Helpful ReplyHot!Hello to all, new to forum

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/05/12 13:41:14 (permalink)
Today we had the HD inspector stop by and check things over. He was happy with everything he saw, and handed over the application for final licensing, ($200). All that is left is finishing up things. He did say my front grey tank drain was too small, but leaned in and said "don't worry about it, just go with what you have" Happy days ahead folks! On a different note, last night we experienced severe tornadic storms... I watched a funnel cloud pass over lake and then my house. Rain swirled in all directions and top of one of my tall trees broke over. A few shingles missing but other than that we were spared. Luckily the food truck was in town at my shop and spared damage from any wind and very large hail stones. The perils of having a truck in an area prone to nasty storms.... I guess that's what insurance is for!
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/05/12 13:41:14 (permalink)
Another double post....
post edited by NOSHp20 - 2017/05/12 17:18:11
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11466
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/05/12 14:25:54 (permalink)
NOSHp20
Today we had the HD inspector stop by and check things over. He was happy with everything he saw, and handed over the application for final licensing, ($200). All that is left is finishing up things. He did say my front grey tank drain was too small, but leaned in and said "don't worry about it, just go with what you have" Happy days ahead folks! On a different note, last night we experienced severe tornadic storms... I watched a funnel cloud pass over lake and then my house. Rain swirled in all directions and top of one of my tall trees broke over. A few shingles missing but other than that we were spared. Luckily the food truck was in town at my shop and spared damage from any wind and very large hail stones. The perils of having a truck in an area prone to nasty storms.... I guess that's what insurance is for!

Congratulations and good luck on the days ahead!  I've been following from the get go and it impresses me with all you can do.

Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 509
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/05/12 16:03:02 (permalink)
Congrats!!
Happy to here it's goin so well. ( other than the storms )

NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/05/12 17:32:55 (permalink)
Have to do a couple of very long days to finish things up. HD ticked off the boxes of things he wanted to see, and really paid no attention to the few things not done yet. So that tells us we are on the right track to a good final inspection and certificate.

post edited by NOSHp20 - 2017/05/12 17:36:34
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/02 19:20:53 (permalink)

My son is town from college for the summer to work and stoke up money for his next year of college. He has been a HUGE help in pushing along final assembly as you can see. Much work is getting done, not far now!

Attached Image(s)

Chef Anjana
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/05 08:12:50 (permalink)
NOSHp20
Electrical system is currently going into the walls finally! I'm still waiting on the painter to get free and get busiy on it.
In the mean time there are some things getting done. Anyone building a truck knows that there is always items to do and tweaks to be made. Since we are first time builders,  there have been many "tweaks" along the path.

The points you told are really fact. because we are first time builders.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/07 18:24:19 (permalink)
Chef Anjana, good luck on your build, and hope for good end result. Everyone here is excited to see this thing on the street, mouths watering in anticipation of good eats!
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/28 10:02:45 (permalink)
Have not been on in a while, to update you, the truck is basically done as far as construction. Have been testing systems, fixing bugs and other issues as they arise. The truck needed air bags, due a lot of sagging. Went out to local merchants to buy the system and ended up with a purchase installed for a little over $600 mark. Saved time and headaches.... Next purchase was an a/c unit and that goes in Thursday. (I found a used unit from a pop up camper and bought it, but the concern was that it might crap out) The gen unit being hard mounted also went out the door. The thing is a screamer, even with a car muffler. working on a compromise that makes the operators happy and makes the one rear door usable again. Hears some pics of the water tanks in, and the former gen setup. We have a gig booked on the forth, so that is the first voyage and service for us.    
More to come on the pics, and hopefully a video of the first outing to show the truck in operation. Sorry for the lack of details on the build, I just don't have the time right now....Curt
post edited by NOSHp20 - 2017/06/28 10:07:40

Attached Image(s)

Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/28 20:14:43 (permalink)
Good luck on your event!!
So jealous!  I wanna work!!

What is that thing in pic 1 that looks like a keg??

The genny is a screamer.
But I believe that with the right box I can get it very quiet.
I have already done a test run and proved it.
I bet your EXHAUST  is quiet.
But your intake is loud.

Otherwise its hello Honda.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/28 21:02:10 (permalink)
Yes the exhaust is really quiet, but like you have said... the dang intake burbling... I was shot down on the "hush" house for now. We may put it on a sliding drawer made for gen units and slide it street wise, with a partial hush house. Don't know right now?? That "keg" is actually the front grey tank drain. The pic makes it look funny. The outlet was 1.5" and I had to comply with regs to have a proper drain and cover, so I converted it 3".... It of course leaked and required a re-seal. Looking fwd to the first service, the chef is quite excited for this. The host said up to 1500 ppl and several other food trucks. Hoorah!
post edited by NOSHp20 - 2017/06/28 21:03:38
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 00:42:53 (permalink)
I did a post on my build thread on my experiment with a generator.
Without even building a box, I was able to quiet it down to where we could stand right beside it and talk normally.
And this was in a back lane surrounded with fences and garages, so it echoed pretty good.
It registered 67 db on the meter.
But it seemed SO quiet.
At 30 feet away, you could barely even hear a thing.

