Helpful ReplyHistory of Pizza in CT?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 127
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/17 21:55:02 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
fishtaco
leethebard
Meanwhile,back to my original post,pizza did not originate in Connecticut!!!!

the ORIGINAL post never claimed that it did either. Only ask about origins of Connecticut pizza. Not once was the claim made that it originated there. And does it make a flying monkey where it started? 

While it is true that the OP himself did not claim it originated in Connecticut, he did say in his post, "I truly can't confirm or deny any of this, but the same old gentleman went on to say that this concept did NOT come from Italy, but in fact, emigrated from these bakers through relatives back to Naples where Italy soon claimed pizza for its own."

Yet again.....This was a story I was told by an old man...I never believed that pizza was invented in CT, but the portion he told about the proliferation (not the invention)of CT pizza seemed logical....I had hoped repeating  it would stimulate someone who knows the real "History of Pizza in Connecticut"(the title of the thread) to share some knowledge......but....forget it...I surrender..

I no longer care how pizza came to be so prolific in CT....
But there a few posters here who would be well-served to recognize  that PIZZA is NOT a single food item, but a class of food that has as many variations as there are countries in the world..some more familiar than others, but almost everyone with its own identity...and history....

MH if you read your own old threads, you'd see that I even bowed to you by adding the term casserole, pizzarole to Deep Dish in my question....but I think I get it ...you don't like deep dish pizza..so why would anyone be allowed to answer my question without being attacked......This is, after all, MichaelHoffmanFood.com.......
But again, never mind.....I'll get what I need from Yelp........where information, not anger, is shared...

However,  next time I want to be misunderstood, nitpicked, berated and bullied, I'll come back and ask another reasonable question......
Is there a moderator on this board? if no, maybe it's time...if yes, where are you?

...and MLM, I'm sorry....I'm amazed that this crap would go on after your moving post....maybe I was wrong in my previous...

WingmanBBF
post edited by wingmanBBF - 2015/06/17 22:10:36
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5875
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/17 23:32:25 (permalink)
"Like"
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 00:03:34 (permalink)
Heavens above. First, I have no affiliation for or against Italy, Greece, New York, Connecticut, or any other other part of the country and or any place' version of pizza. Give me any type of pizza and I will try it. If I like it I will admit it, say yummy. If I don't, I'll say No more for me, thanks and let it go. This reflects my general attitude about food. And yeah, I get it that a pizza argument here, for some, is a matter of who's right as much as anything. And I don't care who. But now, as I see it, the practice of using up every little bit of food is a practice as old as time and applies to all cultures. I have always had the impression that pizza and similar configurations were, originally, leftover dishes that varied widely from pantry to pantry, cook to cook, e t. Also, historically, Italy, Greece and other such countries were hilly and communities were isolated and food practices varied widely from one area to another. I also understand that when people immigrated from overseas, they often preferred to be neighbors with people from their own part of the country. Therefore, I surmise that in say, New York City, or New Haven, or whereever, there were, originally, all types of pizzas, all of which were or are delicious and 'authentic'. And I think it would be difficult to say where it all started. Pizza did, I believe become popular, in main stream America, after world war 2, but I strongly believe that many first and second generation immigrants had been eating leftover dishes similar to pizza for years and selling them to other Americans who were interested. In Morgantown, West Virgina, with large numbers of Italian and Greek immigrants, my grandfather brought home pasta in the 1920s and 1930s. I dare say he may have pizza as well, although I don't know. We weren't' Italian or Greek but it was good and inexpensive. I don't think we took pizza to Europe at all, unless it was a certain type or types of pizza which had become popular in the States. There, now. I've had my say and I don't know what difference it will make but I will continue to celebrate the diversity of food in America and the world. See you all soon.
post edited by mlm - 2015/06/18 00:28:28
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10403
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 08:24:16 (permalink)
wingman-I do certainly understand your immediate reaction to some of the comments on your post. However, my impression( after reading each and every comment) is you weren't berated and bullied. Misunderstood-yes. Some nit picking-yes but not really directed at you.I have met some of the posters in person, and if you choose to, need to take some of the comments tongue in cheek. The written word, as opposed to face to face, doesn't always come across well. I, for one, misunderstood one of your reasons for posting in a thread that I considered done since the person was no longer in the area they wanted suggestions for. And I apologized immediately. I think you bring a lot of great conversation to the table, and would hate to see you go. But to each his own. I, for one, cant stand when my fellow roadfooders start to bicker, so I generally sit back and watch it play out....

