Hot!Italian food in St. Louis Missouri?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Chocochipper
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2004/08/22 00:13:11 (permalink)

Italian food in St. Louis Missouri?

Hello! Wondering if anyone has a favorite Italian restorante in St. Louis? Would love to check out a couple next weekend. Thanks!

36 Replies Related Threads

rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 620
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 09:44:21 (permalink)

I've never been to St. Louis, but remember Joe Garagiola
    (and maybe Yogi Berra also) mentioning an area called "The Hill"
    where they always went to eat, so all the good Italian restaurants
    may be in that area....

And for dessert, Ted Drewes Frozen Custard
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 10:19:07 (permalink)
    There is a great old place on the Hill called Gian-Tony's. The food is wonderful and the prices are, too. A more upscale place, not on the Hill is Trattoria Marcella on Watson in South Saint Louis. It's not as old fashioned as Gian-Tony's, but very good.
    Both places are close enough to Ted Drewe's to save room for dessert there as rmcielwain said. Have fun!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 20:36:25 (permalink)
    Try this thread:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=780
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2352
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 22:14:21 (permalink)
    If there is such a thing as bad Italian food on The Hill, I've never found it. It doesn't really matter which place you choose, it's all good.
    zataar
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 22:51:19 (permalink)
    I have to disagree. There are some very bad places on the Hill. The last time I ate at Rigazzi's it was substandard. And Ameghetti Bakery was beyond bad. I don't know if those places are trying for the tourist trade or what, but they were not even acceptable.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/22 23:50:26 (permalink)
    I was trying to remember the name of a wonderful Italian restaurant on the hill I had dinner at about 8 years ago. Thanks zataar, it was Gian-Tony's. Hopefully it has only improved in the years that have passed. You can't go wrong there.
    Rick76
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/23 07:55:59 (permalink)
    My mother and some freinds ate at Rigazzi's recently and also had poor meals. Not one of them enjoyed the meals they ordered.

One of my favorite Italian restaurants is Cunetto's House of Pasta. It is located on The Hill. Enjoy St. Louis.
    zataar
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/24 10:34:57 (permalink)
    Glad to have prompted your memory, Berndog, isn't Gian-Tony's so good? Chocochipper, if you are on the Hill during the daytime, you may want to check out Missouri Bakery, Viviano's Market and Volpi Meats. If you're driving, take a cooler to take great things home with you.
    jraphs
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/24 17:44:05 (permalink)
    My top picks on the Hill are:
    Lorenzo's: inspiring, fresh italian. You won't find toasted ravioli or more traditional/bland dishes on the menu here, but everything is really tasty. They have a delicious homemade gnocchi. The owner is young and draws in a great mix of folks from all over town.
    Cunetto House of Pasta: the place to carb load. Huge portions of fresh pasta in every variety you can imagine. Eat family style and still have plenty of left overs. This is my favorite of the more traditional "red sauce Italian" places.
    You can't go wrong at most places, but I would recommend against Rigazzi's.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9867
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/24 18:29:13 (permalink)
    Do not, I repeat, do not go to Rigazzi's. They were definetely the most dissapointing stop on my ballpark trip last year. The toasted ravioli were just disgusting. The wheat beer they had on tap was pretty good. I had a great experience at both Mama Campisi and Lou Boccardi's both on the Hill. They both had excellent Toasted Ravioli and Mama Campisi also had a delicious antipasta salad.
    Chocochipper
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/29 21:37:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info! Can't wait to visit The Hill and check it out. The online menus caused drool. I was told by a coworker to check out Zia's on the Hill; has anyone tried it?

Taking a cooler is standard procedure for me. My hubby thinks me wanting to go to neighborhood groceries when we are out of town is too silly, but he always enjoys the rewards!
    rwarn17588
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/30 01:10:25 (permalink)
    Yes, I've been to Zia's, which is on The Hill, and it is excellent. I recommend the seafood ravioli covered with lemon-butter sauce and vegetables. The prices are moderate.

Rigazzi's is one of the favorites of my wife's, but I say: Feh. The only thing there of note are the "fishbowls" of beer.

Charlie Gitto's is also on The Hill, and it is excellent also. I once had a tomato-and-gorganzola salad that was a meal in itself. It's been a longtime dining hangout for former Dodgers manager Tommy LaSorda when he was in town for Cardinals games. Prices there are moderately high.

But I think a big treat is to go to Viviano's grocery on The Hill. As it says, "The smells are free." It's been there since the late 1940s, the staff is helpful, and the prices on Italian staples are excellent ($9 for a liter bottle of cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, for example). It makes its own Italian sausage and pasta. It has a nice deli where you can get ravioli salad and fresh mozzarella for a meal. Its pasta sauce is quite good, and I'm not easily impressed with the premade stuff. Viviano's is a St. Louis institution, even.

