Kansas city

Author
dgeorge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
2004/04/13 10:54:43 (permalink)

Kansas city

I am going to Kansas City for a weekend and want to have a BBQ extravaganza does anyone have any suggestion outside the norm, Arthur Bryants , Gates , etc.

18 Replies Related Threads

MaryB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 11:27:56 (permalink)
    Jack Stack's is awesome for BBQ, if you want to try something new and different. KC also has some great places for steaks, here are a few:

Herefrod House Downtown-not suburbanized, still authentic!
    Plaza Three at Country Club Plaza
    Golden OX-Genesee Street

Happy eating!
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 11:56:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dgeorge

I am going to Kansas City for a weekend and want to have a BBQ extravaganza does anyone have any suggestion outside the norm, Arthur Bryants , Gates , etc.

You might want to go check out the other Roadfood thread. You can find it at:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2079

That thread is on fried chicken in KC.

John
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5389
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 12:06:33 (permalink)
    .Kansas City is filled with BBQ. Fiorella's is a good place for a feast because of the lamb ribs. Haven't ever been to the one by Union Station, but many times to the original. BB's Lawnside and Grand Emporium mix Music and Q. Tony Bourdain went to Oklahoma Joe's for his TV show on BBQ.- It's at county line and mission Rd. Originally a Western Auto and Skelly station. There's Rosedale, and Quick's Haywards; LC's is considered cream of the crop right now, but my friend back there goes to the Lenexa location instead of east 50 hwy. Rent a car and do a Q tour.
    ...check this out:

http://gasbbq.net
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 12:11:38 (permalink)
    I ate at "Jack Stack" (full name "Fiorella's Jack Stack) Sunday, and confirmed my impression that it is the best Kansas City has to offer. The "Combo" meal for 2 with ribs, sliced beef, sliced ham, coleslaw, beans, fries and Texas toast makes a fantastic meal (and will probably still call for a box to carry out). Their beans are the best I've had, the sweet coleslaw is unbeatable and the Q is outstanding. The location I like is the one behind Union Station, near the Weston & Hyatt at Crown Center, and just a block away from another favorite, the "Hereford House" for steaks.

For "burnt ends", I recommend "Snead's" just West of Belton.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 12:30:17 (permalink)
    I'm envious. Nothing around here approaches that experience. BBQ in Southern Oregon is in the beginning stages, with a few startups, but no long time establishments. It's what I miss most about not living in KC anymore.
    kpasley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 12:57:57 (permalink)
    I agree with the others about Jack Stack, although we have been finding the quality at Rosedale a little spotty lately (the meat is sometimes overly fatty, not too tender). (Although it's probably worth the risk for that clove- -- or is it allspice? -- sented sauce.)

Two others I would heartily recommend are the former "Lil Jake's Eat It and Beat It" (now Danny Edwards, I believe) at 1227 Grand in KCMO and Oklahoma Joe's at 2850 West 47th Street in KCK. The latter has more selection and, perhaps, more culinary pretensions than your typical barbecue joint, but the fact that it's located in a (very large)convenience store offsets any hoity-toitiness. The beans are stellar, a mix of pinto, black, and probably others that are not too sweet. The cole slaw at both places is fresh and delicious, and again, not cloyingly sweet.

Although KC is first and foremost a beef town, the pulled pork at both establishments is very good, and ham (another frequent KC menu item) is also done very well. Enjoy your time in KC!

Karen in Columbia, MO
    kpasley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 12:59:57 (permalink)
    Oops, that would be "scented," not sented.

Karen, an editor by trade, in Columbia, MO
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/13 13:08:40 (permalink)
    Arthur Bryant’s was by far the worst BBQ I have ever had. The ribs were tough and were chopped through the bones leaving little shards. The brisket was sliced thin like lunchmeat, had no flavor and was doused by what tasted like red vinegar.

I rank it #1 in rankness!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 994
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/16 10:42:45 (permalink)
    I passed by my old favorite, the "Hereford House", last night to try the "Golden Ox" since I have seen it recommended so often. MISTAKE!! The baked potato had obviously been re-heated (probably several times), a "medium" filet was nearly rare, a "medium rare" rib eye was nearly well done. Service was good, but the $90 tab for 2 steaks and 2 drinks (which were good) should have bought much better food.
    I will stay with "Hereford House" in the future.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10157
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/16 11:12:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly

I passed by my old favorite, the "Hereford House", last night to try the "Golden Ox" since I have seen it recommended so often. MISTAKE!! The baked potato had obviously been re-heated (probably several times), a "medium" filet was nearly rare, a "medium rare" rib eye was nearly well done. Service was good, but the $90 tab for 2 steaks and 2 drinks (which were good) should have bought much better food.
    I will stay with "Hereford House" in the future.

