Helpful ReplyJuly 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout

Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1187
2019/07/15 02:10:45 (permalink)

July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout

Danny (ChiBears15) and I met at the new location for the Windy City Smokeout early this afternoon. We had a great time at our nine stops. It was a very, very sunny day, and quite warm, and we both remembered that last year it was cloudy, so a bit more comfortable. There was only one stop where we were able to eat in the shade. The rest of the time was bright sun. At any rate, here was the day. I believe there were about twenty pit masters, but we were only able to go to eight of them. This was the sign at the entrance.

We didn't go here.

We didn't go here, either. We didn't go to any of the Chicago places, for obvious reasons.

Our first stop was Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q from Atlanta. This was my third visit to the Smokeout, and my third visit to Fox Bros. I've had the smoked short rib each time, and it's been fantastic each time.

Stop number two was Sam Jones Whole Hog Barbecue from Winterville, North Carolina. They have also been here during my three visits, and I love their chopped pork sandwich with slaw.

I had my doubts about stop number three, The Salt Lick BBQ from Driftwood, Texas, and I was right to be worried. I thought their fame might have meant a loss in quality, and the brisket here was mediocre at best.

It even looked like it wasn't going to be good. No smoke flavor, not much of any flavor, and the meat was way too chewy. A real disappointment.

This was their two sauces, which was better than the meat, but not good enough to help.

Another sign.

Stop number four was Blue Oak BBQ from New Orleans. I know that New Orleans isn't known for their barbecue, but their offerings were tailored to the region.

We went with the brisket burnt ends gumbo and Louisiana dirty rice. Both were excellent, although I thought the burnt ends were a bit soft and maybe too fatty, and I think I would have preferred it made with Andouille sausage, and to be a bit thicker, but that's just me. The rice was great.

Stop number five was another place that we had been to last year and loved, Little Miss BBQ from Phoenix. The brisket was excellent.

Their sauces, regular and spicy. It didn't need any sauce at all!

Stop number six was a new to us place, Ubons from Yazoo, Mississippi. We went with a pulled pork sandwich. Different than our chopped pork sandwich from Sam Jones, this sandwich had larger strands of pork, and served with a sweeter sauce, with no slaw served on the sandwich. It was still excellent.

Stop number seven was also a new place for us, and it was a sweet stop, for a bit of a rest from the barbecue. We had a Dorothy Sundae, vanilla ice cream, wafer cookies and dulce de leche, plus some chocolate. It was really refreshing on this hot day.

Stop number eight was a place that I had been to before at the Smokeout, 17th Street BBQ, from Murphysboro, Illinois, but I had only had the beans. This time we decided to try the baby back ribs. Unfortunately, this was another disappointment, as the ribs were barely mediocre.

Our ninth and last stop, Truth Barbecue, of Brenham, Texas, had been recommended to us by the owner and pit master of Little Miss BBQ earlier in the afternoon, and we were really thankful to him. This was probably the highlight of the day, and some of the absolute best brisket I've ever had in my life.

Danny coming back after placing the order.

This was a great day, and I recommend this little barbecue extravaganza to everyone, especially if you can share with someone. It's a bit expensive, but much cheaper than flying to eight or nine different cities!

leethebard
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10288
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 07:28:13 (permalink)
Wow....some amazing looking barbecue. So glad at least some of it was stand-out quality. Looks like it was a fun and tasty day. Thanks for taking us along!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9230
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 09:07:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby joerogo 2019/07/15 15:59:00
Davidsanders

Why is Danny flashing gang signs?
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 859
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 09:59:09 (permalink)
That looks like a great time and some great bbq. How was the country music concert?
Davidsanders
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 10:08:39 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Davidsanders

Why is Danny flashing gang signs?

Good question. I was afraid to ask.
Davidsanders
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 10:13:06 (permalink)
chickenplucker
That looks like a great time and some great bbq. How was the country music concert?

We got there early enough that it was just really loud recorded music for a while, maybe about an hour. After that, people I would never have heard of got up on the stage and it got even louder. After our ninth stop we went back to the sweets area and were considering a piece of Bang Bang pie, but between our both being really, really full, the blazing sun, and the close proximity to the stage where for some reason there were even more speakers and the music was basically unbearable, we left. I wonder if they were worried that people in the next county wouldn't hear them.
post edited by Davidsanders - 2019/07/17 17:26:50
phlmaestro
  • Total Posts : 1069
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 15:06:57 (permalink)
Those are great photos. They have me in the mood for Q.

Thanks for the report.
will_work_4_bbq
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/15 23:41:26 (permalink)
Love it!  Great looking food!  And yeah, now I want some barbecue!!
Ram4
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: July 14, 2019 Windy City Smokeout 2019/07/17 15:12:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the report.  I probably would have gone but I completely overlooked it this year.
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5