Hot!Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11404
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 14:50:45 (permalink)
Airport Village! 

You walked far!

Sorry to correct but it was on Centinella.  (I'm older than you)
The owner of Tito's Tacos started at Airport Village and the entire property was owned by the Leonard family. It was put out of buisness by the building of I405, The San Diego Freeway.
I worked at Leonard's in the 70s.

My favorite place from when I was very young was Scott's Hamburgers or its predecessor, MacFarland's Hamburger's.

A little bit older it became Woody's Smogasburger where I ate until the very last location closed and I was in my late 40s.
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 15:16:49 (permalink)
Tippy's, in Jersey City NJ.  Char broiled burgers, crisp fries, tasty cokes and pizza.  Ahh the memories. 
Ketteract
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 964
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 16:39:01 (permalink)
Another Davenport joint: Kimberly Smorgasbord at the Village Shopping Center on Kimberly Road, in the '80s, before Old Country Buffet and Golden Corral made their way into town.  Since then it's become an OCB, and is probably something else by now.  Truth be told, all I can remember is that it was a buffet, and that, as a little kid, I was always very excited to go there.  I can't remember anything about the quality of the food.  
IndianaPete
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 17:30:46 (permalink)
Davydd
Al Green's Drive-in in Indianapolis was my initiation to the humongous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It closed long ago but was a classic that lives on.

I remember that place, but I don't think I was ever there.  First good tenderloin that I remember was The Pole @ 16th and Lafayette Rd.
camolot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 17:55:31 (permalink)
Itchyfoot Moe's near Cal State Los Angeles on Valley Blvd.  Best Italian steak sandwich. This was in the early sixties. It was a beer bar that was a college hangout.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 18:02:50 (permalink)
IndianaPete
Davydd
Al Green's Drive-in in Indianapolis was my initiation to the humongous breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. It closed long ago but was a classic that lives on.

I remember that place, but I don't think I was ever there.  First good tenderloin that I remember was The Pole @ 16th and Lafayette Rd.

Ah yes, the Pole Drive-in was my "home base" in high school. We were all territorial about our drive-ins back in the late 50s and 60s. It is still there as a used car lot or something I believe. At first we could circle and circle it until a space opened up where you backed in and faced the drive-in building in a circle. It got so popular that they routed you in one entrance then out an exit requiring you to go around the block to re-enter. Quite the parade. Once you got a spot you slouched down in your seat to be cool and sipped your drink slowly while watching the parade. Then one summer guys started trailering boats through and it became epidemic. The odd thing is with a trailered boat you couldn't back in and park.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3004
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 19:50:29 (permalink)
MH, finish this ..........Jerry's _____ 
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4543
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 19:50:52 (permalink)
mar52
Airport Village! 

You walked far!

The owner of Tito's Tacos started at Airport Village and the entire property was owned by the Leonard family. It was put out of buisness by the building of I405, The San Diego Freeway.

You are right, but......
There were four locations. The one I grew up going to was the one on Manchester Ave. near Airport Blvd. I could never have walked to Centinela!

I used to love Woody's Smorgasburger on Sepulveda.
howardm
Junior Burger
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 20:38:22 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
Ketteract

In downtown Iowa City, on Washington Street I think, there was a Chinese restaurant called Easy Place.  Burned down shortly after I arrived for college in 1998.

I hope that was merely a coincidence...

Brad

Trying to find Prince Castle page I saw before I joined.  The postings were of Prince Castles in Chicago area, but I was covering a territory in Indiana and lived on North side and only knew them from Indiana.  Thought facade was stone.
mar52
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11404
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 21:22:17 (permalink)
EdSails
mar52
Airport Village! 

You walked far!

You are right, but......
There were four locations. The one I grew up going to was the one on Manchester Ave. near Airport Blvd. I could never have walked to Centinela!

I used to love Woody's Smorgasburger on Sepulveda.

Aha!  I didn't know about the 4 locations.   I miss Woody's.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15787
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/03 21:57:32 (permalink)
S0Cal childhood memories are few and far between, but I will attempt some recall here-

Classy place where Mother and step father took us to 'nice dinners-' double tableclothes and silver soup tureens rolled around to the tables. Learned my table manners there  CHALONS (spelling close) on Manchester between Van Ness and Crenshaw

National Chain that we enjoyed often for Prime Rib, One in South Bay L A area , one in Indy and one in Louisville, I got a ton of twofer coupons over the years and took advantage of them as they incuded the bar bill in the twofer offer---VICTORIA STATION

In Victorville,CA before the I-15, on the US 66 the RED LOG INN a Road House whose neon roof lighting could be seen from the summit of Cajon Pass 20 miles away. Never entered  at night but in daytime it had great truckers lunches for cheap and a loud jukebox.

