Just discovered Wegmans

Author
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2005/11/28 20:40:55 (permalink)

Just discovered Wegmans

Mom had been jumping up and down for months crowing that our local mall (Hunt Valley, north of Baltimore) was getting a Wegmans, and she's been shopping there now for weeks and gushing about it. Well, I finally went along the other night with the kids. Wow! The Market Cafe is really amazing! My six-year-old daughter noted that it was like a little village. You browse around, and pick up whatever food you want, check it out, and if you need to warm it up (some are offered pre-cooked and refrigerated), there's a microwave upstairs by the free-refill soda fountain. The decor was enchanting, and the kids loved looking down over the balcony to see the shoppers below in the "village."

Then we hit the store itself. I've never seen so many different kinds of sheep's cheese in one place, I swear. Huge international section, with most of the ingredients I'd normally go to the Asian grocery in Frederick to get. Bulk food area, bulk candy area, and even a model train that runs on a track overhead in one spot. The kids loved it! Can't wait to go back with hubby.

Jennie

22 Replies Related Threads

Tedbear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/11/29 09:54:05 (permalink)

Wegmans (in Bridgewater, NJ) has truly elevated the shopping experience in Central NJ. Everything that was stated previously is true, and is not an overstatement.

However, the smaller Kings grocery chain has had the same quality of goods and a similar selection for many years. In comparison with Wegmans, Kings now seems small, but the quality of the foods that are available is extremely similar. In fact, Kings actually has a better selection of imported olive oils and imported honeys than Wegmans. The only substantive difference between the two stores is the size and the presence of the Market Cafe at Wegmans.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 463
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/11/29 10:51:51 (permalink)
    What, they skipped Delaware and went straight to Maryland!? I hate you. There are rumors of an unnamed upscale supermarket trying to locate here but having difficulty finding space. I hope it is them and they can come and put these other garbage purveyors out of business. I do have nearby the 18,000 s.f. Food Source for overpriced delectables but would like a full sized store. Congratulations and enjoy.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/11/29 11:34:37 (permalink)
    Yes, the Hunt Valley Wegmans is quite an experience. We ate in the Market Cafe when we went there. Food was decent -- not outstanding, but decent. And it was nice to be able to get different things for everyone in the family.

The store itself is more than the average person would need for a normal shopping trip, and it was very crowded when I went there (on a weekend). Prices are high, too, so unless it was a specialty item I couldn't get elsewhere, I'd probably just shop at the warehouse store or regular supermarket.

As I am getting my PharmD in May, I have been looking into employment opportunities, and I have interviewed with Wegmans. They seem like an excellent company to work for. (and they were rated #1 in the Fortune magazine article this year) There is a decent chance we will be moving to upstate NY next year, and if we do, I'll be looking at Wegmans.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/11/29 16:33:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by joanie41

Yes, the Hunt Valley Wegmans is quite an experience. We ate in the Market Cafe when we went there. Food was decent -- not outstanding, but decent. And it was nice to be able to get different things for everyone in the family.

The store itself is more than the average person would need for a normal shopping trip, and it was very crowded when I went there (on a weekend). Prices are high, too, so unless it was a specialty item I couldn't get elsewhere, I'd probably just shop at the warehouse store or regular supermarket.

As I am getting my PharmD in May, I have been looking into employment opportunities, and I have interviewed with Wegmans. They seem like an excellent company to work for. (and they were rated #1 in the Fortune magazine article this year) There is a decent chance we will be moving to upstate NY next year, and if we do, I'll be looking at Wegmans.

It will depend on where you move to in Upstate NY, there are not any Wegmans within 120 miles of Albany that I know of the closest one to Albany is in Syracuse. In the Albany are there are 2 almost 3 major players in supermarkets, Price Chopper based out of Rotterdam, NY they are the local Heavy and Hannaford (Shop n' Save) Based out of Portsmouth, NH I believe. And of course recently Wal-mart Supercenters have been moving in as well but they are still #3 in the Albany area. Although I have heard recent talk that Wegmans is looking to move into Albany as well.
    joanie41
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/11/29 17:03:48 (permalink)
    Octopus, if we move up there, it will be the Syracuse area. My husband is an aerospace engineer and had an interview with a local company recently. And I've discussed locations with the Wegmans people. But things are still very much up in the air...
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1474
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 13:34:34 (permalink)
    The nice thing about Wegmans is even if you don't have one in town (nearest for me is DeWitt,or Ithaca, NY) is that they've raised the bar for everyone else. In Tops and Price Choppers I see a better selection of fresh baked breads, seafood, international foods and the like.

