It's Fish Sandwich Time Again

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ShenB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2007/02/22 22:49:50 (permalink)

It's Fish Sandwich Time Again

Now that Lent is here seems like every fast food outlet digs out a fish sandwich to keep their Friday sales up.

Hopefully the franchises that don't offer fish year-round (Arby's, Wendy's, Etc) have a fresh stock of fish patty's and aren't using stock left over from last year after Good Friday has passed.

Whats the consensus for your favorite fish on a bun and what do you like on it?

Mine is the B-K "Whaler" and I usually ask the confused counter person to add pickles & a little onion as I enjoy a treat that I remember costing a mere 49 cents in my H.S. days when I could easily polish off 2 at a meal. Those days are gone

Also loved the Burger Chef "Skipper's Treat" which had the best tarter sauce (same sauce they put on their signature triple-decker "Big Shef"

42 Replies Related Threads

soozycue520
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/22 23:33:32 (permalink)
    For a chain, I like Frisch's Big Boy's fish sandwich, with Frisch's dill pickle based tarter sauce. When I was younger, I remember it being much bigger than it is now, though.

I was at Frisch's , in Cheviot {West Side of Cincinnati}, yesterday {Ash Wednesday}, and the place was PACKED, at a little before 5pm. By the time we left, there was a line going out the door. And, probably 80% {or more} of the people I saw were having fish.

{{I had my grandchildren, and let my grandson pick where he wanted to go. Both of the grandkids love the soup, salad and fruit bar. They think it's way cool to pick whatever they want to eat.}}

And, speaking of Cincinnati, and fish, the Filet=O=Fish was invented here!!

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070219/LIFE01/702190301/1086/LIFE
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/22 23:48:36 (permalink)
    Soozy - Did you get my note that you can purchase pint size jars of Frisch's Tarter Sauce at Meijer stores around here and probably by you too?
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1042
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 00:35:17 (permalink)
    ShenB~

Yes, I did. Sorry I didn't reply, but I keep a small jar of Frisch's tarter in my fridge. They have it at every grocery store here in Cincy, as well as at any Frisch's restaurant. YUM!!

I'm not always thrilled with the quality of Frisch's {each one's quality is different}, but I can always use the tarter sauce on my burgers or fish at home.

When I go to dinner with my daughter {and grandkids}, she will drag me all the way across town to the one in Cheviot, because the food quality is much better.

OK ~ Sorry to hijack the thread ~ back to FISH SANDWICHES!!
    PepperPhil
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 02:05:38 (permalink)
    I'll give a vote for the new fish sandwich at Arby's.... it ain't that darn bad at all....
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1337
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 09:19:47 (permalink)
    I like the ones at Wendy's and Frisch's. I thought the one at Arby's was ok, but the lettuce on it was jsut a if piece of wilted romaine that was not good. For some reason on fish I prefer iceberg lettuce.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 12:57:29 (permalink)
    I tried the Arby's fish today and thought it was pretty good. Nice crunch, it's shaped like an actual filet of fish so it sticks out of the bun on 2 ends. I had them hold the lettuce and tomato and it came with a nice amount of a tangy tarter sauce.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8576
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 13:54:52 (permalink)
    I like Culver's cod filet, and it's available as either a sandwich or as a plate meal. And according to http://www.culvers.com walleye is currently on the menu as well.

Brad
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 18:44:18 (permalink)
    the arby's fish is pretty good, probably the best fast-food fish in the northwest and currently on-sale 2 sandwiches for $4. second in line is probably the sandwich from a local seafood chain called skipper's, much like the arby's but i think the fish is better :) jack-in-the-box has a sandwich made with 2 pieces of their regular fish-n-chips processed/molded fish, it's really greasy battered stuff.. but it's popular at $1.29
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13882
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/23 19:00:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

I like Culver's cod filet, and it's available as either a sandwich or as a plate meal. And according to http://www.culvers.com walleye is currently on the menu as well.

