Helpful ReplyHot!I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata and the Passion of the Pusty (UPDATED 11/22/17)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Author
billyboy
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2855
2014/10/24 06:17:59 (permalink)

I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata and the Passion of the Pusty (UPDATED 11/22/17)

UPDATED 11/22/17 to include a trip to Rome and Utica, NY in late October 2017 for my college homecoming (see page 6)

Rather than post a trip report every time I travel to Central NY to visit my family, I decided it would be fun to cobble together a number of trips and work my way through some of the region's iconic foods.  In early March 2014, I headed up to Syracuse, NY to spend some time with my sister and her family and to run the Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run.  It's a 4-mile run through a very hilly (up & down!) and traditionally Irish neighborhood.  I was very fortunate to have a few friends running it with me and my niece was running the 0.6 mile course which I ended up running with her as a warm-up to the 4-miler.  SPOILER ALERT: she smoked me on the course and had me choking on her dust!  Ahh, to be 8 years old and have that kind of energy again!

Friday March 7, 2014 - We stopped by by the race course the day before to pick up our bibs and goody bags.

I forget what was in the bags but I did get a sweet pint glass, featuring the iconic "Green-On-Top" traffic light that is still at the intersection of Milton Avenue & Tompkins Street.  

We made our way to the newly re-opened diner The GEM for my pre-race cargo load dinner.

I love diners that display local events and fundraisers on their doors and/or in their windows.

And their dessert list with some excellent pies.  I'm not sure what exactly is made in-house but the pies I have had on recent visits came from the locally loved Geddes Bakery.

The GEM is one of the places that offers up the "Fretatta" which I must try on my next visit as it comes highly recommended by a few of my friends.  

I went for the spaghetti & meatballs, which was a bit of a disappointment.  The pasta was overcooked and the sauce tasted like it may have been from a jar.  However, I did need my carbs for the next morning.  Think I'll stick to the breakfast items and their great burgers next time.

Of course, dessert was a high priority here and the chocolate cream pie did not let me down.  Thick, rich and the crust was definitely homemade.

Saturday March 8, 2014 - My niece, Maddie, and I at the finish line.

For $1.99, I scored this sweet green bow tie at Wegmans for the race!

It was a tough race and it was still pretty cold, snowy and icy but I pushed through and made it to the finish.  I met my friends at the Blarney Stone along with what seemed to be just about everyone else in Syracuse for their special, the Blarney Burger.  At $4.50, this huge, juicy and beefy burger was a real deal.  

Sunday March 9, 2014 - I had plans to meet up with my friend Doug's sister Charlene, her husband Mike and their son, Andreas, for breakfast at the All Night Eggplant, a place I have been wanting to try for some time.  A couple of years ago, I had been following the Best of CNY Breakfast Battle on Syracuse.com and it was a wealth of information on where to find some great Frettas, Frittatas and Frettatas in the Syracuse area.  It's makes for a great map for anyone seeking great breakfasts in the region.  Here's the link to the winners:  http://blog.syracuse.com/...d_the_winners_are.html

I regret that I didn't ask about the restaurant's name as I'm still curious as to where it came from.  

I love a huge, filled omelet but I don't ever envision a scenario in which I would order one with hot fudge!

I think I have to go back, just so I can ask about the meaning of the bo-burger, doozie and Vhopper!

Andreas went with the chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream, bacon and toast.\ which he really seemed to like.

I'm not sure what Mike had but Charlene got an omelet with some great looking home fries and toast.

Naturally, I had the Fretta, a mixed-scramble of eggs, peppers, onions, home fries, sausage, pepperoni, broccoli, ham and Swiss cheese.  At many places, cheese is an extra 50 or 75 cents.  The variety of ingredients varies from place to place but the broccoli and pepperoni seem to be the two signature ingredients that separate this dish from the Giambottas/Gymbrauts/Giambottes of the Utica-Rome area.  Fear not, THAT dish will make a couple of cameos later on in this report!  This is an incredibly filling dish and many places offer 1/2 sizes (and in some cases 1/4 sizes) which I would recommend as even the 1/2 size is HUGE it its own right.  Everything just came together with this: soft, crunchy, spicy, starchy, etc...  A local specialty definitely worth seeking out.

The write-up on Syracuse.com heartily recommended the toasted honey bun so I just had to try it.  I it was a honey bun cut in half lengthwise and griddles on the flat-top.  Tasty, but it didn't really stand out to me and that may have been my own fault.  I waited until after I had finished my Fretta to dig into it and I think it is something that is best eaten right away.  I've heard talk that a few other restaurants in town offer it up as well.  They also offer a Toasted Honey Bun Sundae which sounds right up my alley!

After we said our goodbyes, I made my way over to the local Byrne Dairy location on Old Liverpool Road as my bother-in-law had mentioned that they were selling green Irish Mint milk and there was no question I would have to try it!  This location has a HUGE selection of their own ice cream and a surprisingly large choice of local and not so local craft bottled beers.

Inspiration struck and I bought a half gallon of beth the Irish Mint and Chocolate milks and made a gloss of half & half back at my sister's house.  Chocolate Irish Mint milk...quite possibly the best thing I have drank so far this year!

No, you're no hallucinating, that milk IS green!

Monday March 10, 2014 - Time to head back to NYC.  Mom and I took a short drive to Baldwinsville, NY for lunch at the B'ville Diner.  Lucky for me, they serve breakfast all day so I went for their Fretta, which according to their menu, is: "Scrambled Eggs with Italian Sausage, Pepperoni, Red and Green Peppers, Mushrooms, Onions, and Home Fries served with Italian Toast".  They are one of the few places that doesn't include broccoli in their version.  
Have I said how much I love places with placemats, coffee mugs and walls/windows featuring ads for local businesses?  

