Helpful ReplyI like Waffle House but this could deter your visit

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13912
2018/08/29 17:52:04 (permalink)

I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit

I sorta enjoy a good fight but during breakfast?
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/08/29/employees-at-memphis-waffle-house-filmed-brawling-over-dirty-dishes.html

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville TN
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9925
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/08/29 19:07:29 (permalink)
Wow free floor show with your breakfast!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11658
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/08/30 13:05:38 (permalink)
Dang!  I ate at Waffle House this morning and ours was QUIET!

RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 227
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/01 23:46:24 (permalink)
The last time I visited Awful House was about 10 years past in the Erlanger, KY location just off I75, while heading south for a family visit on Thanksgiving Day, maybe 6AM. Sitting at the counter and watching the (not very clean) fry cook fixing breakfasts. As he was attempting to lift my omelet from the flattop to the plate, it slid off his spatula onto the (filthy)  prep shelf in front of the flattop. He looked around, then wiped his BARE hands on his apron, then grabbed my omelet and picked it up in two pieces and tried to arrange it on my plate. When the server brought it to me, I told her to make the fry cook eat it, as I wouldn't. She called the manager over, I explained the situation to her, and her astonishing answer "He's the head cook, he would not do that"! We walked out, with the manager threatening to report us to the local police. I told her to call the Health Dept as well for an inspection of this ptomaine pit. She gave up after that. When I contacted WH about the incident, their answer - 'That location is not part of our owned chain and we have no control over them'.
I'll never eat in a WH again.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/02 04:38:48 (permalink)
RKB
The last time I visited Awful House was about 10 years past in the Erlanger, KY location just off I75, while heading south for a family visit on Thanksgiving Day, maybe 6AM. Sitting at the counter and watching the (not very clean) fry cook fixing breakfasts. As he was attempting to lift my omelet from the flattop to the plate, it slid off his spatula onto the (filthy)  prep shelf in front of the flattop. He looked around, then wiped his BARE hands on his apron, then grabbed my omelet and picked it up in two pieces and tried to arrange it on my plate. When the server brought it to me, I told her to make the fry cook eat it, as I wouldn't. She called the manager over, I explained the situation to her, and her astonishing answer "He's the head cook, he would not do that"! We walked out, with the manager threatening to report us to the local police. I told her to call the Health Dept as well for an inspection of this ptomaine pit. She gave up after that. When I contacted WH about the incident, their answer - 'That location is not part of our owned chain and we have no control over them'.

So based on ONE franchise, you condemn  a whole company. Bad experience,true,but it's one terrible cook in one location.You may be missing out on some great breakfasts.
JRPfeff
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5635
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/02 08:17:34 (permalink)
RKB - I wonder if this WH "chef" is related to the WH "chef" at the NC location who was witnessed heading straight from a stall to the kitchen without a stop to wash his hands?
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 369
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/02 18:14:34 (permalink)
RKB

That's about four miles from where I live.  I'll have to give it a try and see if it's any better than your visit.  It has a 4.1 rating with 357 reviews on Google Maps so better than most McDonald's and Taco Bells.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23049
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/02 21:35:08 (permalink)
There are a couple of things I find sort of curious about stuff that's been posted. For one thing, Waffle House omelets are not cooked on the flattop. They're cooked in specific omelet skillets, which are slightly larger than the regular egg skillets. For another, there's no such thing as a "head cook" in  a Waffle House. Those working the grill are listed as, and called, grill operators.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/02 22:38:56 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
There are a couple of things I find sort of curious about stuff that's been posted. For one thing, Waffle House omelets are not cooked on the flattop. They're cooked in specific omelet skillets, which are slightly larger than the regular egg skillets. For another, there's no such thing as a "head cook" in  a Waffle House. Those working the grill are listed as, and called, grill operators.