With a box it should get even quieter.
I have already sketched up the plan and bought more insulation.

When I ran it without the mocked up box.
You could hear it two blocks over.

I plan to do the box for now, then see how that goes before trying to build a drawer.
I am pretty sure I can build one to go under the truck, but there is very little room.
I need to build the box first and see if I can get it small enough.

Other issue is that I have not yet decided on a generator.
There is a new model out that is 15 kw, but it is 3 times the price.
post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/07/05 00:26:12
RodBangkok
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 554
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 09:14:58 (permalink)
I think I posted this somewhere on here, but not sure.  Anyway there are two main ways to isolate a generator, one being mounting isolation, or rubber mounts to isolate the vibration from the surrounding surfaces, thus eliminating sound generated from those vibrating surfaces.  

The second is to mute or absorb the sounds the unit creates, this is done using a blimp, a word that is usually associated with the motion picture industry, such as a blimped camera or generator.
Blimping is best accomplished by channeling the sounds from the source thru passageways with right angles such that the sounds are absorbed before they have a chance to exit the chamber, yet still allowing air to flow thru those channels and provide cooling.  I've attached a drawing that illustrates this channeling, the downside is it takes up space and requires forced air thru the channels to insure efficient cooling.  

This may help, its worked for us, we line these inner channels with an insulation material that also absorbs sound throughout its path and use a high force ventilation fan to insure lots of fresh air flow thru the generator chamber.

http://www.soundproofing...infopages/generator.htm
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 18:54:31 (permalink)
I have read that page over and over, plus lots of others.
I'm using a different design, but the same principals.
Sound does not like to travel around bends, but air does.

My hope is to disassemble the generator to get rid of the frame.
Move the control panel.
Take out the factory muffler and pipe it directly out to an external car muffler.
Using ceramic header wrap tape and isolating and insulating that pipe.

Also removing the gas tank and either putting it outside the unit, or plumb into the truck's tank.

This should cut down on space requirements, and reduce the heat build up inside the unit.

Here is a basic mock up.

Using the insulation ( because it is pretty solid - almost like a 2 inch thick board ) to make the baffle channels.

Trying to isolate the intake baffles from the rest of the system so that there is no back pressure created.
Generators need air for combustion.

I have actually thought of just using an old freezer as a starting point.
Instead of trying to construct a box.

It's already an insulated, sealed, air tight, waterproof, box ....just need to line it with the roxul and cut the holes for all the ports.  And mount the generator.

Baffles made from the roxul.
post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/06/29 18:56:44
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 22:31:53 (permalink)
Man that sounds adventurous, with all that custom fab work....it gives me an idea about the possibility of striping down the yellow screamer and mounting it under the truck?? Don't know, just thinking out loud. But this has some merit.
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 23:11:13 (permalink)
Yup...that was my original plan.
But until I actually have the generator on the bench, I don't know how much I can strip it down.
So the box is the current plan.

I would love to do the same design, just small enough to fit under the truck.

I might do the box first, then work on the under the truck later.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/29 23:38:17 (permalink)
The only real estate I have is under the left side, and that side is "heavy" on the cooking line equipment. Had to airbag the rears to stop it sagging and prevent a possible broken leaf spring. The gen weighs in at a hefty 250lbs before gas. But I can envision a suspended hush box with a drawer, and that thing stripped down to just the main part. Maybe even recycle that car muffler, it has a grant total of 5 mins run time. Got me thinking here........
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 00:37:16 (permalink)
Mine would be in the same space.

I was going to use air bags too, but did not get time to order them.
I do have a set of these helpers kicking around.

I have used them in many trucks over the years.
Never had a problem with them.
Cheap, install in about 30 min. 

I just got this this roxul insulation.
It is pretty compacted compared to the stuff I did my test with.
That stuff was more fluffy.
I hope it has the same sound absorbtion properties.
I already know it is fire resistant.
May have to double up in some spots.
It will allow me to make things really tight fitting.
There has to be insulation top and bottom and all 4 sides.

If I do it under the truck.
I will still use a similar design for the box.
Just put the fan towards the outside of the truck.
And change the direction of the baffles.
I'm thinking of pulling both intakes from the bottom.
Eliminate both shrouds, because they were just for noise deflection.
Then just re route the muffler.
Maybe UP at the back left corner.
Just to make sure that exhaust gas does not get suck into the intake.

The generator already has the rubber isolation mounts, so thats easy.

I think that with the gas tank removed or moved the entire unit is only about 15 inches tall... maybe a little less.
I really like the idea of running it off the truck gas tank.

The one thing I am doing different than almost every other design I have seen, is the fan.
I want to PULL the air across the unit.
That will pull out heat as well as pull IN outside air.

All the others seem to think you have to blow outside air in to the box.

