scrumptiouschef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2316
2018/09/20 09:43:50 (permalink)

14 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6284
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/20 17:53:49 (permalink)
    Very nice.  Based on the story; is white corn a New England thing?  I'm guessing it's gotta be readily available in the south, even if it's used primarily for Grits.  We don't see much of it here in The Rust Belt; bi-color at best.  You can get it frozen, but I'm guessing the Jolly Green So-And-So doesn't put as much care into his prep as I do, so how good can it be?

I've been hoarding end of the season corn here, ten ears at time ($.10 each), for the last few weeks, stripping it from the cob, sauteing it in liberal amounts of butter with a dash of salt & pepper, then storing it in zip-lock bags for freezing.  Mrs. Roadhouse thinks I'm nuts, and questions the wisdom of taking up that much freezer space.  But I'll be goosed if I'm gonna go a whole winter without a decent serving of corn.  Plus, come Thanksgiving dinner, the rest of the family will be thanking me for my late summer diligence.

If I decide to share.

Buddy
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1444
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/20 19:38:03 (permalink)
    White corn is pretty regional these days, for fresh corn. You're right about our region being predominantly bi-colour or yellow. IWhite is really common from Kentucky on down through Tennessee. It's my preferred eating corn, because it's so sweet.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6284
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/20 20:11:38 (permalink)
    Sweeter than yellow or bi-color?  'Cause we had some primo ears the last couple of summers.  Anything sweeter might put my teeth on edge.

I mostly see it as "shoe peg" corn in the freezer section; really small kernels.  What does it look like when you buy fresh ears at the market?

Buddy
    Root-Beer Man
    • Total Posts : 1444
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/20 22:15:54 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sweeter than yellow or bi-color?  'Cause we had some primo ears the last couple of summers.  Anything sweeter might put my teeth on edge.

I mostly see it as "shoe peg" corn in the freezer section; really small kernels.  What does it look like when you buy fresh ears at the market?

Buddy

Depends on the variety, but most of the white corn I've ever had was easily sweeter than yellow or bi-colour. I was always fond of the Silver Queen variety and even used to grow it for the family out at the family farm. It was nice and sweet. Very crisp, too with kernels that were a bit smaller than the average bi-colour. Some of the newer strains were even sweeter. Not candy sweet, but corn sweet. And it has very tender kernels. Mmmm...now I want some, dagnabbit! Silver Queen is one of, if not the oldest white sweet corn around, but lots of people don't grow it anymore outside of the South. It used to be THE corn of choice in places like Maryland, (with their crab boils). You can buy the seeds for it, though from many of the seed companies, (if you want to grow some yourself). As for what it looks like...

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8623
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/20 22:56:20 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    https://www.epsilontheory.com/mastering-the-art-of-french-cooking/

I couldn't tell if the gist of the story was that W. Ben Hunt went to Harvard, or that he once saw Julia Child buy some corn.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 841
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/21 00:24:15 (permalink)
    When I grew up in RI, the white "Silver Queen" corn was one of the most common.  It was more sweet and tender-crisp than the yellow varieties.  

Glenn

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9521
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/21 02:08:09 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man
    BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

Depends on the variety, but most of the white corn I've ever had was easily sweeter than yellow or bi-colour. I was always fond of the Silver Queen variety and even used to grow it for the family out at the family farm. It was nice and sweet. Very crisp, too with kernels that were a bit smaller than the average bi-colour. Some of the newer strains were even sweeter. Not candy sweet, but corn sweet. And it has very tender kernels. Mmmm...now I want some, dagnabbit! Silver Queen is one of, if not the oldest white sweet corn around, but lots of people don't grow it anymore outside of the South. It used to be THE corn of choice in places like Maryland, (with their crab boils). You can buy the seeds for it, though from many of the seed companies, (if you want to grow some yourself). As for what it looks like...

scrumptiouschef
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 11:47:21 (permalink)
    My dad raised corn on a couple hundred acres of land in the Cumberland Highlands. He used to tell people to put a blindfold on to see if they could tell the difference between white and yellow corn. The best corn I ever had came from a farm in Shelby County,  Kentucky. The man raised white, yellow, and bi-color. It was all delicious. He received GMO seed strains through the University of Kentucky.

I grew up on white. My uncle's family only ate yellow. I can't remember ever having a bad ear regardless of color.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2435
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 13:50:19 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    My dad raised corn on a couple hundred acres of land in the Cumberland Highlands. He used to tell people to put a blindfold on to see if they could tell the difference between white and yellow corn. The best corn I ever had came from a farm in Shelby County,  Kentucky. The man raised white, yellow, and bi-color. It was all delicious. He received GMO seed strains through the University of Kentucky.

I grew up on white. My uncle's family only ate yellow. I can't remember ever having a bad ear regardless of color.

I agree.   Personally, I like 'field' corn over 'sweet' corn any day.     ...  The sweetness of corn depends on the how ripe (age) of the corn.    Corn sweetness, at its the peak, will only last for a day or 2.     ... 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22950
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 14:08:37 (permalink)
    I grew up eating mostly white sweet corn, but also some yellow Bantam. Both were as sweet as can be. But my favorite has always been the young field corn I used to swipe from a field next to baseball diamond in the Woodmont section of Milford, Connecticut where we played on summer weekends. We'd slip into the corn, pick a few ears and eat it right there. It was Heaven.
    scrumptiouschef
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 15:50:45 (permalink)
    edwmax
    scrumptiouschef

I agree.   Personally, I like 'field' corn over 'sweet' corn any day.     ...  The sweetness of corn depends on the how ripe (age) of the corn.    Corn sweetness, at its the peak, will only last for a day or 2.     ... 

GMO corn will last several days in the bottom of the fridge. It gets less sweet as time goes by.
    edwmax
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 21:28:46 (permalink)
    Young field corn is the best and it is just as sweet as any sweet corn.    In some varieties of corn the sugar turns to starch quicker than others thus losing it sweetness.   So pick the corn when it just fills out and may be a few ears still with some pops (more sweet, less starch).   

I plant and grow Truckers white & yellow corn.     This year the chickens and ducks wouldn't wait for the corn to grow.    They dug up & eat the seeds.    I gave up after the 2nd planting.

Anyway for info the cost of seed corn:
    Silver Queen sweet corn:    $12 /lb
    Merit Sweet corn:     $8 to $10 /lb
    Truckers White or Yellow corn:  $2  /lb
    Bi-color or Peaches & Cream  corn:   $8 /lb plus   [ Note:   just plant white & yellow corn seed mixed in the row and you will have Bi-color corn ears]
    scrumptiouschef
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/22 21:55:10 (permalink)
    I've eaten more Merit than any other strain. It's a great, all-purpose corn. My grandma grew it, my uncle grew it. I stand behind it. There's another variety called Hickory King that my dad's best friend grew. The stalks grow to upwards of 12' feet tall, and the ears are a good foot long. It's another great variety. Is anything better than corn, scraped off the cob and cooked with a little butter, salt, and cream?
    edwmax
    Re: Julia Child and white corn 2018/09/23 06:07:00 (permalink)
    scrumptiouschef
    Is anything better than corn, scraped off the cob and cooked with a little butter, salt, and cream?

Nothing!   ... It's some of the best grits you'd ever put in your mouth.

Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5