Helpful ReplyHot!Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
2018/05/16 17:36:01 (permalink)

Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago

Wow, there hasn't been a post in an a thread with "Michigan" in the title since 2009, as far as I can tell.

Don't mind me, just storing what I found here for the moment until I can look through them...
http://forums.roadfood.com/Northern-Michigan-m11488.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/Michigan-Upper-Peninsula-m237835.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/Saugatuck-Michigan-m215747.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/Favorite-place-in-Northwest-Michigan-m195462.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/196-to-Holland-Michigan-m316549.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.com/Lake-MichiganSilver-Lake-Dunes-area-m322003.aspx
http://forums.roadfood.co...Y-MICHIGAN-m86143.aspx

...Anyway, Mr. Maki and I are taking a much-needed vacation in mid-June.  We are driving from Chicago to Green Bay the first day.  We want to explore Door County as much as we can before getting to our Airbnb.  We’ve only been there once for a few hours, but we’ve been to Green Bay itself a few times since we have friends who used to live there. 

We’re spending the night in GB, then our next night is in Rapid River, MI.  It will be the first time in the U.P. for both of us.  We aren’t planning on going too far north into the U.P.  We're not going to the western third of it at all.  We’re not prepared for camping and feel like really doing the U.P. right (with camping) could be a whole week by itself, so I’m trying to mostly stay along the Lake Michigan shore.  If we were going to go north, we’d like to see Painted Rocks National Lakeshore.

Next stop will be Mackinaw City for two nights.  We’ll have the first day driving from Rapid River to Mackinaw, then we’re spending a day on Mackinac Island, then returning to Mackinaw City and moving on the next day.  Looks like we’re going to miss the Lilac Festival by one day.  Bummer.

Currently, that is all we have mostly-set-in-stone with Airbnb reservations and puts us at Tuesday of that week.  We want to drive down the western side of Michigan and be home Saturday night, so we have about four days up in the air.  We want to go to Traverse City and Grand Rapids and I’d like to have dinner at Everyday People in Douglas, near Saugatuck.  Not sure if we’ll have an early dinner and drive home after that, or stay another night and leave in the morning.  Obviously, food is a priority (and keeping it as inexpensive as possible, except for that Everyday People splurge), but we also like history and culture.  We’re going to go to Founders Brewing in Grand Rapids.  We like seeing nature, but we’re not too “outdoorsy”- nothing too “off road”.  Any suggestions for food and things to do and see on any leg of this trip would be very appreciated!

post edited by abe_froeman - 2018/05/23 23:26:19

Attached Image(s)

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/16 17:36:38 (permalink)
That map is the area we're sticking to, mostly along the Lake Michigan side.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8683
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/17 08:18:56 (permalink)
I heard on the radio this morning that according to some kind of survey/research, Green Bay is the most drunk city in America.  I'm not surprised.

More relevantly, Calumet County has the highest concentration of supper clubs in WI if you'll have time for a meal on your way up.  And Chili John's and Al's Hamburgers are Green Bay legends.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/05/17 12:14:51
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 820
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/17 14:12:55 (permalink)
I've been hearing a lot of good things about the tiny Joe's Texas BBQ in Green Bay.  http://www.joestexasbarbeque.com/
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/18 09:02:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/05/19 01:58:09
I live 40 minutes west of GR near lake Michigan.  Been here 25 years. I can recommend:
Traverse City:  7 Monks Taproom and Blue Tractor BBQ
(Take US-31 not US-131 as you head south out of TC - much better access to lake scenery.  You can cut over to GR on I-96 and get there in 40 minutes for your Founders stop, then use I-196 to rejoin the lakeshore route for your stop in Saugutuck/Douglas)
Ludington:  Bortel's Fisheries - fried to order fresh fish and smoked fish to go.  No dining in - picnic tables outside or there's a Township park on Lake Michigan a stone's throw to the south (but poorly signed, Google map it)
Silver Lake:  The Chicken Shack - best wings you'll ever eat according to those who like wings around here.
Pentwater or Shelby - two locations of The Brown Bear, a local favorite for burgers & beer
New Era: Country Dairy Farm Store - nice little lunch restaurant, but amazing ice cream, butter, steak, etc. from the company's own herds.  
Nearby also near New Era:  Lewis' Farm - a gift shop, petting zoo, bakery, produce market.  Not much fruit in season yet in this produce-heavy county (cherries, apples, blueberries, asparagus are big here).  It's a must-stop in mid-June for strawberries or in the fall for apples.  
Montague: Dog N Suds still has car-hop service for well-made drive-in fare - lake perch sandwich and onion rings are my two favorite menu items.  Also picnic tables overlooking the White River are pleasant.  Guard your french fries from the gulls.  There is also a Dog N Suds in Norton Shores to the south, but the location is not scenic AT ALL.
Norton Shores - Whippi-Dip - picnic tables surround this ice cream stand with a pretty big menu - if you haven't had enough lake perch yet, try theirs.  Is hugely popular with visitors to Hoffmaster State Park to the west.  
Grand Haven - Fricano's pizza.  Run out of an old house, very limited topping choices - thin crust only... and the line is always out the door on weekends.  

