Helpful ReplyHot!K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Wintahaba
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 718
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/26 10:35:17 (permalink)
1bbqboy
ScreamingChicken
phlmaestro
I forgot to order cheese on my double steakburger.

I am at a loss for words.

Incidentally, in the photo of Ike manning the grill the station wagon in the background looks like a 1960 Plymouth.

Maybe Christine was running the country while Ike and Mamie grilled the days away.

Good eye SC...my Grandfather had the same Suburban....BTW--Christine was a 58 Fury.
zeebaneighba
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/26 10:42:55 (permalink)
As a Kansan, I really enjoyed reading your trip report!  Glad you made it to Bobo's.

If you (or anyone else here) gets to Topeka again, another wonderful hamburger joint is the Pad.  It is in north Topeka, 1730 NW Topeka Blvd., and has been around -- locally owned -- since the 1960s.  Their burgers are a cross between "smashed" and a bit thicker and juicier patty.  They grill the buns in the burger grease, which sounds like a coronary disaster but is absolutely delicious.  Their fries are actually curly Qs or Suzie Qs.  They also have homemade pies, shakes, and malts -- and their own version of a Wendy's Frosty that goes very well with one's meal.  My husband has been going there since his high school days at Topeka HS in the 1980s, and introduced me to the place.

IRT the coconut cream pie at the Sommerset Hall Cafe, here is a "believe it or not" story.  My mother in law lives in Topeka and knows the daughter of the woman who made those pies for decades -- including the award-winning pie.  For special occasions, she orders coconut cream pies from the daughter.  They are wonderful!  You can find the recipe posted by GMA, but it also wouldn't surprise me if there's a secret (ingredient, technique) that isn't included in the recipe.  Heck, I'd probably do that if I had an award winning recipe!

Thanks again for sharing your trip and experiences.
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 710
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/26 20:18:26 (permalink)
As I mentioned above, we remained in Kansas City for our final day before having to head home. The day included two more museums, but only one meal worth including here. Neither of us felt like straying far from the hotel at night. We wound up walking to a nearby Chinese restaurant for dinner. 

But lunch was a trip highlight and I wanted to make sure we arrived at our lunch destination before the lines got too bad, so we set out early for our first museum stop of the day: the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, which was part of a museum complex that included a jazz museum. As with all of the other museums, it was very worthwhile. The museum wound around in a circle around a model baseball field that periodically came back into vision.

The photo is a bit blurry, but Octavius Catto, who lived during the mid to late 19th century, was just honored with a statue next to Philadelphia's city hall today. There was a large turnout.

We left the museum and made the short ride over to Arthur Bryant's for lunch. Besides Jack Stack, which we had the gift card for, I was initially learning towards making Kansas City Joe's at the gas station in Kansas City, KS, my second barbecue stop if I could only make two. But I changed my mind in the end and decided it would bother me more if I missed Arthur Bryant's. I had read on here that A.B. had gone downhill for some years but that they had improved more recently, so I was guardedly optimistic that I'd like it. My initial ordering plan didn't work out. I had hoped to be able to get small amounts of a few types of meat on a tray. In the Texas barbecue belt, they generally will let you order by the quarter-pound. But when I asked the guy taking our order, he said that the minimum was a half-pound per meat. I didn't have a big enough appetite at that point in the trip to eat a massive amount of meat, so I improvised and went with a short end of spare ribs with a side of baked beans. It turned out to be a good decision because the ribs were fantastic. They had a nice amount of smoke and were perfectly done. The baked beans were also great. It's a close call as to which barbecue place I went to made better beans. 

Our final activity of the trip was a visit to the National World War I museum. As I mentioned in an earlier post. This is a spectacular museum. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a museum more. The sheer volume of things they have is amazing. There are weapons of all kinds, gas masks, uniforms, and a seemingly endless amount of posters from various countries, most of them propaganda posters or requests to buy war bonds. The museum is next to an older monument that is up on top of a large hill across from Union Station. I would advise anyone who goes to the museum to drive unless you are in good shape and used to climbing large hills. We walked it on a very hot and humid day and we were drenched and in need of a rest in the museum café when we made it to the top. I didn't see anyone else walking up like we did. I assume most people are aware of the situation and drive. 
The first couple shots are of the older monument. You can go up in that, but we didn't. There is also a separate room devoted to posters next to the base of the monument.

The U.S. is drawn into the war when it is discovered that Germany tried to encourage Mexico to invade us in an effort to bog us down and keep us out of the European war.

