Grocery Store Deli Food

Author
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 199
2005/12/04 22:47:15 (permalink)

Grocery Store Deli Food

I have discovered that some of those grocery store deli's are great! We had a new supermarket open this summer right down the road from us. They had a sub special in one of their ads so I though why not? I was surprised, it was much better than Subway or any of the local deli's that I have tried! we went back a few times over the summer......I also bought their boasted chicken for a family gathering and although I don't eat chicken every one else seemed to think it was better than the KFC's!

Butch

20 Replies Related Threads

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/05 09:29:08 (permalink)
    Butch,

I am with you. I regularly frequent our supermarket deli (Publix) and find that their products are top notch. They sell Boar's Head meats, and will make custom ordered subs. I find, though, that their prices for Boar's Head are a little higher than can be found elsewhere. Our local gourmet store, Petty's, has as good a selection for less money (sometimes as much as $1/lb)

Living in an area that has absolutely NO good fried chicken from local restaurants, I also find that Publix fried chicken is a terrific alternative. At their busiest shopping times (afternoons on weekends and during the evening/post-work rush), there is often a wait. However, they will allow you to order boxes while they are in the fryer, and they will hold it for you. As another absolute guilty pleasure, I LOVE their fried chicken tenders.

They also do rotisserie chicken, which is pretty good, too. They have a (relatively) new "mojo" flavor that is quite tasty.

All in all, Publix delis would make a great alternative to fast food if you are on the road traveling in the southern states that they serve. For anyone that considers this important, they are still a family-owned, privately-held company. They hire almost exclusively from within -- such that many of their store managers started out bagging groceries or as checkers. They are generally considered one of the better companies to work, as far as benefits and compensation goes, too.

Enjoy,
    Steve
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/05 09:59:44 (permalink)
    I am glad that I am not alone! The grocery store that I am talking about is Marsh. They have several stores in Indiana and Ohio but I would not call them a chain. They were on the news last week and are in financial trouble and are looking for a buyer, I would hate to see them go! They have a setting area to eat and I can recommend them for a quick lunch if traveling through the area!

Butch
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/07 13:23:13 (permalink)
    Walmart has a great little broasted chicken, especially the MoJo flavor....
    I dont know if that flavor is regional, I am from Florida, and have not checked it out at the local one here in Maine yet...
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23306
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/07 14:17:39 (permalink)
    stevekoe: I find Boar's Head at least $1 a pound less at the Italian speciality store I like than at the Kroger supermarkets here.
    tmiles
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2811
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/07 14:29:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

stevekoe: I find Boar's Head at least $1 a pound less at the Italian speciality store I like than at the Kroger supermarkets here.

That is interesting. Here too, our pizza shop/deli (Pizza Chef, Millbury Mass) has cheaper sliced meat that the supermarkets. As another poster mentioned, the supermarkets do a good job in the deli, but that doesn't mean that they are cheaper.
    Rt66Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/07 20:16:28 (permalink)
    Around St. Louis, Dierbergs has an excellent deli. Very good rotisserie chicken, subs, etc.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3947
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/08 22:01:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Yeah, the supermarkets are convenient to pick up a few items at once, whereas the gourmet store is better for meats, cheeses and deli -- both price and quality. I think that people perceive the gourmet store as being more expensive when the reality is that they are cheaper on a lot of items.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/09 14:22:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by stevekoe

Butch,

I am with you. I regularly frequent our supermarket deli (Publix) and find that their products are top notch. They sell Boar's Head meats, and will make custom ordered subs. I find, though, that their prices for Boar's Head are a little higher than can be found elsewhere. Our local gourmet store, Petty's, has as good a selection for less money (sometimes as much as $1/lb)

Living in an area that has absolutely NO good fried chicken from local restaurants, I also find that Publix fried chicken is a terrific alternative. At their busiest shopping times (afternoons on weekends and during the evening/post-work rush), there is often a wait. However, they will allow you to order boxes while they are in the fryer, and they will hold it for you. As another absolute guilty pleasure, I LOVE their fried chicken tenders.

They also do rotisserie chicken, which is pretty good, too. They have a (relatively) new "mojo" flavor that is quite tasty.

All in all, Publix delis would make a great alternative to fast food if you are on the road traveling in the southern states that they serve. For anyone that considers this important, they are still a family-owned, privately-held company. They hire almost exclusively from within -- such that many of their store managers started out bagging groceries or as checkers. They are generally considered one of the better companies to work, as far as benefits and compensation goes, too.

