Help with cross-country road trip

Author
essvee10
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
2017/02/02 12:01:22 (permalink)

Help with cross-country road trip

Hi RFers. I'm driving cross country in a month. Going from Oakland CA to the Grand Canyon, with a stop in the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest and maybe a stop in Sedona. From there it's straight to El Paso for a layover. On to San Antonio for a day, and then to New Orleans, where I've never been. 

Looks like we will be going 70 to 10 from AR to El Paso, could do the interstate but I'm more interested in scenery. 10 from El Paso to San Antonio. 10 to Lafayette, then dropping down to 90 for a little longer trip through New Iberia, Morgan City, etc. to New Orleans. We have other destinations from there but I'll do another thread for those. 

We are traveling with dogs, so our stopping and staying will be limited. Would love to spend days in New Orleans but the reality is that since we can't be going inside anywhere with the pooches, and keeping them in the car for extended periods of time is a no-go, we will stay only a couple days there, with emphasis on walking (in the safer parts, I hope!). 

I'm hoping to hear about some good Roadfood along the way, if there are any must stops for a meal or two in El Paso, ditto for San Antonio, and most importantly everyone's absolute musts for New Orleans, and a must stop on that leg from San Antonio to New Orleans. Tourist/sightseeing recommendations asked for and welcomed as well. Thanking you for your help. 

10 Replies Related Threads

Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 13:00:25 (permalink)
    Dupuy's Oyster House in Abbeville, La just south of Lafayette is a good bet. Enjoyed our food and time there.
    post edited by Trask - 2017/02/02 13:01:46
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 11956
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 14:07:32 (permalink)
    Two places in El Paso I really enjoyed last April are L & J Café and Rosco's Burger Inn

R & J bills itself as "The Old Place by the Graveyard".  How can you resist that?  They have been open since 1927 and their signature dish is the green chile enchiladas.  I also really enjoyed the tres leches cake.

Just a short distance off I-10, before leaving New Mexico and crossing into Texas, is Chope's.  The thing to eat is anything with red chile.  Chope's is a Roadfood all-time great!
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2017/02/02 14:10:09
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1071
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 16:09:05 (permalink)
    There are numerous threads here on where to eat in NOLA and you'd be hard pressed to find a bad place in the city. One of my favourites is just inside the French Quarter. It is unabashedly touristy to some, but I love their food and they have the best dessert in the city. The Acme Oyster House has killer hush puppies and the best red beans and rice I've ever had, but the crown jewel of their menu (besides the oysters) is their Pecan Cobbler. OMG. Best thing that has ever passed my lips and tongue. We always make a point of going there for a quick meal (oysters are always on the menu for me) and the Cobbler is a must.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11355
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 17:09:09 (permalink)
    I agree with Root-Beer Man about NOLA.  But one of my favorites is not in the French Quarter, but not far and that's Mother's.  Their food is SOOOOOOOOO good.  Get a John G. with Debris or any Po' Boy.  You won't be disappointed.  If there's a line out the door don't despair, it goes very quickly!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9915
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 17:24:45 (permalink)
    lleechef
    I agree with Root-Beer Man about NOLA.  But one of my favorites is not in the French Quarter, but not far and that's Mother's.  Their food is SOOOOOOOOO good.  Get a John G. with Debris or any Po' Boy.  You won't be disappointed.  If there's a line out the door don't despair, it goes very quickly!

Or the Jambalaya, shrimp creole, crawfish etouffee, red beans and rice, gumbo, all of which is superb.

essvee10
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 19:48:16 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster et al, you all are just the people I was hoping to hear from. Thanks so much! Please keep em coming. I would much rather hear Roadfooders' personal recommendations than to comb through the many threads as Root Beer Man mentioned. Although I will do that too. Buffetbuster, as you seem to have spent so much time out that way, anything in or around that part of AR you can recommend, before I hit El Paso? 

Chope's and Mother's are definitely on my list!
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11355
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 20:29:15 (permalink)
    Another great restaurant not in the French Quarter that is fantastic is Dooky Chase.  Last time I ate there, which was a while ago, Paul Prudhomme was also dining there.  Everything is good.  Especially the praline pudding for dessert.

I have nothing against the French Quarter.  Acme Oyster House is probably my favorite because I have a penchant for oysters on the half shell and boiled crawdads.  But it is "touristy".  Nevertheless, I have never had a bad meal anywhere in the French Quarter.  If you're in the mood for eggs Benedict or variations of this classic such as Eggs Sardou, Eggs Hussarde, Eggs Nouvelle, Eggs Cardinale go to Brennan's.  Of course one must always go to Café du Monde for their famous chicory coffee and beignets.  Don't wear navy or black because you will be covered with all the powdered sugar on those beignets! 
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11954
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/02 23:43:36 (permalink)
    Sounds like you'll be coming down I-17 from Flagstaff to PHX and on to Tucson to El Paso. If so you need to get a Sonoran Dog in Tucson! http://www.elguerocanelo.com/
    Root-Beer Man
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1071
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/03 13:03:45 (permalink)
    If you want another foray into the Quarter you could try Remoulade. It's the casual attachment of Arnaud's and they share a kitchen and even some dishes. Best BBQ shrimp around the quarter. They've got a great menu and you don't have to get all dressed up for it. It's another of my favourite places in the Quarter.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 11956
    Re: Help with cross-country road trip 2017/02/03 17:38:01 (permalink)
    Foodbme
    Sounds like you'll be coming down I-17 from Flagstaff to PHX and on to Tucson to El Paso. If so you need to get a Sonoran Dog in Tucson! http://www.elguerocanelo.com/

Foodbme's advice is spot on.  You should definitely try a Sonoran dog if you will be in Tucson. 

Don't pass Tucson by.  It is one of the America's best cities for Roadfood.  My favorite is Little Café Poca Cosa, which has a warm, welcoming atmosphere and spectacular food.  Beware:  they are open limited hours.  Other great places in Tucson include Tucson Tamale Company, Teresa's Mosaic CaféPico de Gallo and Los Jarritos.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5