Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware

Author
Phildelmar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1221
2017/01/07 13:02:20 (permalink)

Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware

Anyone have any good suggestions? Don't feel like going to Philadelphia and most of the good places in the Northeast there have closed

16 Replies Related Threads

acer2x
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/12 02:04:06 (permalink)
    The Avenue Deli in Lansdowne, Delaware County, PA(never been there) might be closer https://theavenuedeli.com/menu/
    but Famous 4th Street is the best "Jewish" non Kosher deli in Philly and one of the best in the country so why not  go there? 
    http://www.famous4thstreetdelicatessen.com

Phildelmar
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/12 11:05:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. Have been to 4th St. Lansdowne looks good. Still looking for something a bit closer.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/12 11:24:21 (permalink)
    I doubt they exist. There's hardly any left in NYC and the surrounding area. I just don't think you'll find any in Delaware. I know the older Roadfooders don't want to here this, but time has marched on and tastes have changed
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 22810
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/12 14:50:34 (permalink)
    wanderingjew
    I doubt they exist. There's hardly any left in NYC and the surrounding area. I just don't think you'll find any in Delaware. I know the older Roadfooders don't want to here this, but time has marched on and tastes have changed

And I'll bet there're at least two Jewish delicatessens in virtually every neighborhood in the five boroughs.
    wanderingjew
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10257
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/12 15:34:14 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman
    wanderingjew

And I'll bet there're at least two Jewish delicatessens in virtually every neighborhood in the five boroughs.

You are probably correct, although I don't think there are any on Staten Island. There is one in Queens that I know of, Ben's Best.  I visited back in 2007 and was disappointed. It wasn't very good. When you are talking millions ofpeople just in the Boroughs alone, a dozen deli's is a miniscule amount considering that decades ago, there were probably 2 d Jewish Deli's on every Brooklyn street corner.

edit

I took another look at your comment-Two in every neighborhood????!!! This isn't 1950, its 2017. I thought you meant in each borough.  I still stand by my previous comment. Two in each borough is probably realistic, maybe 3 or 4 for Brooklyn but that only makes up for the fact that there are none in Staten Island.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2017/01/13 08:00:38
    acer2x
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/13 00:40:29 (permalink)
    How about Ocean City, MD?

http://www.rosenfeldsjewishdeli.com/
    Phildelmar
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/13 10:03:09 (permalink)
    It's a stretch but worth a try. wish that good corn beef and pastrami didn't represent such a trip

eruby
    • Total Posts : 1061
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/13 13:24:47 (permalink)
    acer2x
    How about Ocean City, MD?

http://www.rosenfeldsjewishdeli.com/

Phildelmar, are you looking for actual 'kosher' of just 'kosher style'?

Rosenfelds looks good, but it is 'kosher style'.
    acer2x
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/14 14:35:24 (permalink)
    True "Kosher" delis are few these days. Even 2nd Ave  in NYC & Ben's Best in NYC & Florida, both "Kosher" are open on Shabbat even though they are "Kosher" They don't mix meat & dairy on their menus, hence no Ruebens or other meat sandwiches with cheese or cole slaw or other sides made with dairy products or other items that are not "Kosher." Both of these delis however have "Kashrut" certificates. 

A " Jewish" deli serves  all the typical meats- pastrami, corned beef, brisket, etc mixed with cheese if you so desire and other items on the menu that are not "Kosher" and these delis do not have a "Kashrut" certificate.

"Kosher style" is a misleading term and I am unfamiliar with a deli that uses that term. I think a deli that uses that term would be warned by the "Kosher" authorities in the area to discontinue or obtain a "Kashrut" certificate if possible. 
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 945
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/14 21:25:37 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

WJ speaks truth.  Heck, I could probably name 100 places from my youth in northern DE (particularly Italian sub shops) that are gone, primarily since the demographics and tastes of the area have changed so much.
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10323
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/14 21:47:20 (permalink)
    There are no kosher delis in Milwaukee anymore. Only Kosher style. The closest to a real kosher establishment is The Kosher Meat club and all their items are certified Kosher( yes there is such a thing as Kosher cheese buts its only sold prepackaged) I lived with my Kosher friend for 6 months and that's where we had to shop. He even had to get his Thanksgiving turkey there. True Kosher people are few and far between here, and that's where they shop primarily.
    eruby
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/15 09:01:08 (permalink)
    acer2x
    True "Kosher" delis are few these days. Even 2nd Ave  in NYC & Ben's Best in NYC & Florida, both "Kosher" are open on Shabbat even though they are "Kosher" They don't mix meat & dairy on their menus, hence no Ruebens or other meat sandwiches with cheese or cole slaw or other sides made with dairy products or other items that are not "Kosher." Both of these delis however have "Kashrut" certificates. 

A " Jewish" deli serves  all the typical meats- pastrami, corned beef, brisket, etc mixed with cheese if you so desire and other items on the menu that are not "Kosher" and these delis do not have a "Kashrut" certificate.

"Kosher style" is a misleading term and I am unfamiliar with a deli that uses that term. I think a deli that uses that term would be warned by the "Kosher" authorities in the area to discontinue or obtain a "Kashrut" certificate if possible. 

From Rosenfelds website:

"Welcome to Rosenfeld’s Jewish Delicatessen, located in Ocean City, Maryland. We are a traditional, kosher-style, full service Jewish deli restaurant, open year round."
    acer2x
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/15 12:30:26 (permalink)
    Re: "Kosher style"

Jews who adhere strictly to the laws of kashrut will not eat at kosher style establishments. Furthermore, the fact that such establishments appear to be kosher can be deceptive to Jews who are visiting an unfamiliar city and are looking for kosher food. Some of these establishments are also open on the Jewish sabbath for business when this is forbidden by Jewish Law. Others may choose to eat at such restaurants, but not consume meat or cheese at these restaurants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_style

Maybe I'm "old school" but it appears that "Kosher style" has crept into acceptable usage. To me, it's (or you are) either Kosher or not. I know some of my more observant Jewish friends keep Kosher at home but do not when dining out. That's why non Kosher delis are often referred to as "Jewish" or even "New York." C'est la vie. 
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/15 14:26:00 (permalink)
    Well, yes-Kosher style has been around for awhile now. At least here. Thanks for the education, but as I said-I lived "kosher" for 6 months. My friend who is Jewish, doesn't set foot in any restaurants or Kosher style delis. Ever. I really don't think Phildelmar was looking for a true Kosher deli-he was asking for something closer to his house as he stated that he had been at other Kosher style establishments further away.
    eruby
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/15 16:00:45 (permalink)
    acer2x, I wasn't trying to pick a fight.  You posted you'd never seen a deli use that term and I noted that it was used by the deli noted in your recommendation.

ann peoples, you may well be right that Phildelmar isn't looking for a Kosher deli, but that is what he put in the subject line, so IDK.

We keep strictly kosher at home (4 sets of dishes and cookware) but we only have 1 kitchen and eat non-kosher outside the home.  Like Doc Holliday, "my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

It's a good thing Jews don't go to hell or I'd need to lay in a big supply of SPF Hades sunscreen. 
    ann peeples
    Porterhouse
    Re: Kosher Deli in Northern Delaware 2017/01/15 20:43:18 (permalink)
    I based my statement, eruby, on the fact he had already been to Kosher style places and was looking for places closer to home. But, that's my take.
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5