Enjoy,
    Steve

Except when they got into trouble, and got sued about not promoting the women...And I love Publix, I miss it up here in Maine...There is not one decent grocery store here.. I have a choice.. Hannafords or Shaws, which is ALbertsons.. UGH>> horrors...
    Kinda like a walmart thing.....
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/09 15:56:41 (permalink)
    One of the best parts of Wegman's is it's prepared food. Like the huge subs!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/09 19:29:54 (permalink)
    quote:

Butch,

Enjoy,
    Steve

Publix is my first choice for a deli sandwich when I am at work. They have a good Cuban, also (this was mentioned in another thread, additionally).
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/10 01:37:55 (permalink)
    We have a local chain here in Richmond called Ukrop's which (I'm told) is pretty similar to Wegman's. They do a HUGE business in prepared foods, and some of the larger ones even have cafe seating. You can get everything from sandwiches to fried chicken to beef tenderloin. Their chicken salad is AWESOME. It also consistently makes the "Fortune" list of the 100 best companies to work for and promotes from within much like Publix.
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/10 09:05:55 (permalink)
    I too love Publix, but there's not one near me in Kentucky and it's the first place we go to stock up for the week when we go to Florida.
    Regarding Deli sandwiches, the best around here are to be found at the Liquor Barn --- huge selection of breads, meats (boar's head), toppings, etc. etc. Unless you know what you want going in you stand there and go ummmmmmmmm while you select the components of your sandwich.

Andrea
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/10 09:25:07 (permalink)

Andrea, we were really pleasantly surprised when we saw the Liquor Barn's Deli additions this past year. They have really expanded the products available including some great breads...all first quality stuff too!
    Combine that with the huge selection of special booze and you have a formula for success in the Louisville area! I wish them the best of business luck with the Deli/Liquor efforts.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/10 13:51:55 (permalink)
    Yes Al Liquor Barn rocks. We call it "Liver Barn"
    I agree their breads are very good --- I love the olive bread and the walnut bread and the etc. etc. etc. bread! Their cheeses and sausage selection is also wonderful!

Andrea
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/11 17:18:13 (permalink)
    I have to agree, Publix has a great deli section and the daily made sandwichs are large and fairly inexpensive especially when compared to the chains like subway or larry's. The made to order sandwichs give a variaty that the aforementioned chains can't. Not to mention you can get a large bottle of juice for the price of a ff medium soda! I loved when a job put me close enough to hit Publix for lunch..
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1474
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/12 13:06:18 (permalink)
    My problem is with the pre-made salads, such as potato, or macaroni salad that are like the martini of the salad world , they waive the potato over the jar of mayonaise and call it potato salad.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/12 20:31:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

Butch,

Enjoy,
    Steve

Publix is my first choice for a deli sandwich when I am at work. They have a good Cuban, also (this was mentioned in another thread, additionally).

Oh yes, their Cubans are excellent.. as are all their subs!
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/13 13:31:12 (permalink)
    I sometimes get sliced meat and cheese at chain grocery delis if I know the brand(i.e. Boarshead). However, I never purchase any of the salads. They are vile!!! I especially hate to go to a picnic or pitch-in and someone brings a "tub" of deli potato salad.

Here in Indiapolis we had a wonderful grocery called Atlas(David Letterman was one a bag boy). One of it's many pluses was the deli. Everything was made from scratch. Two or three different kinds of potato salad, mustard,german,sour cream. To die for white meat chicken salad. Too many other kinds of salads to mention. All delicious!! Everything about Atlas was wonderful, but, unfortunately when the owner died, the son closed Atlas. I m still mourning the loss. I don't think I will ever get over it.
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/13 15:00:18 (permalink)
    Chef Solutions Inc. are the company that owns and makes the largest number of brands of food that You find in your deli.

There brands include Berne'A, Yorder's, Michigan and Oval kent.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2415
    RE: Grocery Store Deli Food 2005/12/13 16:16:03 (permalink)
    Another vote for Publix subs. My favorite is the Philly Cheese Steak with "dirty" potato chips and pickle slices on the side. I go out for lunch and get one to bring back to work. By that time everything has "fused" together and is just delicious! Rotis chicken also good but I find I at way too much as I like both dark and white meat, I can never decide which to get so I end up getting a 1/2 chicken...
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5