Helpful ReplyHot!Hello from california!!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
2017/02/05 05:24:58 (permalink)

Hello from california!!!

Hello everyone, my name is Sam. and I would like to say that I'm new to the forums, but I'm not and I thought it was time to step out of lurking phase and introduce myself. I'm working on a build which I've recently acquired a 1990 chevy p30 step-van. and even through all the warnings of buying a metal box. I did it anyways due to the fact that the van was in my budget and the 350 motor runs like a top. and the brakes works. ( minus the e-brake ) which will be addressed as one of my priority concerns. even though the shell have a handful of cosmetic rust in areas which seems to have seen some "interaction with other objects" I'm not too concern about any cancer.  I used to work in a body shop and was raised as an automotive mechanic. and have fallen in love with cooking and have worked in a couple of restaurants as dish washer, bush boy, line cook, fry cook, and even sushi chef. I've worked on a couple of food trucks as well. so I'm no stranger to " that food truck life " I will try to post pictures of the build as soon as I'm able to. and even though I've read countless posts I will still need much guidance as the project goes on. thanks in advance.
sm1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/07 03:35:41 (permalink)
What will you sell?
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 337
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/07 19:31:40 (permalink)
Hey I thought I would just say Hi back from the great white north.

No truck work goin on today other than planning.

Tonight's temp will be -38 C  which is -36.4 F.

So think of me in your 60 degree weather !!

You would have to drop almost 90 degrees to be where we are !!  WTF?? right?

Once you guys join with Canada... expect that some of us may be moving in real quick!

post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/02/07 19:36:34
paulnye
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/07 21:39:50 (permalink)
kreativekvs209 
Eager to see pics of your truck
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/08 15:47:21 (permalink)
sm1
What will you sell?

I will be selling Hawaiian poke, spam masubi, sushi and some other Asian type food which we haven't figured out yet. But poke is for sure.

Blakkmoon. Lol I'm sorry about your geography, if it makes you feel any better, we are starting to flood here in the Centro cali. And the rain is preventing me from doing any major work on the van.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/08 15:51:13 (permalink)
paulnye

Eager to see pics of your truck

Yea I will have to create a new photo bucket or other photo uploader to try and share pics here. (Any recommendations? )
Hopefully since I've been a member since 2011, they'll let me slide with the post minimum. Lol, or I can just wait.

I will be starting a build post, so I can share more of this project.
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/08 19:16:58 (permalink)
ooooooo rain!    
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/18 23:53:30 (permalink)

kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 00:17:26 (permalink)
wo0o0ohooo so I guess that I can upload pictures now...
so since im not a rich or well off person, being the sole provider in my beautiful family with 2 kids and 2 dogs. living off of a working man's budget. this build will be slow and will involve me working 100+ hours p/paycheck to get her going. even though my job would hate to help me leave them they are more then happy to shot OT my way as much as they can. that being said.

I'm constantly looking through craigslist and facebook market place for things that I would need. and luckily I've came across acouple of great finds.. I've found this counter top reach in fridge for ( drum roll ) $50, too good to be true right? that's what I thought. so after contacting the seller and hearing that " It works great" I decide to take the trip which was a town over (about 15 min. drive) to check it out. I've ask for the fridge to be unplugged but readied to be plugged in so I can see it get cold... and sure enough when I got there, it was sitting in front of the house warm and ready to be tested. shortly after a quick walk around I had it plugged in. with-in a minute it got cold. about 40 degrees F.  and so I politely asked if I could wait awhile to see if it'll kill itself and peel over or what not. but sure enough it stayed true. about 40 minutes later and no haggling. I threw her the money as hard as I can. launched the fridge with a fierce throw into my truck, and drove off like I stole it. but a couple of weeks before that interesting interaction, I came across a rv fresh water tank on FB marketplace  for (drum roll please) $40. the seller had absolutely no idea how much water it can hold, but with my keen eye for awesome finds I figured it had to be at least 30 gallons. anywho, it took me quite a while to get to the residence of the seller. due to the need to withdraw said payment amount from my bloodthirsty, undeserving, loves my money but not me Bank. I was about 15 minutes late of the promised time for which we had agreed on meeting. but after a look around the tank. and asking the obvious questions. such as where did it come from. does it leak? I brought out my phone to ask my loyal companion ( GOOGLE ) due to the dimensions. how much water this container could hold. being as I was slightly very late for the meeting. the sellers have grew rather annoyed about how long this transaction was taking. so out of the blue and with a rather harsh and angry tone. the lady spouted. " if you can buy it this instance i'll let it for for $20 " I gave the lady one look, gave her a your an idiot grin slapped the 20 in her hands and rocketed myself and my accomplice out of there.

comes to find out it this tank can hold 40 gallons. which was perfect.

post edited by kreativekvs209 - 2017/02/19 00:21:04
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 00:25:48 (permalink)
that being said.. here in the great flood plans of California I'm required have my grey water tanks 50% bigger then my fresh water tank. and since my grey water is @ 40 gallons. I'm planning on buying @ 25 gallon fresh water tank. and I will also need a pump. so I'm looking for any recommendations or links would be great. i cant afford the top of the line equipment but would like something decent and dependable. thanks in advance.
hpx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 01:46:16 (permalink)
kreativekvs209
that being said.. here in the great flood plans of California I'm required have my grey water tanks 50% bigger then my fresh water tank. and since my grey water is @ 40 gallons. I'm planning on buying @ 25 gallon fresh water tank. and I will also need a pump. so I'm looking for any recommendations or links would be great. i cant afford the top of the line equipment but would like something decent and dependable. thanks in advance.

