Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures

Author
colossk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
2018/03/06 15:18:11 (permalink)

Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures

I was looking at putting in a soft serve ice cream machine but then ran into the issues of the ambient temperature being to high for it to work properly. So I looked into the idea of hard ice cream but I am running into the same issues. When looking at ice cream dipping cabinets for hard ice cream and after talking to the techs for these companies they all say that they shouldn't operate past temps of 32 degrees Celsius which is 89 degrees Fahrenheit. They all say the compressor would be under heavy load and it won't work properly. My food truck can hit 102 degrees some days.

However I have freezers and refrigerators that work just fine under these conditions so I am left to wonder will they work fine like my other fridge/freezers do or not? Are these companies just covering their ass or should I be worried?

Does anyone have Ice cream in their trucks where the ambient temps get  that high? Do you have issues?

8 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3035
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/06 21:16:13 (permalink)
    Your right you should be worried. I don't know the answer to that. Have you checked into whats needed for the ice cream scoop water wash drain. They used to want a continuous water flow. That could be a problem having that much water on had to accomplish your needs......
    Blakkmoon
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/07 01:06:21 (permalink)
    So do you have a truck or trailer?
    If it's a truck, can you mount the ice cream machine in the drivers area?
    Can that be kept separated by a closed door / wall?
    Keeping it away from the kitchen heat....

If you could then make sure the ice cream machine is vented outside with a small fan to suck the heat out...
    Then maybe even run a portable air conditioner in that space.
    That area would only be about 25 cubic feet.
    It should be like a fridge in there.
    Even without insulation.
    colossk
    Junior Burger
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/07 01:43:56 (permalink)
    I have a trailer. I can not put in any outside venting due to the layout of the trailer and the location of the propane tanks. I have 4x 420 tanks and due to laws requiring tanks to be x feet away from windows and having to be behind the truck due to parking and traffic adding vents is not an option except for the roof.

Venting the roof won't give me much improvement in cooling the ambient air temp as I already have a huge hood fan sucking out hot air all day long above my fryers, grill etc.

As far as the ice cream scoop water drain, I either need A) continuous water flow which is not possible or B) a secondary drain that is always holding clean water on standby.

I'm tempted to just buy the hard ice cream dipping cabinet and take my chances. I can't see why it wouldn't work as I have 2x freezers and a prep table and a refrigerator in there already that work just fine. From what I have researched the ambient air operating temps are always underrated due to liability issues.

I'm just hoping to get more information before I take the plunge
    post edited by colossk - 2018/03/07 01:46:38
    RodBangkok
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 574
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/07 05:48:58 (permalink)
    I'd suggest, given you can't put the unit in a a/c environment is to use dry ice to supplement the cooling on those very hot days.
    colossk
    Junior Burger
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/07 20:19:23 (permalink)
    Does anyone think a dedicated stand up freezer would work? The one I am looking at has auto defrost which fluctuates the temperature more than manual defrost but if I buy a manual defrost freezer I have no wear to store 10 pails of ice cream when defrosting. Does the auto defrost temp fluctuation even matter that much?

Will I have issues with ice crystals forming on the ice cream? Will it be to hard to scoop?

Why do people buy dipping cabinets over a stand up freezer? Is it for display purposes only and ease of scooping or it there more to it?

The freezer I am looking at can hold 9x 11 litre pails of ice cream 3 per shelf. I would have to take the ice cream out of the freezer, scoop it and then return the pail back to the freezer or I could put the tub on the bottom shelf and scoop it with the freezer door open which would be quicker.

Anyone have any experience with a standup freezer and ice cream?
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2412
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/08 09:31:45 (permalink)
    The problem is the ambient temp of the 'inside' air and this also effects all refrigeration equipment in the truck/trailer.   Setup the equipment so it puller outside air over the coils ( not inside air).    If all the refrigeration equipment can set next to each other then this could be one large duct (may be with a fan) to service all the cooling coils.     This also would a long way in helping to low the inside temp of the truck.
    cavemaneats
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/03/08 17:42:17 (permalink)
    edwmax
    The problem is the ambient temp of the 'inside' air and this also effects all refrigeration equipment in the truck/trailer.   Setup the equipment so it puller outside air over the coils ( not inside air).    If all the refrigeration equipment can set next to each other then this could be one large duct (may be with a fan) to service all the cooling coils.     This also would a long way in helping to low the inside temp of the truck.

Absolutely, this will work if the outside temp isn't over the threshold. But you could look into vent fans on the side of the trailer next to the condenser coil. Or AC unit may also help but most of the issue has to do with the refresh rate for the unit. As you know most times its not possible to only one a freezer one time throughout the day so the constant opening and closing of the unit is killing your temp control. Plus you may not be able to have electricity for the unit overnight and these units are designed to remain on continuously. Having to turn them on each day will cut into your usage times as it can take about 45mis-6hrs for a unit to reach sub zero temperature.
    Good luck this is tough nut to crack.
    colossk
    Junior Burger
    Re: Ice cream problems and ambient temperatures 2018/05/08 23:47:20 (permalink)
    Update.

I said to hell with it and bought a stand up freezer that can hold 9x 11.4 litre tubs of ice cream. I figured if I have issues with ambient air temps, I'll just dump the ice cream and I could always use more freezer space.

A chest freezer would make it easier for scooping as ice cream can be stacked but if it failed due to ambient air I would regret not having  a stand up freezer and I could always change to a  chest freezer next year if I wanted to.

Stand up freezer was bought from Costco, works like a charm. No issues with ambient air temps whatsoever and it has hit 100 degrees twice so far this year.

For anyone considering hard ice cream, I would definitely recommend a stand up freezer. I do not know if a chest freezer would hold the temp as well as this one does
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5