Helpful ReplyHot!Headed to Oahu

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12543
2019/05/20 10:06:43 (permalink)

Headed to Oahu

Thanks to Southwest Airlines finally flying to Hawaii, we are only a few weeks away from our first trip to The Aloha State.  We plan on branching out to other islands in the coming years, but we will be staying on Oahu for this trip.

I was able to pick out some interesting suggestions here in the forums, but most of the info is at least seven years old.  Where should we eat?  What should we do? 
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/05/20 12:58:12
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5687
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 10:22:19 (permalink)
Try eating: Dole Whips at the pineapple factory. Shave Ice with Ice Cream and Adzuki Beans. Maui Onion Rings. Pickled Mango Pits. Spam Hotdish.

No swimsuit photos, please.

Update: Important addition above.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2019/05/20 11:37:11
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 10:59:47 (permalink)
JRPfeff-
I was planning on going with the grass skirt photo anyway...

Is the Spam hotdish with or without tater tots?

We very much like the idea of Dole whips.  Is the Dole Plantation tour worthwhile?
post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/05/20 11:04:05
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 11:04:31 (permalink)
With the tots of course. Not Regionally Appropriate orherwise.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 11:05:19 (permalink)
I can't remember the tour, it's been a long time.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1775
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 12:11:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/20 12:43:36
Let's see, from recommendations I've seen elsewhere and bookmarked for my own trip to the island, (someday!):
You have to take Mariton to Elena's for pork lechon!
The Fresh Catch for poké and fish.
One place I have wanted to try ever since I saw it on TV was Mike's Kiawe Broiled HULI HULI CHICKEN. It's a food truck, but it's on my list!
47-525 Kamehameha Hwy
Kaneohe, HI 96744

Another truck is Big Wave Shrimp. The ribs look great!  66-521 Kamehameha Hwy.
Haleiwa, HI 96712

I'd probably search out every sushi and poké joint on the island and eat my weight in them, too. Hope you two have a great time! I think Hawaii must be like NOLA. Very few bad places to eat and so many good ones you'd have to live there to eat at all of them!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3078
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 12:32:57 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby buffetbuster 2019/05/20 12:58:34
Driving in Waikiki is a PITA. If you do drive take the roads heading toward the mountain. Once you go up a few blocks you'll be able to take King street or Beretania St. King goes to the right and Beretania takes you Downtown to Chinatown. Leonard's is only a few blocks up from Waikiki for Hot Malasadas. There are a few places to get them around the island including Ala Moana Center food court. 
  There is a flea market at Aloha Stadium that is worth going to and has good prices. It's 3/4 mile walk, not that far for the entrance to Pearl Harbor. 

Chinatown in downtown Honolulu is as authentic as you'll get in Hawaii. Maunakea Market place has a food court that is worth investigating. The outside markets have fruit and vegetable stands that you can also buy a few things to munch on. There are a few hot items in this area that have hot holding food warmers with Pork. You can buy some of this to eat while walking around. I know of one place that is a small store front with a guy chopping Char Siu Pork that you buy by the pound. Really good tasty pork. Char Hung Sut is the place in Honolulu to get Hawaiian manapua. This is a Dim sum place that you have to get to early they sell out. They only have a few items but they have been in business for over 75 years. 

Nico's Pier 38 has always been good. Real good fish sand. Side Street Inn near Ala Moana Center good fried pork chop, boneless Kalbi and fried rice, Chicken Katsu, Big portions. 

On the same road as Leonards Bakery there is Rainbow drive-in. This is one of the better places for local food. The Shoyu chicken and teriyaki plate is good. They and also know for they Local Moco. This is the kind place that has the local plate lunch. Two scoops rice, mac salad and entree. 

The Shrimp truck on the North shore is for Garlic shrimp and worth the stop. Bring a roll of paper towels you'll thank me later. The Shrimp are a bit messy so when your done walk around the back of the truck and wash your hands. If they yell at you just run like hell and whip you hands with the paper towels I just talked about. After the Shrimp stop at Matsumoto shave ice in old town Haleʻiwa. You'll probably need paper towels after this also. 

Have fun, see if Joe Rogo is having a yard sale. He could have about 1000 Aloha shirts for sale.........

P.S. Mollies name is on the Shrimp truck if you find it I'll give you a buck.

This is the place I talked about with buying the pork by the pound. It's well worth it. I think you could also get Chinese Duck . You'll need paper towels for this also. These people aren't real talkers so don't piss them off. The guy chops with a heavy cleaver. The more you talk the harder he chops.