Ann
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 08:31:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Twinwillow 2015/06/18 10:15:05
By the way-my friend's father, owned a small pizzeria. He was from Naples-1st generation. He made the most wonderful pizza. He used to smuggle pepperoni in when he went back( in the good old days) and always gifted me with a stick. This was in Milwaukee. My point? In some cities, the origin of the food we love is absolutely from people coming over from the old country.
Storm64
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 08:40:27 (permalink)
And I thought Pizza Hut invented Pizza... :)
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 843
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 08:42:50 (permalink)
ann peeples
The written word, as opposed to face to face, doesn't always come across well. 

I agree, Ann.  That is one of the biggest problems with internet forums and e-mail communications.  Tone and nuance do not come through, and the person's written words can be taken the wrong way.   It is extremely rare to meet a downright ornery fellow in person, so I have to believe that if someone is coming across that way online, it is more likely than not that the person is just being misunderstood.   I know that on more than an occasion or two, I have written something with a big grin on my face, figuring it was a well meaning or good natured poke, only to have it taken the wrong way .... even though absolutely no offense was meant.    

I think it's probably best to err on the side of giving the benefit of the doubt, and just assume the better natured side of people.  We are not always the best at getting our points and tones across in writing. 

Glenn

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 08:57:11 (permalink)
rudebarb
Actually, while there are many pizza parlors in NYC very few are any good--featurless crust and industrial quality cheese, sauce, and toppings are unfortunately the current norm.

True, but you can say the same thing about anyplace. I love New Haven pizza from the places frequently discussed here, but have also had some very ordinary and even lousy pizza in the area and the average to poor places far out number the top places. People from out of town don't travel someplace to go to the average places so you can't really judge the quality of food in a region based on a handful of the best places. That said, Zuppardi's clam pie is about the best pie I have ever had. I dream about that pie!

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5288
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 09:11:32 (permalink)
Just to add, the part of the original story about factory workers enjoying "pizza" from bakeries as a lunch item is one I have also heard about NYC as well. One addition to the story was regarding the use of the cardboard pizza box and how it helped the pizza business in America take off. Early on, workers would carry the take away pizza in a bag. Can't imagine that worked well.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 09:51:19 (permalink)
I agree, Tony. In Milwaukee, there are a few fabulous pizza places, and the rest are good, mediocre or just plain bad.
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 10:04:35 (permalink)
Thank you all.....
Perhaps, last night it was a little late and I didn't take the very advice I gave to MLM....
I've always loved knowing people and culture through food, and learning how things that are so familiar, evolved  is just fascinating....
Ann and Tony, you've  put a couple of great pieces into the puzzle....Thank you
OK.....New Day.....New calorie allotment for a little Zupardi's pizza...a Johnny Ads Hot Dog, some Lenny and Joe's Fried Bellies, a Hot Lobster Landing roll, or a Harry's Burger...
And maybe build a little thicker skin to move forward in my search for answers, and a real Chicago Deep Dish Pizzarole in New England....
WingmanBBF

post edited by wingmanBBF - 2015/06/18 10:06:45
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 10:26:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wingmanBBF 2015/06/18 10:38:09
I can't say as I've ever looked for a Chicago Deep Dish style pizza in New England, but I will keep an eye out and let you know  I'm a fan of Lou Malnati's sausage pizza when I'm in Chicago, and have hit a few other places.  I don't actually think of it as "pizza" - if I'm home here in CT when I want pizza I go for the thin New Haven style (tops in my book), or a nice Italian thicker crust (lots of good examples here), and third on my list is the greek-style, which is actually what I grew up with and tend not to look for these days. Deep dish pie is a food category to me unto itself, like "hey, I think I want barbeque", or "let's go out for a burger" - it's very particular in "I want a deep dish pizza", but that's just how it hits my personal food radar. The only time I've ever seen it in CT was at the Pizza Uno chain.
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 10:39:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wingmanBBF 2015/06/18 15:37:59
wingmanBBF
Thank you all.....
Perhaps, last night it was a little late and I didn't take the very advice I gave to MLM....
I've always loved knowing people and culture through food, and learning how things that are so familiar, evolved  is just fascinating....
OK.....New Day.....New calorie allotment for a little Zupardi's pizza...a Johnny Ads Hot Dog, some Lenny and Joe's Fried Bellies, a Hot Lobster Landing roll, or a Harry's Burger...
And maybe build a little thicker skin to move forward in my search for answers, and a real Chicago Deep Dish Pizzarole in New England....
WingmanBBF