That's a shame, because when I went there 4 years ago it was outstanding. In fact the Golden Ox made Peter Luger's look like the Ponderosa!
    hatteras04
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1291
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/16 13:05:59 (permalink)
    Hereford house is a must. But if you're in the mood for a burger and a milkshake, check out Calvin Trillin's favorite - Winstead's. I don't think I would go so far as to call it the best hamburger in the world like he does, but it was a good filler between barbecue and steak places.
    Bill B.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/16 13:06:30 (permalink)
    Actually, the Golden Ox went out of business a few months ago, then reopened under new ownership. This was the first report I've read about it since then. Doesn't sound too promising.

My parents like the Smokestack (Jack's Stack) in Martin City. I'm not crazy about it, mostly because I dislike ANY barbecue that takes a spin through a microwave before it's served at a table. The last time I ate at the Smokestack, the cooking crew was giving the nuker a real workout.

Plus, I sort of equate good barbecue with a dirty-floored hellhole sort of environment. Jack's Stack is just too clean and middle class for my taste.

For an interesting combination of middle class with hellhole, try the 'Q at Oklahoma Joe's. It's really good stuff, and super popular.

Bill (Also in Columbia)
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/16 15:19:01 (permalink)
    Fiorellas is one of the best. But on the Kansas side of K.C. there is a little town called Wellsville. The place is known as Smokey's B.B.Q., it is located on main st. It is an old fashioned Kansas town. One main st. Smokey's is very country simple with excellent B.B.Q.

Also I know you want B.B.Q., but you may want to stop at Stroud's for the best restaurant Chicken/Mashed Potatoes in the Western World.

xpdog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/18 09:30:33 (permalink)
    Back in the 50's there was a BBQ joint in KC ran by a African American family. It was the best BBQ I have ever had, they gave it to you wrapped in old newspapers. No frills just good food! Does anyone else remember this place
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/23 12:48:12 (permalink)
    That sounds like half the places I grew up eatin' at. My guess is it was Bryant's, but could also have been Boyd's, the Q joint I miss most, at 59h and Prospect. Mr. Boyd was a trained chef who applied his considerable skills to Q, to the betterment of all who ever ate there. My mother, now almost 86, still calls Arthur Bryants Charlie Bryants, since it was Arthur's brother who actually took the stand over from Henry Perry. Her memory is of Slabs wrapped in newspapers, like you, which would fit the New Orleans to KC influence of Mr. Perry.
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/23 13:34:10 (permalink)
    I wanted to throw in a few more places for the esteemed Mr. Hillbilly; Stepenson's Apple Farm,
    http://www.stephensons.bigstep.com/hompage.html ,on east 40 Hwy, is an exceptional place started by two brothers who owned an apple orchard and needed an outlet for their fruit. Not for those on the Atkins diet. Peachtree Buffet. Soul food extravaganza.
    http://www.peachtreekansascity.com Same atkins diet warning applies. Garozzo's, though not for Pizza, is exceptional
    Italian food. Try the 5th & Harrison location. Also Jasper's, now at 103rd and state Line, Mobil award winner always. Fritz's meats; right by Jasper's. Saugage Makers extrordinare(I'm Biased 'cuz I went to school with them. I also went to school with the Quicks, so I'm prevented from extolling their virtues too much, but good white BBQ. (meaning milder) Rosedale I've eaten at since I was a baby, often after A's or Royals games.
    Check out the inner Southwest Boulevard dining area for some interesting cheap, and not so cheap, food. have a boulevard beer on me.
    Andre's confectioners, 50th and Main. World class pastries and chocolates. Town Topic for KC's essential burger. As an aside,
    check out chowhound/midwest board and KCJane, M. Toast, and ZeemanB will show you a good time. Tell 'em billy52 sent you.
    Wishing I was sittin' at a counter there; Bill in much too healthy southern Oregon
    janiejaneo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/29 17:39:32 (permalink)
    I haven't thought about Town Topic aka "Town Toxic" in years. I ate there so often in high school!!! Fabulous burgers, although Winstead's has more locations in better parts of town.

Let me throw in a pitch for Snead's which used to be out in the country but isn't anymore, it's south of Martin City near Belton - it rarely gets mentioned but I crave their beef brownies (burnt ends) and I live in Texas now!!! The free sample cut they give you at the pit when you order at Luling's City Market or Mueller's in Taylor is as close as it gets down here. I guess they figure nobody wants to eat just the burnt ends, but they're definitely worth a try.

If you want to clog your arteries with something besides BBQ, Stroud's in the natural choice. Their pan-fried chicken is divine.

Okay, it's time to plan a trip back home!!!!!
    1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    RE: Kansas city 2004/04/29 18:13:15 (permalink)
    hey Janie, ..... you'll enjoy this.
    http://www.chowhound.com/midwest/boards/midwest/messages/11736.html
    lots of talk in these parts about KC, and Texas, and other great chow locations.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5