Hot!Joella's Hot Chicken

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9198
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 14:15:57 (permalink)
mar52
Oh Don't worry about us Cali folk.  No gun!   (It's not that I never had one!!!)

VALUE!  Value and taste.  That's the thing.  You won't go broke and the In N Out burger does taste good.  Their fries and shakes don't. 

The last time I bought an In N Out burger was in April of 2017 in Thousand Palms, California.  It was late, nothing else was open and it met the job.

Before that was November of 2016 in Hesperia, California.  I was on the road home and it was next to the gas station.  Convenience sometimes is part of the equation.

I have an In N Out less than two miles from home.  I've only been there once.  It shares the parking lot with our Costco.  I much prefer a Kirkland Hot Dog.

I believe they both share the value, taste and convenience factors.

Then there's the comfort of consistency.  You know what you're going to get before getting it.

Kirkland hotdogs are a good price, but not near as tasty at all as the Hebrew National franks they replaced, and while I've only enjoyed In N Out when I visit family in California,. I'll gladly take them over the Costco dog. That said,. Costco is expementing in some locations, I've seen, with hamburgers. Wonder what that would taste like?
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11704
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 14:37:12 (permalink)
Don't know about the Costco hamburgers but ours now has chili and it's very good.

Back to Joellas...
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9198
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 15:40:43 (permalink)
mar52
Don't know about the Costco hamburgers but ours now has chili and it's very good.

Back to Joellas...

Still waiting for that chili here!
MetroplexJim
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6856
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/03 07:55:48 (permalink)
mar52

Back to Joellas...

While waiting patiently here in Dallas for some Joella's hot chicken and a cold Coors Light I had a bacon cheeseburger at Sam's Club.

What I bought at noon had, evidently, been prepped a few hours earlier and waited patiently for me in a warming tray.

Had it been served fresh off the flat-top, the ingredients would present a wonderful value. 

By the same token, if the STEELERS defense had held the Jags to fewer than 42 points I'd be watching the Super Bowl tomorrow.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8293
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/03 08:06:23 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
ScreamingChicken
A cold Coors or similar beer would be good with hot chicken, though.  Too bad Joella's doesn't have a license for beer and wine.

Oh, contraire! My local Joella's does indeed have a beer license and serves up many a good local microbrew to go with their fine, hot chicken. It's not just premium Sodas that you get, you get premium beer, too.

Good deal!  Alcohol isn't listed on the Joella's website so I wonder if its availability varies by store.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1341
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/03 11:20:15 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Root-Beer Man
ScreamingChicken
A cold Coors or similar beer would be good with hot chicken, though.  Too bad Joella's doesn't have a license for beer and wine.

Oh, contraire! My local Joella's does indeed have a beer license and serves up many a good local microbrew to go with their fine, hot chicken. It's not just premium Sodas that you get, you get premium beer, too.

Good deal!  Alcohol isn't listed on the Joella's website so I wonder if its availability varies by store.

I couldn't say, as I have only my local one to compare to. It would not surprise me to see that others have also got beer on the menu. They are tilted towards local brews so it probably varies by location.
TJ Jackson
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5416
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/11 15:42:25 (permalink)
I hope Bonk is reading this :-)

Made it Joellas this weekend, finally

The chicken looked almost exactly as it does in Rootbeer Man's pic, up to and including the single pickle slice attached via toothpick on top.  The potato salad also looked identical to that shown in his pics

Overall, we thought it was pretty good, good enough that we'd consider revisiting if we were in the area but not for special trip down there just for this.  I wish I had gone with the second lowest spice level rather than the third lowest - Ellas Fave - as it was a bit beyond my limited tolerance level, but I liked the crispness of the skin and the moistness of the chicken. 

Not a fan of the mac and cheese, which was actually shells and cheese.  Very dry.

I liked getting to sample all the Boylan's on tap

Quality aside - I thought 9 dollars was a bit much for two pieces of chicken and a side at a counter service joint. 

To that point - you can get the 9 dollar plate for 5 bucks if you checkin with Yelp while you're at the register.
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2018/02/12 10:01:07
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/12 09:38:24 (permalink)
leethebard
mar52

Back to Joellas...

Still waiting for that chili here!

Still waiting for a Costco here!
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 854
Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/15 14:45:47 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
I hope Bonk is reading this :-)

Made it Joellas this weekend, finally

The chicken looked almost exactly as it does in Rootbeer Man's pic, up to and including the single pickle slice attached via toothpick on top.  The potato salad also looked identical to that shown in his pics

Overall, we thought it was pretty good, good enough that we'd consider revisiting if we were in the area but not for special trip down there just for this.  I wish I had gone with the second lowest spice level rather than the third lowest - Ellas Fave - as it was a bit beyond my limited tolerance level, but I liked the crispness of the skin and the moistness of the chicken. 

Not a fan of the mac and cheese, which was actually shells and cheese.  Very dry.

I liked getting to sample all the Boylan's on tap

Quality aside - I thought 9 dollars was a bit much for two pieces of chicken and a side at a counter service joint. 

To that point - you can get the 9 dollar plate for 5 bucks if you checkin with Yelp while you're at the register.

Just catching up :)

You scared me when you said it was closed. 

Ella's is at the top of my tolerance scale. I don't want to bring a fire extinguisher into the bathroom the next day.

I get the three whole wings and the parm fries. I swear those fries have crack in them. The whole wings are significantly bigger than standard legs, so that and two sides for $9 isn't bad IMO.

This thread is making me hungry for chicken...
post edited by Bonk - 2018/02/15 14:48:16
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5