Little town gets big marks for pizza

Author
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 664
2016/02/06 15:04:21 (permalink)

Little town gets big marks for pizza

My home town of Winona MN, right on the beautiful Mississippi is home to Bloedow's (rhymes with Play-dough's) Bakery , voted a few years ago the best donut shop in Minnesota, and they ARE good.  They open at 7 AM, and there is nothing as good as arriving shortly after and getting one of their still warm, raised glazed donuts.  During the week, business is steady and regular, but on Saturday, forget it.  There is always a line way out the door, and down the sidewalk, and weather doesn't stop anyone.  They are reviewed in the Restaurant section here, and words just don't describe them.  Locals still chuckle at the audacity of Krispy Kreme, who came to town, opened up, and promptly left, realizing they were no competition at all.

Well, very glad to add pizza to the list.  We have two perennial favorites in town, both from the 50's, and both great in their own right, Rocco's and Sammy's.  They both deserve awards in their own right, but Sammy's got it this time.  Hooray for them, they have offered small-town, personal service for over 50 years, and always know their customers well.  

In the old days, with the original Nick the founder, a guy who might be close to payday but needed to take his girl out could always count on Nick putting it on the cuff til payday.

They have the classic, thin crust, thin style square cut.  And we had one yesterday, still got a half dozen pieces leftover, and darned if I'm not getting hungry, because.

http://www.winonadailynews.com/news/local/winona-s-sammy-s-pizza-named-to-pizza-hall-of/article_6b881cfd-1c10-5a7d-bd83-1ec9db4d158d.html

9 Replies Related Threads

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 9240
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/06 15:46:32 (permalink)
    I see there's a Sammy's in Minot, ND...isn't that where WarToad lives?

1bbqboy
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5877
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/07 12:00:23 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

WHAT!?! Sammy's is a chain? Now we know what that means.
    Our forum police should arrive soon to correct this terrible injustice. 
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/08 06:32:34 (permalink)
    There's about seven or eight, I think, scattered around the Upper Midwest, all owned by family members, who use the same original recipes.  They have a specialty called 'beef and onion' that is just terrific.

There is one in Green Bay too, just a few blocks down the street from Lambeau Field.

Technically, they must be a chain, I suppose, but I never thought of them that way
    stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2770
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/08 10:26:05 (permalink)
    Where in Winona is this? I remember driving a ways off the freeway to find a Taco Bell and a McDonald's.
    WarToad
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2163
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/08 11:06:01 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

There is indeed a Sammy's in Minot.  Don't go looking for east coast authenticity, I would call it very mid-west in style, bring-the-whole-family in orientation.  The fennel sausage is outstanding.  Quite a few of the Minot AFB personnel hit it pretty hard on the weekends so expect a 20-30 min wait.  I suppose all here know though a packed dining room is a sign of food worth waiting for.

easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/02/09 20:26:58 (permalink)
    stricken_detective
    Where in Winona is this? I remember driving a ways off the freeway to find a Taco Bell and a McDonald's.

yes, stricken, if you're coming off I-90, you'd have several miles to actually get to town, and then you'd have to go across town too.  (It's all a pretty drive, though.)  

It's located on Second Street right downtown, and Second Street means two blocks from the River.

So it would take a little time, but if you had it to spare, I think you'd like it, cause everybody does.  They have a specialty called "beef and onion," different than just a mixture of the two, it's a different thing they have made.  And it's good!

But you're probably tired of travelling by then, and might want to consider a place in La Crosse that is just a hop off the freeway, and plenty of good food -- it's bar food, but done right.  Nutbush City Limits looks like a biker bar, but it's just a friendly, family place.

https://www.facebook.com/NutbushCityLimitsBarGrill/

And Sammy's Winona:

https://mysammys.com/locations/winona/

stricken_detective
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2770
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/03/01 00:09:11 (permalink)
    Thank you.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3661
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/03/01 17:58:15 (permalink)
    Say easydoesit, have you ever been to Sullivan's in Trempealeau? It's a supper club that you may enjoy.  I've been to Winona several times and always enjoyed it. Ask an old timer about the Hot Fish Shoppe; have some Kleenex handy. My ex BIL went to college there many many years ago.

post edited by MilwFoodlovers - 2016/03/01 17:59:53
    easydoesit
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re: Little town gets big marks for pizza 2016/03/02 18:18:02 (permalink)
    Oh, yes sir, we know those places well.  Hot Fish Shop, especially, and I recognize so well that iconic picture you published.  That's it!  And when we had company come to town, which was regular, that was THE only place to take them.

I liked what you said, ask an old-timer.  That's me!

You can see Sugar Loaf (left over from quarrying) up above, and we kids in the "sugar loaf gang" would climb up it regular.  But we had a favorite trick with the Hot Fish Shop on Sunday mornings -- when their front door had a line way outside into the parking lot, half hour to get in, the rear kitchen door was totally unguarded, and at the mercy of us local poor unfed urchins, who begged for one of their best things, which was french fries and tartar.

And those lovely, smiling ladies in the kitchen, basically all someone's mother -- they always came through!  And free.  I am talking late 50's and on a bit....

Restaurant is long gone now, but their famous (and it was) tartar sauce is still available from a family member using the family recipe.  They will have the story of Mose on the website.

My sister lives in Meno Falls, and it's a regular thing to bring along a half dozen jars for her and her friends when we come over.  It's pretty good.

http://www.mosestartarsauce.com/

As far as Sullivans, again, yes, looms large in our young memories, say around mid sixties.  They were quite renowned then, for sure, and rightly so.  But they went through some ownership changes, and also quality issues, several years ago, and we've just stayed away.

We were there once in maybe 2007, not good...but maybe it's improved?  We would try again, if you recommend.  

A new Arby's just opened up, how's that for progress?

If you head to I-90 from that area, have you stopped at Nutbush City Limits, just north of the freeway?  Very handy to I-90 and excellent food.  And it's a family place pretending to be a biker bar.  

http://www.yelp.com/biz/nutbush-city-limits-la-crosse

There's more....  Here's a BIG up and comer, in nearby West Salem.  They started selling their barbecue out of a truck, which they still do.  But their success allowed them to open up a full service restaurant on the main drag in town.  These guys are good!  Says me, anyway.  And everyone around here.

http://bigboarsmokers.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5