Helpful ReplyKansas City

Author
Davidsanders
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1217
2015/10/06 18:22:12 (permalink)

Kansas City

I know I've asked this before. I'll be in Kansas City for two days, plus a third night in a couple of weeks. I'm staying at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center.

The places I'm leaning towards going are:

Monday: Gates. I know Gates is not as highly recommended as some of the others, but I'm arriving at 9:30 p.m., and it's the only place that I could find that's open late (until midnight). 

Tuesday: Slaps for lunch; Jack Stack for dinner. My concert is about 1/2 mile from Stack's. The concert's at 9 and the restaurant is open until 10.

Wednesday: Oklahoma Joe's for an early lunch; Bryant's for a late lunch; Stroud's for dinner. I'm not sure if I should do this or not. It might be just too much to eat. I'll also try to get to he Upper Crust Pie Bakery on Wednesday. They're not open on the other days I'm there, but I might not have room.

I had also been considering LC's and Q39, but I just can't fit them in.

I was wondering if I should save Stroud's for another trip and just concentrate on barbecue. 

I think I had seen Niecie's for recommended for breakfast, but I probably won't want to eat too much breakfast with what will be coming during the day. Does anyone have a recommendation for a great biscuit in Kansas City, or should I just hold out for Sunrise Biscuits in Chapel Hill (where I'll be at the end of the week).

And for something to do other than eat: 
National World War I Museum

So, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 1504
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/06 18:37:20 (permalink)
I cannot imagine going to Kansas City and not eating at Strouds.  But that is because I love fried chicken more than I love KC barbecue, and when I'm in Kansas City, i never seem to have time for both.

If you'll be at the Westin Crown Center, I always recommend a stroll through Hall's department store, which is extremely nice.  I have never gone through it without purchasing something.  I still wear a silk blouse I got there at least 15 years ago.  The store reminds me of what Marshall Field's was like in its glory days (although this is a much smaller store). Their gourmet shop has (or had, the last time I was there) the delectable Andre's Swiss chocolates, and I always buy a box to take home.  
plb
  • Total Posts : 1193
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/06 22:09:22 (permalink)
Just be careful about the timing with Jack Stack since you have plans for later that night. The last time I was there the line was out the door before 7:00.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9297
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/06 22:15:07 (permalink)
When we ate at the Country Club Plaza location of Jack Stack last year we encountered the same kind of wait for a table, but received immediate service at the bar.
Davidsanders
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/06 22:28:31 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
When we ate at the Country Club Plaza location of Jack Stack last year we encountered the same kind of wait for a table, but received immediate service at the bar.

I'm hoping there won't be a long wait at 9:15-9:30.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 451
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/06 22:33:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 1bbqboy 2015/10/07 14:07:04
don't know why, all the other bbq places mentioned are better than jack stack. not worth the wait.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6644
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/07 05:09:59 (permalink)
Nothing wrong with Gates, it's just a matter of ordering the right items.  Avoid the Ribs, they are the skinniest bones I have ever laid eyes on.  A better choice would be Sliced Brisket or Burnt Ends with a side of Beans and Fries.  I've been meaning to try their Mutton, but not every location serves it.

Plan on getting to SLAPS (Squeal Like A Pig, for the uninitiated) early.  They are part of this new breed of Greasehouse that smokes up just so much 'Que and when it's gone, they're done for the day (Bogart's in St. Louis and of course Franklin BBQ in Austin operate the same way).  Meats were very good, sides were EXCELLENT!  Be sure to try the Potato Casserole, deadly but totally worth it.  Beware the sauce: one of their varieties (I forget which) is VERY sweet.

As far as I'm concerned, Oklahoma Joe's (now called KC Joe's) has been highly overrated since day one. i don't think there's enough smoke flavor in any of their meats, the sides are average at best, and I think they're overpriced.  Other than that, it's great stuff.

If you can't get to LC's, focus on Bryant's.  After a very disappointing meal several years ago, our visit last Christmas was rather encouraging.  Decent meats, good sides, iconic 'Que atmosphere.

All that being said, if Stroud's is a priority (and it should be), it needs to be enjoyed in a comfortable state of mind and body.  In other words, you don't want to sit down to one of the best Fried Chicken Dinners of your life all bloated and engorged from eating mediocre Barbecue.  Skip KC Joe's, eat early and modestly at Bryant's (if such a thing is possible), then sit down at Stroud's slightly hungry.  You'll be glad you did.

