Hot Dog Skin
  • Natural Casing (78%)
  • Skinless (22%)
Total Votes = 835

6 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/03/08 11:42:25 (permalink)
    I thought so---and----i wonder----is this something that related to the hot dogs we got as a kid???---i believe that far enough back-ALL hot dogs had skin or casings--i think i didnt see a skinless until we started shopping in supermarkets and bought packaged rather then getting them from the meat market or butcher shop where they HAD casings and were sold bulk by the pound. As i thought about this i remember that if we had ALOT of kids together---like when the little league team or community "wienie roasts", my folks would get packaged skinless dogs---but at home--my dad insited on Maple Leaf,Kayem or Essem WITH casings. I would always want those because thats what the ADULTS ate and i KNEW they always got the good stuff!--this was confirmed when i realize that at the clambakes they always filled a grill with those same dogs and automatically assume the kids would eat that INSTEAD of steamers and lobsters!!! Not this kid!!! I want the GOOD hot dogs AND the lobster and Clams!
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/03/08 11:52:57 (permalink)
    As a kid, we used to go to Maxwell Street in Chicago to the Vienna hot dog factory. They sold funny-looking "seconds"--short and fat, long and skinny, in strings like in the comics. They were wonderful! And of course, they all had crunchy skins.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/03/08 12:16:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sugarlander

As a kid, we used to go to Maxwell Street in Chicago to the Vienna hot dog factory. They sold funny-looking "seconds"--short and fat, long and skinny, in strings like in the comics. They were wonderful! And of course, they all had crunchy skins.

and i bet they were GOOD too!!
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/03/08 12:33:03 (permalink)
    Just a little difficult to match up with the average hot dog bun.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6028
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/03/08 13:06:18 (permalink)
    quote:

You make a good point of the Hot Dog Bun... Average at best is bad.. I'm getting pretty irked at the quality of buns now days... Ready to buy some pans and make my own.. (Ones that dont totally split open when ya load them up with a dog and toppings). You'd figure in this day and age that hurdle would have been overcome by now...
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Hot Dog Skin 2005/12/21 08:55:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

quote:

You make a good point of the Hot Dog Bun... Average at best is bad.. I'm getting pretty irked at the quality of buns now days... Ready to buy some pans and make my own.. (Ones that dont totally split open when ya load them up with a dog and toppings). You'd figure in this day and age that hurdle would have been overcome by now...

Why don't the large or small bakery's make a lite rye style hot dog bun sounds to me it would be a good seller. Chow Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5