Helpful ReplyGrilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2039
2015/04/22 21:44:47 (permalink)

Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved?

I'm sure this must have come up before.  With folks as vehement and vocal about what they want on a dog to the brand ( and the roll!), I can't believe it has been totally ignored.

Growing up, it was always grilled in butter and served on a top sliced bun at our house most of the year.  Summers usually saw an array of blackened/charred long things on a another top sliced bun that had been cooked over a real charcoal grill. The rare "treat on stick" roasted over a beach fire or campfire on an overnighter was a fun time, but didn't happen often.  Hojo's got informally voted best restaurant place for Dawgs, primarily, I think, because it was the only chain on the Cape at the time. Local Charity events would have one of those roller devices similar to what 7-11 uses today to make for a sometimes nicely "grilled" dog.

Then came college.  Although Providence was a mere 100 miles from home, it opened my eyes to a whole new world of Dog preparation.  First, the rolls were mini grinder rolls, no longer split on top, but along the side! Interesting! The college refectory would sometimes offer Dogs for lunch, pulled out of a vat that probably boiled 200-300(or more) and then left them to sit in the hot water until served. Again a side roll and a line at the toppings/condiments table that almost assured it  would be lukewarm to warm by the time you reach a table, along with a bag of chips.

But..........later in the evenings, along came the trucks!  Hot water bath in most..but one enterprising older guy came up with the ingenious "steamed in beer" machine! Most of us still being under legal age, but not totally "devoid of the ways of the world", would readily jump to grab one or two what were to us somewhat illicit babies.

After college came the age of automat type vending machines and microwaves.  Get a (plain) dog, sealed in cellophane, open an end to let steam partially escape.  Nuked for a minute or 2 and you had a nice soft gooey roll and dog. ( Note my wife....not an adventurous nor gourmet type.... still sometimes takes her dog and bun and wraps it all in Saran Wrap for our micro.. at least she only uses brown mustard on it). Condiments/Toppings?.......tough. kid......be lucky if they had a few packets of "stuff" nearby

My preferences, now that I approach my dotage, is still the grilled in butter and the lobster roll type top-sliced bun ( also grilled in butter lightly on each side). Wrap a rasher of bacon around it and I'm in heaven as my arteries scream. Top sliced bun is not as critical. a side slit is sometimes preferable, and makes for an easy landing point for a slice of bacon that was cooked but not rolled around it. The non existent in this neck of the woods, a Linguica dog, is something I still crave. Grilled of course.

My toppings preferences have also evolved; I'd like to think refined. Mustard and ketchup have never been an option for me, I loathe either on anything. Usually the roll will have hoisin sauce lathered down one side, a Boars Head Vidallia onion spread on the other.  I've never been a fan of the "loaded" dogs...way too messy for me. A nice squirt of hot sauce is good if I know I'm gonna have a glass of milk or some ice cream later. Pickles on the side are ok.I prefer sweet ones. Never on them or Gawd Forbid that "relish" stuff you can find.  Some finely chopped up onion on it, tho,  can make me smile.

So.......without risking another flame war that we see among hotdogs/pizza/BBQ fans, do you have cooking preferences and/or a history?
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12231
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/22 21:57:14 (permalink)
My preference is split and grilled, but when I'm in a hurry....  yes, I microwave and like it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23274
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/22 22:07:43 (permalink)
With a real hot dog I like to fix split-grilled dogs. That is, grilled in the round first, then split and grilled inside and out. My preference is a split-top bun, toasted on each side, and then the dog is dressed with grainy brown mustard, pickle relish and warm sauerkraut. What's a real hot dog? It's one that has a natural casing that pops when you take a bite. It can be all beef or it can be a combination pork and beef. And it has to have a little bite-back of its own in terms of spiciness. Not too much. Just enough so that I know it's been seasoned.

For other-than-real hot dogs I'll often make a few cuts and put them in the microwave. These puppies I'll sometimes top with brown mustard, chopped raw onions and a sauce of some sort. One I like is Tony Packo's Hot Dog Sauce. But what I'm talking about is what many refer to as a coney sauce, or a chili sort of thing. Oh, and for these dogs I'll use a standard hot dog bun -- side cut.
Uncle Groucho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/22 22:10:49 (permalink)
I like a dirty water Sabrett dog that hasnt sat too long in the water. I dont like mustard or relish on my dog , I prefer ketchup , raw onion and some horseradish. I tried using bacon on the hot dog , from the cheapest to the best I could find at the butcher and they were all too salty for my taste. As long as i have a quality brand hotdog, I now usually eat it plain. But I would love to try a proper CSD.
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10358
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 04:58:07 (permalink)
Ketchup???????????
Uncle Groucho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 05:24:47 (permalink)
Just a little. 