Fong’s Meat Market Claimed

54 reviews
 Details, Opens a popupRating details

$  Meat ShopsBarbequeChinese Edit

Write a Review Add Photo Share

Save, Opens a popup

Edit
      Located in

O'ahu Market
      145 N King St

Ste 15

Honolulu, HI 96817Chinatown 

Get Directions
  •  Phone number(808) 536-6307 Send to your Phone

These kinds of markets are great in Hawaii. You could find some great to go items. You'll see that many of the local people eat here.https://migrationology.com/hawaii-food-alicias-market-honolulu/ 

If you like snorkeling try Hanauma Bay. It's a bit of a drive outside Waikiki. After spending sometime laying around and snorkeling try Teddy'd bigger burgers for lunch. It's not to far from there. They aren't cheap but the burgers and shakes are good. They also have Tots. There are a few Teddy's around Oahu.
Teddy's Bigger Burger Koko Marina Center 

#36 of 191 Quick Bites in Honolulu

$$ - $$$Quick BitesAmericanFast Food

7192 Kalanianaole Hwy Ste E124, Honolulu, Oahu, HI 96825-1854
+1 808-394-9100
Website
post edited by pnwchef - 2019/05/22 16:40:10
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 12:45:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2019/05/21 11:57:18
pnwchef

Have fun, see if Joe Rogo is having a yard sale. He could have about 1000 Aloha shirts for sale.

They might be baggy and require tailoring to properly fit you Cliff.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9092
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/20 14:23:16 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Is the Spam hotdish with or without tater tots?

Since Spam actually hails from Austin, Minnesota you had your chance 3 weeks ago.

The organizations Dine As Locals Eat and Buy Regionally Appropriate Dishes suggest Spam musubi instead.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2019/05/20 14:26:10
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 10:29:59 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man

This is a great suggestion.  Mariton's tita will be flying from Tokyo to join us, so I will have two lechon deprived Filipinas with me.  We are going to make Elena's a priority.

Thanks so much for the ideas.

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 10:36:52 (permalink)
pnwchef

Chinatown in downtown Honolulu is as authentic as you'll get in Hawaii. Maunakea Market place has a food court that is worth investigating. The outside markets have fruit and vegetable stands that you can also buy a few things to munch on. There are a few hot items in this area that have hot holding food warmers with Pork. You can buy some of this to eat while walking around. I know of one place that is a small store front with a guy chopping Char Siu Pork that you buy by the pound. Really good tasty pork. Char Hung Sut is the place in Honolulu to get Hawaiian manapua. This is a Dim sum place that you have to get to early they sell out. They only have a few items but they have been in business for over 75 years. 

Thanks so much for the wealth of information you provided.  It is very much appreciated.  I did look back at your previous trip report before posting this thread.  Char Hung Sut really jumps out and no doubt my companions will love it.

BTW, we will not be getting a car.  Some combination of taxis, Uber and trolleys will get us to where we want to go.
Root-Beer Man
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 13:21:52 (permalink)
buffetbuster
Root-Beer Man

This is a great suggestion.  Mariton's tita will be flying from Tokyo to join us, so I will have two lechon deprived Filipinas with me.  We are going to make Elena's a priority.

Thanks so much for the ideas.

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 14:10:46 (permalink)
buffetbuster
pnwchef

Thanks so much for the wealth of information you provided.  It is very much appreciated.  I did look back at your previous trip report before posting this thread.  Char Hung Sut really jumps out and no doubt my companions will love it.

BTW, we will not be getting a car.  Some combination of taxis, Uber and trolleys will get us to where we want to go.

Cliff, you may want to rent a car for at least one day. You can drive around the Island and hit some of the outer things on your own. It easy driving outside Waikiki beach area. The Bus system is good on Oahu. It does take longer to get where you're going. Where are you staying ??????
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 14:31:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/21 15:15:37
pnwchef
Cliff, you may want to rent a car for at least one day.

If you do and it's a convertible, put the top up or wear a hat and stay well-hydrated if you're going to be doing much driving during the middle of the day.  The tropical sun doesn't care that you're totally grooving, it just wants to bake you...
JRPfeff
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/21 15:16:34 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
pnwchef
Cliff, you may want to rent a car for at least one day.