Not much I can tell you about breakfast as it is not a "priority meal" for me.  We've seen a small local chain popping up around town that fancies itself to be modeled on the classic Southern Diner in terms of its menu and ambiance.  Never eaten there, can't even remember what it's called, but I believe the word "biscuit" is part of the name.

The WW I Museum is a tremendous space.  Admission ain't cheap, but if you're a history buff, it's well worth it.  Also consider The Arabia Steamboat Museum.  The Arabia sank in the Missouri River in 1856.  It was dredged up in 1991 and has been restored (ongoing) as a museum.

Finally, are you performing at the new Kaufman Center for the Performing Arts?  I've never been to a performance there, but I take photos of the remarkable architecture every time we're in town.  Last year, I wandered into an unlocked door and meandered about the lobby area.  A staff member spotted me, and instead of tossing me out right away, she gave me a quick tour.  It is an absolutely beautiful performance space.  I think you will love playing there.

Have a great trip!

Buddy
Davidsanders
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/07 07:39:00 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Nothing wrong with Gates, it's just a matter of ordering the right items.  Avoid the Ribs, they are the skinniest bones I have ever laid eyes on.  A better choice would be Sliced Brisket or Burnt Ends with a side of Beans and Fries.  I've been meaning to try their Mutton, but not every location serves it.

Plan on getting to SLAPS (Squeal Like A Pig, for the uninitiated) early.  They are part of this new breed of Greasehouse that smokes up just so much 'Que and when it's gone, they're done for the day (Bogart's in St. Louis and of course Franklin BBQ in Austin operate the same way).  Meats were very good, sides were EXCELLENT!  Be sure to try the Potato Casserole, deadly but totally worth it.  Beware the sauce: one of their varieties (I forget which) is VERY sweet.

As far as I'm concerned, Oklahoma Joe's (now called KC Joe's) has been highly overrated since day one. i don't think there's enough smoke flavor in any of their meats, the sides are average at best, and I think they're overpriced.  Other than that, it's great stuff.

If you can't get to LC's, focus on Bryant's.  After a very disappointing meal several years ago, our visit last Christmas was rather encouraging.  Decent meats, good sides, iconic 'Que atmosphere.

All that being said, if Stroud's is a priority (and it should be), it needs to be enjoyed in a comfortable state of mind and body.  In other words, you don't want to sit down to one of the best Fried Chicken Dinners of your life all bloated and engorged from eating mediocre Barbecue.  Skip KC Joe's, eat early and modestly at Bryant's (if such a thing is possible), then sit down at Stroud's slightly hungry.  You'll be glad you did.

Not much I can tell you about breakfast as it is not a "priority meal" for me.  We've seen a small local chain popping up around town that fancies itself to be modeled on the classic Southern Diner in terms of its menu and ambiance.  Never eaten there, can't even remember what it's called, but I believe the word "biscuit" is part of the name.

The WW I Museum is a tremendous space.  Admission ain't cheap, but if you're a history buff, it's well worth it.  Also consider The Arabia Steamboat Museum.  The Arabia sank in the Missouri River in 1856.  It was dredged up in 1991 and has been restored (ongoing) as a museum.

Finally, are you performing at the new Kaufman Center for the Performing Arts?  I've never been to a performance there, but I take photos of the remarkable architecture every time we're in town.  Last year, I wandered into an unlocked door and meandered about the lobby area.  A staff member spotted me, and instead of tossing me out right away, she gave me a quick tour.  It is an absolutely beautiful performance space.  I think you will love playing there.

Have a great trip!

Buddy

Buddy, thank you so much for the excellent advice. I'm planning on getting to Slap's at about 10:30. 

Yes, we're playing at the Kaufman Center. I've heard it is a wonderful new concert hall. I'm looking forward to playing there.

David

1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5895
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/07 10:32:46 (permalink)
You'll be by the Freighthouse Jack Stack location. Why go to the Plaza?
As far as breakfast, You Say Tomato  is just a few blocks from CC- | Just another WordPress.com site
edit: I reread your OP and realize you do want to go to the freighthouse location of JackStack.
post edited by 1bbqboy - 2015/10/08 16:00:10
buffetbuster
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 12604
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/08 13:30:40 (permalink)
There will never be a trip to Kansas City for me without at least one visit to Stroud's.  It is one of the all-time greats.  And you mentioned Upper Crust Pie, which is also terrific!
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7503
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/08 15:14:52 (permalink)
I agree with you cliff every trip to KC has to have a stop at Strouds.
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5895
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/08 16:02:05 (permalink)
The North location has a lot more ambiance and history.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/08 19:12:29 (permalink)
the north location is the best. when I was a kid it was a German restaurant called Sandy's. we went there often as they were my great grand parents friends. the old house hasn't changed one bit.  
Davidsanders
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 00:07:00 (permalink)
kennyb
the north location is the best. when I was a kid it was a German restaurant called Sandy's. we went there often as they were my great grand parents friends. the old house hasn't changed one bit.  

