Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8724
2018/08/09 18:17:09 (permalink)

Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI)

While on vacation at the end of July we took a half-day trip that included a stop at Joe's Pasty Shop, on W. Aurora Ave. in Ironwood, MI.

It's not a big place and the presence of the ATM is because of the cash-only policy.  The small photo on the back wall at the far left, across from the putter, is of PGA pro Steve Stricker; while we were sitting in our booth I kept thinking, "That photo looks like it could be Steve Stricker", and sure enough I was validated when I checked it out.  But what made it really interesting is that it's an autographed photo, and when I asked about it I learned that he married a local girl and apparently she has some connection to the shop as well.  And to further cement the "it's a small world" theme, we live less than 10 miles from and our younger daughter lives in Edgerton, WI...Steve Stricker's hometown!

A regular pasty is made with ground beef, potatoes, and onions.  I hoped that it wouldn't be too oniony and that the onions wouldn't be too textural, and was very happy to find that the flavor was mild and they were virtually undetectable when it came to chewing.  Very good and very filling!

At Joe's a Cornish pasty is a regular pasty plus rutabagas, and a Finnish pasty is a Cornish plus carrots.  This is our daughter's Finnish pasty and she liked it very much.  Joe's also makes frozen specialty pasties and she bought one made with elk and one made with camel.  Yes, camel meat...my favorite cut is the appendage at the end of the foot.

So if you ever happen to find yourself in Ironwood, do yourself a favor and "eat at Joe's"!
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/08/09 23:45:59

4 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9638
    Re: Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI) 2018/08/09 18:38:39 (permalink)
    Woq...good looking Pasties!
    lazycook
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI) 2018/08/09 19:05:01 (permalink)
    Joe's is a very popular place.  If I'd known you'd be in Ironwood, I would have sent you to Mike's for their Lumberjack's Breakfast - my brother-in-law was heard to exclaim from a nearby table "Oh my God, I just found another sausage patty!" Most of my other favorite restaurants from my years in Ironwood are gone, but Mike's on
    US-2 remains. But it's tiny - try not to sit by the door in the wintertime. 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8724
    Re: Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI) 2018/08/09 19:36:36 (permalink)
    Thanks!

Lazycook, Mike's was definitely on the short list but I really wanted to try Joe's before anything else.  Mike's might be a meal break next year, though!

I just remembered that the afternoon assistant at our vet's office was in Ironwood this week.  I'll have to remember to ask her where she went.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2018/08/09 19:38:38
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6323
    Re: Joe's Pasty Shop (Ironwood, MI) 2018/08/09 23:56:17 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    Yes, camel meat...my favorite cut is the appendage at the end of the foot.

Do you tell your grandson you love him with that keyboard?

Buddy
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5