Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?!

Author
foodiekac1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2014/08/11 12:09:15 (permalink)

Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?!

I recently started a new chef job and have major concerns because of the owners lack of experience.  This is a new start-up and massive in scope.  Three separate Concepts are supposed to come off of one kitchen line/pos system and I have never herd of this before.  The concept(s) are a fine dining, family style and bar and grill.  Is this even possible, how in the world would you even begin to execute this?

Thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10398
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/11 13:36:23 (permalink)
    I did fine dining and pub food at one of my restaurants (no family style for me) and we had no problems.  You have two menus, one for the burgers, chicken sandwiches, wings, nachos, etc. on one menu and the steaks, seafood, rack of lamb, etc.  on the other.  The owners' lack of experience means nothing.  They are there to pay the bills and take care of the building.  You, as chef, are expected to take care of every aspect of the kitchen including hiring and firing of personnel, writing menus, etc.  The dining room manager takes care of the dining room and the bar and that staff.  It's really very easy.  Good luck!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11587
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/11 22:41:44 (permalink)
    lleechef
    I did fine dining and pub food at one of my restaurants (no family style for me) and we had no problems.  You have two menus, one for the burgers, chicken sandwiches, wings, nachos, etc. on one menu and the steaks, seafood, rack of lamb, etc.  on the other.  The owners' lack of experience means nothing.  They are there to pay the bills and take care of the building.  You, as chef, are expected to take care of every aspect of the kitchen including hiring and firing of personnel, writing menus, etc.  The dining room manager takes care of the dining room and the bar and that staff.  It's really very easy.  Good luck!

It's only easy if you have good experienced people!
    New place + Chef not sure what to do + new people = DISASTER!
    foodiekac1
    Junior Burger
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/12 11:10:08 (permalink)
    I was more concerned with the functionality of doing gastro pub-ish and simulated Haute Cuisine at the same time and throw in a family style on top of it.  Variances with pick up times, expediting and prep storage.  I can expo from mid with moderate service but this is a big footprint so for pushes I will need a designated expo.  Cross talk with two let alone three concepts is an issue as well.  Selling food and coordinating two concepts with a lot of cross over is doable but still not advised.   I'm trying to figure out how to get a green staff to baste proteins, add a few drops of white vinegar to a glazed turnip pick- up and cook a large "supreme" pizza to go??? All out of a twelve foot hood.  The mise will have cross over of course but still.....

I disagree completely regarding inexperienced owners, there are different types of owners and its all situational.  If your lucky enough to be funded by a hands off "Whale" that allows experienced staff to run the show then great! These scenarios are few and far between because generally anyone who has skin in the game wants two have a voice in daily operations. There are few "Silent Silent" partner situations.  If you do not own your own place and work for "The Man" at least this is a tolerable situation and probably fairly common if you are allowed to do your work.       
    Worse case scenario is an owner who has no experience and is involved in daily operations.  Trying to explain how it this all works to someone who just spent a lot $$$ on build out that you should walk before you run and that maybe just maybe multiple revenue streams at start-up are probably not such a hot idea can be difficult communicate.    
    #****show

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10398
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/12 11:37:05 (permalink)
    Well, maybe I was just lucky.  The three independent restaurants I worked for (I am not talking about resorts and hotels I was at) all had over $2K in yearly sales (this was in the 80s and 90s) and the owners were rarely involved. 
    I also never had a "green staff".  It's not a cooking school!!  All my sous chefs and cooks had plenty of experience so all they had to do was learn the ingredients in the dishes and how to plate them properly.
    I don't see why you can't get fine dining, pub and family style all off the same line at the same time.  There were many times we did private dinner parties for 50 or more, while still cooking for the dining room off the same line.  Be organized.
    Again, good luck! 
    foodiekac1
    Junior Burger
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/12 12:16:40 (permalink)
    I may have difficulties getting quality staff members because of the shallow labor pool in this market.  I am currently resourcing students from culinary programs but would rather have experienced staff members for sure just may not have that option?

Thanks for the advice and I do appreciate it.  I may be over thinking it just trying to figure it all out. 

Cheers!       
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    Re: Help!!! Multiple Concepts out of one hot line, is this possible?! 2014/08/12 16:12:37 (permalink)
    Try not to look at it as they're are different concepts-streamline things to where its all one big menu with a vast difference from items to items.  If you build the line/crew/expo, etc. to accomodate for a large/differing menu then you'll be able to execute things together.  Soups and salads take longer to cook than whole fish, lamb racks, etc. and but are often on the same menu.  Once you get get timing down and the proper "Fire" system in place you'll be able to execute things perfectly.  Time the courses and delegate the dishes to the right stations and you'll be able to do it fine.  Just don't over think it or over complicate it
    Jump to:
    © 2016 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5