If you do and it's a convertible, put the top up or wear a hat and stay well-hydrated if you're going to be doing much driving during the middle of the day.  The tropical sun doesn't care that you're totally grooving, it just wants to bake you...

I can feel the love. Gotta go, I'm starting to tear up.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 07:42:42 (permalink)
pnwchef-
We may end up renting a car for just one day after all, as long as the traffic isn't too bad once you get away from the city.  It sounds like we need to spend some time on the North Shore.

Our hotel is the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach.  No doubt after a few days, I will want to get away from people...

Thanks for the concern ScreamingChicken.  With how much I despise being in the sun, there is no chance of us renting a convertible.
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5310
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 08:02:21 (permalink)
JRPfeff
pnwchef

Have fun, see if Joe Rogo is having a yard sale. He could have about 1000 Aloha shirts for sale.

Chef....nice to hear from you....I think?

Whaddayou sayin Jim?

I got nuttin for you on this one Cliff, enjoy!!!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 10:57:17 (permalink)
buffetbuster
pnwchef-
We may end up renting a car for just one day after all, as long as the traffic isn't too bad once you get away from the city.  It sounds like we need to spend some time on the North Shore.

Our hotel is the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach.  No doubt after a few days, I will want to get away from people...

Thanks for the concern ScreamingChicken.  With how much I despise being in the sun, there is no chance of us renting a convertible.

Cliff, after reading all your trip reports over the years Waikiki beach area will get old fast. Waikiki is a small area and really congested. Driving is ok if you know how to get away from the traffic. You're staying in the heart of Waikiki. Like I said you'll just need to drive up and out of it to get aways for the traffic. The same goes for coming back in. We could talk and put your mind at ease. Some of the places I mentioned could be taken care of with Uber or taxi. The trip around the island should be done with a car going to Haleʻiwa. This is about a 36 mile trip and also on the way to the Dole Pineapple plantation. One day will be a full day with trying to fit everything you'll want to see. Pearl Harbor and the Aloha flea market will also take time but could be done another day. 
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 10:58:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/05/22 11:32:07
joerogo
JRPfeff
pnwchef

Chef....nice to hear from you....I think?

Whaddayou sayin Jim?

I got nuttin for you on this one Cliff, enjoy!!!

Hi Joe.....
Root-Beer Man
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 16:42:12 (permalink)
Looks like the Arizona Memorial is still closed. https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/22 21:21:26 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Don't give up on the idea just yet...keep the top up and the A/C on during the day and then drop it when the sun goes down.  One of my best memories of my lone visit is that of Mrs. C and I taking our rented Mustang convertible for an after-dark drive around Kaua'i.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/23 07:55:57 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
buffetbuster

Don't give up on the idea just yet...keep the top up and the A/C on during the day and then drop it when the sun goes down.  One of my best memories of my lone visit is that of Mrs. C and I taking our rented Mustang convertible for an after-dark drive around Kaua'i.

Now that does sound wonderful.  Thanks for sharing that SC.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/23 07:57:00 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Looks like the Arizona Memorial is still closed. https://www.nps.gov/valr/faqs.htm

Yeah, I was really disappointed to find this out.  We do have reservations for the boat tour around the memorial.
edboogie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/23 08:10:21 (permalink)
Hi buffetbuster,

As someone who has been to HI over 35 times here are some ideas for you to kick around:

Tours/excursions:  The Dole factory tour/maze is not memorable. Pineapple whip is good.

Pearl Harbor has 4 attractions:  The Arizona memorial (free and first come first serve, if it is open I would get there early or you could wait all day to get out there, very moving), USS Bowfin a submarine you do a self guided tour thru, USS Missouri, a battle ship (highly recommend paying for the guided tour as they take you places inside the ship others dont get to go), Pacific Aviation Museum (lots of cool planes and you can see bullet holes in the hangers from the attack!!!)  all four are on Ford Island, and you need to take a bus to get there.  Get your tickets for whichever you want first then catch the bus.  You could spend anywhere from 2 hours to a full day here.  If you only do one, I would pick the Arizona or Missouri.

Diamond head hike.  Public park, if you drive go EARLY or you will have to wait/be turned away from parking.  It is a good hike with lots of steps and switchbacks, but the view from the top is totally worth it.  BRING WATER, and lots of it, you will thank me.  And once you get out of the long tunnel, go left, it is much easier.  You will understand.  (On top of Diamond Head is where I proposed to my wife)

The north shore is where sunset and banzia pipeline beaches are, these are where the big waves are and the best surfing is.  Depending on the weather, the waves will be massive or just ok.

