Hot!Joella's Hot Chicken

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
2017/06/18 20:54:55 (permalink)

Joella's Hot Chicken

Went to a new hot chicken place in Fishers, Indiana for Fathers Day and had a pretty good meal. Joella's is a small, regional chain out of Louisville, KY. They're doing things right, too. Had the medium spicy chicken, and potato salad. The spice level was just right and the chicken (a breast and wing combo) was nice and juicy. Cooked to perfection.The potato salad suffered from the same thing that other places suffer from. The potatoes were underdone. Not nice and soft, as they should be. Oh, well. The chicken was the star of the show, as it should be. They have, at our location, a nice selection of beers that feature many local brews, as well as mass produced swill. They also feature Boylans premium sodas on tap. Lots of really good and tasty sodas were there. My daughter had her first Birch Beer and was happy with it. They also have a desert selection that was pretty good. Chess Pie in Joella's branded Mason jars (you get to keep the jar) and they make a nice banana pudding. It's a rather large serving, too. All in all I recommend them. Good chicken, good pudding and only 6 places in their chain.

38 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8378
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2017/06/18 21:09:49 (permalink)
    Duly noted for future travels across the Hoosier State - thanks!
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11734
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2017/06/19 00:27:19 (permalink)
    Without looking at a map or Google... Is that near Bloomington?  My nephew is going to the university there and always likes new places.  Thanks!

Root-Beer Man
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2017/06/19 10:16:13 (permalink)
    mar52
    Without looking at a map or Google... Is that near Bloomington?  My nephew is going to the university there and always likes new places.  Thanks!

Fishers in just a tic noth of Indianapolis. They share a border. Technically, Joella's is in Indianapolis but Fishers is across the street. Not near Bloomington.
    Bonk
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 880
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2017/07/04 20:50:37 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, we have one in Northern Kentucky and I can't seem to get anyone on the Cincinnati board to try it.

Great chicken (Ella's fav is as hot as I can handle) and the parm fries are addictive. 

One of our favorite places in the tri-state.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2017/07/04 22:25:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, Ella's Favourite was what I had. Nice level of heat and it didn't take away from the taste of the chicken. It's a winner!
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/27 21:03:21 (permalink)
    Since Photobucket decided to take away access of my photos I needed to re-add them, as well as a new one.

The Soda fountain at Joella's. Boyland premium Sodas on tap! My son tried the birch beer this go around and really liked it.

This was my first experience with their chicken. I got the not quite medium heat.

Here is this evenings chicken. Still a quarter white chicken, but the Tweener (medium) heat level. It was nice with a lingering heat and a wonderfully spicy taste. Like last time, the potato salad was not on par. The spuds were still too toothsome. All in all, though it was worth the trip for supper. My son got the chicken and waffles and was very pleased, even though I convinced him to up the heat level a bit and get the Ella's Favourite. Even though he found it a bit too hot for his taste he still enjoyed it. I also had a nice bowl of banana pudding. Not the best I've ever had, but far from the worst. A good end to a good meal.

A look at the outside from our first visit.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9249
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/28 00:19:55 (permalink)
    Chicken looks extra crispy. looks good.
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6880
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/28 15:20:08 (permalink)
    Ooh, looks like they are a chain aspiring to get bigger.

So, I expect six stores coming soon to Dallas.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/28 21:32:00 (permalink)
    Pleeeeeeeeeeeze come to Los Angeles!
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 09:38:13 (permalink)
    We will trade our one Joellas in Cincinnati to Los Angeles for one In-N-Out and one Koga truck and a player to be named later
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 14:31:27 (permalink)
    Deal!  You can have all of the Kogi trucks and Brick and Mortars.  I don't get the popularity AT ALL.

What I never understood is why a specialty, regional restaurant opens up on top of those already in existence instead of opening in a new market... Like Los Angeles!

Can I get a Culver's in the trade?
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10346
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 14:38:01 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson
    We will trade our one Joellas in Cincinnati to Los Angeles for one In-N-Out and one Koga truck and a player to be named later

In n Out??? Seriously????!!!!

Why on earth would you want an In N out when you have Terry's Turf's Club which completely dances circles around In N Out?
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 15:41:15 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    TJ Jackson

Why on earth would you want an In N out when you have Terry's Turf's Club which completely dances circles around In N Out?

Maybe TJ likes In N Out. 

I like them once in awhile but can't stand the lines. 
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 15:48:54 (permalink)
    mar52
    wanderingjew
    TJ Jackson

Maybe TJ likes In N Out. 

I like them once in awhile but can't stand the lines. 

It's the equivilant of someone in New Haven  saying can you send Pizza hut here- all we have is a Pepe's
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 16:18:01 (permalink)
    Some like the taste of Pizza Hut. 

In N Out is its own thing.  Apples and Oranges. 
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 16:45:43 (permalink)
    And I'm sure there are many folks in KC requesting KFC because all they have is "A Strouds"
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 17:22:31 (permalink)
    I'll remind you, oh wandering one, that In-N-Out has an official Roadfood review, so ----- make sure you are sitting down before you read the next bit of text ----- its Roadfood.

(aside: not a fan of Terry's burgers, personally)

I wont reply further to this thread hijack I caused - sorry RBM - just meant the above as a joke 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/29 20:40:39 (permalink)
    mar52
    Some like the taste of Pizza Hut. 

In N Out is its own thing.  Apples and Oranges. 