I dunno, maybe it's just me...
But if you blow a fan at a wall ( like my baffles ) the air won't go far.
But you can PULL air for hundreds of feet.

Course I have been called a wack job by a lot of people for much less!!

I can't wait to build it.
Just so I can tell Honda to suck it 

post edited by Blakkmoon - 2017/06/30 00:59:31
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 01:02:05 (permalink)
I have also read that switching to some good synthetic oil like Royal Purple can help with the noise as well.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 09:04:57 (permalink)
Blakkmoon
I have also read that switching to some good synthetic oil like Royal Purple can help with the noise as well.

I can tell you as a 30+ year professional auto tech, that synthetic oils due "quiet" things down, reduce friction, and reduce operating temps. By how much is well researched. Once my unit is run in for a spell, I plan on Amsoil small engine oil in it from then on. I have run their products in all my stuff since '79'. I like the roxul insulation, but don't think I'm going use that to hush the gen. Having it underneath the truck is plus, and all I need is to isolate the floor and two sides from heat/noise. Pulling air is the key, if you look at all automotive, trucks, & marine they all "pull" air across the radiators, or compartments with a fresh air intake. The puller fan itself could be a source of noise, depending on where its mounted. I figure on the bottom and pull air from the side through a grill. All this speculative because I have to clear any new mods with operator.
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 14:11:51 (permalink)
That makes me feel like I am on the right track at least, with the air.

Without the insulation, I would not even attempt to quiet the unit.
It absorbs so much of the sound that it was amazing.

If all you do is enclose it with wood or metal, you will just create a drum.
That will then transfer to the truck itself.
IMO

LITERALLY . .taking a batt of insulation and laying it against the genny and leaning a piece of plywood against it to hold it in place, cut the noise so much, I almost SHI ....
Well worth $50 for a bag of insulation.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 16:01:07 (permalink)
I'm going to insulate for noise and heat, just not sure what type if I get a green light to "experiment". Def don't want a drumming affect on the truck.
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/06/30 19:29:46 (permalink)
If you look around ( google )
You will see that roxul is used for REAL sound suppression.
People are using it in their home studios and places like that.

I tried 1/2 inch pink styrofoam.
And 1.5 inch thick white styrofoam.

Both seemed almost useless.
Especially if you compared it to the roxul.

MAYBE if I would have constructed a total sealed box it would have been different.

I could see a layer of roxul, then a layer of pink styrofoam, instead of wood, then aluminum skin glued to it on the outside.
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/03 09:00:56 (permalink)
In preparing for that service we tested systems and finished up installing needed stuff. To my embarrassment and horror I discovered the propane pilots would light and go out. We purged and "re-set" the first stage reg to no avail. The system lacked flow, you could hear flow when turning on the main valve, but then it stopped... (During all this bluster I did some sleuthing on propane flow rates and BTU requirements etc.) Had to sleep on it, because now its past midnight....Tried the same procedures again and same result. Went back the LPG workman's manual, and then I saw it... Fire protection clause that advised the used of DUAL stage regs in the primary not single. Luckily I had a spare reg that came with the truck stashed at the shop, that happened to be a two stage Rego model. We popped that thing on and slooowly opened the valves, lit the pilots, and waala the pilots flared up and all LPG cook stuff roared to life! Lesson here is read the regs more carefully, use a DUAL stage for first stage on high BTU systems. The first stage single I bought was brand new out the box, must have been dropped, don't know??  (pissed about this thought) That's my 2 cents worth of experience, hope it helps others.
post edited by NOSHp20 - 2017/07/03 09:05:11
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/03 14:30:18 (permalink)
Passed final HD inspection with flying colors today! Now time for the chefs to feed the people and make the $$
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/03 14:55:31 (permalink)
So happy for everyones success-but these posts should be in the professional forum-you will get more feedback..
hpx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/03 15:06:55 (permalink)
NOSHp20
Passed final HD inspection with flying colors today! Now time for the chefs to feed the people and make the $$

FANTASTIC! Best of luck to you. Be ready to rethink your entire layout and menu many many times once you open.
Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/03 20:36:04 (permalink)
Congrats!
You guys will rock it!!
NOSHp20
Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/04 12:42:36 (permalink)

My very lame attempt to hush the gen down a bit and get it through a few services until a new stock muffler arrives. Most likely the thing will be out on a long cord until a new plan for hefting it on/off the platform is made. The wheels & handle are standing by for re-assembly. Its open on the intake end so lots of cooler fresh air go in. Ran it on a 90+ degree day with a load and so far ok. Shot down any plan to strip and mount under the truck, so for now engineering needs to be done to satisfy the operators keep noise down for customers.

Attached Image(s)

Blakkmoon
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Hello to all, new to forum 2017/07/05 00:32:14 (permalink)
So I have to ask...
Why not just get a smaller inverter genny?
It does not look like you are pulling huge wattage.

Then you don't have such a battle with the screamer.

Doesn't have to be a Honda.
There are a lot of reasonably priced units.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5