While they are very nice, I find the big Wegmans stores overwhelming to shop in ( I know what I want and where it is, I'm not there to browse, or graze...in and out in under an hour).
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5600
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 13:50:31 (permalink)
    I always love when new people learn about Wegman's.
    I can never explain it to friends as well as when I take them there.

Cosmos, all the new ones are like the one in Dewitt, maybe even a little larger.
    Like you, I prefer the Wegman's that are more the size of Taft Road or Rt. 31. (if you've been to those).

There's no question Wegman's has had an impact on the area. But until the grocery stores around here hire sushi chefs, pastry chefs, butchers, and other assorted chefs full time, the quality at Wegman's will always be a notch above.

That said, it's always a joy to go to Trader Joe's and pick up some great unique cheeses, savories, and such with markably lower prices than other specialty grocers like Whole Foods. And MacGruder's usually has some nice sales on fruits and vegetables.

When I leave DC to grocery shop it's either Wegman's then Trader Joe's or Trader Joe's then Wegman's.

I can't wait until Wegman's opens in Arlington! (much closer to me than Fairfax)
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 15:03:56 (permalink)
    I always wonder about the complaints that Wegmans has high prices. In Rochester, it is the predominant grocer, and prices were always close to par with Tops. Since Walmart opened a few supercenters with low grocery prices, Wegmans has pretty much matched them on most items.

Maybe the fancy specialty items are higher (and that is something Walmart doesn't stock), but it doesn't cost us any more to shop at Wegmans than the other groceries. A few exceptions are buying salmon and meat at Sams Club, and fruit and vegetables at the Farmers Market, but even so, Wegmans is comparable to most of the other grocers on those items.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 15:47:02 (permalink)
    Wegmans' prices overall is on par with other grocers.
    But you can get better meat prices at P & C and Price Chopper (in Syr.).

Down here in the DC area, the prices are in line with other Stores, and dairy products (thanks to Danny using the same Upstate farmers that supply Buff/Roch/Syr) are much cheaper. And the quality of the perishables is definately better than Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Safeway and Giant.

But certain "unique" items are very cheap at Trader Joe's. It's the only grocery store outside of Upstate, NY that ever impressed me. And it's not at all the size of the place (which is generally small), but rather the quality of the stuff in the store.

You'd have to go there to see what I mean.

Maybe some people (from CA?) who grew up with Trader Joe's can describe the place acurately.
    In the mean time: http://www.traderjoes.com/

But I would never want to give up my Wegman trips.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 16:07:59 (permalink)
    I discovered Wegman's years ago, unfortunately I moved to the Albany area and Wegman's has not discovered me yet.

The two main players in the Albany area are not bad but they do not compare to Wegman's.
    Price Chopper is local and more expensive. Hannaford still likes to pretend they are out of Maine, but they are part of a Belgian conglomerate.

Wegman's, I am still waiting!
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 17:25:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I discovered Wegman's years ago, unfortunately I moved to the Albany area and Wegman's has not discovered me yet.

The two main players in the Albany area are not bad but they do not compare to Wegman's.
    Price Chopper is local and more expensive. Hannaford still likes to pretend they are out of Maine, but they are part of a Belgian conglomerate.

Sigh,
    I am in Maine and am stuck with Shaws-which is Albertsons and Hannafords...
    I crave my Publix market back home..
    Boo Hoo...
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/01 17:25:53 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Berndog and Scorereader about the prices at Wegmans. About a year ago (maybe a bit longer..?) they introduced their new consistent everyday pricing policy. As a result, for staple items, they are no more expensive than the "ordinary" competition in this area, like Shop-Rite and Stop & Shop, and I have actually found Wegmans to be cheaper on quite a few items.

Of course, if you are going to buy that Standing Rib Roast or those beautiful Blue Marlin Steaks or those Black Truffles, your bill is going to be high. But, then again, aren't superior quality meats, fish, and produce the main reasons for going to Wegmans in the first place? The idea of high prices for staples at Wegmans is a myth that one can disprove by a bit of price-comparison shopping.
    BearHit
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 58
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/02 07:07:02 (permalink)
    A Wegman's is set to open here in Mt. Laurel NJ in March.

It has been under construction forever! Guess they want to make everything perfect before opening...
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/02 14:49:00 (permalink)
    quote:

In the Albany area, Wal-mart's prices are far better, however what you gain in savings is lost on customer service and selection especially service areas including produce. I do most of my everyday stuff shopping there and get more specialty items at the other 2 locals. Hannaford based out of Scarborough, Maine , i checked their website.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/02 20:58:38 (permalink)
    Octopus,

Sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to ascertain the facts:

Delhaize Group

Delhaize Group is a Belgian food retailer present in eight countries on three continents. At the end of September 2005, Delhaize Group's sales network consisted of 2,629 stores. In 2004, Delhaize Group posted EUR 17.9 billion (USD 22.2 billion) in net sales and other revenues and EUR 299.8 million (USD 372.9 million) in net profit. At the end of 2004, Delhaize Group employed approximately 138,000 people. Delhaize Group is listed on Euronext Brussels (DELB) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEG).