Plus homemade signs for local concerts, stage productions, craft fairs, fundraisers, etc...?

And pride for the sports teams at the hometown high school.

64 years strong!

On the left is a Proclamation that July 3rd, 2010 was "Ron Palillo Day" in Baldwinsville, NY.  I'm not exactly surf what his connection is to Baldwinsville but can anyone guess what TV show he was on and the name of the character he was most famous for portraying?

My Fretta with Swiss cheese.  This one came together quite nicely.  I miss the crunch of the broccoli but I wouldn't hesitate to get this again.

Stay tuned...!

post edited by billyboy - 2017/11/22 19:24:14
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12017
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 07:50:07 (permalink)
That is quite a dessert list my friend!  And it looks like you made a fine choice.  I would have gone banana cream pie, although the chocolate peanut butter cake is intriguing.

Looking forward to reading more of your adventures.
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10305
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 08:42:01 (permalink)
Love the tie, and the shoes! That is a fantastic deal for the burger...always enjoy your reports...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8048
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:01:09 (permalink)
Nice burger at a nice price!

I hope you didn't keep Maddie waiting long...
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1094
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:13:09 (permalink)
I work right down the street from the Blarney, and as a matter of fact, I'm going for a Blarney Burger for lunch today. Might even stop in after work also for a pint of Guinness and their free taco bar at happy hour. Their chicken wings are among the best in town too.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:19:51 (permalink)
billyboy
54 years strong!

On the left is a Proclamation that July 3rd, 2010 was "Ron Palillo Day" in Baldwinsville, NY.  I'm not exactly surf what his connection is to Baldwinsville but can anyone guess what TV show he was on and the name of the character he was most famous for portraying?

"Oooh!  Oooh!  Mr. Kotter!  Mr. Kotter!"

You might want to go back and check your math again, Billy...
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:28:11 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken, BINGO!!

My math??
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:29:26 (permalink)
2014 <> 1950 + 54
Although I'd be OK with turning the clock back to 2004!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:37:36 (permalink)
Oops!  Thanks for the catch!  I've love to turn it back too!

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1291
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:49:18 (permalink)
I love it when you post the central NY reports and i especially love seeing that Byrne Dairy is still using the glass returnable bottles.  I can't beleive it's now been 20 years since I went to school there (Colgate).  I really need to make a trip soon.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 10:51:36 (permalink)
BB, I may have to go back to The GEM as I have yet to try their Frettata and that chocolate peanut butter cake DOES sound intriguing.  I love banana pudding but have never been a fan of banana cream pie so I generally skip it.

Thanks Ann!  I've got another pair of neon green "HULK" running shoes that I just love!  Thought it would be nice to ham it up a bit for St. Patrick's Day, though my get up was definitely one of the more subtle ones that day...

SeamusD, I may have to check out those other Blarney Stone specials on my next visit!  My friend Shawn, who ran the race with me, had been talking up that burger for some time and she was spot on.  The fries though, weren't anything to write home about.  Have you been to Niki's Quick Cup Diner on Genesee St near N. Lowell Ave?  I'm looking to try more Frettas on my next visit and have heard good things about Niki's.

post edited by billyboy - 2015/03/02 22:49:49
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11513
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 11:04:28 (permalink)
The frettas look really good, even though I don't eat eggs.  But that burger!  Oh, I'd fight you for it!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3009
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 11:25:38 (permalink)
Billy, they sure do know how to do breakfast don't they. 
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 11:29:13 (permalink)
pnwchef, they sure do!  I've been working on a Master List of diners in the Syracuse area so I can keep track of where I've been, what I've eaten and where I have yet to go, dishes to still try, all on one convenient list.  I've got 21 on the list so far and I've put a significant dent in it.  They say New Jersey is the "diner state" and I'd like to nominate Syracuse, NY as the "diner city"!
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 12:06:39 (permalink)
Saturday March 22nd, 2014 - I had planned to participate in the CNY Heart Walk with my sister and her family this weekend, however, our great uncle had passed away a couple of days before, so we headed to Rome, NY to pay our respects.  My maternal grandmother had 11 brothers & sisters and Uncle sam was married to her youngest sister, Doris,  Uncle Sam was the very last person left from all of the siblings and their spouses.  I'd like to think that they were all waiting for him somewhere with a beer at the ready and a big group hug, glad to see him again.  

Sunday March 23rd, 2014 - We headed back up to Syracuse and the next afternoon I made my way over to the American Diner just a few blocks from the Roadfood reviewed Heid's hot dog stand.  Google has been very helpful at pinpointing restaurants, diners, cafes, etc and has piqued my curiosity to explore and find places I had never heard of before.  There is actually a burger place a few doors down that serves Rhode Island "gaggah-style" hot dogs (complete with chili sauce, mustard, onions and celery salt...to be investigated by my taste buds very soon!) and a pizza place near Utica that is supposed to have a New Haven style white clam pie!!  Go figure!

Upon reading their website, I was a little unsure if I should even go to this diner as they are clearly very pro-gun, anti-government and anti-Obama.  I don't have an issue with people having different political leaning than my own but I was skittish about how "in-your-face" they might be about it in person.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

The menu.  

A close-up of the top of the menu.

