Helpful ReplyIRELAND

Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3096
2017/05/13 16:53:05 (permalink)

IRELAND

We are traveling to Ireland for 8 nights. We'll be visiting Dublin, Killarney and Galway. We will have a car, everything is open. If anyone on this site has had a good experience for food in any of these cities or roads leading to them please let me know. I have picked Ralph Melton brain for some of the places he stayed at and dined in......I'll be on the road early tomorrow 'Mother's day" but I will check in at see if anyone has anything to offer. I will raise my glass of Guinness beer to all of you for the great help you all have given me over the many years on this site.....Thanks........Bill
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 17:03:59 (permalink)
I'll make the obvious suggestion. Drop into the Guinness factory for a tour and some samples and a meal at the Brewers Dining Hall. They added this on a while ago and I've heard good things about their food.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5766
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 17:19:46 (permalink)
I can't remember the exact places because it's been over 25 years. But I can tell you, we never had a bad meal.

God must have a special love for the Irish because, they'll love you with an open heart. And you in turn, will have a great love for them.

Their food is not fancy. But it is fresh and delicious.

Do eat, Oysters*, Mussels, Dublin Bay Prawns, Fish, Potatoes, and their incomparable Soda Bread. And it go's without saying, lot's of perfectly pulled Guinness!

*Possibly, the best in Ireland (the world?): Moran's Oyster Cottage. 12 miles north of Shannon up the west coast to Galway.
http://www.moransoystercottage.com

post edited by Twinwillow - 2017/05/13 17:52:56
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 17:35:50 (permalink)
More on Moran's Oyster Cottage......
https://www.yelp.com/biz/...-oyster-cottage-galway
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 17:50:08 (permalink)
Twinwillow
More on Moran's Oyster Cottage......
https://www.yelp.com/biz/...-oyster-cottage-galway

Morans, will be on our way to Galway from the Cliffs of Moher. I think with a big Irish breakfast to hold us over it will be a perfect stop after the cliffs.......Thanks.....Bill
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 17:52:00 (permalink)
The best oysters and seafood we ever ate. PERIOD!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 23237
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 18:29:50 (permalink)
Careful Bill. If they find out your name you might be in trouble. But have a great time -- at least till they find out. Is Molly going, too?
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 19:35:07 (permalink)
Twinwillow

I'll be sure to ask them to shuck an extra oyster in your honor. 

Michael, I'm sure they hung my family in the town square many years ago. Over the last few years Mollie has build up a relationship with her Dad. Her Dad got married and around Christmas time she went to live with her new family. They now live in a one horse town in Oregon. Mollie took me for a  2 1/2 minute tour of the town last month. Mollie will be 17 yo in December, she no longer needs Papa. I can spare myself some grief trying to wait up at night and falling asleep with the shotgun on my lap......Bill
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 19:42:50 (permalink)
pnwchef
Twinwillow

I'll be sure to ask them to shuck an extra oyster in your honor. 

As they say in Ireland, "May the good Lord bless you". Thanks!
mousec
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 318
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 20:58:03 (permalink)
In Killarney make certain that you stop by Murphy's ice cream.

The Guinness Factory tour is a must stop. By far it is the best brewery tour I have ever taken.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 21:08:41 (permalink)
mousec
In Killarney make certain that you stop by Murphy's ice cream.

The Guinness Factory tour is a must stop. By far it is the best brewery tour I have ever taken.

Thanks, I didn't know Murphy's was in Killarney I though it was only in Dingle. I see there is also one in Dublin, Galway and the Cliffs of Moher.  Now that I know, it will be a stopping place every night. Ireland is known for anything Dairy and Beef.       
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/13 23:49:09 (permalink)
pnwchef
 Ireland is known for anything Dairy and Beef.       

The milk from Irish cows come out as butter. No churning needed.
Ivyhouse
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 373
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 10:11:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sundancer7 2017/05/15 14:00:31
Recommend O'Neills Pub in Dublin.  Had a late lunch/early dinner.  The food was very good and the place was comfortable.  In Dublin we stayed at the Shelbourne.  It is lovely and very well situated.  I had my first full Irish breakfast there, it was very good.  Full disclosure -- the hotel is a Marriott and I work for Marriott.  But it is still very nice!

I would love to go back to Ireland.  It was beautiful, the food was great -- two enthusiastic thumbs up for Murphy's, and for mussels.  We went in September and the weather was perfect.  Everyone warned us about rain, we did not see a drop.  Best wishes for a great trip.
post edited by Ivyhouse - 2017/05/15 16:02:57
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5598
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 12:23:50 (permalink)
might want to take a look at

http://forums.roadfood.co...p2.aspx?&tree=true
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13939
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 14:04:02 (permalink)
If I go to Ireland and it is on my bucket list and I stay in Dublin,  This is where I would do lunch upon the advice of one of our Roadfooder Ivyhouse.  :Recommend O'Neills Pub in Dublin.  Had a late lunch/early dinner.  The food was very good and the place was comfortable

I looked at their menu and and it definitely appeals to me.  I do not know how their money compares to US dollars?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
post edited by Sundancer7 - 2017/05/15 14:40:17
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 15:17:22 (permalink)
Sundancer7
If I go to Ireland and it is on my bucket list and I stay in Dublin,  This is where I would do lunch upon the advice of one of our Roadfooder Ivyhouse.  :Recommend O'Neills Pub in Dublin.  Had a late lunch/early dinner.  The food was very good and the place was comfortable