Hannaford is definitely part of the Delhaize Group. Here is a link that will confirm my statement:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/051110/290/fwigd.html

RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/04 07:49:20 (permalink)
    Unlike Walmart, this year Wegman's was voted #1 in Fortune magazine's "100 Best Companies To Work For" and has been on the list for the last eight years. My daughter worked part-time for them through high school as a cashier and I can confirm that choice. The pride they helped instill in her to make customers' shopping experience a pleasant one will probably stay with her the rest of her life.

Her specialty was germophobic customers (I never had realized there were so many). She had to keep a box of plastic gloves under her checkout counter and when she got a signal from the floor supervisor, she'd put them on, wipe down the conveyor belt and register with a disinfecting wipe, and take care not to cough or touch anything other than the person's food or the register. Now THAT'S customer service.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/04 13:22:37 (permalink)
    Here's another story about the wonderful customer service at Wegmans. Aboout 15 years ago, my wife returned home one evening with a leaky gallon of milk. As she drove back to Wegmans to exhange it, she realized it had run through the brown paper bag and wet the passenger side of the front seat of her car.

She mentioned this to the customer service desk, hoping they might give her a free can of carpet cleaner to clean the seat and keep the milk from smelling up the car (it was summer). The worker called over a manager, who filled out a claim form, and gave her a receipt to have the car detailed at Delta Sonic, a local car wash chain. Just go and have it done, bring back the Delta Sonic receipt along with the Wegmans form and they would reimburse us in cash.

This went far beyond anything we had expected, and I was shocked when we had this done the next weekend to find that the car detailing (which included the deluxe wash, steam engine cleaning, carpet and upholstry cleaning) cost about $70.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2005/12/05 16:05:37 (permalink)
    quote:

Octopus,

Sometimes you have to dig a little deeper to ascertain the facts:

Delhaize Group

Delhaize Group is a Belgian food retailer present in eight countries on three continents. At the end of September 2005, Delhaize Group's sales network consisted of 2,629 stores. In 2004, Delhaize Group posted EUR 17.9 billion (USD 22.2 billion) in net sales and other revenues and EUR 299.8 million (USD 372.9 million) in net profit. At the end of 2004, Delhaize Group employed approximately 138,000 people. Delhaize Group is listed on Euronext Brussels (DELB) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEG).

Hannaford is definitely part of the Delhaize Group. Here is a link that will confirm my statement:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/051110/290/fwigd.html

Dude relax I never said you were not correct i was stating that the wesbsite states ME not NH as i stated in my eariler post, Basically i was correcting myself not you.
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2006/01/05 12:57:02 (permalink)
    I got in late on this link but wanted to tell you that the new Maryland Wegman's is the most awesome grocery store I have ever seen, and I've been in a lot of them, both here and overseas. The variety of produce was beyond belief and the cheese section would bring tears to the eyes of a Frenchman. Yes, things are more expensive there, but it's worth it for the selection and quality. I even got a good deal on a Cuisinart hand mixer in their enormous kitchen store. I know of a woman who came to my hometown in Pennsylvania some time ago from one of the Slavic countries. Her sister took her to one of the big supermarkets (Giant, I think) and the sister just stood there and broke down in tears--she couldn't believe we had so many things to select from.
    Is this a great country or what?
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2006/01/05 13:07:31 (permalink)
    A few years ago, when my grandaughter was visiting for the weekend, she came back all excited after an outing with her grandad. She said they went to a place that was like Willie Wonka's chocolate factory. There were WALLS made out of candy and you could pick the kinds you wanted and was rambling on and on about this magical place. I couldn't figure out where they went and then it dawned on me that he'd taken her to Wegman's candy dept.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1757
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2006/01/05 15:34:50 (permalink)
    I'm delighted that Wegman's is now in Hunt Valley so the deprived Baltimore area shoppers can see a 21st century grocery store. The market leader, Giant, is still opening new stores with all that was cutting edge in 1980.

But Central Market in Texas is still tops in my book.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Just discovered Wegmans 2006/01/05 17:14:59 (permalink)
    The best part of having a Wegman's down in the DC area, for me, is that on the return trip from my hometown (Syracsue) to DC, I no longer have to take grocery bags of food with me.

It makes unpacking so much easier.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5