LockedHitting the Heartland Trail

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Lurker
  • Total Posts : 0
2015/06/11 08:54:24 (permalink)

Hitting the Heartland Trail

From Monday August 24 through Tuesday September 1 I will be returning to the Heartland after a 4 year absence. This is one of those trips, where I really need to plan in advance. Believe it or not I've been remiss in doing so these last few years. However this trip is special, as it will be featuring at least half a dozen or more stops involving nothing but Iowa chops, an item that 1 or 2 former posters (ok, just 1)  may have mislead others into thinking it's no longer worth seeking out in favor of breaded pork tenderloin and loose meat sandwiches . Anyway because I may never find myself in this part of the country again, at least not  for a very long time, I need to make sure that I "cross my t's and dot my i's" and ensure that all the places I want to visit are open.

This trip will mostly take me through Eastern, Western and Central Iowa. It will also include breaded pork tenderloins, hot beefs, hopefully at least one chance for sour cream raisin pie and one last chance for a loosemeats (tavern) sandwich at Miles Inn, Ayersians' (Chris')  favorite

I will also spend some time in eastern Nebraska, and Southeastern South Dakota seeking out Steak, Cheese Frenchies, Burgers, a "bunza" or two (yes, that's what some places out there call the trademarked Runza) Chislic and Tomato Beer.
There is a possibilty that a couple of Roadfooders from the Windy City may join me for for a day or so during part of my trip.

There won't be a trip report, but I will post restaurant reviews of places that I consider worthy. I will also see if Michael Stern will allow me access to the Roadfood Digest.

So if anyone will be in the area and would like to join me for a meal or two. let me know. I'm still working on the itinerary and schedule,  there may be some jumping around due to odd hours and availability of certain menu items.

135 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9233
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 10:04:18 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    From Monday August 24 through Tuesday September 1 I will be returning to the Heartland after a 4 year absence.

Sounds like the restraining orders have expired.

wanderingjew
    So if anyone will be in the area and would like to join me for a meal or two. let me know. I'm still working on the itinerary and schedule,  there may be some jumping around due to odd hours and availability of certain menu items.

While I'd like to take you up on your offer, my annual Ohio trip just happens to be Aug. 26-30 so I think that pretty much rules me out.  Of course, that's still 2-1/2 months away and sometimes things change, so who knows!

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11893
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 11:02:29 (permalink)
    SC
    You going to be in the Columbus area?  If so, give us a shout.  We'll buy you a Bahama Mama at Schmidt's!
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 11:35:23 (permalink)
    If you are near Atlantic, I bet I could persude my Mom to make a sour cream raisin pie. Would love to meet up someplace.
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11893
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 11:54:17 (permalink)
    wj
    It's going to be a great trip!!  There is wonderful food, friendly folks and a lot of beautiful country out there.  Haven't been to Iowa for about 7 years but from 2001-2008 I went just about every year.  It's even great in the winter.  Have fun!  Wish I could meet you in Le Mars!!
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 12589
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 16:54:31 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    wanderingjew
    From Monday August 24 through Tuesday September 1 I will be returning to the Heartland after a 4 year absence.

This is officially my favorite post of the year!!!

buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 16:57:39 (permalink)
    WJ-
    I am especially interested to see what you come up with for chislic.  Freeman, SD is supposed to be the chislic capital of the state, but that may have changed since Papa's Restaurant closed down.
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 16:59:21 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus
    If you are near Atlantic, I bet I could persude my Mom to make a sour cream raisin pie.
    That sounds like an offer I couldn't refuse!!!

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1497
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 17:03:26 (permalink)
    Have a great trip, WJ.  You probably don't need it, but here's a link to my report about my pie-eating trip through Iowa  and Minnesota a few years ago.
     http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pieowa-Roadtrip-m700883.aspx
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/11 17:51:50 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    wanderingjew

wanderingjew

While I'd like to take you up on your offer, my annual Ohio trip just happens to be Aug. 26-30 so I think that pretty much rules me out.  Of course, that's still 2-1/2 months away and sometimes things change, so who knows!

