JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help!

Author
Regina94
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/03/09 15:17:01 (permalink)

JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help!

Hello,

I am a recent college grad and decided to become a business owner by starting my own food truck business. I am starting up a taco/tamale trailer that will serve chicken tamales, and steak and chicken tacos. I plan to precook all of the food in advance and keep the meat, chicken and tamales warm in crock pots. Do you guys think this is a solid idea? 

I am located in Michigan, but purcharsed a brand new, custom built concession trailer in Georgia at a good pirce. 
I'll attach pictures for you all to see.

However, I have few to no knowledge on how to build up the trailer in order to meet the needs to be a proper concession trailer. 
I have been reading many of these forums but still have some questions:

1. What is the best way to install a hand sink into my trailer? (this is the thing I lack the most knowledge about)
     -What are all the parts needed to have a fully workable sink?
     -Would it be best to hire a plumber to help me out?
2. How long would you say it takes to have everything installed and set up once I pick up the trailer?
3. Where can I purchase a proper glass window to install in the concession window of my trailer for a cheap price?
4. What is a proper generator to get if I have six outlets, and where is the best place to purchase it? 
5. Can anyone tell me where is a good place to get used prep refrigerators? 

ALSO: If anyone that reads this is from Southeast Michigan, do you know any available and cheap kitchen commissaries?

8 Replies Related Threads

kreativekvs209
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/09 15:57:32 (permalink)
    your pictures didn't show.. you may not have enough post count to post pictures yet.

first thing first... if you already bought a trailer, you need to check with your local health department for specific regulations. it would probably be wiser to check with the HD  first before purchasing something you'll have to blow another 20k into just to make it " up to code " especially if your buying from out of state. which every stat. county. city. will almost definitely  have different code and regulations. ( true story.... my friend bought a " fully built " " ready t go " food truck in oregon for about 40k. and found out that it wouldn't pass HD inpsection here in ca. and had to put about another additional 10k for new flooring and ansil system just to get it "legal".

most HD would like you to cook the food in the truck/trailer if not at the commissaries .  preping, cooking anything at home is almost forbidden all over the united states ( correct me if i'm wrong )

if you visit home depot you can find the plumbing guy. and bombard him with questions until you yourself is a professional plumber. ( but do you have a 3 compartment sink? ) if so then you can just tie your plumbing to/from that.

build time is totally up to your skill level in how handy you are with your hands.

with the genny.. you may have to talk to your building inspector to see if you'll need to run it through a breaker box and hire an electrician.  the genny itself will all be base of how many ohms, volts, and watts you'll need according to all the appliance you'll be running. so do yourself a favor and do a little spread sheet with all that info. add up all the numbers and that will dictate your decision on a good generator. you should also take into consideration that a generator will be loud and placement should be well considered.

i've also found that some state/county are very strict on window and how they are made. while others dont even care if you have them at all. you will have to ask your H.D. that question.

there are acouple of really good build threads here that could cover most of your questions. ( reading is fundamental ) if you would  like i can link a thread or two on here.

i'm pretty sure everyone here would tell you the same thing... make your health department / inspector your best friend and you should be alright.
    Regina94
    Junior Burger
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/10 09:55:25 (permalink)
    I think that may be the reason for why the pictures did not show then. 

You can find the pictures online at:

When you look at the pictures you can see it is a trailer that is built to work as a concession trailer with a conecession window and all, but the inside is compeltely bare. Therefore I have a lot of work to do in order to make it meet the HD standards for approval. 

Thank you Kreativekvs209 for your reply! It truly was very helpful. 
    I hired an attorney to help me with my Plan Review for the Health Deparment and he has also been guiding me in the proper responses to fill out on the Plan Review Application. However, his billing is not cheap and I still have several unanswered questions. 

Yes, for sure I know I would not cook at home. I'm in the process of finding a commissary but man, they are hard to find! And the ones that I do find are expensive! If anyone here has any ideas on finding a cheap one please let me know!

If you wouldn't mind linking a couple of previous threads on here I would certainly appreciate it! 

Also, does anyone know if you are REQUIRED to have a three sink on your trailer? Or is that also depending on your individual HD? 

THANK YOU AGAIN VERY MUCH!
    Regina94
    Junior Burger
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/10 09:55:48 (permalink)
    website did not work again.

if you go to colony cargo . com and look up concession trailers and then the 7feet ones, than it will be model 539A.
    post edited by Regina94 - 2017/03/10 09:57:50
    Blakkmoon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/10 20:28:26 (permalink)
    What Kreativekvs209 said 

Spend a couple of days reading every build thread you can find on here.
    Get your rules and regs from your local HD, Fire Inspector and anyone else who may be involved in the licensing and inspecting of your rig.
    Will you be crossing any lines? City? County? State?  It all matters.
    What will you be selling??  That alone will determine your equipment and layout, as well as what rules apply to you.

It can all get very frustrating.  Just read my build thread...

Have a baseball bat and a tree stump close by....

Are YOU building it? or having it done for you??

Remember to smile....and ....breathe.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11885
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/10 22:55:06 (permalink)
    You put the cart before the horse.
    Buying a trailer before you know anything about the mobile food business is like buying a gun without bullets. What good is it?
    Blakkmoon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 261
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/10 23:38:56 (permalink)
    I personally tend to make a sh-- load of mistakes.
    I seem to learn a LOT from each one them.

Yeah sure may a little bit of a jumped the gun thing.
    But - from personal experience - way better to start out with a good base unit and then do what you want.
    Rather than buy something that you are going to need to change a bunch of stuff later and have to rip out a bunch of stuff. 

So now they just need to slow down a little bit.

And BTW - you can do a LOT of things with an empty gun.
    If you are the only one who knows there are no bullets.
    kreativekvs209
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/15 00:58:42 (permalink)
    you can check out THIS THREAD just about the jist of it.
    Regina94
    Junior Burger
    Re: JUST BOUGHT 7x12 CONCESSION TRAILER, Please Help! 2017/03/23 18:40:02 (permalink)
    Thank you everyone for the support and advice. Appreciate it greatly

Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5