How many stores before a company is a chain?

Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
  • Status: offline
2005/12/07 20:43:13 (permalink)

How many stores before a company is a chain?

I have always wondered, how many locations a company must have, to be considered a chain. I just read on another topic that the person writing the topic didn't consider Marsh, Inc. of Indiana a chain.

According to their website the Marsh Company operates 69 Marsh Supermarkets, 37 LoBill Foods, 8 O'Malia's Food Markets, 162 Village Pantry convenience stores, 1 Arthur's Fresh Market and 1 Savin*$ store, all are in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio, that is a total of 278 stores.

How many stores or restaurants must a company own before it is a chain?
#1

13 Replies Related Threads

    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    • Joined: 2004/07/03 13:19:00
    • Location: San Francisco, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/07 22:54:51 (permalink)
    2--but then I don't mind chains if what they serve or sell is good (I assume at one point it had to be or they wouldn't have grown into a chain).
    #2
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    • Joined: 2001/04/21 19:15:00
    • Location: Round Rock, TX
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/07 23:06:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

    2--but then I don't mind chains if what they serve or sell is good (I assume at one point it had to be or they wouldn't have grown into a chain).

    Yeah, I consider them "chains" when the quality of food takes a dive.

    Not to be confused with "trains", which were fun back in college. Unless of course you were past 4th or 5th, and...oh, never mind.
    #3
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    • Joined: 2003/04/08 18:07:00
    • Location: Rochester, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/07 23:25:20 (permalink)
    OK Bushie, let's stay on the tracks here.
    #4
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    • Joined: 2004/06/04 05:01:00
    • Location: Fontana, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 00:17:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

    2--but then I don't mind chains if what they serve or sell is good (I assume at one point it had to be or they wouldn't have grown into a chain).

    Yeah, I consider them "chains" when the quality of food takes a dive.

    Not to be confused with "trains", which were fun back in college. Unless of course you were past 4th or 5th, and...oh, never mind.
    Not to stoke the boiler any more than I have to, but one never wanted to be the caboose in one of those trains.
    #5
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    • Joined: 2004/06/04 05:01:00
    • Location: Fontana, CA
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 00:18:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

    I just read on another topic that the person writing the topic didn't consider Marsh, Inc. of Indiana a chain.

    According to their website the Marsh Company operates 69 Marsh Supermarkets, 37 LoBill Foods, 8 O'Malia's Food Markets, 162 Village Pantry convenience stores, 1 Arthur's Fresh Market and 1 Savin*$ store, all are in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio, that is a total of 278 stores.


    Not only would I condider them a chain, I'd consider them a large chain. But I'm just a country boy at heart.
    #6
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    • Joined: 2003/02/19 00:15:00
    • Location: portland, OR
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 02:22:44 (permalink)
    [|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]
    #7
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    • Joined: 2005/08/04 13:09:00
    • Location: Crofton, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 10:58:53 (permalink)
    A chain would be more than one.
    But a "chain" isn't necessarily bad. And many chains are quite good.

    Stamey's in Greensboro, is a chain. And is one of the highest regarded BBQ roadfood places in North Carolina.

    I think the dividing factor comes when things get franchised. Then, if the owners aren't careful, things can quickly go down hill (see downhill thread). Some chains stay good, like Five Guys Hamburgers. Other chains go sourfully bad (again, so the chains that have gone downhill thread).

    #8
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5615
    • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 11:12:44 (permalink)
    I hope WJ and SK see this thread.

    They seem to have the impression I am the only one who defines a chain as two or more locations.

    Incidentally, doesn't Pepe's in New Haven - a treasured Roadfood institution if there ever was one - have a second (or third, or whatever such that there are two or more now) location somewhere else in CT? Thinking Fairfield.
    #9
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 11:22:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

    I hope WJ and SK see this thread.

    They seem to have the impression I am the only one who defines a chain as two or more locations.

    Incidentally, doesn't Pepe's in New Haven - a treasured Roadfood institution if there ever was one - have a second (or third, or whatever such that there are two or more now) location somewhere else in CT? Thinking Fairfield.


    http://www.pepes.com/
    #10
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5615
    • Joined: 2003/07/26 22:24:00
    • Location: Cincinnati, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 11:38:23 (permalink)
    wrong Pepe's :-)
    #11
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23297
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 11:57:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

    I hope WJ and SK see this thread.

    They seem to have the impression I am the only one who defines a chain as two or more locations.

    Incidentally, doesn't Pepe's in New Haven - a treasured Roadfood institution if there ever was one - have a second (or third, or whatever such that there are two or more now) location somewhere else in CT? Thinking Fairfield.

    I believe there were stories about a Fairfield location planned. But I can remember when Pepe's was a chain. There was the pepe's on Wooster Street in New haven, and there was also a Pepe's on Whalley Avenue in the Westville section of New Haven. I used to go to the Westville one all the time, becaue it was sort of on the way home from junior high school, and we'd head there for a small, plain pie and a bottle of orange soda -- 45-cents, with the soda. Oh, and small was the size of what places such as Domino's sell as large today. And plain was sauce and parmesan cheese.
    #12
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    • Joined: 2004/12/28 23:37:00
    • Location: dowagiac, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 14:35:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

    wrong Pepe's :-)


    okay, thanks!!!!

    That really makes sense, because the pepe's i put the link for is a chain.

    Thanks,
    Garry
    #13
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    • Joined: 2005/07/01 10:36:00
    • Location: Clifton Park, NY
    • Status: offline
    RE: How many stores before a company is a chain? 2005/12/08 16:07:36 (permalink)
    I think anything more than 2 stores could be considered a chain, 2 would just be a sister store or satellite, after 2 it's More than a Mom and Pop operation.
    #14
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5