That gets you to about 30 miles from Saugutuck or Grand Rapids.  Hope you find something interesting here to try.  
post edited by lazycook - 2018/05/18 19:22:53
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12330
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/18 10:36:20 (permalink)
That's a lot of great info lazycook!  Thanks for taking the time.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/18 12:51:57 (permalink)
Wintahaba
I've been hearing a lot of good things about the tiny Joe's Texas BBQ in Green Bay.  http://www.joestexasbarbeque.com/ 

Have you heard much regarding T. Bacon's BBQ?  It's owned by a friend of one of my Green Bay coworkers, and she's told me several times that it's really good.

I don't know if the O.P. has had much exposure to barbecue, though.
mousec
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 316
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/20 19:57:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/05/21 00:05:54
I have heard great things about the Chicken Shack in Silver Lake. I believe that it used to be called Frickin Chicken.

Cherry Hut in Beluah is worth the stop. Great cherry pie, main entrees and sandwiches were just okay.

Jolly Pumpkin brewery restaurant in Traverse City is great, bit spendy.

Lots of locals like Route 31 BBQ, including my wife who grew up in the area. Several locations.

Make sure that you stop and see the worlds largest weathervane in Montague/Whitehall.

Take advantage of the roadside produce stands, many of which are on the honor system. Wife is visiting her sister in Muskegon, hoping that she brings back just picked that day asparagus.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/21 00:18:58 (permalink)
Yes, thanks so much, lazycook and mousec!  

I think I roughly finalized our route, pending the Airbnb search.

Fri, 6/15- Chicago to Green Bay (spend the day in Door County, dinner at Fred and Fuzzy's, Buddy's recommendation)

Sat, 6/16- Green Bay to Rapid River, MI

Sun, 6/17- Rapid River to Mackinaw City

Mon, 6/18- Mackinac Island

Tues, 6/19- Mackinaw City to Traverse City

Wed, 6/20- Traverse City to Manistee

Thur, 6/21- Manistee to Muskegon

Fri, 6/22- Muskegon to Grand Rapids

Sat, 6/23- Grand Rapids to Saugatuck/Douglas, then home!
mousec
Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/22 22:54:49 (permalink)
Asparagus update... $1.50 a pound at the roadside stands in Montague. $3.00 a pound at the 'tourist' stops.

The Wayside Inn, in Montague, hss wet burritos and fried asparagus. I've never had a wet burrito until I met the wife. Growing up in the Chicagoland area it isn't something we see. I believe the 'wet' part is enchilada sauce.
Rocky Enfield
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/23 13:23:28 (permalink)
We went to the U.P. last year and had some really good food at couple of different spots.  Make sure you stop and find a pasty (a U.P. staple).  If you find yourself in the western UP at dinner time there is a restaurant called The Konetka where wild bears come into the back yard and feed on a nightly basis.

If you stop by Tahquamenon Falls (which I highly recommend both the upper and lower falls) you will be in the area of Paradise, Michigan.  A 1/4 mile outside of town is Browns Fish House.  This is a nondescript white building with green trim that has the freshest white fish imaginable.  The Brown's own the fishing boat that bring the daily catch to restaurant where they are cleaned and cook fresh - never frozen - and when the fish run out they quit serving.

On the southern route of the UP is Highway 2.  About 11 miles north of 2 if Kitchi-iti-kipi at state park with the clearest natural spring you have ever seen and huge trout swimming around (no fishing allowed ).  It is a worthwhile detour if you are not on a time crunch.  Further along 2 you will find Gustafson's Smoked Fish in a gas station.  If you like smoked meats and fish this place is OUTSTANDING!