THE APPLE VALLEY INN social center of the community in the High Desert. Partially owned by Roy and Dale over the years in partnership with other investers. After 50 years or so it folded . We were present the last night the restaurant and bar were open, also present were Roy and Dale and the entire cast of the TV show TWIN PEAKs that had been filming in the community that week and staying at the Inn.  We had a  great dinner and swapped stories of growing up in 'rural' Apple Valley.  It was a good evening.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Valley_Inn

Moving EAST  I have two to add...MCINTYRES CLAM STAND  in Rowley, Mass, as good or better than the Clam Shack in Ipswich in its day.. A big stand located at the jct of US 1 (not 1A) and MA-133. Busy as hell all the season. plenty of picnic tables or eat in your car.  Typical menu.  but fresh and huge portions. Last there in 1968. Gone but not forgotten 

Finally-  In Warwick Rhode Riland-  THE ROCKY POINT SHORE DINING HALL (and Amusement Park). We only ate there one time, but had hoped to return. What a unique experience that was. Go back to one of the Stern's older editions of ROADFOOD and read of what a Shore Dinner was... 

OK that's a few from the old guy.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 11954
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 02:25:20 (permalink)
Conner's Diner in my hometown St. Marys, PA.
A real railroad car that sat next to the Railway Express Train Station and he served the best Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches and French Fries smothered in Gravy I've ever had. Great Burgers too!
It always tasted best after the Youth Center Dance let out @ 11 PM on Friday nights!
post edited by Foodbme - 2014/09/04 02:28:41
starfire62
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 263
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 04:49:55 (permalink)
al  they brought back rocky point as a food truck at the ann+hope plaza.check it out on new england bites. in their june 13th story.  remember mccraes clamstand on rt 6 outside of fall river?they were great.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 05:08:34 (permalink)
Didn't know much about the south shore or Fall river area, we lived near Haverhill and I commuted to Salem State back in the 60's. Most of out time was spent on North Shore and Merrimack Valley. My Ex taught in Rowley while I worked the HoJo's on I-95 in same area. before the new road was built. Haven't been back in that area since Y2K
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 22506
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 12:31:41 (permalink)
pnwchef
MH, finish this ..........Jerry's _____ 

Apizza, 187 Pequonnock Street.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 427
Re:Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 12:39:10 (permalink)
The South End Tavern in Troy, NY.  Their Half & Half sandwiches were the best. 
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10007
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 12:40:27 (permalink)
mayor al

Finally-  In Warwick Rhode Riland-  THE ROCKY POINT SHORE DINING HALL (and Amusement Park). We only ate there one time, but had hoped to return. What a unique experience that was. Go back to one of the Stern's older editions of ROADFOOD and read of what a Shore Dinner was... 

Al

Rocky Point Shore Dining Hall may be closed and long dead, but it is certainly not forgotten. It's an intricate part of the fabric of Rhode Island Lore and Legend, so I don't think it would apply to this thread
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 13:22:28 (permalink)
Dale,  Your age and focused interest is showing.  I would venture to bet that if you put a question about the Shore dinner at that facility, to a group of average people under 25 yrs of age in R I..even those in Warwick,  few would know anything about the place.
wanderingjew
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10007
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 14:14:15 (permalink)
mayor al
Dale,  Your age and focused interest is showing.  I would venture to bet that if you put a question about the Shore dinner at that facility, to a group of average people under 25 yrs of age in R I..even those in Warwick,  few would know anything about the place.

Al,

You'd be surprised, even my coworkers who are in their early 30's have heard of "The Beatles". I bet those "kids" under 25 who have never been to the place have heard about it from their parents.... It's a Rhode Island Icon.
Kinda like this guy....

EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4543
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 15:03:11 (permalink)
Mayor Al,

A splurge when I was dating and first married was to go to Victoria Station, which for a time was located right at the top of the hill near the Universal Amphitheatre and the Universal Studios Tour. It was a fun place to go. 

I spent my first honeymoon at the Apple Valley Inn. That was in 1975. I don't remember seeing Roy or Dale, but they did have a wagon ride for a cocktails and steaks dinner. It really was nice, out in the desert. 

