Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu?

Author
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 782
2015/12/21 23:38:13 (permalink)

Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu?

Hi All,
Tomorrow we're starting our journey for Florida and plan to stay over in Owensboro, KY, in part so we can try out Moonlite BBQ. I've been reading a lot of praise on here for Moonlite's buffet, though props seem to go most for the weekend buffet, yet we'll be there on a Tuesday eve.
I haven't found much discussion regarding the merits of ordering the mutton BBQ off the menu versus having it from the buffet. Does it make little difference for best results? I know that usually it's best to order off the menu in places for freshest food, but if it doesn't make a difference here, then I would go for the buffet for variety. I also suppose that a buffet is good in case we don't like the mutton, but we both tend to order different things and split them between us.
So, anyhow, is the buffet necessarily recommended over the a la carte dishes?

Thanks for your help.

8 Replies Related Threads

Louis
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1299
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/22 09:17:46 (permalink)
    I don't know that it makes any difference.  It depends on what you want to eat.

When I want barbecue, I ask for a single serving of chopped barbecue mutton.  I want to experience the meat without any competition from any other food.

When I want variety, I go to the buffet.  One thing I always get when I go this route is the white corn.  To my palate, that is the stand-out vegetable on Moonlite's buffet.  As for the meat, I am not picky about what I eat, but what I do look for is meat that is saturated in a lot of juice; the juicer the meat, the more flavorful it is.   Sometimes I will mash down the meat in the container on the buffet, just to get a little more juice on my serving.

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11620
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/22 09:58:50 (permalink)
    We went there last August with Al the Mayor, his wife Janet and PovertyPete (RIP) met us there.  We all got the buffet.  MH and I never, ever do buffets but we did at Moonlight and everything was good.  There is a lot to choose from!!  We liked the mutton but found it to be a little dry.  Dig underneath and get the stuff that's been sitting in the juices!
    post edited by lleechef - 2015/12/22 13:54:32
    kozel
    • Total Posts : 1178
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/22 11:14:11 (permalink)
    My son & I opted for the buffet at lunch 2-3 years ago.  No regrets because of the variety & quality.  The place is super clean, almost freaky.
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 782
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/22 22:07:01 (permalink)

Thanks, all, for the tips. We did the buffet and pretty much followed all recs here: we started with just chopped mutton and sliced mutton BBQ, to try them on their own, then moved on to seconds and other offerings. This was our first taste of BBQ mutton and we weren't disappointed: star of the show. I slightly preferred the chopped to the sliced, but both were outstanding. I don't usually get corn at restaurants, but took Louis's advice and am glad I did. Also enjoyed the green beans and burgoo. And the desserts.... Tried blackberry cobbler, pecan pie, banana pudding, coconut cream pie, and buttermilk pie. All were delicious, but really liked the coconut cream pie, and pretty much fell head over heels in love with the buttermilk pie. That was outstanding, and now I have to find recipes.

Thanks again! Tomorrow is a stop in Nashville for hot chicken before heading to Macon.
    Louis
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/24 14:18:47 (permalink)
    I am glad you tried the white corn at the Moonlite.  I usually avoid corn at buffets, but what they serve there is unusually good, which is why I highly recommend it.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3585
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/25 09:22:00 (permalink)
    Louis is my go to authority on foods Kentucky. I had mutton twice in my life and hated it both times. I'm with Louis and he suggests I give it another try. I do  and it was my highlight dish too. If Louis says something is tasty, you can take that to the bank.
    Louis
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/25 10:26:20 (permalink)
    I don't make a lot of recommendations on this site, but when I do my criterion is this: If it's not worth the effort for someone to take a 100-mile out-of-their-way drive to get there, then don't make a recommendation.  There are a lot of places that you can eat and can have a standard, satisfactory meal.  But for it to be a recommendation on Roadfood, it had better be excellent.  For food to be good is just not enough to win a recommendation.  It really has to knock your socks off.  That is the criterion that I would want if Roadfooders made a recommendation to me.

lleechef
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 11620
    Re: Last Minute Question. Moonlite BBQ (owensboro, KY) Buffet or Menu? 2015/12/25 13:22:48 (permalink)
    Louis
    I don't make a lot of recommendations on this site, but when I do my criterion is this: If it's not worth the effort for someone to take a 100-mile out-of-their-way drive to get there, then don't make a recommendation.  There are a lot of places that you can eat and can have a standard, satisfactory meal.  But for it to be a recommendation on Roadfood, it had better be excellent.  For food to be good is just not enough to win a recommendation.  It really has to knock your socks off.  That is the criterion that I would want if Roadfooders made a recommendation to me.

Yes!  Me too!  Spoken from a true Roadfooder. 
    Jump to:
    © 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5