Helpful ReplyHot!Local Donuts 'n' Coffee

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 996
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2015/02/04 13:13:06 (permalink)
For me ... my favorite coffee or coffee-and-donut place is anywhere with a fireplace.  In the wintertime anyway.

The local Panera Bread near me had a fireplace ... but it closed.
Now, the nearest place to sit and have a cup of coffee in front of a fireplace is the Wendy's hamburgers about 7 miles away.
Not to be too uncritical about my coffee ... or baked goods for that matter ... but to me, it's about the environment and the ambiance.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2654
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/11 15:15:28 (permalink)
I just took a trip down memory lane and read this thread back to the beginning. We had some better posts in those days, and more people making them. I wonder how many of the mentioned places are still in biz?

A few times in this thread we talked about Helens in Worcester. They are as much a breakfast place as bakery these days. They had only a few dozen donuts on display yesterday, but the one that I bought was excellent.
thefatspice1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/11 18:42:44 (permalink)
DD no longer make their donuts in-store. They are delivered frozen. The stores just defrost then rack them.
Root-Beer Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1346
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/11 20:05:25 (permalink)
thefatspice1
DD no longer make their donuts in-store. They are delivered frozen. The stores just defrost then rack them.

And that's why i do not patronise Dunkin.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 9205
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/11 21:37:51 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man
thefatspice1

And that's why i do not patronise Dunkin.

Garbage!!!
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/13 14:53:42 (permalink)
We will soon (?) have a new place in Millbury. Rocco's Donuts has paper over the window, and a sign that says they will open in "early 2018". It has taken them about 6 months to do a build out in the former Johns Pizza. (FYI for those looking for info, the couple that ran Johns for many years, passed a few years ago. It stayed open on occasional weekends, but eventually didn't re open, and the Rocco "coming soon" sign appeared.) Rocco's is one door down, in a little strip store, from the former "Queens Cups", which has moved to a better/bigger/nicer location in Worcester. Rocco's and Queens Cups can both be found on the internet if you are interested.

The sign says that Rocco's will sell hand cut donuts and store roasted coffee. We will see if people pass them to get to a DD, or if they are good enough for folks to pass DD to get to Rocco's. Even though they are , IMO, usually better, independents have a really tough time in this area. It is interesting to me, because independent pizza places beat the living snot out of chain pizza places around here. What is it that makes DD a brand that the same people seek out, who sneer at Domino's?  
post edited by tmiles - 2018/01/13 15:07:27
1bbqboy
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5522
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/01/13 15:15:42 (permalink)
We don't really have a donut/ pasteries prescence in the Rogue Valley. We lost our only local donut joint because they retired and moved, but one of our many local coffee places will take it over, with shipped in stuff.
Vegan donuts are big here, which is a sad day for humanity as far as I'm concerned.
Live Dangerously, enjoy something bad for you before you're shuffled off the mound! :)
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/07 18:09:31 (permalink)
thefatspice1

After dropping his little bomb, this guy never came back............I wonder if he/she is real.
A few days ago Channel 5 WCVB Boston did a "Chronicle" segment on local donuts. Donuts are making a comeback in Boston, and they featured 5 or 6 places that I'd like to visit.
They also visited a local DD that still makes donuts in store. They have a donut guy who comes in the middle of the night, just like the guy in the old ads "Time to make the donuts". Most DD stores get factory made fresh (NOT frozen) donuts shipped in. I don't patronize DD, myself, but this lie shouldn't stand.
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 195
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/08 10:09:24 (permalink)
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet."
              -- Abraham Lincoln
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6802
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/09 20:32:07 (permalink)
An old nostalgic thread. I'm amazed how many times Krispy Kreme is mentioned. I first became curious about them when the red light came on at the Nora Indianapolis store. So, I drove through and ordered one donut. The manager was curious as to why. I didn't know why other than out of curiosity but explained I was killing time until visiting hours for my mother in St. Vincent's Hospital. He handed me a dozen on the house and I distributed them at the nurse's station. That's my introduction to Krispy Kreme. They have come and gone from most markets. I helped enthusiastically introduce Krispy Kreme to the Minnesota market in 1992 at the Mall of America. It was fascinating with their assembly line look see at first. They long since have gone from there. I was also responsible for getting them in Target Stores as part of the team. Again they have long since gone away. Then they opened up new stores themselves and put them in convenient stores. That's their demise. Their fabled red light fresh uniqueness went away with all those venues as well as over exposure.

