Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston

Author
BayouCityNosh
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
2018/12/14 13:06:55 (permalink)

Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston

I'm a hot dog aficionado, particularly eager to check out natural casing dogs, which are only slightly less rare than Super Bowl trophies in Houston. So when I came across this I made plans to check it out.

Most of the options  are over garnished for my tastes.  I prefer a simply dressed dog.   I opted for the Sweet & Saucy and got the sauce on the side.  I've only had a Sabrett's with onion sauce once; I liked the sausage, bought a pound from the shop before I left, but didn't care for the onion sauce and preferred the option to pass it up completely. 

The frank was very tasty; it reminded me of a Sabrett's but it had almost no snap.  If I hadn't read this was a natural casing dog, I would have guessed it was skinless.  Disappointing.  The lightly toasted bun split in two completely the 3rd time I picked it up.  I imagine one of those other dogs with pastrami or corned beef would have been a real mess.

I spooned the onion sauce on as I went and I really liked it.  It went well on the fries, too.  I used some of the house branded deli mustard on some of the dog.  that's good stuff, too.

The fries themselves, however, were lackluster, not fresh out of the fryer, not crispy, unseasoned.  I brought about half of them home for a second hot oil bath for breakfast this morning.

Overall I was disappointed.  I had hoped this would be a real winner.  I'm kind of interested in the Queso-Ra-Sera dog, though, may go back to try that.

Kenny & Ziggy's

P.S. In the slide show in the linked article in the first paragraph are some other hot dog options in Houston, some of which I'll be getting to.  Happy Fatz and Rico's are both closed.
post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/12/14 13:13:24

15 Replies Related Threads

phlmaestro
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1069
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/14 14:07:44 (permalink)
    If I ever get back to Houston, Kenny & Ziggy's is near the top of my list of places to try; but for the corned beef or pastrami rather than a hot dog.

Ziggy Gruber, one of the owners and I believe the main chef, is the closest thing to a lead star in the documentary about Jewish Deli called Deli Man that came out a few years ago.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10288
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/14 14:29:20 (permalink)
    Their hotdog looks generic...I'm a fan, however of the Sabrett's onions and probably would have loved them!
    BayouCityNosh
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/14 17:28:48 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    If I ever get back to Houston, Kenny & Ziggy's is near the top of my list of places to try; but for the corned beef or pastrami rather than a hot dog.

Ziggy Gruber, one of the owners and I believe the main chef, is the closest thing to a lead star in the documentary about Jewish Deli called Deli Man that came out a few years ago.

Bring a big appetite or someone to share with - those sandwiches are huge, but that's undoubtedly a better way to go.  I'd never paid any attention to the dogs at K&Z until I saw the article and judging by the photo galleries for both locations on Yelp, neither does anyone else.

Sad to say though, about half my visits have been lackluster, like this one.

Plan on going to the original Post Oak location; you're more likely to see Ziggy there.  i go to the second location because of less traffic and easier parking.

It's Ziggy's place.  Kenny is just an investor.
    post edited by BayouCityNosh - 2018/12/14 17:30:01
    BayouCityNosh
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/14 17:32:11 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Their hotdog looks generic...I'm a fan, however of the Sabrett's onions and probably would have loved them!

Good observation.  I am reminded that John Fox lists the claim of a custom made wiener as one of the biggest lies told by hot dog vendors.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/14 19:01:41 (permalink)
    BayouCityNosh
    leethebard

Good observation.  I am reminded that John Fox lists the claim of a custom made wiener as one of the biggest lies told by hot dog vendors.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9231
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/15 09:40:51 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    If I ever get back to Houston,

You'll need some traveling music:

phlmaestro
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/16 19:38:27 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken
    phlmaestro

I went there a little over 20 years ago. It was right before I started getting interested in Roadfood and discovered this site, so I didn't know where to go for food, but I'm almost certain the person I was visiting took me to Goode Co. for barbecue. I believe I had brisket.
    mar52
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 12194
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/17 00:58:09 (permalink)
    Great report!  I think that hot dog looks great, but I'd miss the snap.  Mustard and onion sauce for me would be perfect.

You don't see onion sauce in many place in California.
    BayouCityNosh
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/18 17:20:20 (permalink)
    mar52
    Great report!  I think that hot dog looks great, but I'd miss the snap.  Mustard and onion sauce for me would be perfect.

You don't see onion sauce in many place in California.

I've been able to get Sabrett's pretty dependably for some time at Central Market and there's one place (a Greek Restaurant in a gas station) that serves Sabrett's but neither has the onion sauce as far as i know.
    BayouCityNosh
    Cheeseburger
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/18 17:28:45 (permalink)
    phlmaestro
    ScreamingChicken
    phlmaestro

I went there a little over 20 years ago. It was right before I started getting interested in Roadfood and discovered this site, so I didn't know where to go for food, but I'm almost certain the person I was visiting took me to Goode Co. for barbecue. I believe I had brisket.

Goode Co. has long been the most well-known for the tourist trade.  If the dining room was overrun with Texas kitsch and the brisket was sliced deli-thin, that's probably where you were.  Luling City Market, Pappas (multiple locations), Luther's, a popular chain that was bought out by Pappas, Gabby's, or Lennox, a very old school place on the east side, would have been the other usual suspects.  If your friend was a barbecue fanatic, he might have known of Williams Smokehouse or Dozier's in Fulshear.

You can do a lot better than any of those, now.
    phlmaestro
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/18 21:54:05 (permalink)
    BayouCityNosh
    You can do a lot better than any of those, now.

As far as I can recall, that visit to Goode Co. was the first time I ever had real barbecue. I was shocked to discover that brisket wasn't only something Jewish grandmothers made. I had been eating it my entire life, but it never tasted anything like what I had that day.
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2018/12/18 21:55:50
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1228
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2018/12/31 11:01:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, hot dogs seem to be making inroads here in Texas. I mean we had them in the past, but now whole places dedicated to dogs  are appearing.There's a place in San Antonio called The Dogfather. They have a website and serve up fancy garnished hot dogs. Might try them one for the novelty of it.
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2347
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2019/01/02 09:20:14 (permalink)
    The hot dogs here are Sabrett.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5766
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2019/01/02 18:12:27 (permalink)
    Thankfully, Central Market here in Dallas also sells Sabrett's "skin on" dogs. They also sell Sabrett's onion sauce. Which for this old New Yawker, tastes nothing like what was served on the Sabrett carts in the city.

Dallas' Central Market also sells what are (arguably) the best brand of NYC Kosher Garlic Dill Pickles, deli mustard, sauerkraut, and pickled green tomatoes; Ba-Tempte.
    leethebard
    Porterhouse
    Re: Kenny & Ziggy's - Houston 2019/01/02 18:34:38 (permalink)
    Sabtett Natural casing, large boardwalk style dogs are amazing. The smaller skinless ones are what New Yorkers call "dirty water dogs", also good, but a totally different dog served after being boiled in water!
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5