Kugel

Author
laytonj1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
2006/01/07 10:19:26 (permalink)

Kugel

Can anyone shed some light on this dish? My husband and I ate at a place called The Brickery last night in Roswell/Sandy Springs, GA last night and they recommended this as a side item to his brisket. Is it a German dish? Our servere described it as noodles with sour cream, cinnamon and raisins. Are there other variations?

3 Replies Related Threads

Lurker
    • Total Posts : 0
    RE: Kugel 2006/01/07 11:01:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by laytonj1

Can anyone shed some light on this dish? My husband and I ate at a place called The Brickery last night in Roswell/Sandy Springs, GA last night and they recommended this as a side item to his brisket. Is it a German dish? Our servere described it as noodles with sour cream, cinnamon and raisins. Are there other variations?

Actually I responded on your previous thread.

Here is what i said.
    wonder if the there is a Jewish Influence at the Brickery. That is Noodle Kugel you are describing. Growing up on Long Island I was surrounded by Jewish Food everywhere and you didn't have to be Jewish to know what Kugel, or a knish or stuffed derma was. Just like someone else on another thread was "surprised" to find out that Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches were not a staple all over the country, I was just as surprised, or actually "shocked" to find out that the Jewish Staples that I grew up with were not familiar on a national basis.
    Yes, there are other variations, there is potato kugel, fruit kugel, spinach kugel and others too.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 23304
    RE: Kugel 2006/01/07 12:34:38 (permalink)
    My grandmother made great lukshen kugel. It's been 35 years since last I tasted it, but my tastebuds remember it well.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2953
    RE: Kugel 2006/01/11 01:58:17 (permalink)
    According to epicurious...

kugel
    [KOO-guhl]
    Traditionally served on the Jewish Sabbath, kugel is a baked pudding usually made with potatoes or noodles, though meat, vegetables and other ingredients are sometimes included. It's generally served as a side dish, though a sweet version with raisins and spices is equally delicious as dessert.

I make a great noodle kugel if you would like the recipe.

Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5