Helpful ReplyHot!Irritating things during your Restaurant visit!

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3109
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/08/15 07:24:23 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
pnwchef
lleechef
pnwchef
chewingthefat
Salt shakers where the humidity has gotten to the salt... put some rice in the shakers please!

I always found it easier to move to non humid areas. The Pacific Northwest thank you.

Yes!!!!!!!  Like Alaska!!!!!!!  It's not humid there!

Lisa, Salmon season is in full swing in Washington State. We hooked into two yesterday trolling for Walleye with 10# test line. One fight lasted 1/2 hour for one and the other 15 minutes. Needless to say the Salmon won. We will be ready for bear next time. Why don't you fly up to Alaska and have Michael drive. He should make it up there by his 100th Birthday. 

Ten pound test for walleyes? I've never heard of anyone going heavier than six pound, and I never go above four. By the way, when you troll are you using downriggers or planing boards?

Michael, we are trolling with a Bandit deep water crank bait rated for 27ft. In order to get that down we need to be back between 90 to 125 ft behind the boat. We troll in 20 to 30 ft of water. I hooked into a real big Walleye that broke my line. I figure it was 16 to 18 lbs. Have to run, it's a full moon and we are going out. Speaking of a full moon its good to see Tom back....
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 954
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/08/15 09:42:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/08/15 10:50:39
My current annoyance is places that come up with overly complicated menu structures and then have to go to a routine of "Can I explain to you how our menu works?"  or "Welcome to X, is this your first time?  Can I explain to you how this all works?"

It's a restaurant.  If it's not immediately clear how I order food and pay for it, you are screwing it up big time.

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 997
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/08/15 10:39:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby schlotz 2019/08/16 12:46:37
kaszeta
My current annoyance is places that come up with overly complicated menu structures and then have to go to a routine of "Can I explain to you how our menu works?"  or "Welcome to X, is this your first time?  Can I explain to you how this all works?"

It's a restaurant.  If it's not immediately clear how I order food and pay for it, you are screwing it up big time.

If you've ever been to a Cafe Zupas, you know this hell.

The first time I was there, I was picking up (take out) dinner for my husband and I, as well as lunch for the next day for both of us.  They threw me for a loop when rather than me just telling them what I wanted, they asked, "how many people are we getting food for tonight?" (or something to that effect).  They box up the items within your meal in boxes, so basically, they want to know how many boxes to set up.  It's kind of disorienting.

When I found out the place was founded by a couple of former software developers, it all made sense.  Nothing wrong with software developers, just the way their brain works is very different....
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/08/15 12:17:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby harleytexas 2019/09/20 23:42:13
Hearing as you leave, "Have a good one". Can't stand that, for some reason. I want to say, after my second cup of coffee every morning, I do!
JoyB
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/08/28 16:32:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby JRPfeff 2019/08/28 17:06:40
Having been a server/bartender many years of my life (got my degree at 40 when my kids were in high school and have not been a server/bartender in over 25 years now) most of the time it is the management that makes the staff introduce themselves by name. I know, annoying for staff as well. 
Turning the tables, customers (although they are paying) need to check themselves sometimes. 
1. Bringing children in that run amok and almost trip servers carrying heavy trays of hot food.
2. Waiting until you come all the way back from the bar with drinks for the rest of the table to tell me you want another one too.
3. Complaining about what YOU ordered when it isn't what you expected when I clearly described it and/or it was described in the menu. Then when we try to  make it right by getting something else, you say "No thanks, nothing else appeals to me" when you already ate half of the other meal. 
4. Blaming the server when your well done steak takes a long time!!!
5. Not tipping your server because we had to tell you that we are out of prime rib (or whatever food) when clearly we did not know this until we put in the order if the kitchen did not warn us it was running out. Blame the cooks! They are supposed to tell us when there are X number of orders left of something. We gave you free dessert and or cocktails to make up for this!
6. Biggest pet peeve of all is when you sit at the table for hours even though we asked you kindly to move to the bar due to backed up patrons and you just stare at me blankly! Then you leave a crappy tip. Ugh!

As a patron, I feel all of the above pain that you all do and I am really picky about service due to knowing how it should be! 
harleytexas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/08 21:40:57 (permalink)
Being asked as soon as I sit down what I want to drink, not knowing what they have and sometimes not having the drinks on the menu.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3109
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/09 06:42:04 (permalink)
When I first started in the restaurant business everything bothered me. After forty years nothing bothers me. I expect nothing and in most cases thats what I get. When I do get something thats not expected to the upside, I am pleasantly surprised. 
leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10391
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/09 10:22:18 (permalink)
pnwchef
When I first started in the restaurant business everything bothered me. After forty years nothing bothers me. I expect nothing and in most cases thats what I get. When I do get something thats not expected to the upside, I am pleasantly surprised. 

Yeah, that's life, in general, we learn over the decades!
lleechef
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/09 10:57:08 (permalink)
pnwchef

Me too.  When I first started, every order for a well done steak bothered me.  Then I thought, heck, they're paying for it...…….throw it in the oven for 20 mins. and forget about it.
Ghaz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 419
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/09 19:10:59 (permalink)
The thing that bothered me recently was when we were leaving Outback they were bussing a table near us and it looked like the diner had left near half of an uneaten porterhouse on the table.  What a waste  
Louis
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1345
Re: Irritating things during your Restaurant visit! 2019/11/10 10:31:15 (permalink)
I've found all the comments so far very amusing.  I guess the one that strikes my emotional chord is the waiter who pours your first cup of coffee in the morning and never returns.  After about five minutes after finishing my first cup, no matter where I am, I'll walk into the kitchen with my coffee empty cup and ask, "Can you guys fill this?"  After that second cup, I'm fit to live with.

I guess my other biggest restaurant peeve, next to children running around the restaurant like little monkeys looking for a crate of bananas, is music that is too loud.  I prefer none at all, and no television sets either.  I came to eat, not to be entertained.  But loud music in the morning, when you're trying to get rid of your daily morning headache, is where I draw the line and ask if they can turn it down a little.  I say, "If you have to have music, play it softly, please.  I don't need a floor show."

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5