Agreed!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/30 07:39:09 (permalink)
    TJ Jackson

Tell you what, let's do a three-way: Dallas will trade you two of our In-N-Outs for a Joella's.  You flip one of them to leethebard with us getting a Jersey Diner!  Win-win-win! 
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/30 16:20:01 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim
    TJ Jackson

Tell you what, let's do a three-way: Dallas will trade you two of our In-N-Outs for a Joella's.  You flip one of them to leethebard with us getting a Jersey Diner!  Win-win-win! 

...I'll trade you the Tip Top Dinner in North Jersey......

Uncle Groucho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/30 18:09:47 (permalink)
    The Kentucky menu is cheaper , I wonder why?
     Leethbard would be the winner of that trade. The hot is pretty hot , just a warning.
    Karl
    TJ Jackson
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/31 09:12:53 (permalink)
    Bonk:
    stopped by Joellas last night, just for you :-)

at 8pm

they were closed
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 371
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/31 11:44:38 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Jim,  How about Dallas gives us (Northern VA.) one In-N-Out in exchange for El Pollo Rico!!
    MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/31 13:26:17 (permalink)
    Davebassman
    MetroplexJim

Jim,  How about Dallas gives us (Northern VA.) one In-N-Out in exchange for El Pollo Rico!!

NO!
    We're moving back to NoVa and there is only ONE El Pollo Rico.
    And I am so looking forward to resuming my patronage!  
    The trade you suggest would be like trading Bryce Harper for Shin-Soo Choo!
    So, NO DEAL!

-------------

A more equitable exchange would be one Silver Diner (not Metro29 or Diner Deluxe) for an In-N-Out, which, BTW & IMHO, is somewhat over-rated. 

We've had them here in Dallas for about 7 years and I've been fewer than 7 times.  Not that they aren't better than McD's, but give me Culver's any day instead.

wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/01/31 13:31:00 (permalink)

MetroplexJim
    Davebassman
    MetroplexJim

NO!
    We're moving back to NoVa and there is only ONE El Pollo Rico.
    And I am so looking forward to resuming my patronage!  
    The trade you suggest would be like trading Bryce Harper for Shin-Soo Choo!
    So, NO DEAL!

-------------

In-N-Out, which, BTW & IMHO, is somewhat over-rated. 

MetroplexJim
    Sirloin
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 09:50:48 (permalink)
    Quoting myself:

"A more equitable exchange would be one Silver Diner (not Metro29 or Diner Deluxe) for an In-N-Out, which, BTW & IMHO, is somewhat over-rated. 

We've had them here in Dallas for about 7 years and I've been fewer than 7 times.  Not that they aren't better than McD's, but give me Culver's any day instead."

-------------------------------------

Before someone from Cali shoots me I want to make it perfectly clear that In-N-Out is good.  Feeling a tinge guilty I went to my nearest store (in close-by Allen, their first in Texas) and had lunch:  a "double-double", fries, and a chocolate milkshake.  It was really good and the bill - including Texas' nearly 10% tax - was only $8.30.

They beat the pants off "McWendyKing" for freshness, quality, and value.  If anyone "back East" wants pretty much the same, just go to Shake Shack and enjoy it for $12 or so.  And even my favorites - Five Guys and Culver's should take note that for value, In-N-Out simply can't be beaten.

In saying that In-N-Out is over-rated, I mean in the sense that Coors Beer was "over-rated" back in the day when Smokey and the Bandit was filmed.  Maybe a more accurate phrase would be "over-hyped".

When I got my first swig of a Coors I was disappointed in the fact that my entire life had not instantly changed to be forever better.  But, it was (and is) still a mighty fine beer.  My first taste of an In-N-Out burger left me feeling the same way. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8378
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 11:19:22 (permalink)
    I had that same experience with my first Coors, too.  Worse, it was "3.2 beer" as it was in Iowa and supposedly at the time (1981) beer sold there had a lower alcohol content.  While that may or may not have been true, it was still a "That's it?" moment.

A cold Coors or similar beer would be good with hot chicken, though.  Too bad Joella's doesn't have a license for beer and wine.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 11:26:14 (permalink)
    Oh Don't worry about us Cali folk.  No gun!   (It's not that I never had one!!!)

VALUE!  Value and taste.  That's the thing.  You won't go broke and the In N Out burger does taste good.  Their fries and shakes don't. 

The last time I bought an In N Out burger was in April of 2017 in Thousand Palms, California.  It was late, nothing else was open and it met the job.

Before that was November of 2016 in Hesperia, California.  I was on the road home and it was next to the gas station.  Convenience sometimes is part of the equation.

I have an In N Out less than two miles from home.  I've only been there once.  It shares the parking lot with our Costco.  I much prefer a Kirkland Hot Dog.

I believe they both share the value, taste and convenience factors.

Then there's the comfort of consistency.  You know what you're going to get before getting it.
    Root-Beer Man
    Re: Joella's Hot Chicken 2018/02/02 13:12:05 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    I had that same experience with my first Coors, too.  Worse, it was "3.2 beer" as it was in Iowa and supposedly at the time (1981) beer sold there had a lower alcohol content.  While that may or may not have been true, it was still a "That's it?" moment.

A cold Coors or similar beer would be good with hot chicken, though.  Too bad Joella's doesn't have a license for beer and wine.

Oh, contraire! My local Joella's does indeed have a beer license and serves up many a good local microbrew to go with their fine, hot chicken. It's not just premium Sodas that you get, you get premium beer, too.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5