In Mackinaw City I would recommend Mama Mia's Pizza.  This restaurant was founded by one of the construction crew that built the bridge.  It has a fascinating museum upstairs that you can visit while you wait for your pizza to be prepared.  The pizza is mighty fine as well.

On Mackinac Island we ate at the Gate House which is a Grand Hotel restaurant without the formality of the hotel.  Very stellar food.

If you have a chance stop in Petoskey, Mi a cute little town.  On the north side of town there is a old Chappaqua (a small community of houses) that you can drive through and see some beautiful old cottages.  There are some great places to eat and The American Spoon store for fresh made jams and jellies.

South of Traverse City, by about an hour, is an wonderful ice cream stand called Moomers.  Expect it to be very busy.

Down in southwest Michigan on your way home are two burger restaurants that are of note.  Laura's Little Burger Shack in Decatur and Redamak's in New Buffalo.  Both are excellent!

Have a great trip,
Rocky Enfield
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6311
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/23 17:44:34 (permalink)
Rocky,
I'll second your motion for Redamak's with a caveat: They serve a "Working Person's Special" version of their famous Burgers, Monday-Friday, noon-3pm.  Skip it.  The problem I've experienced is, the offer is so popular, they precook many burgers at once, all to the same doneness; medium-well.  If you ask to get the "Working Person's Special" cooked to a particular doneness, you'll be denied.  Better to pay the full price and get a fresh hot Burger cooked to your taste.

Checking abe's itinerary, it looks like they'll be passing through New Buffalo on a Saturday, so the "Working Person's Special" is not available.  Still, good to remember for future visits.

EDIT: Had to jump back in here after scoping out Laura's Little Burger Joint.  Everything about this place screams Outstanding Roadfood.  From their back road location, to the outward appearance, to the tantalizing pix of the Burgers, Laura's looks like a must try!

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2018/05/23 17:53:39
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/23 23:53:33 (permalink)
Thanks for all the info, everyone!  

Mousec, do you mean US 31 BBQ in Muskegon?  We recently went to Taqueria Michoacan in Green Bay that had dipped tortas, "ahogadas", they were called.  I'm not an asparagus fan, but I'm glad people who like it can find it at a reasonable price.

Lazycook, I added most of your suggestions to our spreadsheet (LONG LIVE THE ROADFOOD SPREADSHEET!  ALL HAIL ChiTownDiner! )

Rocky, the pasty places I found for the areas we're going to be in are Gram's Pasties in Escanaba and Hiawatha Pasties in Naubinway.  I'm not sure we're going to make it up to Tahquamenon Falls on this trip.  We're already assuming we'll come back to spend more significant time in the U.P., so it's definitely on the list.  We are planning on stopping at that natural spring with the trout and the raft you pull yourself across the water in.  I know you can't fish, but if the fishie jumps into the raft, do we get to keep it?  Here fishie, fishie, fishie   Definitely plan on going through Petoskey- I have American Spoon and Symon's on the spreadsheet.

We plan on Everyday People in Douglas being our final meal on Saturday, so I don't think we're going to make it to Redamak's or any of the places south of Douglas.

We did decide to skip the overnight in Muskegon, so we're going to go from Manistee on 6/21 to Grand Rapids and spend two nights in Grand Rapids and the surrounding area.  We got what looks like a great Airbnb that's less for two nights than one night in Muskegon or Grand Haven.  
Rocky Enfield
Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/24 14:13:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abe_froeman 2018/05/25 15:09:27
If you are in Grand Rapids for two days you should be sure to check out the Frederick Meijer Gardens, definitely worth a stop it is beautiful.  Also, the have a great art museum in downtown.  The GRAM (Grand Rapids Art Museum) is a wonderful little museum if you have time (and the desire).  Grand Rapids has a very nice zoo as well, the John Ball Zoo, if that is your thing. 

Across the street from the Amway Grand is a fun little bar that has dueling pianos if you need some night time entertainment.

Also downtown are some tasty little ethnic restaurants for snacks or meals.
Rocky Enfield
Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/24 14:16:41 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Rocky,
I'll second your motion for Redamak's with a caveat: They serve a "Working Person's Special" version of their famous Burgers, Monday-Friday, noon-3pm.  Skip it.  The problem I've experienced is, the offer is so popular, they precook many burgers at once, all to the same doneness; medium-well.  If you ask to get the "Working Person's Special" cooked to a particular doneness, you'll be denied.  Better to pay the full price and get a fresh hot Burger cooked to your taste.

