Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia

Author
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 851
2015/02/13 12:20:38 (permalink)

Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia

I was browsing at the Reading Terminal yesterday during my lunch break when I came to the L. Halteman butcher counter. I had noticed USDA prime steaks that were not dry-aged there in recent months. But yesterday, for the first time, I saw dry-aged Wagyu ribeye. It was $30 per pound, which is a lot compared to what one pays for a steak in a supermarket. But compared to every other place I've seen Wagyu beef sold, it's very inexpensive, especially considering that it's dry-aged. Wegman's charges the same amount for dry-aged USDA prime and I've seen Wagyu New York Strip typically go for about $50 per pound when it's not dry-aged. I don't think I've seen dry-aged wagyu beef in this area before.
I couldn't resist and bought one 12-ounce steak for dinner last night. It was without a doubt the best-tasting steak I've ever eaten. I like to treat myself to a high-end steak maybe a couple times per year. I typically get the dry-aged USDA prime at Wegman's, and have also tried their Wagyu NY Strip (not dry-aged) once or twice over the years. Neither were comparable to the ribeye from L. Halteman's that I had last night in terms of either flavor or texture. The meat was so rich that I had difficulty finishing the 12 ounces. Eight to ten would have been enough. It is a fairly thin steak, which is fine. It only needs one to two minutes per side, depending on how you like it, on a very hot cast iron pan over high heat.
If you're in the area and want to try an amazing steak at what is a relatively good price (my steak that cost just over $20 would probably go for at least $75 in a restaurant and at least $50 at any of the other very few butchers that offer this level of beef in the region), I couldn't recommend this place more highly. Of course, it may be best to call first to make sure they have it in stock.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2015/02/14 16:00:29

4 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia 2015/02/13 12:34:41 (permalink)
    I am jealous.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5739
    Re: Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia 2015/02/14 19:54:56 (permalink)
    Obviously, one of the best food benefits of living in Philly.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia 2015/02/15 00:56:54 (permalink)
    As someone once said, "You only go around once but if you do it right, that's all you need!"
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8682
    Re: Great Steak from Reading Terminal in Philadelphia 2015/02/15 07:21:40 (permalink)
    Thanks, Maestro.  I passed along the information to some e-acquaintances that live in the area...and I concur with JRPfeff.  I'd gladly pay $30/lb for a dry-aged Wagyu ribeye!
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5