How hungry were you when...?

Author
BillC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2005/12/21 20:27:28 (permalink)

How hungry were you when...?

Everybody seems to be eating well now, but i'm sure for many, it wasn't always that way. I remember mixing ketchup and water to make spaghetti sauce (spaghetti, ketchup, and pickles were the only edible items in the kitchen)orleaving a grocery store with only the basics, crossing the street to a meat market and looking longingly at the window (window shopping for meat was how we described it)or making the acquaintance of a couple of young women because they had a can of sardines. Fortunately, these have been isolated instances for me. A friend's wife had such a traumatic first marriage that she will save any leftover, no matter how small, in a baggie. I work with a guy from Togo, who knew extreme childhood poverty. He eats often and well now, but is very distressed when he thinks food is being wasted. I once suggested that some 6 hour old, un-refrigerated fried chicken be tossed. He didn't want it himself, but became distressed and spent 20 minutes, after his time to leave, finding someone who would eat it. I was admonished "food must never be wasted".

20 Replies Related Threads

Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 02:35:33 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    BillC, I was brought up with the concept, "food must never be wasted."
    My parents were depression children, and I was passed on their burden
    of economics. It causes mild stress between my wife and me. She gets
    ticked off at me for filling the refrigeration with small portions of
    left-overs. Luckily, I have dogs that will eat left-overs.
    My children will not eat macaroni and cheese anymore, because of our
    lean years. I made it so often because that is all we could afford.
    You could get a box mix of it for 39 cents, and I made alot of it.
    But in all truthfullness, I am lucky and my children have been lucky
    that we have never been HUNGRY, where our bellies hurt because there is
    no food or too little of food. There is a difference between being
    hungry and not being able to buy things you desire to eat.
    I am grateful that I haven't experienced true hunger. I thank my
    parents and my God for that.
    There have been times that I remember eating some things when time
    were tough, and now I enjoy them for the memories. Mayonnaise sandwiches
    come to mind, and green bean sandwiches. Never ate grass...well maybe in a brownie. lol
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Captain Morgan
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 541
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 08:15:00 (permalink)
    I remember my father talking about eating mayo sandwiches. I remember in college surviving off of Oodles of Noodles. May sandwiches aren't bad at all by the way.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 08:27:56 (permalink)

I am another child of Parents who really educated us with the 'Don't Waste Food' concept. At times I excuse my current weight problem with the 'clean your plate' messages of the past. Yes I understand that I am rationalizing...
    One thing that does draw my ire at times dealing with the waste issue is the destruction of 'good food' in contests like "Bowling with Frozen Turkeys" or the "Pumpkin Cannons" at many food festivals. There are many types of these activities used as entertainment at Fairs and Festivals all around the country. My upbringing tells me that we could be using that food to help others, which may be an overly simplistic solution to World Hunger, but makes a contribution at least.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 08:40:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I am another child of Parents who really educated us with the 'Don't Waste Food' concept. At times I excuse my current weight problem with the 'clean your plate' messages of the past. Yes I understand that I am rationalizing...
    One thing that does draw my ire at times dealing with the waste issue is the destruction of 'good food' in contests like "Bowling with Frozen Turkeys" or the "Pumpkin Cannons" at many food festivals. There are many types of these activities used as entertainment at Fairs and Festivals all around the country. My upbringing tells me that we could be using that food to help others, which may be an overly simplistic solution to World Hunger, but makes a contribution at least.

Al, I am with you on this. Mom always said to us if we do not clean our plate that there are children in China that are starving. As you recall, I made it up to 245lbs before I made the decision that the children in China are probably doing a lot better now so I did the Atkins thing. I am maintaining around the 190 mark now but i got to watch it during this high caloric season. It ain't easy with all the stress.

