Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo

Author
CpSpalding
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2005/11/05 00:27:35 (permalink)

Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo

A friend and I go on baseball roadtrips every Summer and along the way we try and find cool attractions and great places to eat. 2 years ago it was Pramarties and the O in Pittsburgh. This year it was Ted Drews and The Hill in St. Louis and LC's and Strouds in KC. Next year we're going to Toronto, Detroit, and Toledo. We need help. Any good recommendations?

15 Replies Related Threads

mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/05 01:01:01 (permalink)
    Check the search function section of the site and type in Toledo, Detroit or Toronto This will help you find what you are looking for.And as a Marx Brothers fan I can only say:

Hooray for Captain Spaulding, the African Explorer.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/05 01:17:37 (permalink)
    Toledo Tony Packos
    www.tonypackos.com There is supposed to be a new restaurant
    opening near the Fifth Third Field in downtown Toledo
    TorontoTips
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/05 02:28:46 (permalink)
    I have tons of suggestions for when you're here in the Toronto area... there are literally thousands of options - let me know what you love, and I can load you up with great ones - amazing chinese bbq pork and duck, top notch buffalo wings, fire grilled portugese churrasco chicken, killer jerk chicken and hot jamaican patties, etc. etc. ...a couple off the top of my head:
    - Toronto's amazing hot dog carts with fantastic grilled dogs and sausages with dozens of available toppings to build your own & cost just $1.99 canadian for a dog or 2.99 for a huge italian or polish sausage grilled fresh while you watch.
    - Toronto's "Chip Trucks" sell fresh-cut fries to die for - huge mounds of golden fries really cheap - try them Canadian style with salt & vinegar or beefy gravy - or go crazy and try 'poutine' (pronounced poo-tin in french) which are fries topped with white cheese curds that melt when the hot beefy gravy is ladled on top and make a delicious gooey treat - amazing with lots of black pepper. Best trucks can be found on Front Street near the CN Tower (Don Juan's is one great one), on Queen Street in front of City Hall, or on virtually any route north of the city heading towards 'cottage country'.
    - Detroit area - (or Port Huron - faster route across the border and into Toronto than Detroit) look for "Chicken Shack" - a local chain of cheap and cheerful chicken joints that 'broast' amazing crispy fresh fried chicken, wings, local fresh fish and famous 'shack fries'. I can't drive through without stopping!
    As I said, feel free to let me know your food passions and I'll share my fave Toronto options.
    Cheers,
    .James.
    CpSpalding
    Junior Burger
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/06 12:39:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tips. I was looking for the search function for some time before finally finding it. As for what I'm looking for I love signature local places preferrably moderately priced. I'm very open to anything ethnic, though my friend is a bit more timid. I'd love to hear a bit more about the Portuguese chicken. I also am definitely keeping the chicken shack and the hot dog and fry carts and Tony Packo's on my list. Very observant on the Marx Brothers name--I made it as my AOL name about 10 years ago and a lot of people just assume my name is Chris Spalding or something.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10203
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/06 12:49:13 (permalink)
    You can't leave Detroit without trying one the signature Coney Dogs. Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island are right next to eachother and are a short 5 minute walk from the Ballpark. Any of the fantastic Greek Restaurants in Greektown are a must, also a short walk from Comerica Park. In 1998 and 2000 I went to the Parthenon. Get the Greek Combo, it was excellent both times!
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/06 13:02:56 (permalink)
    Also when in Toledo, try one of the many Middle Eastern restaurants. The Beirut is the best known, but there are many good ones. Toledo has a large Lebanese population and that's why there are so many good
    places to eat.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 419
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/06 19:20:50 (permalink)
    Back to Detroit ...
    Lafayette & American Coneys are a five minute walk from Tiger Stadium
    Unfortunately the Tiger's moved to Comerica Park, which is a 20-30 minute
    walk to those coneys ... Got Body Armor ? ... Better drive ... It ain't Chicago ... " />
    Detroit Coneys ... American, Athen's, Apollo, Athenian, Capital, Coney Island Inn, Detroit City Coneys, George's Famous, Greek Isles Coneys, Genies Wienies, Grandy's, Great Lakes, Kerby's, L.George's, Lafayette's, Lefty's(Eat right @ Lefty's),Leo's, Hellenic, National, Olympia & Olympic,Senate, ... and I'll skip to the end ... Zef's ... all rate an
    Another Suggestion ... Buddy's Pizza, http://www.buddyspizza.com/
    Six Mile & Conant ... it's a local Detroit Experience
    TorontoTips
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/08 23:25:59 (permalink)
    For amazing portuguese piri-piri chicken grilled over real wood, I absolutely, positively guaranteee you won't be disappointed with Churrasco Villa in north-central Toronto:
    http://www.toronto.com/profile/109296/?cr_index=1

Cheers,
    .James.
    marvantis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/09 11:39:31 (permalink)
    Hi
    Tony Pacos is too main stream. The last time my family and I ate there, 3 months ago ,we were wondering why we ever started to eat there in the first place. We are native Toledoians now living in Ann Arbor. We still drive to Toledo to well eat.