I looked at their menu and and it definitely appeals to me.  I do not know how their money compares to US dollars?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

Ireland uses the Euro as their currency. Today's rate; $1.00 = €1.098
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 17:03:06 (permalink)
I'm at JFK now and looked at the rate they were giving at the exchange. It cost $102 American for 80 euro's. I normally just use my visa for everything. I'll pick up some euros at a ATM someplace along the way. We had fun in our 24 hour layover in NYC a few slices of ny pizza and a real good Cuban sandwich. I'll be talking you yah soon, only with a Irish accent.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 17:14:49 (permalink)
We just spent the night at the residence inn on 6th and 39th in NYC. The did a nice job. The bed were great. When we get back next week I'll be at the Marrot I think it's on Lexington and 48th.... I'll look into O' Neills...,.thanks For the help
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6627
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 18:22:28 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sundancer7 2017/05/15 19:02:35
We visited the land of 40 Shades of Green about a dozen years ago, celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.  I wrote about it extensively, offering suggestions and advice in another thread started by a Roadfooder who was headed there in 2006.  Hard to believe, but I was even more long winded then than I am now, so here's the summary as it relates to your stated itinerary:

Don't get a rental car until you're ready to leave Dublin.  It will actually be a hindrance to you in the city.  In fact, if Dublin is the only place you're visiting on the east coast, maybe take a bus to the west coast and rent a car there.

Unless you've got experience driving on the "wrong side of the road", you may want to relegate your time behind the wheel to daylight hours.  Narrow, unlit, poorly marked roads are the norm in Ireland.  Driving during the day is stressful enough.  After dark it can be a horror show.

Your rental will probably have GPS.  Even so, I recommend picking up a copy of Irish Ordnance Survey Complete Road Atlas of Ireland. As I said back in 2006, "...The IOS Atlas is a highly detailed roadmap that may save both your life and your marriage. It will also give you great insight into nearby sites; historic, panoramic and otherwise. It is indispensable. It is also written in very small print; bring a magnifying glass."  A GPS will get you from point A to point B, but the IOS will show you all the fascinating stops worth making in between.

There are no straight lines in Ireland.  It's a tiny country, but you won't get anywhere quickly, so don't even try.  Slow down and enjoy the scenery, it's unavoidable.

If you're on a budget, eat a big breakfast at your B&B.  Generally they're very good and very filling, eliminating the need for a big lunch.  If you're primary goal is to try as many restaurants and pubs as possible, avoid the breakfast because you'll be full until dinner.

Twinwillow is right, the Soda Bread is quite good, but the Brown Bread is SPECTACULAR!  I think it's baked in peat fired ovens and picks up the most amazing aroma and flavor.  We ended up asking most of our B&B hosts to skip the Soda Bread and just bring out the brown stuff.

Other food notes:
Can't speak for all of Ireland, but the fish and seafood on the west coast was fantastic.  We enjoyed great chowders, lovely grilled and fried fish, and magnificent smoked salmon almost every day.

Responding to other comments above, we fell in love with Irish Dairy, but found the beef didn't deserve as much of a build up as it received.  It was fine, but ordinary.  Whereas the Dairy soared with rich texture and wonderful flavor.  Wish we would've tried more lamb and mutton.

When in Galway, head over to McDonagh's Fish & Chips, the experience described in detail here.

We ate most of our meals in the pubs.  Very good food at reasonable prices. 

Don't dismiss the restaurants located in petrol stations.  We grabbed a very good Chinese carry out meal later in the evening when everything else was closed.  It was a life saver, and damned good food to boot.

While at the petrol station, pick up a hunk of Irish Cheddar (or whatever cheese you like) and a packet of McVitie's Digestive Biscuits or HobNobs.  They make a great snack as you're traveling the road, or while settling into your B&B at the end of the day.

I'm sure more will occur to me after awhile, but that's enough for now.

Have a great trip!
Buddy

Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1838
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 19:01:30 (permalink)
pnwchef
I'm at JFK now and looked at the rate they were giving at the exchange. It cost $102 American for 80 euro's. I normally just use my visa for everything. I'll pick up some euros at a ATM someplace along the way. We had fun in our 24 hour layover in NYC a few slices of ny pizza and a real good Cuban sandwich. I'll be talking you yah soon, only with a Irish accent.

Feel free to use your Visa while traveling in the EU, as you will be. Especially if you have a chip card. Swipe cards are old technology and most of Europe is well into the 21st century now. You'll get better rates of exchange that way and, if you need cash, use a local banks ATM. The rates are better than the airport thieves.
mlm
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 659
Re: IRELAND 2017/05/15 19:24:03 (permalink)
I love your notes on Ireland and the cuisine, Jeff. I'm going to have to go back and reread the original report. I assume the one concerning the Meltons' trip a couple of years ago. My family ancestory is about three quarters Scottish, Irish, and English and I was raised by two meat and potato souls and I'm finding this branch did not fall far from the tree. The older I get, the more I appreciate good ol' animal protein and spuds with a generous serving of dairy and that good old brown bread on the side. Fusion is ok, global is fine, vegetarian can be fun but meat and potatoes is where it's at.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5