"Gondolier"

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13822
2004/07/11 16:39:37 (permalink)

"Gondolier"

The Sundance3 has discovered a new small chain that I feel is good The Italian restaurants are located primarily in the south and tend to be in smaller cities. It is the Gondolier and I have attached the web site for your review.

I have ordered their veal entrees and their pizza which I feel is very good. They specialize in their cakes which are so pretty, they should not be consumed, just admired.

http://www.gondolierpizza.com/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

24 Replies Related Threads

Pwingsx
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: "Gondolier" 2004/07/11 23:12:23 (permalink)
    There has been a Gondolier restaurant in Boulder for many many years. I wonder if they've gone public? Somehow I doubt this.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: "Gondolier" 2004/07/11 23:14:14 (permalink)
    Uh, no. Sorry. Ours is the Cafe Gondolier.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: "Gondolier" 2004/07/12 01:21:21 (permalink)
    Reminds me of an quickie Italian chain we had around here for awhile called "Goombas".. best Alfredo sauce anywhere because it was made fresh every day (by my best friend), full of garlic, butter and cream....
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 241
    RE: "Gondolier" 2004/07/12 08:34:22 (permalink)
    I have been a fan of Gondolier for at least 10 years. I eat their cheesesteak at least once a week, since there is one right down the street from me. The ones here in my town are take-out restaurants, and I wish they were full service restaurants. I had a chicken dish at the one in Rome, Ga. a few years ago that was awesome, and have not seen it since when I have eaten at that location.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/01 14:41:16 (permalink)
    I had lunch this afternoon with Sundancer at the Gondolier on Cedar Bluff and Middlebrook Pk. I was really blown away by the diversity of their menu. Everything from a full range of red sauce and white sauce pizzas, to strombolis, calzones, gyros, everything Italian. I order a stromboli since I had never had one but since I ended up eating half of Paulk's lunch of veal parmisgan (sp?) and spaghetti I did not even have a bite of my stromboli. We also split a piece of Butterfinger cheesecake which was awesome. They had a fantastic array of desserts.
    I can't wait to go back again and try a pizza or calzone. Paul, as usual, is an interesting person to share a meal with and I'm looking forward to another get together with him in the near future.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/01 17:58:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

I had lunch this afternoon with Sundancer at the Gondolier on Cedar Bluff and Middlebrook Pk. I was really blown away by the diversity of their menu. Everything from a full range of red sauce and white sauce pizzas, to strombolis, calzones, gyros, everything Italian. I order a stromboli since I had never had one but since I ended up eating half of Paulk's lunch of veal parmisgan (sp?) and spaghetti I did not even have a bite of my stromboli. We also split a piece of Butterfinger cheesecake which was awesome. They had a fantastic array of desserts.
    I can't wait to go back again and try a pizza or calzone. Paul, as usual, is an interesting person to share a meal with and I'm looking forward to another get together with him in the near future.

If you are fortunate enogh to live in Tennesse or Georgia, please be sure to look this small chain up. Their cakes and desserts are outta sight. Their veal is wonderful and their pizze is wonderful also. They are small and very good. Please see my website at the top to this thread. I think You will be very pleased if you are lucky enough to be close to one of their locations.

Incidentally, I always get their veal parma. It is not a mixture but is a real veal.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/01 18:00:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

If you are fortunate enough to live in Tennessee or Georgia, please be sure to look this small chain up. Their cakes and desserts are outta sight. Their veal is wonderful and their pizza is wonderful also. They are small and very good. Please see my website at the top to this thread. I think you will be very pleased if you are lucky enough to be close to one of their locations.

Incidentally, I always get their veal parma. It is not a mixture but is a real veal.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/01 23:48:03 (permalink)
    Stepping back into the fray for a moment...A "parmesan sub served with fries and PICKLES" in a pizza joint? This is not Roadfood, it is Dogfood (Sorry, Fang, I have a Yummy for you).

"And, Gondolier Specialty Dishes"
    Had enough? How about these specialty dishes? Chicken souvlaki plate, gyro plate, chicken finger plate, and a 10 oz. all beef chopped steak–all exotically satisfying."

I have never been exotically satisfied, let alone by all beef chopped steak -- in public, anyway. O tempora, O mores! Blasphemy! Michael Hoffman will turn over in his grave -- right, he's not dead yet -- well, this might kill him. And Sinatra is on his merry way back from the dead to help rectify this.

From the grave,
    Pepe and Sally
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5392
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 09:36:51 (permalink)
    What lurks in the heart of men?-THE GRAMPY KNOWS!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 10:02:23 (permalink)
    Grampy, I laughed my ass off at your post. It always interests me what topic will bring someone back from the dead, such as you have been. Seems like it is seldom a contribution, usually a criticism.
    Shall I assume that Sundancer and I should not expect you at our next visit to Gondolier?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22598
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 10:31:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Stepping back into the fray for a moment...A "parmesan sub served with fries and PICKLES" in a pizza joint? This is not Roadfood, it is Dogfood (Sorry, Fang, I have a Yummy for you).

Had enough? How about these specialty dishes? Chicken souvlaki plate, gyro plate, chicken finger plate, and a 10 oz. all beef chopped steak–all exotically satisfying."

I have never been exotically satisfied, let alone by all beef chopped steak -- in public, anyway. O tempora, O mores! Blasphemy! Michael Hoffman will turn over in his grave -- right, he's not dead yet -- well, this might kill him. And Sinatra is on his merry way back from the dead to help rectify this.