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9297
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 07:23:31 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic
So.......without risking another flame war that we see among hotdogs/pizza/BBQ fans, do you have cooking preferences and/or a history?

For a hot dog I prefer (in order) grilled, griddled, boiled/steamed, and microwaved.  Since it's already cooked it only needs to be heated through, and the first 2 methods can add some nice char to the casing (preferably natural).  I'm ambivalent about deep-frying, as I've had some good one and some not-so-good ones.  As far as splitting the hot dog goes, it has to be fairly large to be worthwhile.

A toasted bun is always nice but plain is just fine.  In fact, I think I'd rather have an untoasted poppyseed bun (as in a CSD) than a toasted plain bun.
FriedClamFanatic
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 08:12:23 (permalink)
I had forgotten to mention that the only frank I consider to be a "serious hot dog" is a natural casing frank with that delicious squirt on the first bite. You lose that on a split grilled dog, but the latter does add a nice touch. Natural casings are getting scarcer and scarcer!

Hereabouts, the only top split bun we can get is Pepperidge Farm ( I still fondly remember "Charley" delivering bakery goods in his horse-drawn cart - he died in 1984. His ad-name may have been "Titus", it get foggy over time, and there was another guy before him, but Charley endeared himself to thousands if not millions with his "Pepperidge Faahm Remembers" line).  Like most things, the rolls are no longer the same, but they taste good grilled.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 2163
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 08:14:52 (permalink)
Growing up my dogs came two ways.  Tender kiss of a loving grill from my Dad, or wrapped in wonder bread and nuked by Mom.  Ketchup and more ketchup.  Sometimes German mustard, but always ketchup and dipping ketchup.  Occasionally there was the Fukushima neon green relish.  Mostly just well baptized with ketchup.
Davebassman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 376
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 10:11:49 (permalink)
Uncle Groucho
I like a dirty water Sabrett dog that hasnt sat too long in the water. 

That's for me! I like it with deli mustard , hot sauce and kraut
Ed Face
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 10:34:15 (permalink)
I used to love the frankfurters at the HoJo's just outside of Provincetown on Cape Cod. I'd get them in the top split buns sometimes, other times the franks & beans plate with brown bread. Always put mustard & ketchup on them, yum.
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11916
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 11:39:51 (permalink)
I really did like my first CSD at O'Hare.  Otherwise I like the dog split and griddled on a toasted split-top bun with deli mustard and either chili or sauerkraut.  At home we use Boar's Head natural casing dogs.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3686
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 12:53:46 (permalink)
Hot dogs in Chicago and suburban stands are prepared by:
1. Simmering them in 165 degree water for at least 8 minutes
2. Cross cutting the ends, spiral cutting the dog, and char grilling it
3. Steamed

Few, if any, hot dog stands in Chicago/suburbs serve hot dogs this way:
1. Griddled(some inner city stands still serve Maxwell Street Polish this way)
2. Split & griddled(except Shake Shack)
3. Deep fried(some inner city stands still serve Maxwell Street Polish this way)
4. Roller grill(gas stations are the exception)
5. Microwave

Buns are always steamed(no exception)

I prefer char grilled or steamed.

CSD

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 13:54:48 (permalink)
I just cant think of a hot dog after being on the road for 6 months......hopefully I can appreciate them in Chicago.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7349
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 15:02:23 (permalink)
Nothing beats a split & grilled half-smoke.

Photo by Buffetbuster, taken at Weenie-Beenie, Arlington, VA
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 15:49:25 (permalink)
lleechef
I really did like my first CSD at O'Hare.  Otherwise I like the dog split and griddled on a toasted split-top bun with deli mustard and either chili or sauerkraut.  At home we use Boar's Head natural casing dogs.

So you split and griddle natural casing dogs?  It seems it's the skinless kind we see here more often. And you would lose that 'snap' as you bite.  But still good, though?

