Helpful ReplyJunior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL

Author
acer2x
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
2017/01/25 22:03:10 (permalink)

Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL

Had a very good corned beef sandwich and their famous cheesecake last week during a short trip to Florida.

http://www.southflorida.c...en-20161007-story.html
acer2x
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/06/27 22:33:30 (permalink)
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/03 15:26:09 (permalink)
It doesn’t surprise me. I had one of the, if not the worst pastrami sandwiches of my life in February at the 49th street branch of Juniors. It was a bit like pressed turkey roll, very thin and tasted processed. It was disgusting. The cheesecake was not terrible, but not particularly good. Plus, the atmosphere was horrible, with loud rock music blaring. I had been to the original location in Brooklyn and it was pretty good, although I never liked it as much as the Carnegie Deli, but everything was good or even very good. I had also been to the location farther south on Broadway in Manhattan (44th?), and that was also good. Maybe it was just this newer location that was so dreadful. If the Boca branch was anything like that it’s no wonder they closed.

David
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22929
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 11:41:00 (permalink)
What a surprise. A hangover, perhaps, from the days when Jews weren't really allowed in Boca Raton?
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5085
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 12:52:54 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
What a surprise. A hangover, perhaps, from the days when Jews weren't really allowed in Boca Raton?

Or more of wanderingjew's Jewsih Deli closings!  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 14:48:01 (permalink)
ChiTownDiner
Michael Hoffman

That's it!

wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10540
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 15:15:46 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
ChiTownDiner
Michael Hoffman

That's it!

Funny....

Bruce Bilmes used to lie and say that fish cakes, beans and brown bread in Boston no longer existed, everyone believed him, I was ridiculed and yet I proved him wrong time and time again.

Davydd used to say lie and say that hotdish was a gimmick for tourists and restaurants serving Scandinavian food didn't exist in the Twin Cities... Everyone believed him, I was ridiculed...and yet I proved him wrong time and time again.

Jewish Deli's have have been dwindling and closing for decades.... the only few left in the NYC area exist solely for tourists... Where there used to be 400 "Katz's" like deli's on the lower east side alone- there's probably only 20-25 deli's left in the entire metro area- that includes all of  Long Island, Northern NJ, Rockland and Westchester County and Fairfield and New Haven County CT- I've proved this time and time again....and yet I'm ridiculed...
ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 16:13:19 (permalink)
In your math, Giving you credit = Ridicule.  Ridiculerous! 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 18:40:12 (permalink)
There he goes again trying to get people to believe his fantasy about New Haven being in the New York metro area. And he's using his only-tourists-go-to-delicatessens fantasy to boot.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 19:05:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman
There he goes again trying to get people to believe his fantasy about New Haven being in the New York metro area. And he's using his only-tourists-go-to-delicatessens fantasy to boot.

You're arguing with the wrong person- go argue with Rand McNally, the US Census, Metro North Train Service and the State of Connecticut for keeping the "urban"speed limit on I 95 at 55 mph from the NY/CT border to well past New Haven in Branford...No one I know goes to the Jewish Deli's- that's why they've died.. The only time they went was when the Carnegie Deli closed.. So- why don't you name the other 400 deli's on the lower east side that proliferate- Why is is, the only one everyone can is Katz's...That's because it's the only one left!!

Sorry, but on both counts...It's not 1955 anymore
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1409
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 19:11:15 (permalink)
Me and my kids just went to our local Jewish deli a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit spendy, but good food, nonetheless. They seem to be doing a good business.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 19:18:17 (permalink)

Ben's Best in Rego Park just went out of business. I visited 11 years ago-and even back then it was on it's last legs- The food tasted "old" and the place eerily empty.. 
I just went to Epstein's in Hartsdale NY a few weeks ago on my way down to Delaware.. It's the only Jewish Deli left in Westchester County... a place where decades ago there were more Jewish Deli's than you can shake a stick act..
It's sad that the elderly and some middle aged folks who are clinging to their child hood can't accept when a part of their past has died- it's as if ...the emperor has no clothes...
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/04 19:49:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby ChiTownDiner 2018/07/05 06:17:13

Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/05 01:18:18 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

You're arguing with the wrong person- go argue with Rand McNally, the US Census, Metro North Train Service and the State of Connecticut for keeping the "urban"speed limit on I 95 at 55 mph from the NY/CT border to well past New Haven in Branford...No one I know goes to the Jewish Deli's- that's why they've died.. The only time they went was when the Carnegie Deli closed.. So- why don't you name the other 400 deli's on the lower east side that proliferate- Why is is, the only one everyone can is Katz's...That's because it's the only one left!!