From the grave,
    Pepe and Sally

It's not gonna get me in any grave, but is it OK if I just spin a bit right here?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 11:02:09 (permalink)
    The Gondelier may indeed be a fine place but the ghosts of my grandparents and mom are ALWAYS peeking over my shoulder to see where I'm eating and i just dont want to deal with them so i made a deal with them---no more Italian except for family owned and operated !!!Its nothing personal,its just that i KNOW they wont serve me anuthing better then i got every day growing up so why set myself up for disappointment when i could get good barbecue instead--or what ever-and when i want Italian---i AM italian and can cook too!& and i've got Noni's recipes!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 11:21:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Grampy, I laughed my ass off at your post. It always interests me what topic will bring someone back from the dead, such as you have been. Seems like it is seldom a contribution, usually a criticism.
    Shall I assume that Sundancer and I should not expect you at our next visit to Gondolier?

I don't know about Grampy, but the idea of an Italian restaurant serving subs with french fries isn't exactly what I think of as an Italian restaurant. For that matter, and Italian restaurant serving subs in the first place isn't what I think of as an Italian restaurant. It might be an Italian sub shop, but not an Italian restaurant.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 11:53:55 (permalink)
    Actually the Gondolier may be more of a roadfood place than you think. They tend to be located in out of the way places and their food is delicious. Perhaps their menu is a bit strange but the food is good and I believe all that tries it will find it very pleasing. They are located mostly in the south.

Please believe me in that I would not post it under any circumstances if I did not believe that most would enjoy their restaurant. They serve you hot Italian bread with a great marinara sauce to start you off. Their dessert menu is available for viewing and everything is very good.

Grampy, I am glad you are back. If you get in Knoxville, please give me a shout and I will treat you to some good groceries minus the pickles. I do not think you will roll over and I will bet that I will make a convert out of you.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 12:03:57 (permalink)
    Paul, I can picture Grampy arriving at your dock in a schooner, or better
    a Chris Craft with Dean, Frank, Sammy & Marilyn and shaken, not stirred.
    ...or maybe Cleopatra's barge.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 12:12:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

Paul, I can picture Grampy arriving at your dock in a schooner, or better
    a Chris Craft with Dean, Frank, Sammy & Marilyn and shaken, not stirred.
    ...or maybe Cleopatra's barge.

If he does, I will greet him with a Canadian with ice. He can tie up and we will resume the trip on my Sundancer7 down the river to maryville, TN where I will treat him to a lunch with pickles and fries at the Gondolier.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 14:49:07 (permalink)
    There is a small family owned Italian restaurant in KC right off I-70 downtown called Anthony's. They serve subs along with fries and pickles. And a respectable Italian steak sandwich. I grew up eating at Italian restaurants that served those items right along with the pastas, steaks and stuffed artichokes. When we go to Anthony's we are usually two of the people dining there who aren't Italian. And aren't over the age of 65! Except for the cute waiters and bartender who all talk like Joey Tribiani. We never thought it was strange that they serve fries and pickles with their sandwiches. They also make a great martini.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 15:44:14 (permalink)
    I guess that's the way things are in Kansas City. I mean, what could you expect from Italian Missourians?
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 15:56:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Grampy Posted - 02/01/2005 : 23:48:03
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the grave,
    Pepe and Sally

Sheesh.............just when I thought my Grampyese interpretation services were no longer needed
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 16:17:39 (permalink)
    Paul,
    I agree, Gondolier is very good. I favor the White Pizza with spinach and roasted chicken. Over 20 years ago my wife and I used to take her elderly Aunt to Gondoliers in Cleveland, TN. It was a fairly old establishment at that time. I dont know if they morphed into this chain or not. We frequent the one at Barrett Parkway in Kennesaw, GA.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 17:36:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by redtressed

quote:
    Grampy Posted - 02/01/2005 : 23:48:03
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the grave,
    Pepe and Sally

Sheesh.............just when I thought my Grampyese interpretation services were no longer needed
    What did we misinterpret?
    I 'm just glad to see there are keyboards for the undead.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: "Gondolier" 2005/02/02 20:53:19 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I guess that's the way things are in Kansas City. I mean, what could you expect from Italian Missourians?
    [/quote
    Well, you could expect quite different cuisine from KC Italians and St. Louis Italians. I like both factions. It's all good..... and most of them include fries and pickles!
    Heartbreaksoup
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 629
    RE: "Gondolier" 2014/10/21 12:56:41 (permalink)
    Necropost!

(Wow, how nice it is that so many Roadfood oldtimers are still posting!)

I swear I'm not going to make this another pet obsession, but there's a chain based/originated in Cleveland TN called Gondolier.  It has 19 locations in middle/eastern TN, plus 15 more in neighboring states (plus at least 2 that were in GA but closed).  Their web site claims that they started in Cleveland in 1974.  That's the chain that this thread was originally about.

There are also, at present, five different pizza restaurants in middle Tennessee called Gondola.  They're in Cookeville, Crossville, Hermitage, McMinnville, and Tullahoma.  The Cookeville Gondola claims to the "The Original" and opened in 1971, three years before the Cleveland "Gondolier."

We visited the Tullahoma Gondola this weekend and enjoyed it, and then I learned about all these other stores.  I just phoned all five Gondola locations and was told that each is independent, and not affiliated with the others.

But these things don't happen in a vacuum.  I have a notion that Gondola was once a chain, but it disintegrated after the Cleveland store went independent, changed its name, and started its own chain.  I can't get much information over the phone, and so I hope some of you good people know...?  I'd just like to try to get a few more facts down before doing a story at our blog about the very good gyros and calzones at the Tullahoma store.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 265
    RE: "Gondolier" 2014/11/08 19:16:10 (permalink)
    On a recent road trip we were lucky enough to find the Gondelier in Tennessee ! Great yes! Roadfood YES! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5