Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes

Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1450
2017/10/19 12:05:05 (permalink)

Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes

Sad to hear that GT Souths has closed its doors. They were one of the better BBQ places in the Indy area and the BBQ scene will be worse off for their absence.

http://www.theindychannel...souths-abruptly-closes

7 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8632
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 10:58:51 (permalink)
    Any scuttlebutt as to why?  When terms like "abruptly" and "no reason given" are used it doesn't look particularly good...
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 11:35:24 (permalink)
    Haven't heard a thing. They just closed down. Probably a money issue, if I had to guess. They were never very crowded when I went there and Indy just doesn't have a good BBQ culture. People around here think Famous Dave's turns out good BBQ.
    IndianaPete
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 16:47:31 (permalink)
    While I heard good things about GT South's, I never went there, because I'm satisfied with my picks on my own side of town.  For God's sake, I HATE famous daves.

edit:  OK, for the record, Squealers on 86th, City BBQ on Rockville, Pit Stop on 136 in Brownsburg, and occasionally King Ribs.
    post edited by IndianaPete - 2017/10/21 16:51:03
    TravelingPan
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 18:26:31 (permalink)
    Squealers and Whisky river are the two Q joints everyone around here tells me to try because they're both so amazing...
    Amazingly below average IMO... Amazingly nasty... I'd rather eat that nasty "Dicks" bbq and they're the mcdonalds of Q. You're right about one thing, NO Q culture or even taste in Indy.
    On the other hand, for a commercial gig, City BBQ isn't terrible.
    TravelingPan
    Hamburger
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 18:37:17 (permalink)
    Now after 7 years touring the nation, sampling Q, I developed an amazing Hoosier style Q.... but you're going to have to wait ;)
    Cracked ribs with ApplQ sauce... mmmm
    [tube]https://youtu.be/9ucfbv6oTKY[/tube]

Root-Beer Man
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 18:46:15 (permalink)
    I've had City BBQ 'que. It's not bad for chain 'que, but we have some folks around the area that do a better job. South's was one of them. I was never a fan of Squealers, having had some of their meat at the annual BBQ cook off in Indy a few years back. Wasn't impressed. I do like Kings, but it's a bit far to go for takeout 'que. We do have one place in Westfield that turns out some good pulled pork, Big Hoffa's Smokehouse BBQ. They started off as a mobile operation, if I remember correctly, and transitioned to a small brick and mortar op. Their sides are no great shakes, but their meat is definitely good.
    TravelingPan
    Hamburger
    Re: Indianpolis' GT South's BBQ Closes 2017/10/21 20:19:34 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    I've had City BBQ 'que. It's not bad for chain 'que, but we have some folks around the area that do a better job. South's was one of them. I was never a fan of Squealers, having had some of their meat at the annual BBQ cook off in Indy a few years back. Wasn't impressed. I do like Kings, but it's a bit far to go for takeout 'que. We do have one place in Westfield that turns out some good pulled pork, Big Hoffa's Smokehouse BBQ. They started off as a mobile operation, if I remember correctly, and transitioned to a small brick and mortar op. Their sides are no great shakes, but their meat is definitely good.

There was a really good King Rib near my old shop at 16th and Tibbs, I used to get a pound of tips and grab a couple loafs of day old bread from the thrift store up at Lafayette for lunch at least once a week.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5