Either that or my purse strings loosened up a bit. Flying into Chicago is a pain because the traffic sucks and flying elsewhere into the mid west is just plain too expensive. If your plans change, let me know

If you are near Atlantic, I bet I could persude my Mom to make a sour cream raisin pie. Would love to meet up someplace.

Mark
     I would certainly like to meet up again, I haven't seen you since the CT (School) bus tour and you know I'd do just about anything for your mom's sour cream raisin pie. I checked google maps and it looks like the Chatterbox in Audobon and The Red Barn in Exira and relatively close to you. I plan on hitting both spots for lunch on two different days, I'm not sure what days yet but it will definetely be on a week day, I'll let you know once I finalize my itinerary

buffetbuster
    WJ-
    I am especially interested to see what you come up with for chislic.  Freeman, SD is supposed to be the chislic capital of the state, but that may have changed since Papa's Restaurant closed down.

buffetbuster

check out the menu of Meridian Corner  I've been wanting to visit since my last trip to SD but didn't know about this place until after the fact. Not only do they have lamb chislic but they have mutton chislic too (however it appears lamb chislic is the way to go. They also have "tiger meat" which isn't exactly tiger meat and SD's version of Knoephla soup.

rumaki
    Have a great trip, WJ.  You probably don't need it, but here's a link to my report about my pie-eating trip through Iowa  and Minnesota a few years ago.
     http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pieowa-Roadtrip-m700883.aspx

rumaki, 

Thanks for the link. I have to keep pie and other sweets in check but hope to make an exception or two along the way

Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/12 07:58:00 (permalink)
    I just hit my first snag of the trip.
    The roadfood reviewed B & B grocery in Des Moines is closed on Mondays- I was going to make that my first "off the plane" stop before driving off to Eastern Iowa. With the schedule I'm just begining to figure out, unless they're offering BPT's for breakfast on any given other day, then I may have to miss out.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6817
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/12 09:28:04 (permalink)
    I just may be in Ohio that week. I pass through Iowa often coming and going south mostly.

I would recommend you find time for the Augusta Restaurant in Oxford, IA. Relocated Katrina hurricane refugees own it and it is an interesting meld of New Orleans influence with Iowa heartland food in a very small town. They adapted and did it well enough to garner an IPPA award for best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. Looking over their menu they don't serve a pork chop unless it comes along on their weekly chef special.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/12 12:18:20 (permalink)
    Davydd
    I would recommend you find time for the Augusta Restaurant in Oxford, IA.

Thanks, Davydd!  If WJ isn't able to visit during his trip I'll make it a stop of my own next year.
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/12 13:21:29 (permalink)
    Davydd
    I just may be in Ohio that week. I pass through Iowa often coming and going south mostly.

I would recommend you find time for the Augusta Restaurant in Oxford, IA. Relocated Katrina hurricane refugees own it and it is an interesting meld of New Orleans influence with Iowa heartland food in a very small town. They adapted and did it well enough to garner an IPPA award for best breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. Looking over their menu they don't serve a pork chop unless it comes along on their weekly chef special.

Davydd

You must have read my mind. Either  Augusta or Goldies in Prairie City were alternative stops if I can't make it to
    B & B
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6817
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/12 16:14:51 (permalink)
    I've been to both. Goldie's has my approval as well. However, Goldie no longer owns the place. She sold it off, but as of a couple years ago she was continuing to work there to give it cred. If I had to make a choice it would be Augusta easily.