50% Larger? That seems way high. In my area it is more like 15% larger for grey.
For a pump go 12V Flowjet. Excellent pressure. Simple and cheap to fix if ever a problem. 
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 10:57:34 (permalink)
Great scores!!

Do you have to include the hot water tank volume in your 50% calculation?
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 22:01:59 (permalink)
@blakkmoon no i don't. 

California is pretty anal about fresh water to grey water.. trust me. i would love a 35 gallon fresh water tank to my 40 gal. grey water.  but it's no big deal because i wont have to much dishes to worry about in the truck. mostly for hand washing.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 22:05:07 (permalink)
btw i got a chance to work on the truck the other day. and boom!!!! the frame for the service side is up..
after i finish the in the wall plumbing and running the electrical to the location of the breaker. i will knock down the sliding door. and build the wall and door.. i may just go with a metal rods because it's smaller and sturdier. we will see once this rain let up.
paulnye
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 23:21:23 (permalink)
kreativekvs209, how are you going to construct the wall where the back door will go? Could you explain your reference to 'metal rods' ? What kind and size of door will you get? I might go with a steel plain slab ext door in a 2x4 wall.
It looks like you are framing out a 2x4 wall over the top of the existing aluminum one which will reduce overall width. Why not just go with plywood onto of the original aluminum studs?
Also, do you have a rear bumper?
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 23:49:42 (permalink)
If you are having a genny and tanks on the back..
You may ant to relocate the lights  before you do too much framing.
Also- are you putting in a backup camera?

Do any TRUCK wiring before before you put too much into the framing and walls.
Easier than having to work around stuff.

I even want to mount my waste tank before my floor goes in.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/19 23:50:50 (permalink)
paulnye
kreativekvs209, how are you going to construct the wall where the back door will go? Could you explain your reference to 'metal rods' ? What kind and size of door will you get? I might go with a steel plain slab ext door in a 2x4 wall.
It looks like you are framing out a 2x4 wall over the top of the existing aluminum one which will reduce overall width. Why not just go with plywood onto of the original aluminum studs?
Also, do you have a rear bumper?

I'm using 1 1/4'' studs for the frame. I'm only framing up this side, because I'm having my hand washing sink close to the rear next to the serving window. while my 3 bay sink will be towards the front of  the same wall, and since I'm not sure exactly how I want to make my service table. I'm going to create some space between the outside wall and the inside wall for running all the plumbing I need for the hand wash sink's hot/cold water pipes and the drainage plumbing. I've talked to the inspectors and they said that if it's in the walls then I don't have to worry about all the regulations to make all the pipes " easily cleanable ".... honestly all the framing wood and hardware costed me about $20. which is not much to cancel out all of the headache. but the other side I will be just boarding up to the truck's metal frame. ( after I run all the electrical lines )

for the back door, I'm going to be using square metal tubes to build the frame for the walls and the frame for the door. which will be a massive door. just in case I decide to add or subtract major appliances. then insulate with left over insulations ( insulation isn't too important for me since I'm here in central California which seldom gets below 0 ) then covered with plyboard then frp. on the inside. then I'm using the leftover sheet metal which I've taken off of the cargo area walls, for the outside.. ( or I may just buy new sheet metal for the outside depending on funds at the time of doing.

and yes I do have a nice and sturdy rear bumper.  if your thinking about where I'm going to be posting  my genny, just know that I will be framing up  a box for it on the front driver side bumper so it will be as far away from my service window as possible. and I'm placing my breaker box directly behind the driver seat.

I have acouple of "paying" projects coming up which will fund my back wall and door. so hopefully with-in a couple of weeks I should have pictures up.
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/20 00:09:48 (permalink)
aaaahh
didn't realize the genny was a front mount.
I'm not allowed to do that here.

And sorry but insulation is just as important for keeping heat out as keeping cold out.

