Inconsistencies in local/regional chains

Author
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1072
2018/09/14 06:40:52 (permalink)

Inconsistencies in local/regional chains

Frankie's has a location at the Westfield Mall in Meriden.  They'd been good to me as far as burgers and hot dogs went, but one day, I decided to try their chicken Philly.  Here's what I got:

... diced chicken?  What?  And to make matters worse, it had that strange, too-easy-to-bite-through consistency that one gets from overprocessed meat.  I told a friend of mine who had been born and raised in Waterbury - they hadn't even known there was a Frankie's at the Meriden mall.  

For comparison, here is the chicken Philly that I got yesterday from their location on Reidville Drive in Waterbury:

That was more like it.  I suppose it's possible that they have some operational constraints in their mall space, but if that's the case, they should just omit the item from their menu altogether rather than offer a warped version of it.

So, I'm curious.  We all have our beloved local and regional chains, like Nardelli's, Portillo's, Skyline Chili, etc.  What are some compromises or inconsistencies like this that you've run into with them?

11 Replies Related Threads

JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 09:46:03 (permalink)
    Ketteract,

That first sandwich looks pretty disgusting. I do not want cubes of meat in my sandwich.

I've had "ballpark" Primanti Bros. sandwiches twice while attending games in Pittsburgh, but have never been to the original location. Both times the sandwiches were "food service" quality, and I did not understand why anyone would consider this a local treat and specialty. I think these local outfits put their names on outlets in high volume locations, then cut corners so the service can keep up with the high demand.

The Portillo's location near me in Wisconsin seems to be the same quality as the location I went to in Illinois.

Jim
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9587
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 10:23:36 (permalink)
    Is it possible sometimes a franchise buys the rights to a name or brand, and that's it..not recipes or menu???
    Wintahaba
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 16:23:36 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Is it possible sometimes a franchise buys the rights to a name or brand, and that's it..not recipes or menu???

No, Not unless they don't exist anymore.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8680
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 17:51:09 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    That first sandwich looks pretty disgusting. I do not want cubes of meat in my sandwich.

Somewhere in this vast, sprawling country there must be a region/county/back alley whose claim to fame is a cubed meat sandwich.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 17:56:00 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    JRPfeff

Somewhere in this vast, sprawling country there must be a region/county/back alley whose claim to fame is a cubed meat sandwich.

I don't want sliced Italian sausage on my pizza either - it's a Southern thing. Disgusting.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9587
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 18:25:35 (permalink)
    No sliced. Really? Crumbled instead?
    Ketteract
    • Total Posts : 1072
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 18:41:40 (permalink)

JRPfeff
    I've had "ballpark" Primanti Bros. sandwiches twice while attending games in Pittsburgh, but have never been to the original location. Both times the sandwiches were "food service" quality, and I did not understand why anyone would consider this a local treat and specialty. I think these local outfits put their names on outlets in high volume locations, then cut corners so the service can keep up with the high demand.

I suppose it's a business decision, balancing desire for revenue against the integrity of the brand itself. Locals would know better than to partake of a Primanti Bros. at that location; outsiders might try it, then, in the future, see the name in other parts of Pittsburgh, and choose to stop in based on recognition. Maybe I'm just a purist.

Portillo's is one that I tend to have faith in, from prior experience. They seem to be a class act.

JRPfeff
    I don't want sliced Italian sausage on my pizza either - it's a Southern thing. Disgusting.

Both Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, as well as tons of other pizzerias in Connecticut, do sliced sausage. I myself prefer the other kind, but I truly don't think sliced is a "Southern" thing.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 20:13:27 (permalink)
    leethebard
    No sliced. Really? Crumbled instead?

Yes. Crumbled or chunks. Slices turn my stomach.
    JRPfeff
    Sirloin
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 20:23:53 (permalink)
    Ketteract

Both Pepe's and Sally's in New Haven, as well as tons of other pizzerias in Connecticut, do sliced sausage. I myself prefer the other kind, but I truly don't think sliced is a "Southern" thing.

I have never been to Connecticut.

The first time I saw sausage slices on a pizza was in NC. Never saw it before, living from Pittsburgh to San Diego, and Minneapolis to Orlando.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4956
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/14 22:28:18 (permalink)
    There is a fantastic breakfast place here called Anna's House. Their original location is somewhere I go out of my way to eat on a regular basis. They've been expanding over the last few years with a few locations around town and also at least one in another city about an hour away. A couple of summers ago we were near one of the other locations in town, so I insisted we go because they have amazing food. It was... meh. Perfectly serviceable, but only maybe two steps above Denny's. Same thing happened at a couple other stores, so I went back to the original to see if they'd just changed. Nope! Still the excellent breakfast I remembered.

Finally figured it out. The original location has the original grill.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1209
    Re: Inconsistencies in local/regional chains 2018/09/17 12:27:50 (permalink)
    I think that's everywhere you go. TipTop Cafe in San Antonio was on Diners,Dives and Drive Inns with Guy Fierri. Well they opened another on in the former Checkers Diner on Nacogdoches and O'Connor in san Antonio. It was open for a while, but no where near as good as the original. Didn't last long, though the original on Fredricksburg Road is still here. Now this is a national chain, but the cracker Barrel on Ritterman Rd.  is i have heard not as good as a couple of other locations here in town.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5