Long's in Indianapolis still endures. The World's Best in Grand Marias, MN still stands up. They're independents. My all time favorite was Lincoln Del in St. Louis Park, MN. They've been gone awhile now. I probably stood in line for their donuts with Thomas Friedman, the Coen brothers and Al Franken because they all lived in the neighborhood back in the 70's and there were long lines every Sunday morning. I didn't know them before they became famous but they had to love Lincoln Del donuts. 
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/19 10:24:56 (permalink)
Rocco's, a local independent, will have a "grand opening" on the 1st Saturday in March. I wish them luck!! I'll post a review after I try them.
hatteras04
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1316
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/19 11:34:25 (permalink)
I see a couple of trends in donuts here in Columbus.  The first is to have places that make one type of donut and then you get to choose from hundreds of possible combinations for toppings.  Duck Donuts has two locations like that here and we also have Amy's donuts and Peace, Love, and Donuts that do the same style.  I've only been to Peace, Love, and Donuts and they had just opened so were still ironing out the service kinks.  They were good but not worth the long wait. 

The second trend is expensive gourmet donuts that run around $3 each.  There is one in our North Market that I really don't care for.  The donuts are way to dense and bready and even though the toppings are creative they just are not enjoyable.  There is one that I really like though - Tupelo Doughnuts.  They have two trucks right now that go all over but are mainly based in my neighborhood of Clintonville.  They are also working on a brick & mortar location in our area.  Yes they are $3 but I've loved all of them that I've tried.  The brown butter hazelnut is my favorite.  They have a creme brulee one that they make taste like a proper brulee.  They even use a torch (pictures in yelp).  The donut holes are also great - orange cardamom.  One additional treat with Tupelo is that they serve really great coffee for $1 from a local roaster - Brioso.  Give them a try if you;re in the area. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tupelo-doughnuts-columbus

hpx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 236
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/21 22:34:53 (permalink)
thefatspice1

Dunkin has made it clear they no longer want to be in the donut business. The margins on their crummy sandwiches and sour coffee is much much higher and doesnt go stale like donuts do. And yes they get them in frozen and defrost them.

As for local donut places, the last one in this area just closed up for good. I know because I bought all of their ancient equipment. Big hulking last forever machines that have been so taken care of for the last 40 years.

No one wants a good quality product and good service anymore. 
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/02/23 19:19:48 (permalink)
hpx

I disagree.......IMO, they want the above, but most of "they" are just not willing to pay for it. But maybe they will be willing to pay..............

As has been mentioned in this thread since it was revived, the $3 donut is now around at a bunch of places. That is a lot of money for a donut, one might say, but people are buying them. Yes, $3 might be a lot for a donut, but $3 is not much for an experience. I think that just as people have become used to better coffee for a lot more money, they will warm to the "expensive" donut. Look at what Starbuck gets for fairly good, brought in stuff. IMO, when you look at it that way, a very, very, fresh donut made from top quality stuff, in store, by a pastry chief, is a steal at $3. 

When my new local shop opens, I hope that they focus on the top quality, single donut sales, rather than the "dozen" market. The dozen market became a "race to the bottom", years ago, as stores struggled to meet the price expectations of their buyers buy cutting quality, and as the donuts became calorie bombs without the pleasure, folks stopped buying them.

I don't "know" any of them, but the pros who post on the Roadfood pro thread seem to be (in general) of the opinion, that they work hard to deliver quality. The fact that they stay in business, says to me, that top products CAN be priced for profit.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/03 18:59:12 (permalink)
hpx

As for local donut places, the last one in this area just closed up for good. I know because I bought all of their ancient equipment. Big hulking last forever machines that have been so taken care of for the last 40 years.

They do in my home town of Millbury. I had planned to report on the grand opening of Roccos Donuts today, but I couldn't get near the place. One person posted on the local web site that she waited 2 hours and it was "totally worth it". Others waited longer and got nothing because they sold out. 

Update, Sunday the next day.................I saw only a short line today at 10:30, so I stopped, but they were almost sold out. The line was for coffee,,,,,,,,,,,maybe I'll get to try mid week. I still can't get the facebook link to work.
post edited by tmiles - 2018/03/04 11:44:45
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/06 20:18:03 (permalink)
tmiles
hpx

They do in my home town of Millbury. I had planned to report on the grand opening of Roccos Donuts today, but I couldn't get near the place. One person posted on the local web site that she waited 2 hours and it was "totally worth it". Others waited longer and got nothing because they sold out. 

Update, Sunday the next day.................I saw only a short line today at 10:30, so I stopped, but they were almost sold out. The line was for coffee,,,,,,,,,,,maybe I'll get to try mid week. I still can't get the facebook link to work.

Is Mike's in Leicester still in business? I have not been there in a long time, they seemed to be a good "old school" donut shop.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/11 14:53:38 (permalink)
Wistah......

