Hudson, Mass

Author
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2522
2017/01/22 18:03:08 (permalink)

Hudson, Mass

Over the last few years, down town Hudson has become a go to food scene. We went today. Lunch was at  www.railtrailflatbread.com which serves a thin crust pizza served from an open kitchen. The wood fired pizza is excellent yuppie fare as indicated by all of the young families eating. A pizza with available duck confit is not something that I ordered (and I see that I spelled confit wrong), but it is an example of the creative kitchen staff's desire to be special.

We crossed the street for amazing ice cream.  www.newcitymicrocreamery.com is true home made ice cream, made with local milk and cream. As across the street at the pizza place , creative flavors are the norm. They also have an interesting coffee selection, at lower prices than DunKin DoNuts. They also have a "speakeasy" bar, made to look like a cobbler shop, with a "secret" door.

The ice cream is made with liquid nitrogen, in a process that I had never heard of, but the results are fantastic.  The whipped cream for my sundae was made in a vintage "Instawhip" can (remember them, and the yellow trucks?), but it didn't taste like Instawhip, being very rich, creamy, and slightly sweet. The Shel Silverstien quote on the web site brought back  memories for me. I wrote a book report on him once, thinking that I would "tweek" the teacher, only to have the prof note that he knew him. I later saw him perform with Dr Hook, or thought that I did. Wikipedia says that he was out of the band by the time that I saw it.
post edited by tmiles - 2017/01/22 18:29:52

2 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8524
    Re: Hudson, Mass 2017/01/22 18:32:14 (permalink)
    Sounds like a cool area with goo eateries. Places that make Ice cream with nitrogen are cropping up all over.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re: Hudson, Mass 2017/01/22 20:11:51 (permalink)
    Yeah, we also have a new brewpub (Medusa) and a martini bar (Amici).  Also Horseshoe Pub for a great beer selection.  Harvard Sweet Shop for baked goods.

Rail Trail is very good, and IIRC same owner as the Micro Creamery.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5