Helpful ReplyHot!Italian entrees at old grocers / sandwich shops...

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
joerogo
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5105
Re: Italian entrees at old grocers / sandwich shops... 2017/10/12 15:53:35 (permalink)
Ketteract, That is one of my favorites!  I could eat that every day of the week!  Do they offer broccoli rabe also?   

Now, I don't want to start another sauce war  But, I find that cavatelli can be a little starchy and tacky.  I like when they add a splash of stock and a splash of pasta water to bring it all together.  
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8864
Re: Italian entrees at old grocers / sandwich shops... 2017/10/12 16:29:08 (permalink)
joerogo
Ketteract, That is one of my favorites!  I could eat that every day of the week!  Do they offer broccoli rabe also?   

Now, I don't want to start another sauce war  But, I find that cavatelli can be a little starchy and tacky.  I like when they add a splash of stock and a splash of pasta water to bring it all together.  

Great point Joe...a little added stock is a great additive in many "White" pasta dishes. We add a bit to linguine & clams also.
Ketteract
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1005
Re: Italian entrees at old grocers / sandwich shops... 2017/11/21 11:59:06 (permalink)
Ketteract

- Traditional/family, skewing older, and probably encompassing the broadest spectrum of customers

Thought I would contribute one from that category: Antonio's on Main Street in Manchester.  The place itself is newer, having only opened in 2009, but the folks running it have clearly been making food for a long time.

Homemade chicken and rice soup - perfect for a cold day.

Somewhat underwhelming garlic bread.  Many places don't toast the interior of the bread, I find.  Not sure what that's about.

Cheese ravioli and a properly giant meatball.  I admit that I thought of this thread when I saw how the sauce was applied to the pasta.

"He makes the meatballs himself - our recipe," I was told, "and they were just made this morning, so you picked a good day to come."

A satisfying old-school red-sauce meal.  

I was a little sad to see that I remained alone in the place after the only other customer left, while people piled into other, more modern establishments on Main Street, many of which I'd patronized myself.  (Lucky Taco I would recommend to anyone.)  I guess that's a familiar feeling to have, though, when one makes it one's business to find places like these.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8042
Re: Italian entrees at old grocers / sandwich shops... 2017/11/22 08:03:44 (permalink)
That's a nice-looking plate, although the glass of water seems a little out of place.  Where's the Chianti?

I don't mind untoasted garlic bread as long as the crust is good, the crumb is soft, and the butter is plentiful.

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5