It's clear that they have very strongly held, passionate beliefs but no one was in my face about anything at anytime during my visit here.  I arrived about 10 minutes before closing and they were nice enough to seat me and let me order something from the grill while some of the staff were stacking chairs and cleaning up.  The cook saw me taking pictures and inquired about it so I told him of my Fretta quest and he got a good laugh out of it and said he hoped that I liked theirs.  
My 1/4 Fretta with Swiss cheese (yes, THIS is a 1/4 size!!) and Italian toast.  Gotta have my thick cut Italian toast!  Another excellent version.  Everything came together and the Swiss was added at the end but I just mixed it all together and it melted and became all stringy and delicious.  I had difficulty with this and couldn't finish it all so I got a box to go and ended up polishing it off later as a snack.  I really like this place but as I was one of the last people there I am curious as to how different the vibe would be if the place was packed with regulars.  I suspect I might feel a bit out of place but I'd like to go back and find out and sample some of the other great sounding items on the menu.

May is on the way with a trip to Syracuse University's Carrier Dome...Go ORANGE!!!
post edited by billyboy - 2014/10/24 12:14:23
SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1094
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/10/24 15:18:22 (permalink)
billyboy
SeamusD, I may have to check out those other Blarney Stone specials on my next visit!  My friend Shawn, who ran the race with me, had been talking up that burger for some time and she was spot on.  The fries though, weren't anything to write home about.  Have you been to Niki's Quick Cup Diner on Genesee St near N. Lowell Ave?  I'm looking to try more Frettas on my next visit and have heard good thing about Niki's.

Yeah, the fries are just fries. I usually get the onion rings. I don't think they make them in house, but they're better than the fries. Thursday nights is wing night, not sure of the deal but you get a good discount (Edit: went to Blarney for wing night last night, 35 cent wings). Usually they're $7.50 for an order. And Fridays, free happy hour buffet with a taco bar, and they usually have pizza and sandwiches also. It's no secret why they're always busy, and actually going to expand soon.

I haven't eaten at Niki's, although I drive by it just about every day. I've heard that they have good food though.
post edited by SeamusD - 2014/11/07 13:46:45
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 13:34:01 (permalink)
Friday May 9th, 2014 - Back up to Syracuse once again for a very special weekend, but more on that in a bit!  Upon arriving, my sister and I made a beeline for Stella's Diner where we met up with Dennis & Maddie for dinner.

I love the different Daily Specials.  I wish we could have made it here on Sunday for the Scalloped Potatoes & Ham!

I inquired about "The Godfather" (rigatoni baked with homemade meat sauce, meatballs, Italian sausage and mozzarella (not sure if I asked for the cheese or if it is included?)).  Our waiter said it is HUGE and said I'd probably be taking a lot of it "to go".  He wasn't kidding.  Delicious but way too much food for one meal.

The sleeper hit for me was Dennis's Tuna Noodle Casserole.  I HATED this dish as a kid.  My only experience with it was the boxed version with the awful orange/yellow powdered cheese sauce substance.  Stella's version is clearly homemade with bow tie pasta, peas, a creamy white cheese sauce and lots of toasty breadcrumbs on top.  I managed to get a few bites and wished over and over that I could have known about this dish 30 years ago!  

For dessert, we were all on the same page...Gannon's Isle Ice Cream!!  They've been a Syracuse institution since 1982 and this particular location has been open since 2013.  While waiting at a traffic light, I spotted my friend Mike walking to his car, having just picked up some takeout from Dinosaur Bar-B-Que.  I yelled out, "Whatchu doin' in my neighborhood, man?!"  We both got a good laugh out of randomly running into each other and busting' some chops.

Which local college will the staff be attending in the fall?  Uncertain, but a little contribution to the textbook fund never hurts.

Love the artwork.  Reminds of a mash-up of Garbage Pail Kids and Don Martin's Mad Magazine artwork.

And the cool tie-dye t-shirt.  I wore many of these back in my college days.

A two-scoop cup of Peppermint Patty and Peanut Butter Oreo hit the spot.  

My sister went for the Peppermint Patty in a waffle cone.  I think of this more like the Peppermint Stick ice cream I remember from my youth, with crunchy bits of red & green peppermint stick candy in it. 

Saturday May 10th, 2014 - I headed out mid-morning to for a late breakfast and to check out yet another Frittata, this time at the Gardenview Diner in Liverpool, NY.  I've been here before for some good pie but never for a full meal. The design of this place looks like it belongs in Miami, not Central NY!

Believe it or not, this is the HALF order and it comes with garlic toast (something I haven't seen anywhere else, but a very nice touch!).  I opted for Swiss cheese on it, as I often do and it was a hot mess of food that was very comforting and satisfying.  This really is one of my favorite breakfasts to order when I come up to visit family and I still have almost a dozen more diners yet to try.  The place was packed and many of them were regulars, based on the banter from the waitresses.   

After that savory breakfast, something sweet was in order and just down the street was Vicky's Tasty Treats.  Seasonal, soft-serve only and a Liverpool, NY institution for over 40 years.  

My "go-to" order of a Mexican Sundae: vanilla soft serve, chocolate sauce, salty Spanish peanuts and whipped cream.  Never gets old.

Sunday May 11th, 2014 - And now for the very special part of this trip...after working full time for about 30 years, raising a daughter and going to school part-time for the past 12 years, my brother-in-law, Dennis, received his Bachelor's Degree from Syracuse University this weekend.  Well done, Dennis!  We are all very proud of you.  Nothing like going to a commencement ceremony at the Carrier Dome!  

And with the graduates-to-be filling in their seats.

Dennis, on his way in, with the fist bump!