There is a place in Providence called Sicilia's that is known for Chicago deep dish pizza. It seems to get better than average reviews on yelp for the most part. Most Rhode Islanders are foodies (although most are not necessarily fans of what most here would consider "Roadfood") Rhode Islanders like a good steak, good burger and most of all, love Calamari - hence why it was just voted the " OfficialState Dish" by (the Statehouse no less) in addition,  preferences go a little more upscale) That said I'm not sure if  they're comparing it to authentic Chicago Deep Dish or what they picture Chicago Deep Dish would taste like had they tried it. I've never been there but walked by it many times so I can't comment.
post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/06/18 10:48:19
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 10:40:09 (permalink)
I splurged on a e book copy of Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink by John Mariani. Just got it last night and recommend it to anyone. Of course, it's just one reference book and debates will continue to rage but it is fascinating and insightful and I believe it is a classic. Multiple editions since 1983, I believe. I've read my library's copy for years.
post edited by mlm - 2015/06/18 14:43:24
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 11:06:19 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
wingmanBBF
So I'll ask again....any true Chicago deep dish in CT, Mass, or RI?

Michael Hoffman
One can only hope there is not.

Agreed.

Because it'd assuredly be screwed up, and then Burt would have to send Buddy east for some contract work.

Let me tell you about Burt's. It is, in my opinion (after just one visit, of course), the finest non-New Haven or New York style I've ever had the pleasure of eating. In fact, I'll rank it right up there, in a totally different way, with Frank Pepe's (on Wooster Street).
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23230
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 11:12:03 (permalink)
wingmanBBF
Michael Hoffman
fishtaco
leethebard
Meanwhile,back to my original post,pizza did not originate in Connecticut!!!!

the ORIGINAL post never claimed that it did either. Only ask about origins of Connecticut pizza. Not once was the claim made that it originated there. And does it make a flying monkey where it started? 

While it is true that the OP himself did not claim it originated in Connecticut, he did say in his post, "I truly can't confirm or deny any of this, but the same old gentleman went on to say that this concept did NOT come from Italy, but in fact, emigrated from these bakers through relatives back to Naples where Italy soon claimed pizza for its own."

Yet again.....This was a story I was told by an old man...I never believed that pizza was invented in CT, but the portion he told about the proliferation (not the invention)of CT pizza seemed logical....I had hoped repeating  it would stimulate someone who knows the real "History of Pizza in Connecticut"(the title of the thread) to share some knowledge......but....forget it...I surrender..

I no longer care how pizza came to be so prolific in CT....
But there a few posters here who would be well-served to recognize  that PIZZA is NOT a single food item, but a class of food that has as many variations as there are countries in the world..some more familiar than others, but almost everyone with its own identity...and history....

MH if you read your own old threads, you'd see that I even bowed to you by adding the term casserole, pizzarole to Deep Dish in my question....but I think I get it ...you don't like deep dish pizza..so why would anyone be allowed to answer my question without being attacked......This is, after all, MichaelHoffmanFood.com.......
But again, never mind.....I'll get what I need from Yelp........where information, not anger, is shared...

However,  next time I want to be misunderstood, nitpicked, berated and bullied, I'll come back and ask another reasonable question......
Is there a moderator on this board? if no, maybe it's time...if yes, where are you?

...and MLM, I'm sorry....I'm amazed that this crap would go on after your moving post....maybe I was wrong in my previous...

WingmanBBF

So, because I pointed out that you never even suggested that Connecticut was where it was invented you jump all over me? I can't help wondering whether saying you're a great guy will result in a drone attack.
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 11:35:25 (permalink)
TnTinCT,
I feel exactly the same way. I grew up with Greek  pizza and Italian Pizza...was introduced to Chicago at age 25.
I love them all...but they're all separate categories and separate moods, just as you say.
I'm fortunate enough to live near great Greek, and great Italian pizza...(I actually spend summer in Old Saybrook, CT)but with the exception of the fern-bar, frozen-doe Unos, when the mood strikes me for deep dish, I'm S.O.L.
As to my favorite, I've tried a few.... Gino's east, Uno's, Giordano's, all at the flagship locations...and I agree, Lou Malnati's sausage is, by far, my all-time favorite.
My daughter goes to Holy Cross in Worcester, and there's a place there that makes the genuine Chicago Deep Dish Claim....I just haven't tried it yet...It'd be nice to find a location a little closer but, then again, if I have to give up deep dish to be so close to all the other great road foods here in CT, I'm okay with it.
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 11:49:44 (permalink)
MH,
I misread your post myself. I honestly believed you were saying that I truly believed that pizza was invented in CT....as I posted earlier...late night...bleary mind.....my fault....
I apologize for my own misunderstanding.
As to the drone or any attack, those days are long over...I'm an old guy now...I've learned that any and all my efforts raining physical violence down no longer has any impact, whatsoever.........so , now I outsource....just kidding....
Wingmanbbf
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 12198
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 11:54:36 (permalink)
wingman...  Big man to apologize.  I thought that any moment that BBF on your name was going to vaporize.