I am ticked off we cannot get brands like Boar's Head over here in "white bread" land.  Once in a while I'll see some varieties in Milwaukee stores, but not their full line-up in any way.

ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 16:24:03 (permalink)
You are not shopping at the right stores in Milwaukee. If nothing else, there is Usingers...
mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 17:26:26 (permalink)
I love Usinger's chicken apple sausages.    Beats what I can get here by leaps and bounds.  I sometimes find them at Tom's Farm but that's an hours drive from here and they won't guarantee they have them over the phone.  Last few times there, they didn't. 

We get Boar's Head but I now buy my favorite hot dogs... Thurmann's all beef, natural casing and the Original Farmer's Market.  They are my absolute favorite.

For toppings like like deli mustard or yellow if nothing else is available and onions.  If I have sauerkraut I also like that with my mustard and onions.

If I'm opting for a chili dog it's chili, mustard and onions.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 19:48:27 (permalink)
easydoesit
lleechef

So you split and griddle natural casing dogs?  It seems it's the skinless kind we see here more often. And you would lose that 'snap' as you bite.  But still good, though?

I am ticked off we cannot get brands like Boar's Head over here in "white bread" land.  Once in a while I'll see some varieties in Milwaukee stores, but not their full line-up in any way.

Just north of LA Crosse in Holmen is: https://www.facebook.com/TheMobStop
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 19:58:42 (permalink)
I like all Boar's Head products.  Their hot dogs are good, but not as good as this Vienna beef dog I had in March.

mar52
Porterhouse
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 21:27:54 (permalink)
Vienna beef come in second for me but I also love them.

Love that snap!

Used to be able to get them at Orange Julius.
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/23 22:59:27 (permalink)
Wimmer's in Nebraska makes an excellent all beef natural casing hot dog.  I had them in Sioux City, Iowa.  Yes, they SNAP!  They were not split, just grilled.  Very good.
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1542
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/04/26 13:04:23 (permalink)
Can anybody here put into words what the difference in flavor/texture, etc. is with hot dogs "steamed in beer" and hot dogs "steamed in water"?

Bart
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 229
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/06/29 03:00:34 (permalink)
Olsens Piggly Wiggly in Green Bay Wisconsin makes the best cheese dogs one can ever hope to find. Steaming them seems to work best to get the best flavor out of them. I never ruin these hot dogs by microwaving them. 
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 578
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/06/29 09:50:30 (permalink)
I used to have long stays in hotel rooms most of which here in asia have a microwave.  I got pretty good at making home cooked type meals using very basic ingredients and only that small microwave in the room.  So here's a trick to do dogs.  Take two tall mugs of water place the first in the wave till it boils, drop in the dog or perhaps two if you let them get to room temp, as you pulled out the first mug put in the second and boil it, then transfer the dogs to the second mug let them set for about 6 minutes and there you go indirect waved dogs.  
BTW I don't own a wave at home and don't allow them in our commercial kitchen or mobile units!
WarToad
  • Total Posts : 2163
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/06/29 11:34:16 (permalink)
Course ground natural casing dog from our local butcher, grilled on the grill (not flat top "grilled"), must have ketchup and mustard, relish is nice.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/06/30 15:15:42 (permalink)
bartl
Can anybody here put into words what the difference in flavor/texture, etc. is with hot dogs "steamed in beer" and hot dogs "steamed in water"?

Bart

Water boiled or steamed dawgs you get the flavor of the dawg.
Beer boiled or steamed the dawg soaks up a bit of the beer and you get the hoppy taste of the beer plus the flavor of the dawg

We always boil our brats in beer until they swell slightly then grill them and then hold them simmering in beer
Serve with spicy brown mustard and kraut
Dawgs are good in this method too
djtomatoe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/10/11 12:14:06 (permalink)
leethebard
Ketchup???????????

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/10/11 20:51:36 (permalink)
bartl

Bart

There is no difference! Why? Because a hot dog is an encased meat and the only way to change the flavor of an encased meat is to add that flavor to the dog while it's in the emulsion state, before stuffing the emulsion in a casing(skinless or natural). Once cooked/smoked at the factory, the flavor is in the dog.

CSD
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23274
Re: Grilled, Boiled, or steamed..........or really..microwaved? 2015/10/12 11:25:11 (permalink)
On the other hand, if you heat your sauerkraut in beer it makes for a tastier hotdog.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5