Later that evening, Mom, sis, Maddie and her friend Emma and I all went out for dinner at the Utica Pizza Co. in North Syracuse.  I've been here a few times before and really liked it.  They started out as Charlie's Pizza in Utica, NY and have three locations in that area and recently decided to bring a taste of Utica to the Syracuse area.  Despite being only a 1-hour drive between Utica & Syracuse, the Utica specialties such as Chicken Riggies, Greens, Tomato Pie, Hats & Broccoli and Pusties haven't really found their way on to very many Syracuse area restaurant menus

We started out with a couple of slice of tomato pie for the table.  These were tasty but not my favorite of all the ones I have tried over the years.  The texture was somewhat chewier than I'm used to.  I really like a soft, pillowy dough.  I honestly don't remember my thoughts on the sauce.  Must take better notes!  Will definitely have to come back for more, um, research.

Next up was a half order of the Original Utica Style Greens (according to the menu, it is sautéed escarole w/proscuitto, salami, cherry peppers, and onions with an Oreganata mixture (bread crumbs & oregano)).  I really wanted to like this as I am a HUGE lover of CNY greens from way back but I think they leaned much too heavy on the Oreganata in this as the texture and taste came across more like a Thanksgiving stuffing and I've always felt that the escarole should be the star of this dish while bread crumbs and other ingredients should play supporting roles.  I will say that I did make a return trip here in October 2014 and had a dish that really wowed me.  More on that later...

And the case of pastries from Cafe Canole in Utica, NY.  While Utica Pizza Co. doesn't make their own pastries, they wisely get them from a place that does specialize in them and has them delivered.  Respect.  The cream puffs and mini Italian cheesecakes looks tempting but those pusties on the left of the bottom shelf were calling my name.  I asked how much for a pusty and they said $3.58.  I have to admit, that is pretty pricey for a single one, but much like Vincent Vega and the $5.00 milkshake in "Pulp Fiction", I HAD to know what a $3.58 pusty tasted like.  It was good, damn good.  probably one of the best I've had but the price is still too much for a second one...for me anyway.  I could see maybe paying that if I lived in an area where pusties were hard to come by but I visit family in the Utica-Rome area quite a bit and that region is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to pusties and they usually run $1.50 to $1.75 a piece.  

Monday May 12th, 2014 - Before heading to the train station and back to NYC, I made a lunch stop (and to pick up some groceries I can't find in NYC - spiedie sauce, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que potato chips, half moon cookies, Grandma Brown's Baked Beans!) at the Wegmans supermarket on Taft Road in Liverpool, NY.  They have a cafe there and it is one of the few Syracuse-area stores to sell beef-on-weck sandwiches.  I realize this one is probably not nearly rare enough for many Roadfooders, but it was just right for me.  Instead of spreading it on the whole sandwich, I applied the side of horseradish sauce bite-by-bite for maximum sinus-clearing effect and boy did it work!  Hurts so good!! And that Mint Chip milk was the perfect beverage to wash it down.  

Much more to come!!

post edited by billyboy - 2014/11/08 02:41:32
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3009
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 14:14:25 (permalink)
Billyboy, thanks for the great pictures. I just wanted to tell you how much I hate you for showing all the food I miss from the East coast. No place in the USA do they make these kinds of food like they do there. So thxs a bunch Billy for making me miss these even more, I hope your happy!!!!!!.........
post edited by pnwchef - 2014/11/07 18:46:06
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 14:20:40 (permalink)
SeamusD, thanks for the intel on the Blarney Stone and Niki's.  So many places yet to try in Syracuse.  So little time on my visits...

pnwchef, my job here is done!!  
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 15:01:02 (permalink)
billyboy
Friday May 9th, 2014 - Back up to Syracuse once again for a very special weekend, but more on that in a bit! Upon arriving, my sister and I made a beeline for Stella's Diner where we met up with Dennis & Maddie for dinner.

I inquired about "The Godfather" (rigatoni baked with homemade meat sauce, meatballs, Italian sausage and mozzarella (not sure if I asked for the cheese or if it is included?)).  Our waiter said it is HUGE and said I'd probably be taking a lot of it "to go".  He wasn't kidding.  Delicious but way too much food for one meal.

Too bad you couldn't finish it.  You coulda been a contender... 

Love the artwork.  Reminds of a mash-up of Garbage Pail Kids and Don Martin's Mad Magazine artwork.

Is that you at the far left?

Congratulations to Dennis for sticking with it and getting his degree!
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11497
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 17:52:22 (permalink)
How'd I miss this?

Congratulations to your brother.  A lot of people would quit.  Kudos to him!

Chocolate Mint Milk!   Mint Chip Milk!  I've never seen either of those.  I know I didn't miss them because I've never seen green milk.

Sammiches?  I don't even like when someone calls sandwiches sammies or sammiches.

Great non-report!

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22629
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 18:40:44 (permalink)
Two things:
1. Congratulations to your brother-in-law. That is a wonderful accomplishment.
2. I want The Godfather.

lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 19:08:02 (permalink)
All the pictures are wonderful.  Now I want a spiedie.  My best friend in Boston was from Binghamton.  Every time her parents came to Boston or she went to NY I got a bottle of spiedie sauce.  Love that stuff!  Congratulations to your BIL.......quite an accomplishment. 
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 20:41:15 (permalink)
Friday July 11th, 2014 - I took the bus from New York City to Utica, NY to watch and cheer on my friends at the 37th Annual Boilermaker 15K Road Race in Utica, NY.  Going Greyhound makes for much more cramped quarters, but the cost is about half of an Amtrak ticket and given the regular delays on the train during my last few trips, the bus is certainly more reliable.  My sister and her family had a full plate this weekend so dinner on this evening was the only chance to see them so I borrowed mom's car and headed out to Sylvan Beach, NY to meet them at Eddie's Restaurant.  