Ed
SeamusD
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1094
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 15:50:54 (permalink)
Italia Rex, Auburn, NY.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/guyclinch/133275441/

Every special family occasion that called for going out to eat when I was a youngster, we'd go there. I don't remember exactly when it closed, but it has to be at least 30 years ago. There's been another Italian place in the building for a couple decades now, good food also.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 16:35:19 (permalink)
The place I remember most fondly in the Twin Cities, now long closed, was the Lincoln Del on West Lake Street in St. Louis Park, MN. It was a short walk of a few short sided blocks from our first home in Minneapolis. The Jewish deli food was genuine. The pastries and donuts were outstanding. When my parents visited from Indianapolis, going for the donuts was a must and I fondly remember my dad's enthusiasm for that Sunday morning ritual. St. Louis Park back in the 70s was the Jewish area of the Twin Cities along with the Highland Park area in St. Paul. Without a doubt, St. Louis Park natives, Al Franken, the Coen brothers, and columnist Thomas Friedman, might have crossed my path there. I was there enough, eating in the restaurant frequently, buying the donuts and bagels, or buying pastrami and corned beef to take home. They opened two other restaurants in that era but they didn't have the character of the West Lake Street location.

http://www.slphistory.org/history/lincolndel.asp
Jplr27ln
Junior Burger
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2014/09/04 16:45:07 (permalink)
UncMort's in  Jasper Alabama. Best breakfast ever.
hickory smoked Canadian Bacon and wonderful biscuits!!
1956MarkII
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/20 13:50:21 (permalink)
SeamusD
Italia Rex, Auburn, NY.

Every special family occasion that called for going out to eat when I was a youngster, we'd go there. I don't remember exactly when it closed, but it has to be at least 30 years ago. There's been another Italian place in the building for a couple decades now, good food also.

SeamusD, before it was Italia Rex it was Dahres Manor, owned by my Uncle John and Aunt Ruth. They also operated Ruth's Diner and the famous Awful Waffle House, both in downtown Auburn.
BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1426
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/20 15:40:21 (permalink)
Poppy's Grill in the French Quarter, in the 80's ridiculously cheap 3-egg omelets, with a Wurlitzer playing R&B oldies.  It was mostly a hangout for locals that visitors didn't know about.  
Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 1130
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/20 15:54:21 (permalink)
mayor al

I remember Rocky Point from my childhood. We used to go to the amusement park there all the time when it was open. Loved their little roller coaster. While I don't remember eating at the Dining Hall, I am sure we must have, as Rocky Point was an all day adventure for the family. I caught my first fish down the road from RP with my dad and my uncle Bill. It was a tog. Ugly mother of a fish but it was a big one, armed as I was with a small Zebco. Also caught an eel that same day.

From the same area..the Quonset Point Drive In Theater. We used to go all the time, (my dad moonlighted there). They had the best clam cakes in the area and they were fried in what looked like lard, but could have been a crisco like oil. It had to be remelted every day. Their drink machines were carboys filled with syrup and hefted on top of the bank of soda dispensers. Really old school tech. Saw many a movie there.
post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2016/06/20 15:59:31
Louis
  • Total Posts : 1093
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/20 18:43:31 (permalink)
For me the fondest memory is Ferrell's Hamburgers in Henderson, KY.  Those hamburgers had a flavor that has never been duplicated.  There was (and still is) a chain of Ferrell's still in existence in western Kentucky (only two left now), but the one in Henderson was the only one that had that individual flavor, which came from both the type of "meat concoction" used--and the grill, which gave the burgers a taste that the other Ferrell's didn't have.

Things were going well from 1941 until around 1973 when the government stepped in and said that the nation's hamburgers had to have 100% pure beef.  Well, from that point forward, those hamburgers at Ferrell's still had some of their distinctiveness, but they never had the flavor impact that they had before.  Still, it was a great treat--and you could get 5 good-sized hamburgers for a dollar.

post edited by Louis - 2016/06/20 18:44:53
scrumptiouschef
  • Total Posts : 1788
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/22 19:09:12 (permalink)
York Steakhouse, Fayette Mall, Lexington Kentucky. $3 steaks that didn't taste like an old boot and excellent Roquefort dressing on ice cold wedges.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7853
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/22 20:50:04 (permalink)
Louis
There was (and still is) a chain of Ferrell's still in existence in western Kentucky (only two left now), but the one in Henderson was the only one that had that individual flavor, which came from both the type of "meat concoction" used--and the grill, which gave the burgers a taste that the other Ferrell's didn't have.

Things were going well from 1941 until around 1973 when the government stepped in and said that the nation's hamburgers had to have 100% pure beef.  Well, from that point forward, those hamburgers at Ferrell's still had some of their distinctiveness, but they never had the flavor impact that they had before.

Have you ever felt compelled to find the cause of that distinctiveness?  Or hasn't anything ever "triggered" that feeling?

scrumptiouschef
York Steakhouse, Fayette Mall, Lexington Kentucky. $3 steaks that didn't taste like an old boot and excellent Roquefort dressing on ice cold wedges.

Was there ever a 1970s mall that didn't have a York?
chickenplucker
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 701
Re: Local joints that are closed, long-dead, forgotten... but YOU remember. Oh yes. 2016/06/22 21:15:27 (permalink)
When I was a kid in Tifton, GA we would go on Sunday after church to Davis Brothers Cafeteria. They always had a huge steamship round at the very end being hand carved by a guy in a chefs hat. I thought that was the fanciest place in the world back then.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.5