Brad

I sure do enjoy the Culvers Cod but what I like best is their walleye when they have it. It is super.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1206
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/26 17:20:50 (permalink)
    Haven't tried the Wendy's fish sandwich yet.Church's Chicken is offering one for Lent.Also,Taco Cabana here in my area has shrimp tacos and quesadillas.They have Taco Cabana in other places besides San Antonio and Texas,but not sure where.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/27 00:51:36 (permalink)
    McDonald's fish sandwich reminds me of the school lunch fish candwiches they sold at lent in NY public schools. I guess that's why I'm tempted to try one, yet again, this year. Except, now they only use 1/2 slice of cheese
    anyway. Fridays are also good for crustaceans, tomato bisque, potato (or the potato bacon soup recipe in another thread I'm definitely going to try), split pea soup, oysters, fried haddock (my alltime favorite Lenten dish - what I wouldn't give to go to Skaneateles for some Doug's Fish Fry) Maryland Crab, ...the list is endless. I've contemplated going meatless Fridays all year. Lent is just too short!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5070
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/27 19:19:18 (permalink)
    The "original" fish filet sandwich from McDonald's only had 1/2 slice of cheese to begin with (circa pre 1982 or so). Back then they used Cod. Now they use Pollock. Back then, they were really good. Cod vs. Pollock is like comparing a Porche to a Ford Pinto.
    sonjaab
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/02/28 23:42:32 (permalink)
    SCORE.....Was at Dougs in Liverpool last Friday !!!!!
    Real haddock ! You do know they have locations in
    Liverpool (actually rt.57 and 31 near Great Northern
    Mall in a old Hardees bld.), Mattydale, and Cortland !

Now just hangin' at my Daytona place ready for bike week
    action!..........geo
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/01 09:49:51 (permalink)
    I think the Doug's Fish Fry in Mattydale is closed. But they're opening one in Fairmount.
    Did you know that on their website they have a roadfood link?!
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4934
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/01 20:39:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Fridays are also good for crustaceans, tomato bisque, potato (or the potato bacon soup recipe in another thread I'm definitely going to try

I'm pretty sure I remember bacon counting as "meat" on Fridays. It's been a while, though, so I could very well be wrong.

Mom says the Arby's fish is pretty good, but I'm simply not tempted. Of course, I gave up fast food and eating after midnight for Lent, so I guess that makes sense.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7501
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/01 23:00:49 (permalink)
    BK Big Fish -
    LJS Flounder -
    White Castle -
    Frisch's - They have gotten expensive and smaller
    MCD - Grade school fish
    Wendy's -
    Arby's - (if fresh & hot)
    KFC - those fish snacker aren't too bad

Those are the ones in my area
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/02 19:19:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by felix4067

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

Fridays are also good for crustaceans, tomato bisque, potato (or the potato bacon soup recipe in another thread I'm definitely going to try

I'm pretty sure I remember bacon counting as "meat" on Fridays. It's been a while, though, so I could very well be wrong.

Mom says the Arby's fish is pretty good, but I'm simply not tempted. Of course, I gave up fast food and eating after midnight for Lent, so I guess that makes sense.

DOH!!!!! bacon LOL. Thank GOD I didn't make that for Friday.
    Fish fry and veggies soups have been on the docket so far.Crab and shrimp tonight.
    (I dunno what I was thinking)
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4934
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/02 19:49:34 (permalink)
    Don't feel bad...I made corned beef and cabbage, and didn't realize it was Friday until I sat down just now after cleaning up.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22926
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/02 19:54:12 (permalink)
    I sometimes enjoy the Burger King fish sandwich, but I always order the spicy version. But for an absolutely fantastic fish sandwich my favorite is served at Flanders Fish Market in Flanders, which is in Old Lyme, Connecticut.
    startrooper00
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/03 01:21:11 (permalink)
    Oh..wow...Flanders Fish Market...I remember that place from a while back in my travels.... The memories!!!!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/05 00:39:38 (permalink)
    I had the Arby's tonight for dinner, it was really good. I'll be getting some more.