If you are looking for good pizza try The Original Ginos. There are several locations around town. Make sure you order garlic butter on the pies. They put it in with a great big bbg sauce mop.

J & G,s Pizza in Sylvania, Ohio (suburb) is one of the countries greatest eating establishments. It is a very small place with a limited menue, but what they do, they do well. They serve thin crust pizzas, Gyro, Pasta, spinache pie and grilled chix and pork. Oh and wonderful greek salad. Make sure you order enough pizza to take some home. The true flavor of the pie is revealed at room temp. They are open daily from 4pm to midnight. If you want to eat in plan on a little wait... They are always busy!

Margaret

GeoNit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2005/11/09 12:47:31 (permalink)
    Here are some website links for visitors to Toronto, Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake:

Toronto links:

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g155019-i55-Toronto_Ontario.html (general Toronto forum)
    www.chowhound.com/canada/boards/toronto/toronto.html (Toronto food/restaurant forum)
    www.stlawrencemarket.com (city food market house)
    www.torontofoodies.com (miniToronto restaurant review/photos)
    www.foodpages.ca (Canadian restaurant locator maps/locations)
    www.menuplace.com (some Toronto restaurant menus)

www.toronto.com (general Toronto information)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca (Toronto government website)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/index.htm (transit authority website)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/family_pass.htm (transit day pass information)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/parks/island/index.htm (Toronto Islands & ferry schedule)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/path/index.htm (Downtown 16.5-mile underground walkway map)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/torontomaps/index.htm (interactive city map)
    www.greenp.com/tpa (Toronto Parking Authority lot locator interactive map)
    www.greenp.com/tpa/parkinglocator/attractions/Attractions.jsp (parking lots near attractions)

www.torontoeatoncentre.com (Downtown indoor shopping mall)
    www.tdcentre.com (Downtown indoor shopping mall)
    www.firstcanadianplace.com (Downtown indoor shopping mall)
    www.bceplace.com (Downtown indoor shopping mall)
    www.geocities.com/cplarosa/toronto/malls.htm (map locating 46 Chinese shopping malls)
    www.first-markham-place.com
    www.pacificmalltoronto.com
    www.marketvillage.net
    www.torontomalls.com/mapsfrm.htm (shopping mall map)

www.rom.on.ca (Royal Ontario Museum)
    www.ago.net (Art Gallery of Ontario)
    www.gardinermuseum.on.ca (ceramics museum)
    www.batashoemuseum.ca (shoe museum)
    www.masseyhall.com (theater venues)
    www.mirvish.com (theater venues)
    www.hummingbirdcentre.com (theatre venue)
    www.tso.on.ca (Toronto Symphony Orchestra)
    www.nationalballet.ca (National Ballet of Canada)
    www.coc.ca (Canadian Opera Company)
    www.fourseasonscentre.ca (new home of ballet/opera opening 2006)

www.rogerscentre.com (indoor stadium formerly known as Skydome)
    www.theaircanadacentre.com (indoor arena)
    www.ojc.com (Woodbine -- flat & harness racing)
    www.hhof.com (Hockey Hall of Fame)

www.canadas-wonderland.com (amusement park)
    www.cntower.ca (CN Tower)
    www.casaloma.org (Casa Loma)
    www.osc.on.ca (Ontario Science Centre)
    www.torontozoo.com (Toronto Zoo)
    www.ontarioplace.com (Ontario Place)
    www.harbourfront.on.ca (Harbourfront Centre)
    www.city.toronto.on.ca/culture/fort_york.htm (Fort York)
    www.trca.on.ca (Toronto Regional Conservation Authority/Black Creek Pioneer Village, etc.)