Checking abe's itinerary, it looks like they'll be passing through New Buffalo on a Saturday, so the "Working Person's Special" is not available.  Still, good to remember for future visits.

EDIT: Had to jump back in here after scoping out Laura's Little Burger Joint.  Everything about this place screams Outstanding Roadfood.  From their back road location, to the outward appearance, to the tantalizing pix of the Burgers, Laura's looks like a must try!

Buddy

Our mutual friend Buffetbuster told me about Laura's so you know it has to be good.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/24 15:12:54 (permalink)
Rocky Enfield
BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Our mutual friend Buffetbuster told me about Laura's so you know it has to be good.

Right back 'atcha Rocky!

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/24 15:21:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2018/05/24 16:27:51
My last visit in the U.P., I stumbled upon Jozwiak's Bar & Grill, a friendly tavern specializing in pizza and charcoal grilled butter burgers so good, you'll think you're still in Wisconsin.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/24 16:28:45 (permalink)
buffetbuster,

That earned you an invitation to our party on Sunday.

Jim
mousec
Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/25 19:06:31 (permalink)
You are right, it is US 31 BBQ. I live near route 31, hence my mistake.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/05/26 11:19:10 (permalink)
mousec
You are right, it is US 31 BBQ. I live near route 31, hence my mistake.

LOL, gotcha!  
lazycook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/13 14:19:58 (permalink)
Abe_froeman, hope your trip was a good one.  Curious to hear about what good food you found.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 03:20:17 (permalink)
So, I am sad to report that our trip to Michigan was cut short.  We're ok, safe, all in one piece, that's the good news.  

We had it all planned out, Airbnb reservations made in Green Bay, Rapid River, Mackinaw City, Wellston, and Grand Rapids.  I had a CTD-esque spreadsheet of most of the suggestions from here and from my own research.

Our drive through Wisconsin on Friday was lovely.  We had dinner at Skaliwag's in Algoma.  It was our first time there, recommended by some friends who used to live in Green Bay.  It was a great place- outside looks like a small town dive bar.  Inside is casual-but-classy, and the food is AMAZING.  We had alligator nuggets, split a perfectly prepared piece of opah, a fish we'd never had before (with a trio of sides- garlic mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, and bacon grits), and then a piece of lemon-blueberry mascarpone cake.  I would really drive 3 1/2 hours for dinner there again.  It was that good.

We had a lovely evening in Green Bay.  In the morning, I remembered when we would stay with our friends in Green Bay, we'd go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings and get breakfast at a great food truck, the Eggs N' Bacon Wagon, so we did that again.

We took off towards "Wisconsin's Hat", the U.P..  We meandered around- we stopped at a lakeshore park in Oconto, walked out on the berm into the water and the WIND.  Made it to Mickey-Lu-BBQ in Marinette.  It reminded me a lot of Schmucker's in Toledo- VERY old school.  Thin, thin flame-grilled burgers on a hard roll, similar to the brats in Sheboygan.  We also had hand-dipped shakes, and a decent piece of cherry pie (one of only two pie options, so that's where Schmucker's has it beat!)

Stopped at Gram's Pasties in Escanaba.  They had a bunch of varieties frozen to take home, but only ground beef-rutabaga-carrot hot and ready to eat.  It was ok.  I don't have a lot to compare it to; the filling was decent.  I feel like the crust could have been better.  We had another pasty place picked out for later in the trip, but that didn't work out, which I'll get to in a minute.  We also stopped at Sand Point Lighthouse in Escanaba.

We intentionally made all of that take most of the day, taking local roads, stopping at the scenic turn-offs, and got to our Airbnb around 8pm.  Our hosts were lovely, lovely people, who had a lovely, lovely house.  Lifelong residents of the U.P..  Our hostess suggested going down the road to the lighthouse at the end of their peninsula.  We had to go back out for food anyway, so we decided to go before it got dark.

We noticed a lot of deer- mostly does and fawns- grazing along side the road.  We were within 10 minutes of the lighthouse when in a *split second*, I saw a deer >RIGHT THERE< at the front passenger side corner of my car.  There was a loud THUNK and I swerved a little and stopped.  We were ok...the front corner of my car was not.  The headlight was obliterated.  The bumper and fender was cracked and hanging.  The wiper fluid tank was cracked and pushed back, which was pushing the wheel well liner inward and it was rubbing on my tire.  The people driving in front of us must have seen it in their rearview mirror because they turned around to check on us, then drove back to where the impact was.  They said they saw the deer coming out of the brush at full speed, and he was no longer there, so he must have bounced and run off.