Koko Marina is a quaint little water spot with lots of water activities.

Aloha Tower.  Famous icon, but no longer much to do there, as a university has taken over pretty much the whole place.  If you see a whale watch on the Star of Honolulu, pass, as this huge ship had the roughest ride I have ever been on, and in 2 hours we saw all of zero whales.

I know you are not a drinker, but a couple of food places you may want to consider:

Kona Brewing company in the Koko marina.  They have something called Pepperoni Rolls, which are like nothing I have had anywhere, and I never go to Oahu without getting them at least once.  Actually I usually order extra and bring them home with me!!!

Maui Brewing Company, right across the street from where you are staying, has something called the Silversmith pizza (macadamia gremolata, 2 kinds of cheese, roasted garlic, white sauce).  A bartender told me to order it with bacon added, and it was something out of this world.  

Hula Grill is right next to your hotel, and probably the best thing I ate the last time I was in HI was the short rib slider appetizer.  I cant remember if it is on the regular menu, because we went and ate at the bar during happy hour.  Did these twice and they did not disappoint.

This might be more than you want, or need, but I have gotten so much from you over the years based on your pictures and reviews, I just wanted to give back a little bit.  
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/23 10:29:08 (permalink)
edboogie-
So much great information!  Especially about Diamond Head, since we planned on making the hike.  Hopefully there will be a snack bar halfway up! 

Hopefully Hula Grill will have the short rib sliders when we stop in.  Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of this up.
edboogie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/24 07:46:34 (permalink)
One other thing came to me, the Honolulu zoo.  It is walking distance from your hotel, and a pretty good zoo, if you like zoos.  
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2919
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/25 09:40:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/05/25 10:36:17
Cliff, I was briefly in Hawaii with a traveling children's theater company in 2001, performing at public schools across the islands. Our sponsors in Oahu took us to the Dole Pineapple Plantation and we really liked it. The half & half (iced tea & pineapple juice). Very refreshing! I don't remember much about the maze or the fields except being amazed at how green and lush everything was. Safe travels and have a great time!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12066
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/05/25 20:11:29 (permalink)
It's been many years for me but I've been to Oahu a few times.  I don't know if it's been mentioned, but some of my best meals in Oahu were at a Korean stall in the Ala Moana mall.  That's before Korean became such a big thing here in Los Angeles, so the flavors were new to me.

I loved the Portuguese sausage and rice served with breakfast.  Banana pancakes with coconut syrup I still dream of!

If they still have the ABC stores (convenience stores like 7-11) you can find some very interesting snack foods to hold you over between meals.

I also enjoyed the Dole Pineapple Factory tour but did not really care for the tour of The Arizona.  I was upset that the tour guide spoke only in Japanese.  It also took up more time than I really wanted to give.

One of my highlights was finding out that there was a huge swap meet out of the city.  It helped that I had a car.   Food stalls at the swap meat were terrific.

Seafood is great in Hawaii.  I really liked the Ono which here is Wahoo.

Snorkling in Hanauma Bay freaked me out.  I panicked.  So...  I got a raft and stuck my face mask in the water.  Worked perfectly that way to see the fish.  Watch out for the sun.

I even checked out the McDonald's to see if they offered anything different and they did.  Different dipping sauces for their McNuggets which I used on fries.  I like trying anything different... even fast food.

Have a wonderful time!

buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/06/06 12:28:06 (permalink)
billyboy
Cliff, I was briefly in Hawaii with a traveling children's theater company in 2001, performing at public schools across the islands. Our sponsors in Oahu took us to the Dole Pineapple Plantation and we really liked it. The half & half (iced tea & pineapple juice). Very refreshing! I don't remember much about the maze or the fields except being amazed at how green and lush everything was. Safe travels and have a great time!

Always a pleasure to hear from you my friend. 

We are leaning towards renting a car for the day and the fact that our hotel has a Hertz Car Rental makes that even easier.  If do, we will visit the Dole Plantation.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Headed to Oahu 2019/06/06 12:33:29 (permalink)
mar52

Seafood is great in Hawaii.  I really liked the Ono which here is Wahoo.

My wife has already announced that she will be eating seafood every meal.  At least every "non-lechon" meal.  Both her and her aunt are very excited about going to eat at Elena's for Filipino food.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2019/06/06 12:36:38
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5