Even after 35 plus years, I never get tired of looking at this dessert case.  

Maddie and Uncle Bill (aka Silly Uncle Billy) goofing off before dinner.

I always love to start off a dinner here with a locally brewed Saranac soda and the Black Cherry Cream was a winner with me.

Maddie's Spaghetti & Meatballs.

My Giant Beef BBQ sandwich with scratch-made mashed potatoes & gravy and a pickle.  I'm pretty sure there were more  pickles on the plate but my mouth was faster than the camera!  Slow roasted slices of beef simmered in it's own juices made for one very moist and richly flavored sandwich.  Not sure how the BBQ part of the name came about but it is a darn good sandwich and that bread holds up, right to the last bite.  Those mashed potatoes and gravy were definitely homemade.  

Maddie's Apple pie.  Not a huge fan as their apple pie tends to be sweet and I like more of a sweet/tart balance.

Kelly's Red Velvet cake.  Tasty but I thought the texture was too dense which I think may be a by-product of moisture getting in from the refrigerated case.  

My Chocolate Cream pie, which I would have no problem eating every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

Dennis's Fresh Strawberry pie, which was the sleeper hit for me.  I'm not a huge strawberry fan and when I saw this in the case I thought, "Whoa!  Way too goopy for me!".  Boy, was I wrong.  The "goop" was just enough to hold the fresh strawberries together.  And check out the bottom of the pie, just a whisper of a crust on it.  The focus really is on the strawberries.  And they only make this on Fridays when strawberries are in season.  I spoke to the waitress and she said all of the pies are still made in-house by Helen, the 86-year old pie lady who has been making them for decades.  She comes in every day and make the crusts, lugs around the cart with the pie tins and has just brought on an apprentice to help her with the fillings but she loves coming in and doing her job and it clearly shows.

Love that nighttime neon!

Saturday July 12th, 2014 - I had actually registered for the Boilermaker but since I couldn't run it, I had agreed to meet a guy who wanted to run and transfer my bib to him at the race expo later today.  I headed out early for breakfast and made my way to the Riverside Diner in Marcy, NY.  I had heard that they offer a very good Gimbrotta/Giambotte/Gymbraut/Giambrotta/Giambotta/etc...  The spelling depends on the place and even here they have Gimbrotta on the hand-written menu and Giambotta on the on-line menu.  There may not be a consensus about the spelling but most everyone agrees that it is a very tasty, filling dish.  A kissing cousin of the Fretta/Frittata/Frettata of the Syracuse area, if you will.  

A small place, but big on flavor.

Love the local ads in the front doorway.  

And the staff picks as well as some of the menu favorites.

I picked up a copy of the local paper on at the counter to read about the race while my food was cooking.  The Utica O-D turned me on to many local spots over the years that have since become stand-bys and "must visits" for me when I am in the area.

My half order of Giambotta (eggs, potatoes, Italian sausage, onions, peppers, sautéed greens (escarole) and mozzarella).  For $1 more, I had them add roasted long hot peppers, which was a good move.  They added just the right amount of heat and flavor.  It's not online, but the menu at the counter offered "Hard Crust Italian Toast" which I excitedly ordered.  After so many breakfasts with flimsy buttered toast, finding a place that offers good quality, locally baked bread was a real treat.  Crusty outside, soft inside, thick-cut and with actual flavor!  It seemed like there were an awful lot of potatoes in this and it turned out that the cook had accidentally mixed in a small bowl of home fries that one of the waitresses had ordered for her snack and they didn't charge extra for it.  Thanks!  

The two consistent ingredients in this dish seem to be mozzarella cheese and greens.  I had this dish quite a bit in my college days but this was my first time in at least almost 20 years and it was as good as I remember.  Not sure if it has traveled out of the Utica/Rome area.  Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this dish (with this name) anywhere else.

Next up, I drove over to Roma Sausage & Deli on Bleecker Street in Utica to score a half sheet of my favorite tomato pie.  I arrived around 12:15pm so I figured they'd still have some left.  When I walked in I spied about 8 boxes behind the register.  Score!  Or so I thought...  I heard a couple of guys walking out saying they would try the other location and asked them what had happened.  They said that the pies behind the counter were pre-orders and that Roma was out unless you had already called in advance.  D'oh!  Travelin' Manned!!  Sort of.  I forgot how popular this place is on Boilermaker weekend and I didn't have time to race over to their other location as I had a number of other commitments to which I needed to attend.

At Expo I was able to transfer my bib to a guy from Elmira, NY who had a tough but ultimately good run.  As I was leaving I caught this kid busting out some pretty decent Neil Young covers.  

I may have missed my tomato pie but there was no way I was heading back to NYC without at least ONE trip to Voss BAR B Q.

The menu.

They've added cole slaw, pasta salad and White Hots to the menu.  Next summer...

I had to get a shot of this cheat sheet for the staff that they use when interpreting the shorthand on the order tickets.

I MAY have gone a wee bit overboard with the ordering!  Ham BBQ sandwich, Turkey BBQ sandwich and Mexi-Burger, naturally, but the hot dog ATW (All The Way) may have been too much.  I love their Honest John's hot dogs and especially with chili, cheese and onions.  However, the combo of mustard, kraut, relish, onions and pickles didn't work for me and got in the way of the dog rather than enhancing it.