It's also online: www.shopviviano.com
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/30 14:21:34 (permalink)
    Italian food in St. Louis? Where to begin. Well, actually, that's obvious... on The Hill. Some notable places on The Hill in no particular order: Gian-Tony, Leonardo's, Lorenzo's, Zia's, Dominic's (jacket required), Charlie Gitto's (LA Dodger Tommy Lasorda's favorite "I don't get full, my arms get tired"), Bartolino's, Adriana's (sandwiches), and Cunetto's. Cunetto's is mostly famous as it's the only place suburbanites know. Downtown you can find Tony's (Big $), Kemoll's, and Gitto's Downtown. Slightly off The Hill on Watson, you'll find LoRusso's and Trattoria Marcella. While on The Hill be sure to visit Viviano's grocery, Volpi Foods for fine Italian meats, or Missouri Baking. My favorite right now would be Trattoria Marcella. You'll need reservations on the weekend.
    jim & rosie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/30 15:44:07 (permalink)
    rigizzi's great fishbowl cold cold beer. food not so good. most any where else on "the hill" is very good. enjoy.
    stogba
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2004/08/30 22:00:26 (permalink)
    My favorite place on the hill is Leonardo's Little Italy. They have their own web site by the same name and have coupons where you can get your first entree free. Very good food and service. They also send you a free meal ticket for your birthday (up to $18.00) They just celebrated their 4th anniversary and do not have the name established like others but its my favorite!
    Extreme Glow
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 718
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2005/02/10 17:53:04 (permalink)
    Leonardo's Little Italy has closed. Unfortunately, Riggazi's is still open. For some really thick, tasty pizza, try Pizzeria della Piazza on The Hill (Hereford and Daggett). The Hill is also home to (strangely) an excellent Spanish tapas restaurant, Modesto.
    carmelskitchen
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2005/09/13 22:17:45 (permalink)

A list of Italian food stores in St. Louis should include our favorite Urzi's, an out of the way friendly place that will satisfy every craving you have. On Southwest Ave., just west of Macklind, Joe and Linda Urzi provide fresh meats, breads, cheeses, spices, homemade salsicca, olive salad (visit on Thursday, when they make it!) also fresh vegetables including hard to find items. We love the relaxed attitude, or lack of attitude, I should say, that Joe and Linda share as we shop. Apparently, Joe takes his business very seriously, as he grows his own organic herbs and spices and packages them himself. Did I mention the homemade Mozzarella cheese? There are not too many places like this left in St. Louis, and hopefully, one or all of Joe's six children will follow in his footsteps.
    hillgurl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/07/06 19:11:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VSMigneco

A list of Italian food stores in St. Louis should include our favorite Urzi's, an out of the way friendly place that will satisfy every craving you have. On Southwest Ave., just west of Macklind, Joe and Linda Urzi provide fresh meats, breads, cheeses, spices, homemade salsicca, olive salad (visit on Thursday, when they make it!) also fresh vegetables including hard to find items. We love the relaxed attitude, or lack of attitude, I should say, that Joe and Linda share as we shop. Apparently, Joe takes his business very seriously, as he grows his own organic herbs and spices and packages them himself. Did I mention the homemade Mozzarella cheese? There are not too many places like this left in St. Louis, and hopefully, one or all of Joe's six children will follow in his footsteps.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU THAT STORE WORKS WONDERS ON THERE FOOD

ITS SOOO YUMMY AND ITS FAMILY FRIENDLY
    I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING TO URZIS FOR THERE ITALIAN SAUSAGE

THEY MAKE IT FRESH ON WENSDAYS AND FRIDAYS
    AND YOU HAVE TO TRY THERE AMAZING ITALIAN SEASONING
    ITS ONE OF A FIND AND GREAT!

ASK FOR DIANE OR ROSA URZI
    THERE SOO SWEET
    CpSpalding
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/07/06 22:55:56 (permalink)
    St. Louis is a great town for Italian food. Go to the Hill and pick. My favorite is Zia's, but you really can't go wrong.
    Mister F.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/07/24 18:40:12 (permalink)
    We recently ate at Cunetto's. It was absolutely delicious. If you go, you must get the Cunetto salad. My wife and I have eaten everywhere and I can say that this salad is one of the best I've put in my mouth. Also, the pasta dishes were near-perfect; the linguine with anchovies, garlic, capers, and olive oil came out steaming hot, and was perfectly seasoned. The red sauce on the spaghetti was simple and good, redolent of garlic and basil; and you must start with the marinated olives - garlicky and vinegary. My son had sauted sole; it was cooked just to point of being done and was covered with rich crabmeat in a bechamel, and was as big as a man-hole cover. Plus, you get a glass of wine with dinner, on the house. I highly recommend it.
    germancook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/08/13 15:04:14 (permalink)

Zataar,I disagree with you .Amighetti's on the Hill has the best sandwiches.It is a St.Louis institution,like Ted Drews.
    carmelskitchen
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/09/05 22:32:41 (permalink)

Perhaps you all heard the news that Joe Urzi passed away last Thursday. A sad bit of news for all his customers, family and friends. Joe and I are distant cousins on both his father's and his mother's side. At Calcaterra's I was told that Linda Urzi and the kids will carry on the tradition that Joe's father began. He began about fifty years ago at the old Urzi's Blue Ridge Market, down the street from the present location on Southwest Ave., next door to Lou Boccardi's. Our family and friends will continue to visit the store whenever we can. Try to spread the word on the Hill and everywhere else. Linda and the kids will appreciate your business.
    You will all enjoy their incredible foods.
    St. Louis Browns fan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/09/06 09:51:17 (permalink)
    The Hill is my favorite ethnic neighborhood in America, and not just for the food. Most of the houses were built before 1940, and the area is immaculately maintained. It's a real, old-fashioned working stiff's neighborhood and not a yuppie enclave.