MikeS.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/05 07:39:09 (permalink)
    This post makes me laugh about my recent mistake of going to McD's for a filet o "fish". It was more like filet o'bun.

I live smack in the middle of Canada, far removed from any Ocean and any decent fish sandwich. Options are Burger King, McDonalds and possibly Joey's Only-going to check on that one. I wish Wendys or Arbys had a fish sandwich here.

I think the recent good experience with the BK Fish tempted me to check out the other "option". So, I went through the Drive thru.

It was night time so I didn't get a good look at my sandwich, just bit into a mouthfull of bun-y goodness. My immediate reaction was a sigh-"those idiots forgot to put the patty on the sandwich". Just before wheeling around to go back, I whip open the bun only to see an untouched 2"x2" 'fish' square.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/05 19:56:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salsailsa

This post makes me laugh about my recent mistake of going to McD's for a filet o "fish". It was more like filet o'bun.

I live smack in the middle of Canada, far removed from any Ocean and any decent fish sandwich. Options are Burger King, McDonalds and possibly Joey's Only-going to check on that one. I wish Wendys or Arbys had a fish sandwich here.

I think the recent good experience with the BK Fish tempted me to check out the other "option". So, I went through the Drive thru.

It was night time so I didn't get a good look at my sandwich, just bit into a mouthfull of bun-y goodness. My immediate reaction was a sigh-"those idiots forgot to put the patty on the sandwich". Just before wheeling around to go back, I whip open the bun only to see an untouched 2"x2" 'fish' square.

I would have taken it back, anyway, unless it cost only about 49 cents...
    FlippyTheRed
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/05 20:44:25 (permalink)
    It gets a little weird this time of year. I'm looking forward to trying KFC's Popcorn Matzoh.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/06 10:07:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by FlippyTheRed

It gets a little weird this time of year. I'm looking forward to trying KFC's Popcorn Matzoh.

When I lived in NYC I often thought I could make a fortune selling MatzoTacos.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/06 19:27:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

I had the Arby's tonight for dinner, it was really good. I'll be getting some more.

MikeS.

Well, after hearing the good things about the Arby's Fish Sandwiches, the two types of tartar sauce (Cajun & regular), & especially the 2 for $4.00 special, I went there for lunch today in my area. As it seems, the Arby's I attempted to patronize had no idea of the special. For one sandwich alone (nothing else), they wanted $2.99 plus tax. Before I left, I asked them what kind of fish the filet was made from. Again they had no idea. 'Nuff said. I thanked them & promptly vacated the premises. Had some nice RB&R from Popeye's right across the street along with a few Jalapenos. No harm done, except another reason for me to avoid Arby's for yet another year or three.

Yankeesfan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 155
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/08 11:38:25 (permalink)
    Adjudicator, thank you for explaining why the McDonald's fish sandwiches are not as good as they were back in my childhood (different kind of fish). My parents would take us to McDonald's on Saturday nights in warm weather -- there were no seats in the restaurant, we would tailgate in the parking lot since everyone with kids had a station-wagon then. My grandmother and I would order the fish sandwiches even though it was neither Friday nor Lent, just because they tasted so good.

Now I like Arthur Treacher's. There are not too many of them around, which is probably a good thing health-wise since their yummy stuff is all fried. One Wednesday a month I am near one at lunchtime and indulge then (but last time I bought a child-size meal which was still very filling). Last year I went there on a Friday during Lent and it was more crowded than usual. It would be interesting to find out whether their sales increase this time of year.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5635
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2007/03/12 00:00:11 (permalink)
    My youngest works at an Arby's now. I'm trying to get her to see if she can buy me a bag of their fish at cost. I really like that fish filet. Matter of fact I have 2 sandwiches for lunch about 3am.

MikeS.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8576
    RE: It's Fish Sandwich Time Again 2015/03/20 12:23:21 (permalink)
    I wonder if McDonald's and Burger King have considered having their fish sandwiches available for breakfast during Lent.  I believe some BKs have burgers and fries during breakfast hours so it seems like it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for them, but I don't know how much such a change would impact McD's breakfast processes.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5