We carefully drove back to our Airbnb.  Our hostess felt terrible that it happened, especially since it was her suggestion that we go.  We assured her that we were just glad it was just car damage, and held no grudge against her.  They volunteered to put us up for another night at no charge because the next day was Sunday and no auto places would be open.  

On Sunday morning, after determining that there was no damage to the engine or the radiator, we decided to yank the wheel well liner off and cut off most of the bumper so it wouldn't be flapping while we drove.  Our hosts were encouraging us to go on with our trip now that it was temporized, but we decided that with a missing headlight and turn signal and no wiper fluid capabilities, it just wasn't a great idea.  We knew it would take at least a week for the repairs to be done, and since we have this week off work for what was supposed to be our vacation, we decided to come home and have a "staycation" while we're down to one vehicle.  

So yeah, it's a real bummer that it got cut short and so early on into it.  But hey, our vacation for next year is planned and if they're still in the Airbnb game, we'll get to stay with our new friends in Rapid River, MI again.
post edited by abe_froeman - 2018/06/19 03:21:53
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 09:22:18 (permalink)
Lucy,

I'm very sorry to hear of your disappointment and damage. I'm glad to hear you are both OK.

Did you hear about the storm damage in the UP on Sunday? Were you heading to those areas? Some drone video from Houghton is here.

Jim
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 10:36:33 (permalink)
abe_froeman
We noticed a lot of deer- mostly does and fawns- grazing along side the road.  We were within 10 minutes of the lighthouse when in a *split second*, I saw a deer >RIGHT THERE< at the front passenger side corner of my car.  There was a loud THUNK and I swerved a little and stopped.  We were ok...the front corner of my car was not.  The headlight was obliterated.  The bumper and fender was cracked and hanging.  The wiper fluid tank was cracked and pushed back, which was pushing the wheel well liner inward and it was rubbing on my tire.

Sorry to hear about the car and that your trip was cut short, and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Are you having some sort of sick competition with BuddyRoadhouse?
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 13:12:46 (permalink)
For the record, it was Mrs. Roadhouse who hit the deer on our roadtrip last fall.  Like mother, like daughter.

Buddy
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10545
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 13:33:43 (permalink)
The one thing I learned from all of this is "don't be like a deer caught  in the headlights"
We will make an extra effort to avoid deer on our trip to the U.P next spring
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 15:26:23 (permalink)
That deer hit me, technically!  I think when we re-do the trip next year, we're going to consider renting a car to do it, and avoid driving at dusk or later- that seems to be when they're most active because when we drove the same road the next morning when we left, we didn't see a single deer.  They were all out munching on trees when we got hit.

Yeah, we saw that flooding on TV " />  That was on the northern side of the U.P., on Lake Superior, like due north of Rockford, IL.  Where we were was on the Lake Michigan side, like if you drew a line straight up from Gary, IN.

We visited The Mitten and it gave us The Finger.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10545
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/19 16:32:06 (permalink)
abe_froeman
That deer hit me, technically!  I think when we re-do the trip next year, we're going to consider renting a car to do it, and avoid driving at dusk or later- that seems to be when they're most active because when we drove the same road the next morning when we left, we didn't see a single deer.  They were all out munching on trees when we got hit.

Yeah, we saw that flooding on TV " />" />" />  That was on the northern side of the U.P., on Lake Superior, like due north of Rockford, IL.  Where we were was on the Lake Michigan side, like if you drew a line straight up from Gary, IN.

We visited The Mitten and it gave us The Finger.

They say the same thing about Moose in Maine- they are usually lurking around dusk or dawn- especially during summer and the problem is the moose is usually confused and will pursue  the car as being a potential suitable mate so it may start to circle around the vehicle- just be glad you weren't  hit by a Moose.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/06/19 18:06:39
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3595
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/20 18:27:00 (permalink)

BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Green Bay to Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island via U.P. and Western MI to Chicago 2018/06/20 19:30:49 (permalink)
That's so unfair to our younger viewers.  How could they possibly know that's the late great Moose Cholak, professional wrestler bad boy extraordinaire?  He would have definitely survived a wee bump from a car going 60 mph.

Buddy

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5