For my next trip through Iowa I had the B & B on my short list. I've added Sandy's Grill in Huxley, IA and whichever restaurant gets the IPPA best breaded pork tenderloin award this year (October) will also get my attention. I also have my eye on a place in northeast Iowa way off the beaten path I have passed by a couple of times that no one has ever mentioned here, on the Internet anywhere or in my Facebook group. They have a sign out front claiming the best tenderloin. I have to find out.
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/13 10:23:28 (permalink)
    It looks like Augusta is out too- they're closed Monday and Tuesday so that won't work so it looks like Goldie's is the alternate for B & B

So far it looks like I'll fly into Des Moines on Monday August 24 and head to Eastern and Northeastern Iowa through Wednesday morning. I'll spend the next couple of days with Des Moines as my base and then friday morning spend the next few days in Western Iowa, the Omaha area and Southeastern South Dakota. I'll head back toward  Des Moines  on Monday ,after lunch time and spend the rest of the trip there, until I leave Wednesday morning.
    Because of one day specials, and the hours of various restaurants this itinerary is set in stone.

Here are my Iowa Chop Stops:

Sac County Cattle Co.

Old Rossville Store- Waukon IA

Gold Slipper- Dunlap IA

Bogie's Steakhouse - Albia IA

Niland's Cafe- Colo IA

Jessie's Embers- Des Moines IA

I will also go to the Machine Shed- most likely the Davenport one for breakfast as they have a pork chop (not an Iowa Chop) on the breakfast menu. 

I suspect a few of you (I won't name names) will have a pre conceived notion that either the Machine Shed or Jessie's Embers will have the best chop because they  are both Roadfood reviewed, that is very likely.I really look forward to visiting Jessie's Embers  and I know how good the chop is at the Machine Shed however keep in mind how many times the Sterns have mentioned that recommendations that came in to them had completely missed their Roadfood radar and  they never would have known about them unless someone had suggested it to them. 

As much has I would love to try the Chops at Archie's Waeside, unless I have a dining companion and the opportunity to share, that likely won't happen.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/06/25 08:05:28
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10403
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/13 10:55:57 (permalink)
    Well, I look forward to your research.
    trzhotel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/13 11:17:16 (permalink)
    Ive spent the past year on a taco truck photo project in Des Moines, you can see the album here:
    https://www.flickr.com/ph...sets/72157642016644033
    buffetbuster
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/14 19:31:19 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    buffetbuster

check out the menu of Meridian Corner  I've been wanting to visit since my last trip to SD but didn't know about this place until after the fact. Not only do they have lamb chislic but they have mutton chislic too (however it appears lamb chislic is the way to go. They also have "tiger meat" which isn't exactly tiger meat and SD's version of Knoephla soup.
    Looks outstanding WJ!  I may even stop in myself while driving through.  Don't worry, I promise to give you full credit for finding it first!

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6627
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/14 20:04:57 (permalink)
    trzhotel,
    What a wonderful project!  The food photography was especially lovely, and the shots of the trucks really captured their status as "folk art".

Who knew Des Moines was so cool?

Buddy
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/14 22:29:12 (permalink)
    buffetbuster
    wanderingjew
    buffetbuster

Looks outstanding WJ!  I may even stop in myself while driving through.  Don't worry, I promise to give you full credit for finding it first!

Hey I've never been there, so if you make it there first and it's a winner, then you get the credit. All I ask for i a full report on your findings. if you make it to Meridian Corner.

On an aside, I received a  special  request to post the rest of my itinerary, which because of the unusual nature of this trip (ie the routing logistics, hours and days open and specials offered on certain days) is starting to take a definitive shape and I hope to post sometime this week
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/15 00:11:33 (permalink)
    WJ, I can't remember if you've been to the Redwood in Anita before, but their pork is phenomenal (don't know if they serve a chop, though). If I were Ant-Man, I'd travel in your suitcase!    Chris
    ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/15 07:57:00 (permalink)
    Will it be in spreadsheet form?
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/15 08:26:31 (permalink)
    ayersian
    WJ, I can't remember if you've been to the Redwood in Anita before, but their pork is phenomenal (don't know if they serve a chop, though). If I were Ant-Man, I'd travel in your suitcase!    Chris

Ayersian,
    Did I not go to the Redwood?

This insatiable porcine  meal of multiple oinks still taunts me in my dreams.   Oh, if there was a way to come back here again, I would. The Redwood serves a Windsor chop. It's a thinner cut than the traditional Iowa Chop, and I'm trying to remain pure, and stay with the Iowa cut throughout the trip. 
    Chris, stay tuned for the rest of my itinerary, I think you're going to find a lot of your old favorites!