Traditionally, my friends and I have a big pasta dinner the night before the race.  This year, not all of us were running, some had out-of-town and family commitments so it ended up begin my friends Lori & Danny and myself.  We headed out to DiCastro's Brick Oven in my hometown of Rome, NY for dinner.  

Lori & Danny.  Lori was one of the co-stars along with her friend, Franzi, from Germany, in a trip report of mine from 2012: http://www.roadfood.com/F...zi-in-NYC-m704897.aspx

On of the great elements of DiCastro's is that they have books of photos from Rome, NY spanning many decades and they end up spurring on many conversations from diners who remember so many of the long gone places where they used to live and work.  

They also have old milk bottle from the various dairies that were so prevalent in the area and my mom has told me before how many of these bottle she recognizes as the "milk door" that received so much use 50 years ago is still present next to the front door on my grandparents' house.  

An appetizer plate of mixed arancini (rice balls).   These were great and came in four flavors: pesto, cappy (capicola) & provolone, sausage & greens and spinach.  They were all pretty big hits with the table.

A full order of their Italian Style Greens.  A misfire for two reasons: 1 - a half order would have been more than enough, considering how much food we ended up getting.  2 - Danny and I both noticed that these greens were gritty.  Escarole comes from the ground, so like any leafy green, it must be washed thoroughly before cooking.  These had not been and it was a shock to me as I have been eating greens for almost 30 years and have never experienced grit before.  the flavor was on point but we quickly lost interest due to the texture.  

Danny & Lori said we had to get the House Pizza and I'm sure glad we did!  At first glance I had thought there was too much cheese on it but the combination of mozzarella, marinara sauce, sausage, greens, meatballs and roasted red peppers, along with a slightly charred crust really blew me away.  

We skipped dessert at DiCastro's so we could swing by Vescio's Franklin Hotel for some of their amazing pastries.  I love the food here even though my family aren't big fans.  But we all agree on their baked goods.  Definitely worth going out of your way.  Lori & Danny were kind enough to pick up dinner so I returned the favor by getting dessert.

Lots of chocolate and vanilla pusties.  The woman behind the counter is pretty no-nonsense and has been working there for decades so make sure you know what you want if it's really busy.

I picked up two chocolate, two vanilla and a pair of sfogliatelle to take home to the family.  I think my favorite part of this night was getting to spend time with Lori & Danny in their new house, break bread with them and see how much they love Rome.  They've been a real positive, driving force in promoting Rome as a great place to visit, do business and live and their energy really has rubbed off on so many others.  Thanks so much for all you do for Rome!  And I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Mike Colangelo Sr. and his wife, Jackie.  Mike is a wonderful photographer and has really captured the beauty of my hometown and has also used social media (Facebook) to create a wonderful page called People and Places of Rome, NY to give people a place to talk about the wonderful things happening in our city.  Keep up the good work, man!

That lovely sfogliatelle cross-section.

Still life of a chocolate pusty. 

And the vanilla pusty, ready for its close-up, Mr. DeMille!

Yeah, like I wasn't going to get some chocolate milk to wash down those pusties!  Stewart's makes a fine version.

Sunday July 13th, 2014 - RACE DAY!!  My mom, Harold and I were able to camp out in a median on the race course right across from the Utica College campus, my alma mater.  The sun was shining down in lovely streaks and it looked to be a beautiful, if muggy day for a run.

Right at the 7-mile mark.  1.5K would be much easier in mid-July!

The elite runners, flying down the course.  I had plenty of signs ready and was able to see many of my friends as they ran by and throw some support (and hugs!) their way.

After the race, we stopped for breakfast at Seymour's Diner & Grill in Westmoreland, NY.  

Like many diners/grills/cafes in the area, they are only open for breakfast and lunch most days and only serve dinner on Friday nights.

They are also the home of Seymour's Wild Hogs B-B-Q which I believe mostly does catering, though there are a few BBQ items on the diner/grill menu.  They do offer a pulled pork and brisket sandwich on the lunch menu and BBQ ribs on the Friday dinner menu.  Roadfooder foodcarnie had posted a few months back that he has tried the BBQ here and liked it.  

Love the seating layout in here.

I went for The Redskins Roni 'n Eggs (so named for the Oriskany High School Redskins, one of many menu items named for local high school sports teams) which is sautéed pepperoni mixed with scrambled eggs, plus home fries and toast.  I had been checking out this menu for months and this item was on my mind.  Sadly, I was not a fan.  It was scrambled eggs with some pepperoni mixed in but I never got the impression that the 'roni had been sautéed.  I had hoped it would have rendered down a bit and gotten browned and crispy around the edges, like rendered bacon, but that wasn't the case.  The potatoes were actually hash browns and not home fries, which isn't a big deal to me but these hash browns didn't have much flavor.  I think some salt & butter in the griddling process would have added some depth to them.  The raisin toast was okay but didn't really stand out.

The side of Breakfast Greens was not what I had expected and quite good.  It was almost as if they were somewhat fried and some fried onions had been mixed in.  Totally different than any greens I have ever had in the region but pretty great in their own right.  

There was a farmer's market next door and I scored a couple of jars of homemade jam.  One for Mom and Harold and one to take back to NYC.  That Black Raspberry was terrific.

Monday July 14th, 2014 - My plan was to hit a couple of shops for pusties and then an Italian market for some tomato pie.  My friends had been telling me to check out Cafe Divino in Rome, NY for their pusties.  Travelin' Manned!!  Many places in the area tend to be closed on Mondays so it's always good to abide by the Roadfood Rule and call ahead!