But yeah, in a truck full of....kitchen and open windows....who know in the end.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/20 00:32:02 (permalink)
the good thing about my set up is that I'm only going to have 1 sandwhich prep fridge, A counter top reach in fridge a microwave and a couple of rice cookers.. which means no hood vent needed. not even a mechanical fan. but I am contemplating buying a ceiling mount ac unit. but i'll cross that bridge when I get there.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/20 00:50:01 (permalink)
what do you guys think about THIS deal for fresh water tank and pump?
post edited by kreativekvs209 - 2017/02/20 00:51:35
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/20 11:40:56 (permalink)

My thought is that you will want at least a 300 cfm fan to pull a cross breeze.
Pull out humidity etc.
post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/02/20 11:49:04
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/21 20:07:58 (permalink)
Blakkmoon

My thought is that you will want at least a 300 cfm fan to pull a cross breeze.
Pull out humidity etc.

i was thinking the same thing. maybe i'll mount it on my back wall that the back door will be on.. it'll be nice on them hot summer days.
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/21 21:13:57 (permalink)
Yeah, you won't always need an air conditioner, but will probably always use a fan.

That one I picked up at menards would be nice.
3 speeds, louvered outside.
Cheap, easy to replace.

I am trying to figure out how to mount mine AND use my hood.

Like you, I don't require a hood & fan.
But I have one, so I want to try to use it.... with this fan.   But the fan is a little big.

I may just do it without the hood.
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/21 21:28:30 (permalink)
BTW  that tank and pump look like about the best deal on there.

Those tank prices seem to fluctuate like fuel prices.

Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/21 21:36:35 (permalink)
kreativekvs209
the good thing about my set up is that I'm only going to have 1 sandwhich prep fridge, A counter top reach in fridge a microwave and a couple of rice cookers.. which means no hood vent needed. not even a mechanical fan. but I am contemplating buying a ceiling mount ac unit. but i'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Looks like you can getaway with a 3 or 4 kw inverter type genny.
Small, quiet.

When I was looking at that size, I was thinking that I could maybe mount it UNDER the hood.

Maybe a couple of the smaller suitcase style ones running in parallel.
Then you only need to fire up the 2nd one if you get real busy.

kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/22 19:56:59 (permalink)
Just a quick update. So I picked this 3 compartment sink up off of a guy from the Facebook marketplace for $175. came with faucet water hoes and drain strainers and what not. the dimensions are 58" x 19" and the sinks are 10" x 14" x 10" . just what the H.D. likes. well it didn't come with legs but I'm going to build a frame for it, similar to Reeses' first build. now I'm just waiting for a day off and some free time to fab up my back door and figure out what I want to do with my flooring. 

Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/22 22:12:55 (permalink)
Up here in Canada we can't have water hoes....
They freeze to the street corners.....  except in summer.  :)

Oh and I just wanted to let you know how much you suck 

I just saw this today, while browsing my local ads
Thought you would get a kick out of it

Yeah.... thats what prices are like here...  no fun.
kreativekvs209
Hamburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/23 04:44:01 (permalink)
Blakkmoon
Up here in Canada we can't have water hoes....
They freeze to the street corners.....  except in summer.  :)

Oh and I just wanted to let you know how much you suck 

I just saw this today, while browsing my local ads
Thought you would get a kick out of it

Yeah.... thats what prices are like here...  no fun.

holy moly. about another $50 and you can get a new one here.  it's funny that I work for a Canadian printing company here in ca. I heard you guys stop selling beer at like 10pm.  I probably couldn't handle that. I'm over here complaining about our 2am deadline.

on another note.. I've been racking in overtime at work and havnt had any time to work on my truck, and this weekend I must spend some time with the family, these little boogers kinda miss me. lol . but I will start putting in some elbow greese as soon as possible.
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/23 08:53:05 (permalink)
Yeah, I have mentioned some other stuff on other threads about our pricing.
But it seems that anything that has the work "commercial" on it is gold.
It comes back to the fact that NEW stuff is so much $$.

I checked out a 48 inch prep table last year.
New $4800.00.

I am always happy to see someone get a good deal.
I'm just gonna razz you about it. 

And no on the beer thing.
They sell beer at all hours.

Big difference is that we have beer "stores" that pretty much only sell beer.
They are almost exclusively part of a bar of hotel.

The only liquor stores we have are owned and operated by the government.
We don't have privately owned liquor stores here.

And we pay 2 to 3 time more for our booze - it all goes to the government.

We always get a big kick outa the fact that down there, you can walk into Wally world, grab eggs, milk, & diapers, then grab a case of beer, a bottle of crown, a concealed handgun, and bullets, all in the same shopping trip.

Be good to that family of yours...... one day..... you will need them to run run and grab you some supplies !!
Blakkmoon
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello from california!!! 2017/02/24 09:26:48 (permalink)
Hey I just wanted to mention...
I was just reading through OUR HD rules and saw this pertaining to the tanks.

Liquid wastes resulting from the operation of an outdoor mobile food unit shall be stored in a permanently installed retention tank that is at least fifteen (15) percent larger capacity than the water supply tank and any hot water tank.

I know the rules are different down there.
I just want you to double check your rules before you order a tank.
If you have to have 50% larger waste tank...
Do your calculations right.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5