ChiTownDiner
    Will it be in spreadsheet form?

Tell you what, if you do join me for part or all  of the Eastern Iowa part of the trip, I'll let you do it.

ChiTownDiner
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5394
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/15 18:50:24 (permalink)
    You are the fearless leader....
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/15 22:12:11 (permalink)
    I'm going to post my proposed itinerary due to yesterday's special request.... The first couple of days  (Monday the 24th and Tuesday the 25th)  the itninerary is very tentative and could go any which way depending  if anyone one joins me.

Monday August 24th

Breakfast  - Tori's Ice Cream Parlor - Ladd, IL

Lunch #1 - Kramer's Kitchen - Princeton, IL

Snack #1 - TBD - Geneseo, IL

Snack #2 - Langomarcino's- Davenport, IA

Lunch #2 -  TC's Point After - Dewitt, IA                      

Dinner# 1-  Riefe's Restaurant- Davenport IA,
              # 2-  Fat  Boy's Pizza - Davenport IA

Ice Cream - Whitey's Ice Cream - locally, several locations

Tuesday August 25th

Breakfast- Machine Shed- Davenport IA

Lunch- Country Junction- Dyersville IA

Dinner- Old Rossville Store- Waukon IA 

Potential  Add on's for Tuesday

Whitey's Ice Cream- Quad Cities IA/IL
    Wilton Candy Kitchen- Wilton IA
    Mabe's Pizza- Decorah, IA

Wednesday August 26

Breakfast- Ruby's or Family Table - Decorah IA

Lunch # 1- Coffee Cup Cafe- Sully, IA 

Lunch # 2- B & B Grocery- Des Moines IA

Dinner- Bogie's Steakhouse- Albia IA

Thursday August 27

Lunch- Chatterbox Cafe- Audobon IA

Dinner-  The Redwood Steakhouse- Anita, IA  

Friday August 28

Breakfast-  Cast Iron Cafe- Stanton IA
    Lunch # 1-      Jo-Leigh's Java Jitters (Bunzas!) Friend NE 
              #2 -     Tina's Cafe- Lincoln NE (Go-Carts aka Runzas !!)

Dinner-  #1The Gold Slipper- Dunlap, IA
                 #2 (potential)- Sac County Cattle Company- Sac City IA

Saturday August 29

Lunch- Meridian's Corner- Freeman SD 

Dinner- Archie's Wayside- Le Mars IA

Sunday August 30

Breakfast- Crystal Cafe - South Sioux City NE

Lunch- Miles Inn- Sioux City IA 

Snack- Ted and Wally's- Omaha NE

Diner- The Drover- Omaha NE

Monday August 31

Breakfast- Shirley's Diner- Omaha

Lunch#1- Stella's- Bellevue NE
            #2- Dmoore's Pizza (Runza Pockets) - Tekemah NE

Dinner- Jessie's Embers- Des Moines IA

Tuesday- September 1

Lunch- Red Barn- Exira  IA

Dinner- Nilands Cafe- Colo, IA

Places that I scrapped due to buffetbuster's prior trip report
    The Shanti
    St Olaf's Tap
    Jonesy's
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2015/08/22 09:25:16
    blizzardstormus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 326
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/16 10:26:58 (permalink)
    Wanderingjew, Mom is excited to see you again! Her 80th birthday is August 30 so this will be a great present for her. She won't make me a sour cream raisin pie, but for special people like yourself, she will bake a pie. I love the old Iowa report. Unfortunately, not only has the Farmer's Kitchen closed since then, but so has the Danish Inn.

ScreamingChicken, wonderful report! But, I need addresses! I visit Des Moines once a month. I frequent the taco truck which usually is parked near Lutheran hospital on East University. Fantastic food at every truck I have found!
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/16 14:06:09 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus
    Looking forward to seeing you and Charlene. I remember when I first visited the Farmer's Kitchen with TTM back in 2008. Your mom was quite the charming lady.
    I'm sorry to hear about the Danish Kitchen too, I was totally enthralled when you and your brother were talking shop with the owner, Jeremy. I can't believe that was 4 years ago.