A model of a trench:

These are from the poster room next to the base of the monument:

And a final shot from the balcony next to the monument:

As far as what we did and saw, the biggest trip highlight was definitely the WWI museum, although the two presidential museums and the one devoted to Churchill were also very memorable for me.
If I had to pick a biggest food highlight of the trip, it was probably the coconut-cream pie at the Sommerset Hall Café. Other highlights were the ribs at Arthur Bryant's, the malts at Town Topic and Winstead's and the beans at both barbecue places. And I'll throw the burger at Town Topic in there. It wasn't quite one of my favorites, but it was very enjoyable and really hit the spot that first night were in Kansas City.

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/26 22:39:50 (permalink)
Great stuff.....thanks for a really good trip report!
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8819
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 04:36:03 (permalink)
Loved this report. Thanks so much. Would have been hard to drag me out of those museums! Wen to Arthur Bryant's once,decades ago. Loved it!
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8006
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 08:08:25 (permalink)
Great report, Maestro...an excellent blend of food and education!

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 08:09:53 (permalink)
Thanks for the comments!

I'm having a good year of sampling regional barbecue after many years of just looking at photos online. Last October, we went to Austin and the surrounding area. And in a couple weeks, I'm probably going down to North Carolina. I'm somewhat skeptical that I'll like that style of barbecue as I'm not nuts about vinegar. But I intend to at least try some Lexington-style pork while down there.  Then I'll need to get to Memphis at some point, which could also turn into a side-trip to Arkansas to see the state capitol in Little Rock (we've already been to Nashville).

I'm also dreaming of a trip that will take us to St. Paul, Des Moines and Lincoln with stops in the surrounding areas and along the way between the three capitals (I'm thinking loosemeat country). That may have to wait two or three years as we have other things planned for the next year to year-and-a-half.

post edited by phlmaestro - 2017/09/27 08:11:11
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8006
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 08:12:41 (permalink)
phlmaestro
And in a couple weeks, I'm probably going down to North Carolina. I'm somewhat skeptical that I'll like that style of barbecue as I'm not nuts about vinegar.

Do you have a big enough suitcase to take Davidsanders along?
phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 08:24:58 (permalink)
Ha! Yes, but it might have to go in the back of my friend's pickup. 

My thought was that we'd pass right by Lexington on our way to Charlotte for the Eagles-Panthers game, which is being played on a Thursday night. We're leaving early Thursday morning. But my online research of routes leads me to believe it might be wise to take 81 to 77 instead. It is the least direct of the three routes we could take from the Philly area, but it looks like it would involve the least amount of traffic and hopefully fewer construction zones. We'll be on a pretty tight schedule. I reached this conclusion last night after days of planning for a different route and making up a list of places to stop. I could go back to the Southern Kitchen now, but found it a little disappointing when I was there a couple years ago. There are a few other options along 81 in Virginia. Or we could just leave absurdly early and deal with the traffic of the more direct route (95 to 85 or even taking 29). My friend will be driving. I guess it will be up to him ultimately. I'll have to have two or three alternate restaurant lists ready. 

ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 08:36:29 (permalink)
Austin...my kinda bbq, my kinda town...

Carolina Que is good when it's on, really bad when it's not.  I've to much dried, left overs to rank this up there.  
post edited by ChiTownDiner - 2017/09/27 11:07:19
Davidsanders
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 09:24:48 (permalink)
phlmaestro
Thanks for the comments!

I'm having a good year of sampling regional barbecue after many years of just looking at photos online. Last October, we went to Austin and the surrounding area. And in a couple weeks, I'm probably going down to North Carolina. I'm somewhat skeptical that I'll like that style of barbecue as I'm not nuts about vinegar. But I intend to at least try some Lexington-style pork while down there.  Then I'll need to get to Memphis at some point, which could also turn into a side-trip to Arkansas to see the state capitol in Little Rock (we've already been to Nashville).

I'm also dreaming of a trip that will take us to St. Paul, Des Moines and Lincoln with stops in the surrounding areas and along the way between the three capitals (I'm thinking loosemeat country). That may have to wait two or three years as we have other things planned for the next year to year-and-a-half.

If you go to Little Rock you should definitely make the one hour trip to Hot Springs for McClard's and Stubby's.
David

phlmaestro
Double Cheeseburger
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 09:49:23 (permalink)
Davidsanders
If you go to Little Rock you should definitely make the one hour trip to Hot Springs for McClard's and Stubby's.
David

That would definitely be on my wish list. At the very least, we could make it to Devalls Bluff. Due to vision problems, I don't do much driving (can't drive at night or in bright sunshine), so I'm almost always at least partially at the mercy of the person driving.
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12012
Re: K.C. With Side Trips to Central Missouri and Kansas 2017/09/27 10:12:26 (permalink)
phlmaestro-
Loved this report and thank you for the kind words.  I have been searching for my photos from Sommerset Hall Café, but those along with quite a few others seem to be missing.  Just glad to hear that you had such a good experience there.  Once I find those photos, I will get those posted.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5