Is Mike's in Leicester still in business? I have not been there in a long time, they seemed to be a good "old school" donut shop.

I've been, but not recently. They do seem to be "old school", but at least when I went, nothing special. They are near where I get my screens fixed, so I'll need to go soon. I'll try to stop and report.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 716
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/11 18:49:29 (permalink)
My favorite place in St Charles, MO; Mario's Donuts and Cafe.   Great donuts, coffee, and good lunch spot, too, with good gyros, among other things (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense, but it works).  The staff is friendly, and the donuts are my favorite....nothing stupid or strange, like bacon or chilies on the donuts.  (both have their place, just not on my breakfast pastry)  

http://cafemario.com/

Another good place is Old Town Donuts, Cottleville location.    Outstanding donuts.

http://oldtowndonuts.com/menu/

tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/13 11:00:56 (permalink)
the grillman....  The staff is friendly, and the donuts are my favorite....nothing stupid or strange, like bacon or chilies on the donuts.  (both have their place, just not on my breakfast pastry)  

Boy, do I agree with THAT. A few of the new , trendy, $3 donut, places near and in Boston have stuff like that. I want to try those new places, but I'll stick with the tried and true flavors. As a state, Massachusetts, small as we are, is really 2 states,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,inside the 495 beltway (some might even say inside of 95), and out here. I'm near Worcester, and folks in Boston think that I'm out in the Berkshires (over 50 miles west of me). We do have some cool/trendy stuff out west in NoHo (Northampton), but generally the Worcester market, like me, stays with the tried and true.
post edited by tmiles - 2018/03/18 11:36:23
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/03/18 11:48:46 (permalink)
I finally got to try Rocco's today. I waited 15 minutes to buy 6 donuts (the limit), and let the order taker pick from what was left. The donuts are larger than usual, and are great, reminding me of the old , and missed, Butler's (Westport MA). They are also as good as the little ones that the former Cottage Doughnuts used to sell. I especially liked the filled donuts at Butler and the glazed at Cottage, but alas, Rocco was out. The six costed me $16 w/tax and 15% tip. Some are $1.85, and others $3. They were still making them when I got there, and my order included 1 choc/dipped cruller, 2 cinn/sug donuts, 1 pbutter/choc w/Resses Pieces,  1 maple bun, and 1 van/iced bun. It was mostly local customers, but NY and CT plates have been seen in the lot. A couple of 10 minute parking signs have gone up to protect JTs C store, next door.

Knowing what I have learned, the experience was no surprise. Rocco learned his trade at Cottage, and was an owner of a very early Dunkin franchise. That they manage to pump out any volume at all in the tiny store (600 sq ft total???) is proof of professional management. I don't, however, believe the 400 dozen a day rumor. In my 15 minutes, I saw about 75 donuts go out the door. That would be about 300 'nuts per hour, x 4 =1200, or 100 dozen. Still IMO, impressive.
post edited by tmiles - 2018/03/19 11:35:58
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/04/01 08:53:32 (permalink)
It is only one town over, but I don't get to Oxford, Mass very often. Yesterday I had to go to Oxford Insurance, so I made it a point to go to the near by N & J Donuts. Going through their door is like stepping into a time portal. Everything is as we remember from about 1965, except for updated prices. Single doughnuts are now a buck, reasonable by today's pricing, and a line at 10AM on a Friday shows the local appreciation. There is a LOT of stuff on the internet if you want to check 'em out.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/04/01 19:12:49 (permalink)
tmiles
It is only one town over, but I don't get to Oxford, Mass very often. Yesterday I had to go to Oxford Insurance, so I made it a point to go to the near by N & J Donuts. Going through their door is like stepping into a time portal. Everything is as we remember from about 1965, except for updated prices. Single doughnuts are now a buck, reasonable by today's pricing, and a line at 10AM on a Friday shows the local appreciation. There is a LOT of stuff on the internet if you want to check 'em out.

YES!!! N&J....Another local classic shop that makes them on site.  And practically next door to Carl's Diner, a Roadfood gem if there ever was one.

Another quaint donut shop similar to N&J is Colonial Donuts in Taunton.
tmiles
Filet Mignon
Re: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/04/20 08:41:01 (permalink)
We have had another "new" donut place open. This one is in a fairly new pizza place, and the owners must be trying to spread the overhead over more open hours. The donuts are OK/average, and I don't know if they are store made. In that this review is just average, I have not named the store.
Theindiansun
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: Local Donuts 'n' Coffee 2018/05/16 05:48:44 (permalink)
I love all types of Donuts not like actually I love it.
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5