Cunetto's is one of the great pasta places in America, and the prices are very reasonable. Bartolino's is another fine choice. Whoever dissed Amighetti's must have had a rare bad experience there. My teenage daughter raves about it. Amighetti's subs are vastly superior to the chains.
    Big Sausage
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/09/06 10:03:29 (permalink)
    Try the all you can eat soup and salad at the Olive Garden, down town location. As an bonus they will include the bread sticks.

Robin Hood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/09/06 13:49:38 (permalink)
    Going to St. Louis and eating at the Olive Garden is kind of like going to New York City and eating at Applebees. Don't do it.

The advice on most of these posts is right on. The Hill, while not the dining destination it once was in its prime, is still full of many excellent options for Italian food. Cunetto's and Zia's are good choices for affordable fare, and Charlie Gitto's, Dominics, and Giovanni's are the places to go when you want to blow the budget. Adriana's is a great little sicilian sandwich shop which also sells a few pastas and good pizza. It is counter service and seat yourself. For a total Roadfood experience go to Gioia's and get a hot salami sandwich with everything on it. If the Italians had an equivalent to a white castle burger, this would be it. It is a great sandwich! Viviano's and Urzi's, are both great little Italian grocery stores, and there is one more that I am forgetting. Also, make sure to go to Volpi's for some of the best salami, sorpressata, pepperoni, and other salumi that you will ever eat. All of it is made right on the premises and free samples are available.
    Missouri Baking Company is the place to for all kinds of Italian pastries.
    carmelskitchen
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/12/28 06:33:55 (permalink)
    quote:

A list of Italian food stores in St. Louis should include our favorite Urzi's, an out of the way friendly place that will satisfy every craving you have. On Southwest Ave., just west of Macklind, Joe and Diane Urzi provide fresh meats, breads, cheeses, spices, homemade salsicca, olive salad (visit on Thursday, when they make it!) also fresh vegetables including hard to find items. We love the relaxed attitude, or lack of attitude, I should say, that Joe and Diane share as we shop. Apparently, Joe takes his business very seriously, as he grows his own organic herbs and spices and packages them himself. Did I mention the homemade Mozzarella cheese? There are not too many places like this left in St. Louis, and hopefully, one or all of Joe and Diane's children (and future grandchildren, for that matter) will follow in their footsteps.
    carmelskitchen
    Junior Burger
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2006/12/28 12:25:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hillgurl

quote:

A list of Italian food stores in St. Louis should include our favorite Urzi's, an out of the way friendly place that will satisfy every craving you have. On Southwest Ave., just west of Macklind, Joe and Diane Urzi provide fresh meats, breads, cheeses, spices, homemade salsicca, olive salad (visit on Thursday, when they make it!) also fresh vegetables including hard to find items. We love the relaxed attitude, or lack of attitude, I should say, that Joe and Diane share as we shop. Apparently, they take their business very seriously, as they grows their own organic herbs and spices and packages it themselves. Did I mention the homemade salsicca and Mozzarella cheese? Unlike any you have ever tasted. There are not too many places like this left in St. Louis.

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU THAT STORE WORKS WONDERS ON THERE FOOD

ITS SOOO YUMMY AND ITS FAMILY FRIENDLY
    I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING TO URZIS FOR THERE ITALIAN SAUSAGE

THEY MAKE IT FRESH ON WENSDAYS AND FRIDAYS
    AND YOU HAVE TO TRY THERE AMAZING ITALIAN SEASONING
    ITS ONE OF A FIND AND GREAT!

ASK FOR DIANE OR ROSA URZI
    THERE SOO SWEET

The Mikado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2007/06/12 18:42:36 (permalink)
    Missouri Bakery, Viviano’s Market, Mama Campisi’s, Bartolino’s, Di Gregorio’s, and Cunetto’s...with pizza at Pizzeria della Piazza!

If you hit all of them up, you’re doing good (yet there’s more to go!). And yes, although I have never had a full meal I haven’t liked on the Hill, I’ve had some VERY lousy pizza. PdP makes up for that, so go there and see why.
    The Mikado
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: Italian food in St. Louis Missouri? 2007/06/12 18:44:34 (permalink)
    Sorry, I forgot Urzi's. I have trouble with all these names!

I remember they had really good spice mixes, a good deli area, lemon ice, and oddly enough, Diet Sun-Drop! Given I've never seen that outside of only certain areas of the Southeast, I have to attribute that to the Huntsville-St. Louis connection...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5