Handmade Granola Bars?

Author
scrumptiouschef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2688
2019/02/25 21:19:16 (permalink)

Handmade Granola Bars?

Costco had a sale on big boxes of granola recently and I took them up on their discount. I'd like to make granola bars from scratch and was wondering if anyone on the board had recs? My chief goal would be avoiding "sticky" bars. The best commercial ones leave your hands nice and clean when you're finished eating them-I'd like for that to be the hallmark of my homemade bars.

3 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1822
    Re: Handmade Granola Bars? 2019/02/25 22:39:42 (permalink)
    We've never used store bought granola for that. It's really easy to do when you make it from scratch. In fact you usually have to break it up to get a cereal. If I had to guess, I'd say mix up a 1/2 cup of honey and about the same or a bit less of brown sugar and add it to a few cups of the granola. Spread it out on a sheet pan and bake for a bit. That's usually what binds it together when you do it from scratch. Might also put a coating of ganache on it, let it harden then cut into bars. That might do the trick.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3089
    Re: Handmade Granola Bars? 2019/02/26 08:16:42 (permalink)
    3 Cups Rolled oats
    3/4 Cup Sliced Almonds
    3/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
    1 Cup Coconut
    3/4 Tsp Salt
    1/4 Cup Veg oil
    1/4 Cup Maple Syrup 
    1/2 Cup Brown sugar
    1/2 Cup Honey
    1/8 Cup Cinnamon
    cooking spray because the granola will stick to the parchment paper.
    Mix all these together and put

I use a Restaurant heavy duty 1/2 sheet pan lined with parchment paper. I bake at 265 for 1 1/2 hrs for Granola. I haven't made bars but this Granola goes great with plain Greek Yogurt. If your making bars you could bake it for awhile and then take it out and lightly roll over it with a rolling pin. At that point the oats will be soft and easy to roll into a solid flat large bar. After baking is over and the large flat is cooling for a few minutes it could be ready to cut into bars. The cooler it gets the more it will set up......The bars may take a bit of tweaking. But let's face it, if doesn't turn out for bars just break it up for Granola.........

P.S. it may not take that long to bake but that's how long I started doing for. It turned out fine and I never wanted to try baking it higher or for a shorter time...........Good Luck..........PNWCHEF
    post edited by pnwchef - 2019/02/26 08:33:53
    scrumptiouschef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2688
    Re: Handmade Granola Bars? 2019/02/26 09:59:20 (permalink)
    Great. Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5