I'm not sure which is the north location, but the one I'm planning on is at 5410 NE Oak Ridge Drive. I think it's the one with the best hours for me.

CajunKing
Sirloin
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 00:17:43 (permalink)
David

To tell you how good Strouds is I once flew from rochester ny to KC had dinner at strouds and flew back to Rochester that night with a carry on full of cinnamon rolls.
Davidsanders
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 02:05:05 (permalink)
CajunKing
David

To tell you how good Strouds is I once flew from rochester ny to KC had dinner at strouds and flew back to Rochester that night with a carry on full of cinnamon rolls.

Fantastic! 
CNW
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 05:45:29 (permalink)
As far as a decent breakfast goes, there are two places a short walk from your hotel. Succotash and You Say Tomato are both about 4 blocks east and a couple of blocks south of the Crown Center Hotel. Of the two, I prefer Succotash. Great fresh juices and breakfast food. It has been featured on DD&D. A few reviews on Yelp and Urbanspoon have questioned the cleanliness, but I haven't notice an issue myself and I am an ex restaurant manager.

As far as going to Slaps, effective today Slaps will be staying open for dinner. They bought a second smoker and expect to be able to stay open until 8pm nightly. I can't disagree with any of your planned stops. Stroud's is a must, besides your palate will thank you for the break from BBQ.

I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute now. This is for everyone visiting Kansas City for more than a day. I understand that we are known for our BBQ, Fried Chicken, and Steaks, however we are now one of the hottest cities for food in the nation especially farm to table and nose to tail. Here in Kansas City, a dollar goes a lot farther. A meal that would run you more than $200.00 in Chicago and New York, would run you less than half that in Kansas City. Please consider visiting one of our fine dining restaurants during your stay. Off the soapbox now.

CNW 
rumaki
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 09:32:03 (permalink)

Please consider visiting one of our fine dining restaurants during your stay.

Like which ones?  (Sincere question.) I'm not at all knowledgeable beyond Stroud's, Niecie's, and the late lamented Mrs. Peters in Kansas City, Kansas, unless you count the one time I ended up in a Japanese restaurant in Crown Center.  I know of Lidia's Restaurant from PBS, but that's been around a long time.  (I ate at Felidia in NYC a few years ago; it was very good, but not so stunning that I've rushed back.) 
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 12:19:03 (permalink)
Davidsanders
kennyb

I'm not sure which is the north location, but the one I'm planning on is at 5410 NE Oak Ridge Drive. I think it's the one with the best hours for me.

That is in fact the north location.  Be sure to program your GPS or bring a good map.  You'll find out why.

Buddy
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 12:34:52 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Davidsanders
kennyb

That is in fact the north location.  Be sure to program your GPS or bring a good map.  You'll find out why.

Buddy

My GPS english speaking voice kept telling me to do a u turn, and then finally told me to find it myself she quit!  
post edited by CajunKing - 2015/10/09 12:35:56
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 19:26:12 (permalink)
It's pretty remote, but well worth the effort.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9297
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/09 22:25:46 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Exit the interstate, cross the highway, hang a right and 2 minutes later you're there.
BuddyRoadhouse
Sirloin
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/10 03:22:16 (permalink)
Yeah, it looks that way on a map, but it's on a dark and winding frontage road with kind of odd access.  If you didn't know it was there you'd think you were lost.

Buddy
rumaki
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/10 12:17:33 (permalink)
I don't have GPS, but in recent years I got a Mapquest map which worked fine.  My first visit to Stroud's North, many years ago, driving up there from Crown Center in the dark, with a friend who was also from out of town, required both of  us to use a detailed paper map, as well as stop and ask for directions.

I think it is much easier to go to the location in Fairway, if you are going to/from the airport, especially from Country Club Plaza. The ambience isn't as good, though the food is. 

kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re: Kansas City 2015/10/13 19:41:14 (permalink)
a bit of a drive but no one ever mentions chicken annies or chicken marys. good stuff
Jump to:
© 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5