I was also TM'd at Rocco Gualteri's Market which has great Italian provisions and also carries tomato pie and pusties from local bakeries.  Closed on Mondays too!

D'oh!!

No worries.  My next stop was over to Bill's Variety, also in Rome, NY.  Now, I know what you're thinking.  Billyboy, Roadfood at a variety store?  Really?  Yup.  I've been coming to this store for decades.  Usually after church on Sundays: stop at the Home Bakery for freshly made doughnuts and then to Bill's so we could buy our Sunday papers and Grandma could play her lottery numbers.

Thanks to the advent of Facebook I was able to amass a HUGE list of local places to find pusties.  One name kept coming up: Sweet Temptations By Rosemary.  She just started selling them online and doesn't have a B & M (brick & mortar) shop but local stores do carry them.  Bill's Variety is one such store.  I had emailed Rosemary and she said she delivers them early in the morning.  I got there just before 12 noon and snagged the last three pusties!

Pretty simple list of ingredients.

Apologies for the quality of these last few shots as I took them on the Greyhound bus on the way back to NYC.  And for the fall apart nature of the pusties.  I had been carrying them in my messenger bag for some time.

Upon first bite of each one, I knew I was in the presence of pusty greatness.  These were some of the best ones I have ever had and I couldn't stop thinking about them the whole ride back to NYC.  They were so fragile and delicate that they were tough to photograph while the bus was moving.  The last time I witnessed that much jiggling was around Hour 10 of a "Charlie's Angels" marathon!  I'd say I couldn't stop eating them but they only lasted from Utica to Amsterdam (the next stop).

The Passion of the Pusties has begun!!

Still more to come...

post edited by billyboy - 2014/11/08 14:55:06
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22629
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 20:53:20 (permalink)
You're killing me. And I'd kill for that Giambotta (I don't care how it's spelled or pronounced) and for the chocolate cream pie, among other things.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11497
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 21:04:02 (permalink)
WOW!

I'm surprised with all the greens.  Didn't know they had a presence in New York.

Never heard of a Pustie and now I want two.

SLipping on the chocolate milk as it's low fat. 
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 22:59:58 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby mar52 2014/11/08 01:28:28
mar52, I don't know that I had ever seen green milk before either.  But when my BIL had mentioned it to me I was at Byrne Dairy in a flash and seeing the chocolate milk in the case next to it, well...  I think Sammiches is a bit "cutesy" but as long as they deliver the goods they can call them whatever they like!  
-Greens are definitely a HUGE thing in CNY.  Almost every Italian restaurant and pizza parlor as well as many diners and cafes I have been to have their own recipe.  The basic preparation is escarole sautéed with garlic & olive oil.  From there, they can include chili flakes, hot cherry peppers, bread crumbs, parmesan and/or romano cheese, onions, provolone cheese, proscuitto, capicola, pancetta, salami, sopressata, etc.  There are other versions featuring potatoes and meats such as chicken or sausage.  Those ones tend to be named after the restaurant or a person (e.g. Plain Greens vs. Greens A la Cavallo at Tom Cavallo's Restaurant in New Hartford, NY).  
-I've seen greens served as an appetizer with Italian or garlic bread, on steak sandwiches, as a soup, on pizza and as a side with a breakfast of steak & eggs (my personal favorite).  
-You may have heard of pusties in Italian bakeries by their more formal name, Pasticciotti.  

Mr. Hoffman, as much as I truly enjoyed The Godfather, I think I could refuse that offer on a second visit (unless I was sharing it with someone)!  How do you feel about roasted long hot peppers?  They really do add something special to the Giambotta.

leechef, did I mention spiedies or did this thread get you thinking about CNY specialties?  I honestly don't know!    Even though spiedies are a Binghamton thing they can be found in some Syracuse area restaurants and always at the Great NY State Fair every summer.  There is even a place down the street from Eddie's Restaurant in Sylvan Beach that has them.  Not sure how far outside of the Southern Tier they have traveled.  If you and Mr. Hoffman ever find yourselves in CNY, Wegmans carries many spiedie sauce brands (Lupo's, Chiavetta's, Salamida's, Brooks' BBQ) and a great meat market called Mazzaferro's in Rome, NY has many of those as well and some great prepared foods like Chicken Riggies, Greens, tomato pie, and some excellent house made meatballs & sauce.

ScreamingChicken, that pic does resemble me from earlier days, minus the gray hair and in the dead of winter in Central NY when I would let my hair and shockingly red beard grow out!  From time to time, I am told I look like this guy:

Can anyone guess who he is???

post edited by billyboy - 2014/11/08 09:52:20
lleechef
Porterhouse
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 23:35:39 (permalink)
You mentioned picking up some groceries that you can't find in NYC and spiedie sauce was one of them.  It was post #18 I think, above the beef on weck picture.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/07 23:37:36 (permalink)
Thanks!  Billy-Ho is getting' old! 
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re: I Say Fretta, You Say Frittata (or Fretatta!) and the Passion of the Pusty 2014/11/08 00:21:10 (permalink)
Thursday August 14th, 2014 - Dayna and I took Amtrak to Rome to visit the family once more before the summer was over.  the trip up was pretty smooth but the trip back...well, that's another story!  Dinner the first night was at Raspberries Cafe.  They have been in Utica for some time but this was their new location in Rome, NY and housed in a former Friendly's Ice Cream Shop building.  Despite the menu listing the hours as dinner only, Dayna and I did have breakfast here the next morning.

