Helpful ReplyHaving a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche...

Author
titobandito
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
2018/09/18 12:16:29 (permalink)

Having a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche...

Hi everyone!

I've been reading your posts and comments on here for almost a year now, and finally decided to get in on the conversation.

I'm trying to figure out what I should do as a theme for my food truck that I'm currently in the planning/prebuild stage.  The marketing person in me says "you need to niche down" and come up with a very specific concept and brand accordingly.  The people pleasing food guy in me says "you need to diversify so that you don't unnecessarily limit your audience".

Here are my criteria:
  • I plan to roll in (roach coach style), blast the air horn to play Dixie and have some freshly ready-made "grab n go" lunch items. 
  • I'll be going to the customers (at large businesses, and manufacturing factories), not parked waiting for them to come to me.
  • I thought a "cheese" theme would be exceptional since two of my specialties will be specialty grilled cheese sandwiches and specialty Mac N' Cheese.
  • The feedback I've gotten regarding the "cheese" theme is great, but some reservations are that they want "lighter" options for lunch the other 3 days a week.
  • I don't want to feel like I'm in "cheese handcuffs", but I see the value in niche and branding.
I feel like I'm talking to the main Guru's of Food Truckin', so what are your thoughts?  What's your experience say???

I really appreciate everyone here!
~Tito
hpx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
Re: Having a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche... 2018/09/21 01:53:56 (permalink)
Grilled cheese and mac and cheese has been done to death IMO
BluemoonTX
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: Having a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche... 2018/09/21 12:39:47 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby titobandito 2018/09/21 18:08:09
Where are you located?

Keep it simple.  If you are going to businesses and especially manufacturing facilities, realize most will only have 30-40 minutes to order, eat, and get back to work.  A complicated menu with multiple choices/options will kill your order turn around time.

As far as what type of food?  I would do a demographic study of the workforce at the locations you are planning to visit. Are there any other food vendors serving that area.  If so, I would not serve anything similar.

Quick, easy, tasty.  Pick a common regional food and do it better than anyone else.
titobandito
Junior Burger
Re: Having a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche... 2018/09/21 18:24:15 (permalink)
BluemoonTX
Where are you located?

Keep it simple.  If you are going to businesses and especially manufacturing facilities, realize most will only have 30-40 minutes to order, eat, and get back to work.  A complicated menu with multiple choices/options will kill your order turn around time.

As far as what type of food?  I would do a demographic study of the workforce at the locations you are planning to visit. Are there any other food vendors serving that area.  If so, I would not serve anything similar.

Quick, easy, tasty.  Pick a common regional food and do it better than anyone else.

Thanks for the feedback!
I'm in Tennessee.

As for the businesses, I completely agree with the quick turnaround required and that's actually why I'm focussed on the "roach coach" style approach.  Before I leave every stop (heading to the next one), I'll be replenishing my "standards" whatever those become, and having them ready for a "grab and go" pace.

There are a few other trucks that have been in the same area, but they just sit in a parking lot in between many of these businesses and wait for customers to come to them.  The problem with this approach is, that a majority of the businesses pay people during lunch and they are not allowed to leave the premises.  They are allowed to walk outside and smoke or come to my food truck.
titobandito
Junior Burger
Re: Having a difficult time deciding on a Food Truck theme/niche... 2018/09/21 18:36:24 (permalink)
hpx
Grilled cheese and mac and cheese has been done to death IMO

I agree, but with this population, people aren't able to afford much much more than $5-7 a plate.  Also, as I researched most people around here are very much into comfort food rather than something new they don't already know.  I can't even get my mother-in-law to try a legit German restaurant (and her favorite food is sauerkraut).

Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5