Ice Cream Trailer advice needed

Author
Ice Cream Queen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2018/01/31 11:47:21 (permalink)

Ice Cream Trailer advice needed

I've been reading a lot on this forum and others about how to get an ice cream trailer set up. One of the main things I haven't been able to figure out is which ice cream machine I should buy and what mix I should use, as well as what generator will power everything I want. This is what I want to do:

Serve soft serve ice cream treats, like cones, sundaes, milkshakes and a few things I'll make from scratch in the trailer.
I'll need a microwave
I'll need a blender and a milkshake machine
I'd like to get a Panini machine as well, to make grilled cheese sandwiches
I'll need a freezer & a fridge.

I would like a Taylor ice cream machine, but don't have much of an idea which one. I know I don't want the 110v one because it wouldn't put out enough ice cream fast enough. I've been in contact with a couple of different companies and am still waiting to hear from one of them. No prices were given.

What mix produces a good quality product? If possible, I'd like a powder mix because they don't need to be refrigerated like a liquid mix does. Anybody have experience enough to know what a really good quality powder mix would be? Brand, distributor, etc?

I would like a quiet generator, but it will have to be 200+ volts. I've looked into a few but since I don't know what ice cream machine I'll get, I don't know how to size the generator. Catch 22... The one ice cream machine company guy told me that it wouldn't be very possible to run my setup on a generator. I don't believe him, as others on this forum and other forums do just that.

I would just like "ice cream" people to please tell me what equipment they have (make, model, etc) and what generator they use. Then I'll go from there with my research

Thanks!

3 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3038
    Re: Ice Cream Trailer advice needed 2018/01/31 21:19:05 (permalink)
    Depending on the volume you can either get a top gravity fed hopper or a bottom hopper that needs to be pumped into the freezer cylinder. You also need to figure out what happens if the machine breaks down. I figure a soft serve machine in a truck will have to be cleaned nightly. They may also want you to sanitize all the parts in a commissary. The shakes made with soft serve are good. 

I used a power mix in one of my Cafe's and didn't really like it. If my business depended on it, I wouldn't have done it. It was just a small part of the operation. If your looking for a great quality try to serve Frozen custard. The mix comes in 1/2 gal containers. You could store most of your product in the commissary and just bring whats needed daily. 

Taylor machines have been around for ever. Dairy Queen use them so that should tell you something. If you live near a major city, look to see if there's a food product and equipment show coming to your area. The show would give you access to tasting new ice cream products and also talk to ice cream machine sales people. The show would also have all your single serve container needs........Good luck......Bill
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Ice Cream Trailer advice needed 2018/02/01 04:29:26 (permalink)
    So here are the basic facts behind this problem. First if soft-serve is the way you want to go you want to get a Taylor Counter top 240v SINGLE PHASE machine. Preferably dual pour. If you are looking for a full sized unit it would be a Three Phase, which would be difficult to get a 3Phase generator to fit in a trailer. They are really big.
    At a 240v you would be looking around 4800-5600w depending on model. So if you include a panini press, microwave and fridge-freezer you would be looking at around 13kw-20kw + if you include hot water tanks, pumps and a cash registers, etc. That's a lot of Generator for a food trailer. And really difficult to get as a quiet unit. Not impossible but really expensive.

I agree with PNWChef that powdered units have their own issues, one of which is constant cleaning. But as the second of which is turnover. The reason I recommend a dual pour system is that with proper planning you need never run-out of product. By Keeping one unit freezing the next batch while the other side is being served. And then alternating production sides. THIS IS THE BIGGEST DOWNSIDE TO SOFT-SERVE. 

The amount of down time needed between refresh rates is nothing to casually cast aside. Most trailer and truck units we know don't operate at the same location day in day out. As such, they rarely use shore power so the ice cream unit can't be left on over night to save on the waist. And since this is the case it would need to be cleaned out daily. Only other way past this is using/buying shore power at festivals, fairs and events to allow the machine to stay on over night. As I recall several units have a feature that allows them to be refrigerated and not frozen overnight. this would allow the ability to cold hold product overnight for use the next day. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a truck or trailer down because their machine can't keep up on a hot summer day. Then you have 45-60min before the next batch is ready.

I would seriously reconsider the soft-serve and go hand dipped. The upfront cost is much less. Takes a lot less power to the trailer and thus the generators are cheaper and easier to get as a quiet unit. And when it comes to storage you can store 3-5 times as much hard ice cream as soft. In the same square footage. We are even planning a fresh hard ice cream cookie trailer for when our kids get a little older for them to pay for their college. Cleaning is much easier, so is setup and transport and aside from the constant need for hand washing requiring larger than average water storage tanks wouldn't need much in the way of space.  
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 641
    Re: Ice Cream Trailer advice needed 2018/02/01 10:30:41 (permalink)
    post edited by Blakkmoon - 2018/02/02 22:14:58
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5