Good points!!!!
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/03 22:29:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby wanderingjew 2018/09/04 08:03:36
As for the 'head cook', note that the shift manager called him that, not I.
The omelet was indeed in one of their omelet pans, cooked too soon, and the pan was sitting on the flattop to stay warm/not overcook while Bozo the clown finished the rest of our order, then picked up the pan and proceeded to miss the plate and dump it on the prep shelf, pick it up, etc etc.
I'm not missing any 'great breakfasts' by skipping WH.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 07:55:44 (permalink)
RKB
The omelet was indeed in one of their omelet pans, cooked too soon, and the pan was sitting on the flattop to stay warm/not overcook while Bozo the clown finished the rest of our order, then picked up the pan and proceeded to miss the plate and dump it on the prep shelf, pick it up, etc etc.

Actually you ARE missing some good Waffle House Breakfasts...Again you take one experience and condemn every Waffle House because of one unpleasant experience. Not fair. 
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1701
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 17:01:09 (permalink)
Doesn't surprise me. I've never been that impressed with WH food. It's not as good as most diners or truck stops and for quality and quantity Cracker Barrel beats them hands down.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 20:00:20 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
Doesn't surprise me. I've never been that impressed with WH food. It's not as good as most diners or truck stops and for quality and quantity Cracker Barrel beats them hands down.

True...I like both for breakfast...but it's like comparing Apples to Oranges. Not exactly the same thing.
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 21:13:36 (permalink)
leethebard
RKB

Actually you ARE missing some good Waffle House Breakfasts...Again you take one experience and condemn every Waffle House because of one unpleasant experience. Not fair. 

Whoever said life was fair?? You go watch a slob in a dirty apron pick up your food in his bare hands after wiping them on said apron, put it on your plate, then have it served to you - tell me how much you enjoyed it. Then you can talk to me about 'great WH breakfasts' and 'not fair'.
RKB
Cheeseburger
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 21:28:46 (permalink)
Ghaz
RKB

That's about four miles from where I live.  I'll have to give it a try and see if it's any better than your visit.  It has a 4.1 rating with 357 reviews on Google Maps so better than most McDonald's and Taco Bells.

Ghaz,
The visit in question was IIRC 2012. It is likely much better now - but it is stuck in my mind and I can't tolerate that memory. I'll not go back.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/04 21:46:24 (permalink)
RKB
leethebard
RKB

Whoever said life was fair?? You go watch a slob in a dirty apron pick up your food in his bare hands after wiping them on said apron, put it on your plate, then have it served to you - tell me how much you enjoyed it. Then you can talk to me about 'great WH breakfasts' and 'not fair'.

Again...you are taking ONE experience and and turning it plural...from your one bad experience you are talking about, quote: "not missing any great great breakfasts" at WH....when people take one personal experience and make a Blazing Generality is just wrong(that's because you don't like "not fair" Blazing generalities , a no-no in advertising is equally out of place here!!
saps
  • Total Posts : 1648
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/05 00:37:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/09/05 06:57:04
There is no right or wrong here.  If someone has a bad experience at an outpost of a chain restaurant, especially one that causes them to walk out after addressing it with a manager and the manager not only denies what happened but then threatens to call the police on them, it's certainly understandable why someone wouldn't want to give that chain a second chance, even at another location, with so many other alternatives available.

Also, the converse is also true, that RKB may be missing out on some bad breakfasts or other bad situations- like the fight at the Memphis Waffle House, or the shooting at a Waffle House in Antioch, Tennessee in April that killed 4 people.
HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/05 16:51:29 (permalink)
Never been to a Waffle House. Not sure if there are any in San Antonio. But if I want dinner and a show too, I'll just go to Chaco's on Perrin Beitel.There's usually something going on.Had a shooting there I think last month. Stuff happens there all the time. Most of the time it never makes the local news, but at other times it does.
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7218
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/06 10:11:11 (permalink)
I'm a fan of Waffle House, my wife refuses to go.

Waffle Houses reflect the communities in which they are situated better than any other chain eatery.

God Bless them for both that and the fact that they offer VALUE for the $.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re: I like Waffle House but this could deter your visit 2018/09/06 23:23:58 (permalink)
MetroplexJim
I'm a fan of Waffle House, my wife refuses to go.

Waffle Houses reflect the communities in which they are situated better than any other chain eatery.

God Bless them for both that and the fact that they offer VALUE for the $.

Definitely VALUE. We go to the one in Amish country in Penn. Delicious food for little $ !
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5