For some reason, all my friends have been sending us gifts of turkey's, hams, cakes, cookies, candies, fruits and all sorts of stuff. My thanks to them but I really have to watch it or I will be right back to where I was.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1361
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 16:40:20 (permalink)
    As children of Depression survivors and having both at various times been way short of plenty, my husband and I try very hard to not waste food. About once a week dinner will be "clean the refrigerator." Both of us get a little dab of whatever is left. It may be a bite or two of Chinese, a little bit of several vegetables, half a slice of two or three meats. Makes for very interesting combinations, but we're not wasting and we really do enjoy the eclectic meals.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1513
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 17:31:58 (permalink)
    Everyone in my family are good eaters, so there are rarely any leftovers..but I too am funny about food being wasted, so I will doctor leftovers up in any way to make them edible. In the past, we've gone through some lean times, and I managed to make do on 15 dollars a week groceries for a family of 4.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15787
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 18:30:47 (permalink)

Jen,
    As a teacher with a large family we had a pretty tight food budget for many years also. One of the lessons I use in the economics classes I still do deals with the discussion of the value of money in a historical sense. The example being...When I started teaching in 1968 I took home $95 a week. My wife did not work at that time. We had two kids (small). On that $95 we were buying a home, had a 3 year old Plymouth Station Wagon, didn't have steak very often, but didn't eat Top Ramen 3 meals a day either, and we stayed out of debt (most of the time) Gas was roughly 25 cents a gallon then. It is hard to believe we lived that way. I used to roll my eyes when Mother would talk about the Depression Days, but you should see my students when we start to compare notes on budget amounts and salaries. It is a real Apples and Oranges kind of world.
    I remember those $15 dollar a week grocery budgets...but I sure wouldn't want to try to do that today !!
    tacchino
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 19:51:22 (permalink)
    After having worked in other countries with individuals who really were suffering from severe lack of nutrition, I am almost embarassed to note that the tough years for me were back in college with little money(but not starving)...living off Ramen noodles, spaghetti with oil and garlic, and boxed macaroni and cheese.

When I think of the amount of sodium I consumed then, I am very grateful that I was young and resilient...I think that my heart would stop if I tried that diet now, no matter how inexpensive!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1507
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 19:56:00 (permalink)
    Al,
    I started out at about the same time making about the same, but wasn't married. It sure seemed like a lot of money after living on a college kid's allowance.

But I was lucky. I was able to take that first check and buy a competition exhaust for my Triumph TR4-A. Money was never better spent.

But, about the value and perception of money, what has fascinated and confounded me most over the years were any two people in the same workplace making the same amount of money: One lives great, goes on vacation, buys the kids nice clothes, drives a good car, etc. But the other is always at the brink of bankruptcy. And neither has any more bills than the other, such as child support or a very bad habit of some sort. I could never figure it.

Money and what it means to people is a very, very funny, often sad, but always fascinating thing.
    The Bear
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 20:31:29 (permalink)
    I used to take a slice of white bread, then put a slice of American cheese on it and slather chili suace on that, then toast it under the broiler. A poor man's pizza. Hell, I still like it on occasion.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 22:17:35 (permalink)
    During my college days (after my funds were exhausted) we survived on boxes of .10 cents a pack Ramen, Hostess thrift shop two day old bread bread (2 loaves for .50 cents) w/ generic cheese slices slathered with mustard and hot sauce packs picked up from fast food shops, then wrapped in aluminum foil and heated with an iron. Cups of Bouillon broth. Hostess Thrift shop donuts Most of which were paid for by collecting pop and beer cans which were .10 cents a piece in Michigan.

Now this was on weekends of course when the cafeteria was shut down ;-) and because most of my job related earnings were (of course) spent on Beer, Girls, Beer, Gas for the car, Beer and Euchre tournaments.
    BillC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 23:09:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Slick