Harold's amazing looking dish of linguini with clam sauce.  Chopped clams and lots of fresh clams in the shell were a real winner.

I think Dayna's dish may have been a special of the day as I can't seem to find it on the menu online but it was a chicken dish with artichokes, mushrooms and some other vegetables over penne and she really seemed to enjoy it.

Per usual, I went with a big platter of Chicken Parmigiana.  House made marinara sauce, lots of gooey mozzarella and crispy yet tender chicken put this high on my ever growing list of Chicken Parms to try again.

Mom had the Chicken Marsala and she declared it a winner as well.  

We skipped dessert and I decided to head over to Stewart's to pickup a pint of Black Sweet Cherry ice cream and a hand packed pint of Black Raspberry.  They didn't have any in-house made hot fudge so I opted for a jar of Smucker's that I heated in a pot of water on the stovetop and that worked just fine.  Both of these were great but the cherry with big chunks of sweet cherries won me over easily.

Friday August 15th, 2014 - Back to Raspberries Cafe for breakfast!

Dayna grabbed a spinach omelet worth home fries and rye toast.  Pretty good.

There was no choice for me but the Giambrotte (according to their menu, it is a mixture of eggs, greens, Italian sausage, potatoes, sweet & hot peppers, onions topped with mozzarella cheese).  It came with toast and juice.  I opted for white and orange.  Pretty good but I definitely liked the way the one at the Riverside Cafe all married together somewhat more than this one and the option of hard crust Italian toast gave them the edge.  Still, I'd come back for this again.  It wasn't so huge that it became daunting to eat but it would be nice if Raspberries offered a 1/2 size option.  Rome does have many baby boomers and elderly residents who have smaller appetites and would likely appreciate a smaller portion at a lower price.

I was not to be denied at Cafe Divino on THIS trip!

Some beautiful golden vanilla and chocolate pusties, just waiting for me to arrive.

Both the chocolate...

and the vanilla were just wonderful.  Sweet dough, slightly crumbly, flaky crust, richly flavored fillings and a perfect ratio of filling to crust.  Top notch.  

Later that morning, we drove way up to Northern NY past Lowville to pick up my niece from her week-long girl scout camp.  We passed so m any great Roadfood-y places I was hoping to check out but no time to stop so I earmarked them for another trip.  Lloyd's of Lowville Diner, the Lowville Prodcuers Dairy Cooperative (home of what I am told is some great cheese, cheese curds, locally-made maple syrup and seller of Croghan Bologna!), and the Croghan Meat Market (home of Croghan Bologna).  

We passed quite a few farms and lots of fields along the way.  Quite a change from NYC!  One of the first trips I made back to CNY with Dayna, who is Brooklyn-born & bred, we passed by a field where a farmer was spreading fertilizer.  Dayna plugged her nose and scrunched up her face, asking, "What is that HORRIBLE smell??!!"  The rest of us replied, "What smell?"  When we explained what is was and why farmers used it, Dayna yelled, "Where have you taken me?!?!"  While no one in my family was ever a farmer, we grew up around farm land and cows for as long as I can remember and that smell has always been a part of our lives so we've never thought of it as a big deal.  Culture shock, for sure!!

I think this house was in Lowville, NY and I just really liked the design.  Would love to see the inside.

On the way back from Maddie's Girl Scout camp, we stopped at a Stewart's shop for some ice cream and a spied this logo for a NY-based propane cylinder exchange company and I couldn't help but wonder, did they REALLY think through the design for this logo before it went to market?  If a MAJOR portion of my body was made up of a propane tank, perhaps running around with, oh, I don't know, AN OPEN FLAME IN MY HAND might seem like a bad idea?  Just my 2 cents!

Saturday August 16th, 2014 - And "The Passion of the Pusty" reaches its zenith!  When we arrived this weekend, one of the first things I did was call Sweet Temptations By Rosemary to inquire about ordering pusties.  Did she have a minimum order?  What flavors did she have available?  Turns out that she lives close to my mom and I was able to walk to her house.  I could order two if I wanted, however, when she said she had 7 flavors, I placed an order for 14 pusties, two of each flavor.  I figured I would get a chance to try each flavor, get some good shots of each one and let the family try them too and get their opinions.  Instead of doughnuts for breakfast it would be a Pustie-Palooza!!

They had a box ready for me with a legend that helped decipher which pusty had what filling.  At $1.50 a piece these were a great deal.

The legend...

that corresponds to the symbols on top of each pusty.

And here is the truest representation pusty obsession.  Honestly, my family thought I had lost my mind when I not only brought all of these home but I had a whole process by which I photographed (many times), cut, photographed again and posed with them.  Rosemary is doing some really fantastic stuff.  I've never seen any place, aside from the RF-reviewed Florentine Pastry Shop in Utica, NY, with such a wide selection and with such great quality pusties.  The curst was like the beautiful love child of shortbread and pie crust and I couldn't get enough of it.  The fillings tasted like homemade, slow-cooked pudding.  Roll call, from left to right: chocolate, peanut butter, pistachio, cannoli cream, vanilla, coconut and lemon.  I think that chocolate and vanilla, the classics, will always be my favorites but of the more offbeat flavors I have to give it up for peanut butter and coconut.  

Rosemary also makes, cookies, cakes, cupcakes and other baked goods.  I'm hoping she may be able to open a storefront in the future and that her business really takes off.  She may do shipping on some items but definitely not with the pusties as they really are too delicate to stand up to any kind of mail system.

Don't change that channel, more on the way...!
post edited by billyboy - 2015/06/20 17:48:15
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5