There's a possibility that ChiBears15 may join me for part of the Western Iowa trip, I'm hoping he gets to meet you and your mom too.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/17 10:19:19 (permalink)
    blizzardstormus
    ScreamingChicken, wonderful report! But, I need addresses! I visit Des Moines once a month. I frequent the taco truck which usually is parked near Lutheran hospital on East University. Fantastic food at every truck I have found!

Thanks, but are you possibly meaning trzhotel and not me?  He's the one who put together the taco truck page.

wanderingjew
    I'm going to post my proposed itinerary due to yesterday's special request.... The first couple of days (Monday the 24th and Tuesday the 25th)  the itninerary is very tentative and could go any which way depending if anyone one joins me.

Monday August 24th

Lunch - Most likely Goldie's Ice Cream Shop- Prairie City IA or
                                TC's Point After - Dewitt IA (Monday or Tuesday)

Dinner- It could go any which way-  Either to Western IA and the Redwood Steakhouse Anita IA
               or to Northeastern IA and The Family Table Restaurant- Decorah IA 
               or  Country Junction - Dyersville IA (Monday or Tuesday)

Tuesday August 25th

Lunch- Country Junction- Dyersville IA (Monday or Tuesday)
              or TC's Point After- Dewitt IA (Monday or Tuesday)
                   (or both) 
    Dinner- Rossville Store- Waukon IA

Possible Add on's for Tuesday

Lagomarcino's- Moline IL
    Unfortunately (for me, not you) each of your selections is at least 2 hours from me so it's really unlikely I'd be able to join you for dinner, although if I left directly from work and took US-151 to Iowa I could probably be there by 5:30.  That's not so bad but then I have to get back home again, unless I took half of Tuesday off from work and drove home that morning.  And all this just in time to leave early Wednesday for Ohio.

Hopefully you'll have a favorable report.  Whenever I take US-30 to Des Moines I exit to IA-330 before I reach Colo so I've never been to Niland's, but if it's worth a visit I can always make future plans.
    Lurker
    Re: Hitting the Heartland Trail 2015/06/17 12:32:07 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    blizzardstormus

Thanks, but are you possibly meaning trzhotel and not me?  He's the one who put together the taco truck page.

wanderingjew
    I'm going to post my proposed itinerary due to yesterday's special request.... The first couple of days (Monday the 24th and Tuesday the 25th)  the itninerary is very tentative and could go any which way depending if anyone one joins me.

Monday August 24th

Lunch - Most likely Goldie's Ice Cream Shop- Prairie City IA or
                                TC's Point After - Dewitt IA (Monday or Tuesday)

Dinner- It could go any which way-  Either to Western IA and the Redwood Steakhouse Anita IA
               or to Northeastern IA and The Family Table Restaurant- Decorah IA 
               or  Country Junction - Dyersville IA (Monday or Tuesday)

Tuesday August 25th

Lunch- Country Junction- Dyersville IA (Monday or Tuesday)
              or TC's Point After- Dewitt IA (Monday or Tuesday)
                   (or both) 
    Dinner- Rossville Store- Waukon IA

Possible Add on's for Tuesday

Lagomarcino's- Moline IL
    Unfortunately (for me, not you) each of your selections is at least 2 hours from me so it's really unlikely I'd be able to join you for dinner, although if I left directly from work and took US-151 to Iowa I could probably be there by 5:30.  That's not so bad but then I have to get back home again, unless I took half of Tuesday off from work and drove home that morning.  And all this just in time to leave early Wednesday for Ohio.

Hopefully you'll have a favorable report.  Whenever I take US-30 to Des Moines I exit to IA-330 before I reach Colo so I've never been to Niland's, but if it's worth a visit I can always make future plans.

SC

I'm hoping you can make it work, if not, I'll understand....Hey, what's half a day  for some good Roadfood?
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5