It's really a shame that so many, or even most of the delis have gone out of business. I think it probably has something to do with the fact that a lot of people over the past decades have tried to start eating healthier, and pastrami and cheesecake don't fit it with a balanced diet, certainly not on a regular basis. Whatever the reason, it's obvious that there are fewer now than there used to be. And part of it could be that some of them just weren't that good. I went to a pretty good one last fall in Palm Springs. Probably a lot of retirees down there. 

ChiTownDiner
Sirloin
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/05 06:18:07 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

It's really a shame that so many, or even most of the delis have gone out of business. I think it probably has something to do with the fact that a lot of people over the past decades have tried to start eating healthier, and pastrami and cheesecake don't fit it with a balanced diet, certainly not on a regular basis. Whatever the reason, it's obvious that there are fewer now than there used to be. And part of it could be that some of them just weren't that good. I went to a pretty good one last fall in Palm Springs. Probably a lot of retirees down there. 

But there's always chopped liver for the win!  Doesn't get any healthier!  
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/05 07:41:28 (permalink)
Davidsanders
wanderingjew
Michael Hoffman

David

I don't think it's "eating healthy" as much as it is "changing tastes" and a disassociation with the past.... If that's the case then people I know wouldn't be eating greasy burgers, fatty pizza, or deep fried Chinese food (and yes these are the same people that just aren't going to the Jewish deli's anymore). And you certainly can't blame the millenials- although Kale and Quinoa is big, they also brought  lobster mac n cheese, banh mi, grown up grilled cheese, shrimp and grits and poutine to dining tables across America....

post edited by wanderingjew - 2018/07/05 07:57:49
ann peeples
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10361
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/07 07:58:52 (permalink)
Thank God Milwaukee still has Benji's deli and restaurant!
acer2x
Double Cheeseburger
Re: Junior's Deli Opens in Boca Raton, FL 2018/07/19 18:53:43 (permalink)
The Jewish Deli is not totally dead. 2 new delis recently opened in Philly:
1. Manny's in Bucks County http://jewishexponent.com...jewish-deli-tradition/
2. Cooperman's in the Mt. Airy section of Philly.http://jewishexponent.com...deli-opens-in-mt-airy/
In the meantime, old reliables Pumpernick's in Montgomeryville, Ben & Irv's in Huntingdon Valley, Hymie's and Murray's in Lower Merion and the Philly delegation of Famous 4th Street, Herschel's in Reading Terminal Market and Schlessinger's, are still around as is Downbeach in Margate, NJ.

A new deli has opened in Alaska! 
Jewish Deli Opens in Alaska
The first Jewish deli in Alaska has opened in Anchorage, JTA reported.
Mo’s Deli and Catering is the brainchild of Jason Ellis, who grew up in Alaska, although his family originally was from Brooklyn, N.Y.
Ellis does face some challenges in operating a deli. The food imported to him takes weeks to arrive, as it is first shipped to Seattle, then placed on boats headed for Anchorage.
“On the other hand, they are serving up locally sourced sockeye salmon lox to accompany their bagels and cream cheese — some uniquely Alaskan Jewish fare,” JTA reported.

Here ,in The Valley of the Sun, Chompies has 5 locations: www.chompies.com and also Kaufman's, Scott's and NY Bagels&Bialys (2 locations) in Scottsdale are going strong. 

Needless to say, L A , Chicago and South Florida are well represented. Don't forget TooJays in Florida with 30 locations. 

post edited by acer2x - 2018/07/19 18:57:05
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5