Chat boards are about opinions, especially when they're about food.  We're all different with different opinions. 

Chat boards would die without them.  My sanity seems to be dying without pizza.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 12:40:13 (permalink)
The posts this morning confirms my feeling that my fellow posters are essentially deep down good people with opinions and who occasionally get hot under the collar and erupt, JUST LIKE ME.... How about that!!!
Yeah, you bet, I'll stay. I love the sanity-pizza connection, mar. I always said pizza is an essential food group. Now I have one more good excuse to feed myself some regularly. In fact, I just bought all the equipment to make my own. One day, I'll have to take a deep breath and actually do it. One thing. To me, no matter how good or how nasty, pizza seems incredibly expensive. I guess because it is so popular.
wingmanBBF
Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 15:40:06 (permalink)
wanderingjew
wingmanBBF
Thank you all.....
WingmanBBF

There is a place in Providence called Sicilia's that is known for Chicago deep dish pizza. It seems to get better than average reviews on yelp for the most part. Most Rhode Islanders are foodies (although most are not necessarily fans of what most here would consider "Roadfood") Rhode Islanders like a good steak, good burger and most of all, love Calamari - hence why it was just voted the " OfficialState Dish" by (the Statehouse no less) in addition,  preferences go a little more upscale) That said I'm not sure if  they're comparing it to authentic Chicago Deep Dish or what they picture Chicago Deep Dish would taste like had they tried it. I've never been there but walked by it many times so I can't comment.

thanks WJ,
I'll make a field trip and report back..

Wingman BBF
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 15:59:30 (permalink)
mlm - I know you said that you were unfortunately not in a position to "roadfood" like so many of us enjoy, I wanted to be sure you were aware of the mail-order opportunities some of these places have. Granted, cooking something at home certainly isn't the same, but it would give you a more realistic perspective on some of the items if that's an option for you. I know Zuppardi's of West Haven pizza fame (the sausage is amazing) ships now, along with Lou Malnati's in Chicago, Katz's Deli in NYC, and a few other really famous Roadfood places.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 18:03:49 (permalink)
Tntinct, thank you so much for the tip. I never thought of that. What a great idea. If any other places come to mine, feel free to let me know. I suppose it will say on a website whether or not a restaurant does shipments, correct? Thanks again!
ann peeples
Porterhouse
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 18:13:14 (permalink)
mlm-tell us what you would enjoy, and we can all pipe in!!
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/18 18:27:10 (permalink)
Hey, I said I'm a good eater! Send me anything you think of. After all these chains, I may go a spree!
TnTinCT
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/19 13:53:44 (permalink)
mlm, here are a few of my favorites -
Zuppardi's - excellent New Haven style pizza, known for their homemade sausage; http://zuppardisapizza.com/shipping/
Tastes of Chicago - some classic Chicago foods - Lou Malnati's pizza (also sausage highly recommended), Chicago Italian Beef from Portillo's, Manny's Deli - great corned beef - http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/shop-by-chicago-brand
Katz's Deli in NYC - my favorite pastrami; http://katzsdelicatessen.com/
Foody Direct https://www.foodydirect.com/  carries lots of restaurant brands for shipping all over the US
Goldbely https://www.goldbely.com/ is another site that manages lots of name restaurants in the country - Philly cheesesteaks, mufaletta sandwiches, barbeque, etc.
Unfortunately the downside is some of these places will carry some heavy shipping costs due to overnight/perishable requirements. I've ordered from all of these (except Zuppardi's since it's close enough to drive), and had good results.

mlm
Double Cheeseburger
Re: History of Pizza in CT? 2015/06/19 14:21:02 (permalink)
Yippee. Thank you so much. Didn't know there were such sources.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5