I used to take a slice of white bread, then put a slice of American cheese on it and slather chili suace on that, then toast it under the broiler. A poor man's pizza. Hell, I still like it on occasion.
    "Hell, I still like it on occasion". Yeah, that works for me.
    I'm never going to make spaghetti sauce out of ketchup again (reminding myself to never say never), but Campbell's tomato soup, peanut butter,canned tuna and American "cheese" still show up in my lunches. Thank God that Underwood's Deviled Ham (canned meat product that I once ate frequently) didn't make such a lasting impression.
    Z66 Butch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 199
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2005/12/22 23:11:46 (permalink)
    When growing up in the 50's there were 9 in my family. Dad was the only one working and I remember him being laid off of work several times. We never went hungry but I remember some of the things we were fed. Ox tail soup was a weekly favorite because at least it had SOME meat in it (boiled back bones). Cracked eggs could be bought in 10doz boxes for a little change. We ate lots of eggs. Mom and dad would stop at a local bakery weekly and they would buy this big box of donuts, cakes and what ever didn't sell. I think they paid a dollar for the box and it was a big box. The stuff in it was not wrapped, except for some loafs of bread, and much of it was broken up etc. but they would always salvage a lot and put some in the freezer and we would chow down on the rest.

The local A&P was not open on Sundays so they went shopping on Saturday evenings about a hour before they closed for the weekend. The store would make the meat down and once in a while we would get something good! We never had (or maybe rarely had) meat as a main dish, rather it was used in stews and soups and with beef and dumplings etc. We raised a BIG garden so there were many vegetables. WE had apple trees, rhubarb, raspberries and blackberries. Mom could make a good pie out of almost anything! Later we started raising some hogs and calves. MEAT AT LAST!

Butch
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/01 03:11:17 (permalink)
    I've been lucky to have never been hungry, but my mother grew up as a young child in Nazi Germany so I learned from her all about not wasting food. During the war, they had a soldier quartered in the house and he ate first (this was when the father was fighting in Russia) and sometimes there was nothing. My mother was and is frugal, but was always a good cook with what she had and very little went to waste. My husband and I try to do the same.

Andrea
    lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11939
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/01 08:51:27 (permalink)
    With an Italian Mother, how could you be hungry? I remember a check-out clerk at the grocery store gasp and said, "$4.95 for TWO red peppers?" My mother said, sinply, "I need them." We never waisted any food, Dad had been in WWII so they were Depression folks. But we sure ate good! Mom doesn't skimp when it comes to food! But she doesn't waste any, either.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5071
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/01 10:25:08 (permalink)
    "$4.95 for TWO red peppers?" In MY area, red & yellow bell peppers are $3.99/lb. No one buys them & I wait 'till they go on sale...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13946
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/01 10:40:01 (permalink)
    Perhaps Lleechef's mother bought special peppers. Red and yellow bell peppers are generally around $0.75 each at Walmart. Green bells are usually around $0.50.

There are many species of peppers. I am not familar with many of them and I tend to stick with what I know.

Jalapeno's are a lot cheaper.

My family was small as there was only my brother and myself plus mom and dad. Dad taught school as well as worked in managment at Alcoa and Mamaw Smith was a speach and hearing therapist for the city school system. In addition we lived on a small farm where dad had a couple of acres of garden which he grew everything and we had a couple of beef cattle around for the additional beef requirements of the family. My grandfather had several pigs around and we had ham, sausage and canned tenderloin available most of the year. Granddad also had many acres of corn and wheat and we had a generous supply of cornmeal and flour. As i have related in earlier post, other things were made from the corn

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/05 04:03:37 (permalink)
    I'm ashamed to say it, but my wife and I waste more food than we ever should. If the left-overs dont get eaten within a day or so, they are usually pitched. I've never went hungry as I was the baby in the family and there was quite an age difference between my two brothers and two sisters that I never saw the hardships. My mother told me that my father worked two to three jobs at a time and lived off of egg sandwiches for a good period of time while the kids were growing up. I have read all of your stories and consider myself to be extremely lucky.

(I even ate good in college. )
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/05 17:23:47 (permalink)
    We have once or twice a week (depending on leftover volume), cream of refrigerator soup nites where all of the left overs are cleared out, exotic dishes and sandwiches are whipped up and enjoyed.
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: How hungry were you when...? 2006/01/05 17:32:43 (permalink)
    I was so hungry that I ate the "mexicali chicken" and "pepperoni lasagna" that TWA used to serve on their late evening Dulles to Saint Louis flight. It alternated every week between the two.
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5