La Rocca's (Oregon, WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7907
2016/03/06 13:55:03 (permalink)

La Rocca's (Oregon, WI)

Last night my wife and I visited La Rocca's for the first time.  It's not a big place (7 tables/26 chairs inside, no bar area, outside deck for warmer weather) and we got there a little after 5, which turned out to be a good idea as it filled up pretty fast after 5:30.

At first we were going to have pizza but my wife liked the sound of the chicken & portobello ravioli special and Fettuccine alla Vito appealed to me so we decided to go the entree route, although we did wind up ordering a 10" sausage & mushroom pizza as well.  Additionally, we tried an arancina for the first time; I wasn't sure I'd like the idea of vegetables (peas & carrots) as part of the filling but was pleasantly surprised.  Dinner was overall very good and the only thing I would've liked to be different was the viscosity of the sauce on my pasta, as it seemed to collect in the bottom of the plate.  But the flavor was excellent.  Oh, and I should've asked for a spoon because Mrs. C didn't exactly approve of me scooping up and eating the sauce with a mussel shell.

It was a nice meal and I think we'll definitely return.  With a camera.

6 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11375
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/03/06 15:52:08 (permalink)
    Skip the spoon!  Use the mussel shell!  When I get moules frites I use the first empty mussel shell as a pair of tongs to get the other mussels out of their shells and also to retrieve the frite that I have soaking in the broth.  At the end I use a half shell to get the rest of the broth.  You don't need no stinkin spoon!

Sounds like you had a good meal!  Please don't forget the camera next time. 
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5703
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/03/06 16:41:43 (permalink)
    Skip the spoon and the shell!  Ask the waiter for a dang piece of bread.  You're in an Italian restaurant for crying out loud. Are you telling me they don't have a hunk of bread to soak up some sauce?  What kinda slipshod joint is this?

Sounds good.  Next time we're visiting the relatives in Madison, maybe we'll check it out.

Buddy
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/03/06 21:37:04 (permalink)
    By that point I'd eaten half of a deep-fried rice ball, a couple of slices of pizza, a plate of pasta, and the bread that came with dinner...the last thing I wanted was more starch!
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2745
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/03/18 04:58:01 (permalink)
    ^^disappointed in youse.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/08/20 10:15:58 (permalink)
    We made our second visit to La Rocca's a few weeks back, but unfortunately the menu was pared down because the owner/chef and his family were attending a wedding.

The entrance is the door to the right; IIRC a chiropractor occupies the office to the left.

The view from one of the corner tables.

Normally I drink in-state beers but since La Rocca's is owned and run by Italians I decided on an Italian beer.

Fortunately the limited menu still included arancini.  I wonder if it had been made ahead of time and then refrigerated, as the center was somewhat cool.  But the flavor was good and I really like the house red sauce.

With no specials and only a few pasta choices we decided to order pizza.  The sausage had a nice hint of fennel and the crust was very good as well.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8739
    Re: La Rocca's (Oregon, WI) 2016/08/20 11:15:26 (permalink)
    Pizza looks fine. Crust is perfect.
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5