Helpful ReplyHot!In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10365
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/02/26 10:47:51 (permalink)
That looks wonderful!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22983
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/02/27 17:49:00 (permalink)
Several years ago during my research on the existence of water buffalo in Italy (I posted that on Roadfood) I came upon some information that shed light on the spoon-no spoon controversy. It seems Marco Polo found that the use of spoons with spaghetti (of course the Chinese didn't call it spaghetti because Giada De Laurentiis hadn't come up with the term yet) was limited to the northern portions of the country. There, the spoon was used in conjunction with chopsticks. It seems that in southern portions of China the people didn't care whether they got Sunday Gravy on their clothes when eating spaghetti because they had lots of inexpensive laundromats around.

I'd be happy to repost the information on water buffalo in Italy for anyone who'd like to see it. By the way, it also explained how tomatoes came to be red.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4237
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/02/27 20:33:39 (permalink)

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 878
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/02/28 11:14:28 (permalink)
Ketteract
More carbonara! My friend's 5-year-old picked out the pasta types to be used.  Also, shaved parm this time. 

That does look fantastic.  I do well with red sauces, but I've struggled the couple times I tried to make carbonara. The timing of adding each ingredient has to be just right.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2690
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/03/02 10:52:52 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I'd be happy to repost the information on water buffalo in Italy for anyone who'd like to see it. By the way, it also explained how tomatoes came to be red.

I couldn't easily find it via the search function, and I don't remember it. I'd appreciate a re post.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/03/02 12:37:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby leethebard 2018/03/02 14:06:17
tmiles
Michael Hoffman

I couldn't easily find it via the search function, and I don't remember it. I'd appreciate a re post.

My pleasure. It was in response to a question about buffalo mozzarella.

Italian Water Buffaloes

Ah, well, I'm glad you asked. Italians got those water buffalo the hard way. You see, first they had to get water.
One day, an Italian backpacker walking east to west through a gap in the Apennine Mountains ran out of land and dicovered a sea. After checking carefully he was able to determine that the sea was filled with water. Astounded, he decided to go back to his village in central Italy to let people know that he had found this stuff called water.
Unfortunately, or fortunately, as it turned out, while crossing back through the Apennines a snowstorm caused him to lose his way. Being the sort of person who would never allow a simple blizzard to deter him from his goal, he fought his way on through the blinding storm that seriously hampered his vision and, lo and behold (as opposed to Po and behold, which is another valley), He found another sea, and it, too, turned out to be filled with water.
This was an astounding turn of events, because the people of Italy did not know that there was water anywhere near their seriously parched nation. The fact is, they'd never actually heard of water, and as they had grapes with which to make wine, they could not have cared less. This fact,of course, leads the astute person to wonder how the backpacking Italian would have known that the wet stuff he'd discovered was water. But that's another story.
When he tried to tell the people from his village that he had found water both to the west and to the east, he was vilified as not being a true beliver in dryness. In effect, the people of his village buffaloed him.
And that, of course, is how Italians ended up with water buffalo.
Your question about how tomatoes turned red is more difficult to answer. However, after a great deal of research I believe I have found the answer.
In 1627, November, I believe, An Italian maiden (yes there was one, but she was so embarrassed to still be a maiden at age 14 that she refused to give her name to the National Enquirer) decided to take her annual bath in the Tiber River.
Looking around and checking carefully to make certain that there were no prying eyes, she slipped into a field of green tomatoes next to the Tiber and proceeded to disrobe prior to entering the water. Everything was going well until she realized that she had left her Lava Soap on the bank.
The maiden, fully believing that she was alone, slipped from the river to retrieve her soap. As it turned out, however, the green tomatoes were paying attention, as green tomatoes are wont to do under certain circumstances.
The sudden appearance of the naked maiden did, unfortunately, cause one of the green tomato plants, a male plant, you understand, to experience a sudden state of distention, or turgidity, which so embarrassed this plant that it turned bright red.
The other tomato plants, seeing this effect, were mesmerized, and could not help but try to do the same.
So, the fact is, tomatoes turned red because of both embarrasment and penis envy.
I hope this has helped.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9645
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/03/02 14:06:41 (permalink)
Live and learn!! Love history!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/03/02 14:32:55 (permalink)

tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2690
Re: In appreciation of Italian / Italian-American food 2018/03/03 14:47:10 (permalink)

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5