www.thestar.com (Toronto’s largest daily newspaper)
    www.nowtoronto.com (alternative weekly)
    www.torontolife.com (monthly city magazine)

www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml (Toronto’s neighborhoods – photos & text)

www.torontotourism.com
    www.tourismtoronto.org

If you are looking for a Toronto website and can’t find it among the links shown above, here’s a portal with eight more pages of Toronto websites:
    www.math.toronto.edu/toronto

Niagara Falls (NF) and Niagara-on-the-Lake (NOTL) links:

www.city.niagarafalls.on.ca Niagara Falls city government website
    www.niagarafallschamber.com NF Chamber of Commerce website
    www.niagarafallstourism.com NF Tourism & Convention Bureau website
    www.niagaraparks.com Niagara Parks regional website
    www.wfol.com Winter Festival of Lights
    www.regional.niagara.on.ca Niagara regional government website
    www.winesofontario.org Ontario wineries website
    www.niagaraonthelake.com NOTL city website
    www.shawfest.com Shaw Festival (NOTL) Website
    www.TripAdvisor.com/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara_Falls_Ontario.html NF Forum
    www.TripAdvisor.com/ShowForum-g154999-i270-zNiagara_on_the_Lake_Ontario.html NOTL Forum
    CpSpalding
    Junior Burger
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2006/07/25 00:03:59 (permalink)
    Well it has been a long time, but I wanted to thank everybody. I had some amazing food on the road.

Detroit
    The Parthenon - We foresaw a lot of hotdogs on our trip so we passed on the Coneys. My lamb was very tender and quite delicious. The roast potatoes seemed overpowered by the lemon. My friend enjoyed his macaroni type dish, but didn't think it was better than Greek Town in Chicago. Overall, it was a C+

Toronto
    Churrasco Villa - Quite delicious. This was my friend's favorite meal of the trip. The chicken was juicy and flavorful and I even had a Portuguese custard for desert that was quite good. A solid B+

The Groundhog Pub - A place I discovered not far from Churrasco Villa with amazing sandwiches. The prime rib sandwich is especially good. It is nicely seasoned and not at all fatty. I give it a B

Don Juan's - I had to try the carts. The guy is a riot and I would put it up ther with the O in Pittsbugh. The dog was great and the fries with gravy were very good. I couldn't finish a medium. This is a B+

The Rebel House - I saw this on the web. Some readers voted this as a top cheap eat---wow it was good. They have a Canadian theme and all their beers are from Ontario other than Guiness and one beer from Montreal. The food is cheap and elegant, trying to be distinctly Canadian. My friend enjoyed his elk and my Poutine was perfect. We only stopped for snacks, but looking at everybody else eating, I could tell we weren't the only ones who loved the place--I give it a solid A.

Toledo
    Tony Pacco's - We were beat and it was right between the park and the hotel. We liked it. The hot dog was really good, but the chili I had and the fries we split were just average. I give it a B-

Grand Rapids
    Arnies - We had wanted to do the Mountain Jack's but it was closed. This small chain had great sandwiches and OK soup. We took milk shakes with us on the way. It earns a B.

I know I look like an easy grader, but I figure everything was reccomended. We didn't have a bad meal at any of these places, but some definitely stood out more than others. Thanks for all your help. We really wouldn't have discovered a lot of these places without you. We also used those links from GeoNit to get some ideas for things to do in Canada. Next year is probably Milwaukee and Minneapolis.
    blubarry
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2006/07/29 18:42:24 (permalink)
    in Toronto,
    Penrose Fish and Chips on MT. Pleasant just south of Eglinton. They are closed for a few weeks every summer but great fried halibut. Also Hollywood Gelato on Bayview in the Leaside neighbourhood has great stuff . Love the creamy blood orange.
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2008/09/20 14:36:40 (permalink)
    I had some excellent Goulash this past week at a place on W. Market called The Budapest, a great Hungarian restaurant. Been there about 75 years, the last 51 as The Budapest. Paprikash, Goulash, Stuffed cabbages and peppers seem to be the main fare. Highly recommend.

Almost forgot to mention this place was in Toledo not real far from Tony Packo's.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12018
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2008/09/22 08:44:13 (permalink)
    Earl of Sandwich-
    Glad to hear that you had a better experience at Budapest than I did. I went there earlier this year and was served some really bad chicken paprikash. The table next to me was eating the goulash and it looked much, much better.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 814
    RE: Help -- Toronto, Detroit, Toledo 2017/11/16 07:20:01 (permalink)
    Nine years later...

Is Original Gino's in Toledo still a good option? Heading to the Toledo Zoo next weekend and was looking for a good pizza or burger place for lunch.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5